Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

so, my 2000 is no longer allowing the doors to be unlocked, and I am 2000 miles away. Before I tell my wife that this will definitely work, you can just push the rear seats down from inside the trunk to get into it, correct?

A little more detail: When I got the car there was no key for the door lock, which had been replaced. Instead of getting a key that worked with it, I just reprogrammed it for the fob for my other car so it would work. For some reason the power locks are not working, and she is locked out of the cabin, but the key still works for the trunk. I know you can get into the cabin from the trunk, but never had to do it myself so am not 100% sure how. The most definite thing I can find on the internet is that you should be able to just push down the seats, can anyone confirm this for me?

TIA

I did this in my 1996 mustang, but the straps to release the seats are inside the cabin. I kicked the seat from the trunk to get it to fold down and the latch still worked fine afterwards but don't hold me accountable if it breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I did this in my 1996 mustang, but the straps to release the seats are inside the cabin. I kicked the seat from the trunk to get it to fold down and the latch still worked fine afterwards but don't hold me accountable if it breaks.

The car is so generally hosed up on poo poo like this that no one would notice anyway.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I've had a cop get into my car in about 8 seconds with a slim jim.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cage posted:

I've had a cop get into my car in about 8 seconds with a slim jim.

Things I would do if I were present, but for some reason the wife is ignoring the cop suggestion when I make it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Does the trunk key not work on the door? My 2003 just has the 1 key and it works on both.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

frozenphil posted:

Does the trunk key not work on the door? My 2003 just has the 1 key and it works on both.

The car was, at one time, purchased from a police auction, and they changed out the door lock. Then that key was lost.

My 2003 has one key for everything.

This is solved tho, after I repeatedly said 'just push the back seat down' someone finally pushed the backseat down, and discovered that it looks like the fob wasn't working because the car battery died... and then I had to explain that you can push start a standard :cry:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Speaking of locks, the passenger power lock module on my 2001 is broken again. This will be the third time I've replaced it in five years of ownership.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

As I was looking for a '16 to buy I saw news articles talking about how it had Sync3 and therefore carplay so I was all happy that I was finally gonna get that. Get the car and wtf it doesn't have carplay at all? Do some googling on oh ok so it needs to update just connect it to wifi and it'll work bing bong so simple. I do that and it doesn't download the update. No worries the websites say- just give it a week or so it'll update eventually. It didn't. So I buy a USB stick off Amazon because seriously who still uses those things and I'll update Sync to get to that beautiful carplay goodness. I update and oh woopsy both the Ford website and all the news articles neglected to include that you'd have to buy a gat dang $60 USB replacement hub in order to use carplay.

So I have that coming in the mail and maybe now I'll get my carplay. Thanks for reading. Carplay.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

thebigcow posted:

Speaking of locks, the passenger power lock module on my 2001 is broken again. This will be the third time I've replaced it in five years of ownership.
Is that common? I hardly ever have a passenger so I'm just used to unlocking the drivers side.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rex-Goliath posted:

As I was looking for a '16 to buy I saw news articles talking about how it had Sync3 and therefore carplay so I was all happy that I was finally gonna get that. Get the car and wtf it doesn't have carplay at all? Do some googling on oh ok so it needs to update just connect it to wifi and it'll work bing bong so simple. I do that and it doesn't download the update. No worries the websites say- just give it a week or so it'll update eventually. It didn't. So I buy a USB stick off Amazon because seriously who still uses those things and I'll update Sync to get to that beautiful carplay goodness. I update and oh woopsy both the Ford website and all the news articles neglected to include that you'd have to buy a gat dang $60 USB replacement hub in order to use carplay.

