Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Things my department doesn't deserve according to my department manager: the good spoons, a decent thermometer, paring knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Jyrraeth posted:

Things my department doesn't deserve according to my department manager: the good spoons, a decent thermometer, paring knives.

A bad thermometer, to me, is a problem - if it's a few degrees off, you could theoretically end up with stuff that reads okay but in reality is above the maximum temp. I can sort of understand spoons and knives (unless you want mangled cuts) but a thermometer is something I wouldn't gently caress with. Why doesn't she want a new thermometer, for real?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I qualified for health insurance. The websites and everything involved absolutely blew and were terribly designed, but I signed up. Edged in by an average of 1 hour a week. Vision, dental, accidental death and dismemberment, extended stays, all that poo poo.

It costs half a paycheck every two weeks. :shepspends:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I was pretty thrilled that I had 40.75 hours this week but then my shift said that wasnt right and sent me home early. I would have preferred giving me Saturday off where they have me working 10 to 4 instead of my usual hours but whatever I guess

At least I have 36 next week. Bills cant be paid if I only get 17 hours like I did last week.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I qualified for health insurance. The websites and everything involved absolutely blew and were terribly designed, but I signed up. Edged in by an average of 1 hour a week. Vision, dental, accidental death and dismemberment, extended stays, all that poo poo.

It costs half a paycheck every two weeks. :shepspends:

Yep.... and that right there is the problem with most insurances. Even if you qualify, it's in no way affordable for the average person. Best part is even though it would take half a paycheck every 2 weeks, you are probably looking at a plan with a $2000-3000 deductible that you have to pay yourself before they even start covering anything. And I'm gonna guess (I work in insurance.) a $4000-7000 max out of pocket.

Guessing you did not sign up?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

DesolateRampage posted:

Yep.... and that right there is the problem with most insurances. Even if you qualify, it's in no way affordable for the average person. Best part is even though it would take half a paycheck every 2 weeks, you are probably looking at a plan with a $2000-3000 deductible that you have to pay yourself before they even start covering anything. And I'm gonna guess (I work in insurance.) a $4000-7000 max out of pocket.

Guessing you did not sign up?

It has a 1,300 deductible, 90% coverage after deductible is met. Preventive visits covered 100% even before the deductible is met.Out of pocket max is 4,000, but covering that is easier than covering the other expenses. The supplemental insurance helps to cover random acts of life, like ambulance rides. My employer also shoots 500 into an HSA, which is... good? :shrug:

The plan would be dicey if I was living on my own but because I'm a broke rear end millennial living with family I might as well be broke and insured.

If my job gave me 40 hours a week or just 2 dollars more an hour, money would not be a huge deal even if I was alone and paying for insurance but that's retail.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My lovely plan costs slightly less, but also has a $3k deductible and similar out-of-pocket and I frankly don't make enough money or have enough savings to cover that kind of expense, so if something went catastrophically wrong I'd still be screwed into bankruptcy several times over, but at least they'd also shaft my insurance company for the co-pays!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My health plan is the same as my retirement plan. Stay hosed up on cheap drugs, work until some catastrophic happens, and then leap off a building.

I jest. just in a poor mood today.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

D34THROW posted:

A bad thermometer, to me, is a problem - if it's a few degrees off, you could theoretically end up with stuff that reads okay but in reality is above the maximum temp. I can sort of understand spoons and knives (unless you want mangled cuts) but a thermometer is something I wouldn't gently caress with. Why doesn't she want a new thermometer, for real?

Its for cooking things like fries and chicken fingers in a oven, so it just has to be over 85C and not visibly burnt looking. The real problem is that it takes 10x longer to read a temp and people are just skipping temping things.

She's having a feud with an underling who's lying about calibrating them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It has a 1,300 deductible, 90% coverage after deductible is met. Preventive visits covered 100% even before the deductible is met.Out of pocket max is 4,000, but covering that is easier than covering the other expenses. The supplemental insurance helps to cover random acts of life, like ambulance rides. My employer also shoots 500 into an HSA, which is... good? :shrug:

The plan would be dicey if I was living on my own but because I'm a broke rear end millennial living with family I might as well be broke and insured.

If my job gave me 40 hours a week or just 2 dollars more an hour, money would not be a huge deal even if I was alone and paying for insurance but that's retail.

Nice plan. Be aware of playing the preventative care game with your doctor and insurance company, but $500 in an HSA is almost as good as a straight $500 after tax.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jyrraeth posted:

Its for cooking things like fries and chicken fingers in a oven, so it just has to be over 85C and not visibly burnt looking. The real problem is that it takes 10x longer to read a temp and people are just skipping temping things.

