Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RC Cola posted:

Listen to me when I tell you to cut luke now for leia or r2. If either of them are g8 it's a worthwhile replacement.

Luke is g9, Leia is g8, and R2 is g9. Pretty sure that's why I went with cutting Leia instead of Luke, higher gear level meant higher numbers. But I'll make the switch, you guys have convinced me. And gear up Leia once I'm not in the middle of, like, 5 other "required" things I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Is there some special tactic for the Thrawn event? I had G10 ezra, G8 Hera (L), Zeb, Kanan and Chopper. All uniques omegaed. I'd get wiped on the last round every time. Once or twice I'd kill a deathtrooper but most times I couldn't even manage that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ahdinko posted:

Is there some special tactic for the Thrawn event? I had G10 ezra, G8 Hera (L), Zeb, Kanan and Chopper. All uniques omegaed. I'd get wiped on the last round every time. Once or twice I'd kill a deathtrooper but most times I couldn't even manage that.

You are not alone. That pretty much describes how it went for me too. The general consensus is that it's largely RNG dependent. As in some people would play over 100 times, and suddenly it would go super easy for them, scoring all crits, taking no crits, etc. It has me worried that I still won't be able to gear up PS enough that I can rest easy, going into the event.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

you need to do a couple things:

.5) be sure to put good mods on your dudes.
1.) dispell stormtrooper taunt
2.) stagger/dispell deathtrooper buffs
3.) get taunt and back-up plan up on kanaan
4.) profit

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I quit this game years ago when ships came out, but watching Rebels made me want to play again. (1) Is there any fun to be had without a hardcore competitive grind and (2) How much will I hate myself?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

WerrWaaa posted:

I quit this game years ago when ships came out, but watching Rebels made me want to play again. (1) Is there any fun to be had without a hardcore competitive grind and (2) How much will I hate myself?

Yes, and alot. Qgj has an opening of you want in
They added thrawn and Phoenix squadron. And fulcrum

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

Have ships been out for years? If so I may need to reevaluate how I spend my time

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I exaggerate

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

What do I need to give you to get an invite into QGJ?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

WerrWaaa posted:

What do I need to give you to get an invite into QGJ?

Click on your name while in the cantina, write down the 9 digits underneath your name in the screen that opens up, post those numbers here.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

What level are you? If you’re 50 or lower take the advice in the OP and start over, unless you’re super invested in your roster. You will have an infinitely easier time in arena if you do.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

wisdomHNOX posted:

What level are you? If you’re 50 or lower take the advice in the OP and start over, unless you’re super invested in your roster. You will have an infinitely easier time in arena if you do.

Take this advice. I’m on a super populated west coast shard, play every day, and I’ve never broken the top 1000

im cute fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 5, 2017

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I kicked waah :( there is a spot now

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I’m down to join QGJ if there’s room:
Pacouranga
141-341-135

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

wisdomHNOX posted:

I remember werrwaa. He's 85 with a reasonable roster. He's probably not in terrible shape.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

im cute posted:

I’m down to join QGJ if there’s room:
Pacouranga
141-341-135

Invited

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

WerrWaaa posted:

Oh man, welcome back.

1) Fixed, and no.
2) How much do you want to hate yourself? I'm pretty sure the game has a setting for that.

In a lot of ways, the game has gotten a lot better. There have been a lot some QoL improvements, although a lot more are needed, and they've at least added more content, although none of it is particularly fun.
I'd recommend that you do the following:
Farm 5 Phoenix (Hera, Ezra, Zeb, Kanan, Chopper) so you can get Thrawn
Farm 3 other Empire dudes to 7* so you can get R2 (You have EP, right?).
Farm Old Ben, Leia, STH, and Farmboy Luke (plus R2) so that you can get Commander Luke Skywalker

So...that should keep you busy for a little bit, right?

Chilichimp posted:

Farmboy Luke sucks and is useful for nothing. Don't bother getting him past G8, don't omega anything.

Just you wait...Farmboy is probably going to end up in a comp that can clear P2 through P4 of HAAT...once there's a person out that that takes him to g12 and gives him a zeta.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 5, 2017

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Solid advice friends thanks. Working on Phoenix.