So I have that coming in the mail and maybe now I'll get my carplay. Thanks for reading. Carplay.
Blame Apple for that one. They want some stupid certified USB hub for carplay to work. Sync3 works fine as is with Android Auto.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Oh yeah I'm no stranger to Apple being super picky about their partnerships. I'm just annoyed at all the news articles talking about it coming to 2016 vehicles with just a software upgrade with no mention of the hardware upgrade. Would have been nice to have put in the order for the USB hub at the same time as the USB stick. Oh well!!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Rex-Goliath posted:

Oh yeah I'm no stranger to Apple being super picky about their partnerships. I'm just annoyed at all the news articles talking about it coming to 2016 vehicles with just a software upgrade with no mention of the hardware upgrade. Would have been nice to have put in the order for the USB hub at the same time as the USB stick. Oh well!!

Has the update been officially released yet? It was supposed to be released by the end of 2016, but I got impatient and installed the leaked update in February.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Cage posted:

Is that common? I hardly ever have a passenger so I'm just used to unlocking the drivers side.

I have no idea. The inside of the door looks clean as can be, no sign of water, no idea why this happens.

I'm taking the opportunity to replace my passenger side mirror. The glass wobbles at speed.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bandire posted:

Has the update been officially released yet? It was supposed to be released by the end of 2016, but I got impatient and installed the leaked update in February.

Ya you can get 2.2 off Ford's website now.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

thebigcow posted:

I'm taking the opportunity to replace my passenger side mirror. The glass wobbles at speed.

This should only happen because you are listening to the stereo at the proper volume(or have the best exhaust mods)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

RFC2324 posted:

This should only happen because you are listening to the stereo at the proper volume(or have the best exhaust mods)

None of the above, it's just broke

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You will hate carplay so there is that also.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

You will hate carplay so there is that also.

Speaking of Sync3, when I set my audio input to my iPhone, it only sees like 4 songs and cycles between them rather than the hundreds of songs that are on the phone. This is irritating. Any ideas why? I don’t have any playlists or anything defined.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m thinking about upgrading the speakers on my S550 GT base and maybe adding a sub/amp. Do we have a car audio thread somewhere?

Anyone do this to their S550 yet?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
There is a car audio thread somewhere. I remember it being low traffic.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Found it! Couldn’t get the mobile app to scroll that far at first. Thanks.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong
Has anyone used one the full floor pans, transition and trunk kits from Dynacorn?
I’m restoring a 70 Mach 1 and these units look like they’d make a nice jig for aligning the body as well as replacing my rusted and busted existing pans.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ser Pounce posted:

Has anyone used one the full floor pans, transition and trunk kits from Dynacorn?
I’m restoring a 70 Mach 1 and these units look like they’d make a nice jig for aligning the body as well as replacing my rusted and busted existing pans.

I used the full floor pans for my '67. I doubt you'll be able to use it as a jig as mine had extra material around the edges so you could customize the fit.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

frozenphil posted:

I used the full floor pans for my '67. I doubt you'll be able to use it as a jig as mine had extra material around the edges so you could customize the fit.

That’s interesting, and I should have expected that, I’ll think I’ll just have to resort to the tram gauge and welding bars into the unibody to help keep its shape.

How did you find going for the full floor? Much easier than expected, worth the saving in time vs separate floor, transition and trunk?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ser Pounce posted:

That’s interesting, and I should have expected that, I’ll think I’ll just have to resort to the tram gauge and welding bars into the unibody to help keep its shape.

How did you find going for the full floor? Much easier than expected, worth the saving in time vs separate floor, transition and trunk?

If you need to do them all then you might as well do the full thing since you have to brace the same way regardless. Much easier to run a continuous outside weld than stitch together a bunch of panels and hope nothing flexed.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

frozenphil posted:

If you need to do them all then you might as well do the full thing since you have to brace the same way regardless. Much easier to run a continuous outside weld than stitch together a bunch of panels and hope nothing flexed.

I’m pretty much of that opinion too, much as I’d find it interesting to try and correct some of the damage, there is quite a lot I’d have to deal with.