She's having a feud with an underling who's lying about calibrating them.

You would not believe the amount of difficulty we had getting a trio of 80+ year old women to comprehend that the holding temp is not the same thing as the temp when you pull things out of the oven.

No, we are not actually holding those chicken fingers at 220F think for one dang second.

e: Admittedly this is actually the fault of like five years' of other management just letting them do it the wrong way so there was a lot of ingrained habit.

Also I somehow got suckered into helping out a subway over lunch today (at my regular pay at least) and I'm gonna loving die I really hate subway

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Shugojin posted:

Also I somehow got suckered into helping out a subway over lunch today (at my regular pay at least) and I'm gonna loving die I really hate subway

:allears: Wasn't it grand? What'd ya like most about it?

You just reminded me of when the meat side of our sandwich unit died. Literally dead, was not working. Did we close down? gently caress no, we packed ice into the bain! Did that hold temp? gently caress no, everything temped 50+! Did I call the health department? gently caress no, because I needed the money :eng99:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Probably the best part of when I actually formally worked at one was the day that we were having the whole line replaced with one that would hold temperature

Over a week of signs that we would not be open for business that day, lots of loud noises and dust, and still people lined up

E: but I'm gonna die I thought I was free of sandwich day this year but alas :negative:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I might be getting full time because one of the full timers in my crew gave notice and the other person who wants full time is really bad at their job.

I’ll take the guaranteed hours and benefits. Possibly a raise too.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I've been full time for like two months now and, everything else aside, it's been awesome just to have a shift that doesn't bounce around.
I feel better at work because I've usually slept, I'm more productive, and I can even plan things on work days if I need to.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
So a different site close to mine needs a lot more staff all of a sudden because:

-two staff members got fired for leaving the back door open and getting robbed
-the manager went "nah, gently caress this" and quit too.

So three people, including the manager of a place that only has 6 workers quit within a week. Also, leaving the door open sounds like collusion, I sincerely hope nobody is that stupid. No idea what would even be worth stealing from out backroom honestly.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Update: They were actually really well staffed and pretty much all my presence did was make it really painless for everybody to get their breaks done

I didn't even have to make a single toasted egg and tuna sandwich!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zenithe posted:

Also, leaving the door open sounds like collusion, I sincerely hope nobody is that stupid. No idea what would even be worth stealing from out backroom honestly.

I was literally thinking this while reading your post before I got to these last two sentences.

For clarity though: When I read "robbed" I assume it involved pointing a gun at somebody. Was it that, or just theft, i.e. things disappeared from the storeroom?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

For clarity though: When I read "robbed" I assume it involved pointing a gun at somebody. Was it that, or just theft, i.e. things disappeared from the storeroom?

Yeah they just stole stuff from the back.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Eric the Mauve posted:

I was literally thinking this while reading your post before I got to these last two sentences.

At a store I trained at we were cleaning out one of the back rooms and found 6-7 empty high $ perfume bottles. Thrown under shelving in a place only an employee could be. poo poo happens.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Shugojin posted:

Well, I suppose working during the Buy1Get1 with purchase of 30oz drink sale would do that to people. The guy at the counter when I got a Subway this afternoon said he was exhausted and was going straight to bed.

SaberToothedPie posted:

At a store I trained at we were cleaning out one of the back rooms and found 6-7 empty high $ perfume bottles. Thrown under shelving in a place only an employee could be. poo poo happens.
People have gotten clever on stealing stuff. I was told that at another store some employee was stealing expensive steaks by stuffing it in those big soda cups that you can get at every fast food place, and just walked out the front door without anybody batting an eye.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Hello I am the one person responsible for removing 95% of the expired product from the shelves for Frozen, Meats, and especially Dairy even though I'm 1 of 11 people that handles the freight. Life is hell.

I've been told not to worry about it, but uh... it's expired? And we've had customer complaints and another associate got sick from expired yogurt drinks from June.

I don't mind doing the work, even if I'm the only one doing it, I just wish they'd leave me to do it, the night's freight is worked, all that's left is zoning, you can afford to let me be thorough. :smith:

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 4, 2017

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I worked my first peak today. The shift who ive never worked with asks me if I can bar "yeah of course" he puts me on bar support where in setting up drinks for FOUR other coworkers plus myself on each of the three espresso machines, cold and frap bar DURING PEAK with stickers coming out one after the other. There was not a single time on my six hour shift where I pulled a sticker and another one didnt come out right after it.