293-646-545

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Since I'm farming Phoenix, is the Ghost ship worth having? OP ship info doesn't mention it.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

WerrWaaa posted:

Since I'm farming Phoenix, is the Ghost ship worth having? OP ship info doesn't mention it.

If you want Thrawn's capital ship you will need both the ghost and the phantom and 3 other rebel ships at 7*

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

Sort of. The rebel ships are all good... together, with ackbar as lead. Otherwise Biggs + Wedge are the only real rebel ships that work well with non-rebels to back up the rebel passives. The two pheonix ships are good, but nothing to write home about out side of the synergy with them, Biggs, and the U-Wings for a poo poo ton of fast turns and stealth.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TheAnomaly posted:

Sort of. The rebel ships are all good... together, with ackbar as lead. Otherwise Biggs + Wedge are the only real rebel ships that work well with non-rebels to back up the rebel passives. The two pheonix ships are good, but nothing to write home about out side of the synergy with them, Biggs, and the U-Wings for a poo poo ton of fast turns and stealth.

Wedge is entirely mediocre outside of Rebel Fleet.

The two that work anywhere are Biggs and Bistan’s U Wing.

The others - Wedge, Cassian’s U Wing, and Ghost and Phantom all fall into “they’re fine as reinforcements or filler if you have the pilots geared anyway” but aren’t going to win you much rank in fleet arena.

They’re all important to star up anyway for challenges and Thrawn ship and TB’s though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Don't bother with the phoenix ships, you'll be using Tarkin for the forseeable future, so just go with it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Finally got enough 5* ships to do the Zeta challenge.
Could barely do it, with Tie Fighter as the last ship standing and at 3% health when i finally won.

My ships are

Vaders Tie (vader 7* GL8)
Tie Figher (TFP 7* GL10)
FO Tie (FOST 5* GL8)
Biggs X-wing (Biggs 7* GL8)
JC's thingie (JC 5* GL8)
Geonosian Spy ship (dude at 4* GL6)
Sun Facs thingie (SF at 3* GL6)
Geonosian Soldier (GS at 1*, GL8)

The 3 geonosians are my reinforcements.
Any quick fixes to steamroll the challenge to 3* so i don't have to ever do it manually again?
Put more gear on all the dudes?
Using other ships is not an option as i have few shards in other ships. (i have Slave 1, resist x-wing and ARC-170 all at 4*) I was also told to get this particular lineup since it would help me get GMT's space dildo to 5* as well.
Ship combat is a mystery to me, it seems so random at times. I have somehow managed to get to rank 35 in ship arena, and some days ill suddenly be down to sub-100, while other days i don't lose a single spot. The times i manage to climb higher i absolutely shoot the poo poo out of the enemies and barely take damage, with the opposite happening the times i don't manage to climb. All the while i am fighting similarly powered enemies.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Ship combat is a mystery to me, it seems so random at times. I have somehow managed to get to rank 35 in ship arena, and some days ill suddenly be down to sub-100, while other days i don't lose a single spot. The times i manage to climb higher i absolutely shoot the poo poo out of the enemies and barely take damage, with the opposite happening the times i don't manage to climb. All the while i am fighting similarly powered enemies.

It's almost as if this game isn't very good, but it'll totally get better if you drop some cash on the hot new thing that just came out, we promise.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ineptitude posted:

Finally got enough 5* ships to do the Zeta challenge.
Could barely do it, with Tie Fighter as the last ship standing and at 3% health when i finally won.

My ships are

Vaders Tie (vader 7* GL8)
Tie Figher (TFP 7* GL10)
FO Tie (FOST 5* GL8)
Biggs X-wing (Biggs 7* GL8)
JC's thingie (JC 5* GL8)
Geonosian Spy ship (dude at 4* GL6)
Sun Facs thingie (SF at 3* GL6)
Geonosian Soldier (GS at 1*, GL8)

The 3 geonosians are my reinforcements.
Any quick fixes to steamroll the challenge to 3* so i don't have to ever do it manually again?
Put more gear on all the dudes?
Using other ships is not an option as i have few shards in other ships. (i have Slave 1, resist x-wing and ARC-170 all at 4*) I was also told to get this particular lineup since it would help me get GMT's space dildo to 5* as well.