The inner trunk has a lot of dubious looking bondo liberally spread around, the transition has been cut fairly high up and a plate welded in (shame as underneath, shock, axle mounts and the rear rails are in great shape), the plate has not been primed or painted properly and rusted inwards from the outside edges, the main floor pan is both rusted out in the front passenger and rear (drivers side was previously cut out) , but also has a small kink at the rear of the transmission tunnel and a bulge in the passenger seating area. Lower Passenger side of the car is 5/16ths shorter than the drivers. So one way or another it probably all needs to go, and I’ll probably do the lower firewall & b pillars whilst I’m there as they are just as bad.

Ser Pounce fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 31, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ah a fine craigslist rust free car. You are a crazy person.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
That can of WD-40 should take care of it.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

Number_6 posted:

That can of WD-40 should take care of it.

Yeah, I was thinking that and a little T-cut should have her right as rain in no time.

Elephanthead posted:

Ah a fine craigslist rust free car. You are a crazy person.

I was particularly taken when I saw the drivers floor pan was held into the car with three sheet metal screws. :aaaaa:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ser Pounce posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that and a little T-cut should have her right as rain in no time.

I was particularly taken when I saw the drivers floor pan was held into the car with three sheet metal screws. :aaaaa:

Crappy floor pans scare the poo poo out of me.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Rolo posted:

DANGER TO MANIFOLD

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Good luck finding a pre-'79 Mustang that doesn't have that issue.

Ser Pounce, I highly recommend you keep looking. While rust is always going to be a thing with early Mustangs, you should try to find a starting point that is more good panels than bad. A few grand more up front is loving worth it, trust me.

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

frozenphil posted:

Good luck finding a pre-'79 Mustang that doesn't have that issue.

Ser Pounce, I highly recommend you keep looking. While rust is always going to be a thing with early Mustangs, you should try to find a starting point that is more good panels than bad. A few grand more up front is loving worth it, trust me.

Oh we’re no longer in Kansas (or Maryland) in this case Frozenphil, I bought that battered old drag racer a few months back.

I fancied a challenge, something to force me to learn and develop new skills, so whilst I think you are right as a general rule about spending a little more, for me getting a forgotten rusted pile of junk back on the road is something I think I’ll be able to look back on with a great deal of satisfaction. (Though with a seriously emptied wallet) and if I’m lucky I’ll learn a lot I can use on future milder restorations.

Putting the rotten and ruined floor and lower firewall, and trunk, and drivers quarter, and b pillars, aside (I’m scared of dipping it in acid in case only the roof comes back out!) it’s all fixable stuff. The 351c was original bore sized, though with a head gasket failure, and I’m rebuilding it as a modified ‘73 Cobra Jet, (Ross pop up domes, 73 4v heads with larger intake valves, hot cam, Holley 780cfm 4150) it has a 9” Axle in surprisingly great condition, sadly the 4 speed toploader was stolen in transit, I’ve got a 3 speed that will do until I can get round to replacing it. There’s plenty of chrome trim, all the glass is good, and the interior is pretty good and original.

That all said I’m under no illusions at all that it’s going to be hard and expensive to get it back up to a decent standard.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Has anyone figured out how to get the reverse lockout collar to stop loving rattling.

On a side note being a big dude(300 pounder) with a really small interiored car really ended up biting me in the rear end Saturday night.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fps_bill posted:

Has anyone figured out how to get the reverse lockout collar to stop loving rattling.

On a side note being a big dude(300 pounder) with a really small interiored car really ended up biting me in the rear end Saturday night.
Mine never rattled.

And yeah. Big dudes really feel the weight.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sounds like a good excuse to work on losing some weight :v:

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Lol I have, still no room to gently caress in the mustang. I used to be 385

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 7, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fps_bill posted:

Lol I have, still no room to gently caress in the mustang. I used to be 385
No room to gently caress in a mustang regardless of how big you are.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ilkhan posted:

No room to gently caress in a mustang regardless of how big you are.

I dunno man I'd bet more than half this thread has hosed in a Mustang one time or another. It was a hell of a lot roomier than the Miata I had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I'm pretty sure if I wasn't a 300 pounder I could have made the front seat work. She's just a tiny little thing. If it hadn't been raining i would have just thrown her little rear end on the hood.