I may be dead right now. I need a bath and some wine.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Another month of hard work ruined by one survey who apparently thought the store was crewed by Jesus Christ based on their comments. Shame they obviously thought the score was out of five and not ten.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Vonnie posted:

Hello I am the one person responsible for removing 95% of the expired product from the shelves for Frozen, Meats, and especially Dairy even though I'm 1 of 11 people that handles the freight. Life is hell.

I've been told not to worry about it, but uh... it's expired? And we've had customer complaints and another associate got sick from expired yogurt drinks from June.

I don't mind doing the work, even if I'm the only one doing it, I just wish they'd leave me to do it, the night's freight is worked, all that's left is zoning, you can afford to let me be thorough. :smith:

Expired frozen food, like expired ambient food will generally not kill you or cause illness if consumed. With ambient and frozen products the expiry date is an indication of "After this date we won't guarantee a quality product"

Expired chilled products on the other hand are a potential recipe for a few days off work.

Good on you for actually checking it though, we just had stocktake and it was hilarious how much expired stock we found on shelves on the shop floor, in the warehouse and in our high-racking. Whoops!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think I was the bad customer today.

So my phone died. Just loving died this afternoon, so I contacted Google tech support and went through the script and the dude said okay, phone is bad, so we will send a replacement. loving fine. Second Nexus phone in less than two years because of hardware.

The dude says he'll send me the email and I can start the reorder process. There I stop him. No, the last time this happened, the lady zipped the order through for me and had everything overnighted so I got the phone literally the next day. He said I'd have to do the order myself, and I'd have my new phone within 1-2 business days because there is no shipping on weekends.

I stop him there. No, sir, I need my phone for work Monday. It's Saturday before 4. You send the info to receiving and they can slap a label on it, and Fedex picks it up and I get it Monday. Or UPS. Overnight exists and it runs on Saturday for Monday. The dude said no one ships on Saturdays so I should get it on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday.

I didn't lose it to the point of screaming/typing in all caps, but I did tell him again that I work in loving shipping, I can get this overnighted if he gets the poo poo started, and this is loving stupid that a SECOND phone has hardware issues within 8 months of me getting it! Is this normal? Is Google trying to get me to upgrade to a Pixel or what?

So I did the order, okay yay it might be here Wednesday, we don't know, shipping is all an estimate because it comes ground, yay! And left him a scathing review because gently caress it. Veer off the script.

I tried back a few minutes later hoping to get someone who could maybe help me with overnight, but nope, new dude with the same loving script.

Motherfuckers, I WORK IN SHIPPING. I know you're in a call center somewhere but loving hell I was hoping I'd get someone like the first lady who zipped me through asap and didn't bother with asking me several times if I held down the buttons long enough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Most likely there was a change in call center contractor since 18 months ago and the new one is strictly script only. It sucks balls but there's jackshit you can do about it. You can change phones/providers if it's in your power to do so, but AFAIK that's how they all operate now. You get what we deign to give you, when we deign to give it to you, and you will like it because you have no choice. P.S. Ha ha ha.

It's extra frustrating because there's gently caress-all the call center jockey can do about it, you will never get anywhere near talking to anyone with the authority to do anything about it, and you can vent your rage on the call center jockey if you want but it's not their fault and there will still be gently caress-all they can do about it. Welcome to Customer Service in the 21st century my friend!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I was checking out a mom and her family, when one of the kids says, "mom, I have to pee," moms asks why she didn't go earlier, then the girl just pees herself. No conversation break, just Line A, Line B, pee. Luckly I had help, so someone cleaned up the pee quickly. God, today was just, ugh...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Lord Bude posted:

He started out in 2005, initially collaborating with Rhapsody of Fire; but in the years following he released several Heavy Metal christmas EPs and 2 full length heavy metal Albums; Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross in 2010 and Charlemagne: The Omens of Death in 2013. This is one of the music videos from the albums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY

I highly recommend people watch it.

I could not stop laughing watching this.

Anora posted:

I was checking out a mom and her family, when one of the kids says, "mom, I have to pee," moms asks why she didn't go earlier, then the girl just pees herself. No conversation break, just Line A, Line B, pee. Luckly I had help, so someone cleaned up the pee quickly. God, today was just, ugh...

As the parent of recently toilet trained children, that's basically how it goes.

Parent: Pee before we go
Kid: I don't have to pee!
Parent: Just try anyway
Kid: ok, nothing came out
(30 minutes later)
Kid: uh oh I need to potty
Parent: ok let's ge-
Kid: pees

Sorry you had to deal with it too.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Budgie posted:

Expired frozen food, like expired ambient food will generally not kill you or cause illness if consumed. With ambient and frozen products the expiry date is an indication of "After this date we won't guarantee a quality product"

Expired chilled products on the other hand are a potential recipe for a few days off work.

