Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'm seeing them tonight and I too am old. They're at a pretty big venue so should be pretty rowdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Didn’t see it posted but Ethan Kath gave his reply to Alice’s allegations. I’m not gonna post it but it’s loving gross and gently caress that guy. Please do not support CC or him in anyway.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Didn’t see it posted but Ethan Kath gave his reply to Alice’s allegations. I’m not gonna post it but it’s loving gross and gently caress that guy. Please do not support CC or him in anyway.
He's suing her for defamation, because she hasn't been through enough.

The one good thing that came out of it was it reminded me to unlike CC on Facebook because I hadn't done that already.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The one good thing that came out of it was it reminded me to unlike CC on Facebook because I hadn't done that already.

Same here! I saw that, and before I unliked it, took a look at the comments on the post and reminded myself of just how lovely people are. One comment was something like “funny that she’s saying this now” as if there wasn’t a huge, international story blowing up about a sexual predator in the Hollywood system followed by numerous stars telling their stories, some of which have been verified, and others that are backed up by multiple people. HW Bush loving admitted he’s been patting asses! Kevin Spacey’s career is loving shot, and should have been years ago when that first incident occurred, but surprise surprise, it was covered up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODaYjDyjyQ

:swoon:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ahhhh this is so good

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw Crystal Castles soon after III came out and it's one of the best concerts I've ever been to: 90-95% of that was because of Alice. She had a broken leg and was busting around on crutches, but she still moshed and jumped around and drank out of a bottle of Jack. She overpowered the lights, the music, and she sang her rear end off.

Then I saw them in October last year. I had read about Alice's allegations against Ethan, but to me they were a little vague and felt like "band power dynamics". And the show was so good last time! And it's rumors! And he-said-she-said! This show wasn't even close to decent. I was bored to death, Edith couldn't hold a candle to Alice, and there were endless tech screwups (all having to do with Ethan's keyboard, of course).

This new poo poo - with all the details about what he's done, how he's suing her now, and his totally dismissive bullshit regarding her importance in the band - is just another nail in the coffin for me caring about the band post-Alice.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Doublepost and maybe a little lighter:

I saw Arcade Fire for the last night of their tour. They took it to the next level. Great, big production values and visuals, and they played all the hits!

Broken Social Scene opened, which I was really looking forward to, but they were kind of underwhelming. I'd maybe go see them when they're doing their own show, but they seemed, at least to me, just going through the motions.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Self-promotion warning (and Goon-music warning...):

I recently finished an album of electro-acoustic (edit: electronic acoustic), definitely more on the experimental/psychedelic side. It's not "officially" released (whatever that means in 2017), I want to see if an experimental or small label would want to pick it up, but I'm looking for some ears/reactions. It was recorded at a new studio using lots of analog gear, nice mics, and unusual techniques.

http://notsounds.bandcamp.com

ricecult fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 6, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ricecult posted:

Self-promotion warning (and Goon-music warning...):

I recently finished an album of electro-acoustic, definitely more on the experimental/psychedelic side. It's not "officially" released (whatever that means in 2017), I want to see if an experimental or small label would want to pick it up, but I'm looking for some ears/reactions. It was recorded at a new studio using lots of analog gear, nice mics, and unusual techniques.

http://notsounds.bandcamp.com

This isn't really what comes to mind when I hear the phrase 'electro-acoustic', what do you mean by that?

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

I received a recommendation for Alex Cameron and wasn't disappointed. Sounds a lot like the Killers but more poppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4C-Lw-YaWg

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Captain Hotbutt posted:

. . .drank out of a bottle of Jack. She overpowered the lights, the music, and she sang her rear end off.

drat, I forgot about the bottle of Jack Daniel's. What a trap star.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

A human heart posted:

This isn't really what comes to mind when I hear the phrase 'electro-acoustic', what do you mean by that?

Sorry, I think that phrase has more connotations than I assumed, I just meant that it has a lot of both electronic (synths, drum machines, recording manipulation) and acoustic (acoustic guitar, drums, live performance).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ricecult posted:

Sorry, I think that phrase has more connotations than I assumed, I just meant that it has a lot of both electronic (synths, drum machines, recording manipulation) and acoustic (acoustic guitar, drums, live performance).

yeah i think you should use a different word, because I assumed it was like super academic music(e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroacoustic_music) and was wondering what it was doing in the indie thread.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I received a recommendation for Alex Cameron and wasn't disappointed. Sounds a lot like the Killers but more poppy.

His sax player really brings it at his live shows. Definitely check him out if you get the opportunity. I️ thought he outshined Delicate Steve when I️ saw the together.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just waited in line for 2 hours to see Japandroids in Chicago's greatest small venue, the Empty Bottle, for just :10bux:

They kicked rear end despite some technical problems, but the crowd was oddly mellow. I was expecting to have zero personal space and people jumping on stage or something but everyone really kept to themselves. They might have gone nuts the night before at the Vic and didn't have the energy to do it again for this surprise show. Or maybe we're just all getting old.