Swap Biggs and Sun fac; Biggs owns for winning fights but he sucks for 3 starring challenges because his taunt uptime is way too high.

Honestly you might even want to go no tank; it’s more RNG dependent but Your best Chance is if the AI is dumb and never focuses anyone.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

Swap Biggs and Sun fac; Biggs owns for winning fights but he sucks for 3 starring challenges because his taunt uptime is way too high.

Honestly you might even want to go no tank; it’s more RNG dependent but Your best Chance is if the AI is dumb and never focuses anyone.

actually with JC around his survivability is pretty decent.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chilichimp posted:

actually with JC around his survivability is pretty decent.

It’s not bad for sure.

But if you’re not three starring the challenge, it’s surely not because anyone else is dying. So preventing focus fire is how you can avoid that.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I'm glad to peek in at this extended ships conversation.

I'm hard noding Sabine because gently caress yeah Phoenix. What other hard nodes should I focus on? Falcon and Tie pilots?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WerrWaaa posted:

I'm hard noding Sabine because gently caress yeah Phoenix. What other hard nodes should I focus on? Falcon and Tie pilots?

Sabine is the phoenix squad member you need the least, which helps because she's also the hardest farm.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Wedge is entirely mediocre outside of Rebel Fleet.

The two that work anywhere are Biggs and Bistan’s U Wing.

The others - Wedge, Cassian’s U Wing, and Ghost and Phantom all fall into “they’re fine as reinforcements or filler if you have the pilots geared anyway” but aren’t going to win you much rank in fleet arena.

They’re all important to star up anyway for challenges and Thrawn ship and TB’s though.

if you're loading up debuffs then Wedge works, so he works well with rebels, 5s ship, Vaders TA (which is in most fleet comps), and a small list of others. The big thing with Wedge is that he makes a great reinforcement to take out whatever tank/tanks they're using that usually have several stacked debuffs when your Biggs goes down.

It also gets 25% TM for attacking out of turn, so it works well with Akbar (which you're probably only using with rebels anyway) and, oddly enough, Thrawn. It also works with ships that feed bonus attacks, so Ghost/JC/Cassions U-Wing, it crits as hard as several other ships. It's not bad so much as FOTF and Imperial TF are both phenomenal damage dealers and you probably don't want 3 single target damage dealers in your initial line up.

Cassions ship is actually really good tbh, but you have to have it finished AND two of the less useful Rogue 1 chars geared along with Jyn Erso. I don't care for multi-crew ships.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WerrWaaa posted:

Baze, Shoretrooper, nihilus would be my suggestions, if you're able.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

WerrWaaa posted:

I farmed Sabine exclusively from guild shipments. It goes quicker than you might think

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I’m trying to farm Phoenix but I keep farming nightsisters please save me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fishtobaskets posted:

I farmed Sabine exclusively from guild shipments. It goes quicker than you might think

Me too, but I wish I hadn’t bothered. Turns out my Chopper who is way less geared helps the team way more than Sabine.

Her armor shred is nice, as is her stagger, but she doesn’t really help the team. Chopper really does, with healing, removing buffs, and taunting.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Me too, but I wish I hadn’t bothered. Turns out my Chopper who is way less geared helps the team way more than Sabine.

Her armor shred is nice, as is her stagger, but she doesn’t really help the team. Chopper really does, with healing, removing buffs, and taunting.

Yeah. gently caress sabine lol

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Even though I have to manually make sure Chopper doesn’t pop his emergency taunt in the very first round before putting it on auto, he is for sure the better choice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

What it comes down to is what is Phoenix Squad’s main strength? It’s survival. Sabine can hit harder, but that’s not what PS does. It survives. Between Zeb and Chopper, PS keeps gaining Protection and Health, helping them survive. Ezra is your hitter. You don’t need a second hitter more than you need Health regen.

I say this as someone who pushed Sabine because she hits hard. Then the Thrawn event loving destroyed me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Encountered this bullshit at node 6. Destroyed every team I threw against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I find myself suddenly unable to beat, let alone three star, the top Hard Nodes on LS/DS missions. Fuuu....