Good on you for actually checking it though, we just had stocktake and it was hilarious how much expired stock we found on shelves on the shop floor, in the warehouse and in our high-racking. Whoops!

Yeah, I'm aware of that, and chilled products have a much shorter shelf life in general. I've found maybe a dozen expired products in the frozen sections aside from a feature that all came in a year ago that never went out, and I typically find more than that on my first day back each week in meat or dairy.

It just bugs me how little anyone else cares besides the people who have actually consumed bad product, in the year I've been working O/N I've only seen a handful of cases of expired placed aside to be thrown out, and fewer nearly expired set to be donated. More often I see empty spaces on the shelves one day, then expired in those spots the next. No one seems to bat an eye about the cold chain either, which is also not as strict as best by dates in frozen, but people should still try to minimize the time they keeps things out.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
"I am not going to get fast food after work I need to save money."

*8 hours later* "I cried at work today I think I earned some taco bell"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I had someone tonight ask if I could get p clips in bulk, say 0.79/ea was too rich for his blood, then bought packaged ones off the shelf that were $1/ea.

He then complained that the exhaust pipes he picked out had different thicknesses, then complained when I proved with a pair of digital calipers (with a 0.002" margin of error) that they were 0.0015" different and well within the spec for 1/16th inch wall pipe. This was a great injustice upon mankind despite the fact that 30 seconds with a file cleaning up the cut edge fixes the problem.

Then he started a rant about how this was "all them drat japs fault for being a bunch of theiving scumbags" (the pipes measured 0.0625 and 0.064, he got extra), so I figured I'd be helpful and point out that the bulk pipe was made in canada and cut, flared and bent at a factory elsewhere. This just made him angrier because I was obviously lying, canada doesn't make anything, its all a scam because their labor is cheaper anyways.

I swear I'm gonna just stop trying to help the customers. They apparently just don't want it. :v:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I hope you had the biggest poo poo eating grim while you were "helping" that prick.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cop Porn Popper posted:

I swear I'm gonna just stop trying to help the customers. They apparently just don't want it. :v:

It's not that he wanted any help with any purchasing of products. It's that they have a deep need to have somebody listen to their angry ranting, and therapists cost money whereas helpless retail employees have to listen to you for free.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Just because three days are on one week and four are on the next doesn't mean it is OK to schedule someone seven days in a row. I'm not even covering for a vacation or anything, I'm just there. Retail holiday season can eat my drat rear end.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
That happened to me before but it was ten days in a row. I drank a lot on my off days after that stretch.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

that's the norm at my store. I'm sure it's easier to schedule, and (with some exceptions) the managers who are allowed to write schedules are the ones who shouldn't be trusted to do it.
it's getting worse as we trade more and more capable managers to other stores in the region that are somehow worse off than us

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

On one hand it's hours but on the other hand what's the point of earning money if you don't have time to enjoy it.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just because three days are on one week and four are on the next doesn't mean it is OK to schedule someone seven days in a row. I'm not even covering for a vacation or anything, I'm just there. Retail holiday season can eat my drat rear end.
Before our department promoted another person into our department, it was kind of unavoidable many times. Out of the whopping 6 people in our department, we had 25 weeks of vacation, and 3 weeks of personal holidays to cover. Then there's trying to cover for 5 people's worth of general day off requests ( I don't request days off). So a lot of times people end up doing the 7, 8 or 9 days of work in a row. It's not like every person is completely interchangeable in our department either, so that further limits my options to appease everybody when writing schedules.

Our scheduling program actually warns us if we scheduled someone 7 days consecutively (it accounts for the previous week). If I can, I'll change it when I get a warning, but it is kind of bullshit for example when that person so happened to request Sunday and Monday off the previous week , then the week I'm writing happens to project Sunday and Monday to be super busy and I need to schedule them to work those two days making it 7 in a row for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Currently in a 10 day streak of closing shifts due to my store manager being on vacation. The district manager feels this is too many closing shifts in a row, so he wants the retail counter manager who is currently doing openings to give one up so I can do my job as asst manager and open one day to break up the string of closing shifts and give me a break. He'd of course find someone to close that day. (He won't, I'm placing bets on me pulling an open to close if he decides to make this a reality)

It it wasn't for the fact that I like and respect my store manager and don't want to leave her in a bind, I'd have told them to shove this job up their rear end when I saw this abomination of a schedule.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 11, 2017