I was there, it ruled. I bet we were close together in line, I got there at 6:45 right before they started lining people up. Was also surprised there was more active "moshing," at least up at the very front where I was, during Cloud Nothings than Japandroids.

My ears were loving toast Saturday.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

angrygodofjebus posted:

I was there, it ruled. I bet we were close together in line, I got there at 6:45 right before they started lining people up. Was also surprised there was more active "moshing," at least up at the very front where I was, during Cloud Nothings than Japandroids.

My ears were loving toast Saturday.

My voice has been shot for a couple of days

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I liked japandroids back in the day but I still lol when I remember a story I read about how the lead guy positions a fan in front of himself so his hair blows dramatically in the wind

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I liked japandroids back in the day but I still lol when I remember a story I read about how the lead guy positions a fan in front of himself so his hair blows dramatically in the wind

Ha ha, Janet Weiss from Sleater-Kinney does the same thing, doesn't she? I think it's more to keep her cool, but I like the glammy effect

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Hah, I saw them Saturday and went back to a picture I took to see if he was doing it. He didn't have the fan, but sure did spit alot on stage.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Jean-Philip Grobler from St. Lucia did (does?) this, and the desired effect was achieved

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Am i crazy or did MGMT finally make a good song post 2010?

https://open.spotify.com/track/7pWUwNDBL7J0eMAUi2gPb3?si=WKW-hlxyT3OxCGizqtAl0w

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I really do think the two albums after congrats were pranks to try and unfamous themselves.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Wait, they had a good song after their first album?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kramdar posted:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the second MGMT album is pretty good, but the subsequent ones mostly seem designed to have made me look like an idiot for defending it

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Congratulations has a few good tunes, but their first album wasn't a masterpiece either. Since then everything has been painfully forgettable.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I don't know what's worse, the song or the cover art

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
electric feel is a good song to pretend to know the lyrics to

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

Alert CLAM DOWN and others, new Dear Rouge is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0zSsgJlo4

gently caress, I've been out of town on vacation, then a work trip, then I was sick as hell, and I'm just now getting back into having a normal life and feeling healthy, so I missed this. Their new single is SO GOOD, I saw them a few months ago in Vancouver and I'm seeing them again first week of December, so stoked.

I saw Third Eye Blind tonight, first concert in a month after being away/sick, it was so goddamn fun. They totally still have it, 20 year anniversary tour of their first album, and they sound just as good. God that was fun.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CLAM DOWN posted:

I saw Third Eye Blind tonight, first concert in a month after being away/sick, it was so goddamn fun. They totally still have it, 20 year anniversary tour of their first album, and they sound just as good. God that was fun.

I saw them this summer it was a loving blast

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Kramdar posted:

Hot take: Congratulations is their best song.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

resident posted:

More like "we care" deluxe edition.

Congratulations and Worlds Apart are probably the two biggest hits for my ratio of world-hated/intel-beloved

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So hey Sunflower Bean are back and have been listening to lots of Fleetwood Mac since their last album apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6ZtALw5KM

Really digging it

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

resident posted:

It was a real good album but it didn't survive
A summer of gypsy hippies in the NP. It was weird but like those cats were headed west.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Man, I just stumbled upon this Alex Cameron guy recently too....and fell in love.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I dunno if this is better suited for here or the EDM thread, but here we go -

New video for Empire of the Sun's - Way to Go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg9ebVTL9yE

And PNAU's new album "Changa" is out and holy hell is it amazing. It features the amazing Chameleon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2pp_ZAk6Uw and the whole drat thing is just great.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Maybe I'm getting old, but I just could not get into St Vincent's show. Her tour a few years back was excellent and hearing songs from her previous album again was enjoyable , but this new direction just isn't doing it for me.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

I'm headed to see Cut Copy tonight in Lawrence, KS. In Ghost Colours made me fall in love with this band as they combined all the tracks so well on that album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just got back from seeing him for the third or fourth time, so I'm gonna talk a bit about one of my favourite New Zealand musicians, Anthonie Tonnon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGBNrKEyHzU

He's just released a new EP, Two Free Hands , and his last album Successor was one of my favourites of 2015.

He's a clever lyricist, and somehow manages to make a very heavy kiwi drawl sound cool and good, rather than cringeworthy and terrible. Successor has some really fun guitar work, and more recently he's started working with Jet Jaguar and incorporating a lot more electronica into his work, which is a direction I'm really excited to see him going in. As far as songs-as-narrative goes, he reminds me a little of John Darnielle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xrGvzynEAk

He's weird and droll and uniquely New Zealandy, and I'm really glad to to see him finding more success. He's toured with The Veils and with Nadia Reid not long ago (and when I saw him for the first time a few years back, he was opening for Okkervil River), and he's going to be doing more touring before too long, too. I think he's definitely worth your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Zg9H3vxHM