Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Alter Ego posted:

So um...drunk Barry? Best Barry.

"No body move, I'm a cop!"
"I'm the FLAAAASH!!!"

Best Barry.

Did I miss the episode where they sent Wally on the bus outta town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"These tears are more than just water."

So just like normal tears. Thanks, Felicity.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Very strong episode start, then quickly devolved into bad by the middle.

That bitchin' line is getting some awesome reuse this season. Wonder when we'll finally see what was bitchin.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Everything with Drunk Barry was amazing. I love the hanging the lampshade on him telling everyone all the time, but him doing a drunken version of his "arrival face" was perfect.

Dibney has the perfect level of overacting. If they don't give Dibney his own show they seriously need to keep him around as part of the main team. He's a great foil to Team Flash.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mortanis posted:

Everything with Drunk Barry was amazing. I love the hanging the lampshade on him telling everyone all the time, but him doing a drunken version of his "arrival face" was perfect.

Dibney has the perfect level of overacting. If they don't give Dibney his own show they seriously need to keep him around as part of the main team. He's a great foil to Team Flash.

Dibny is basically the Malfoy of this season, one would assume.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I haven't watched the latest episode, yet, but now I'm confused. How the hell does Barry manage to get drunk?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Shaddak posted:

I haven't watched the latest episode, yet, but now I'm confused. How the hell does Barry manage to get drunk?

Cisco made up some concoction in season one or whatever that makes him drunk and they gave him TOO MUCH AND IT WAS GREAT

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Shaddak posted:

Cisco made him a special bachelor party gift of an updated version of his superliquor that actually works this time... too much.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dibney excitedly reacting to Killer Frost only for her to revert back and him going "Ah, it's only Caitlyn" was awesome.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

"No body move, I'm a cop!"
"I'm the FLAAAASH!!!"

Best Barry.

"Guys why didn't Rose make room for Jack on the doooooooor" :cry:

loving great.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I know that people acting smart would make a bad superhero show, but if a meta that wants to kill me has a wind-up time, I would not loving wait for her to wind-up...

I guess I am disappointed in Frost, she was so wonderfully no-nonsense before. :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm going to be disappointed if Caitlin never does some version of Iceman's transformation sequence from Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

"Guys why didn't Rose make room for Jack on the doooooooor" :cry:

loving great.

When he did the head flip "I got peanuts" bit I thought they were gonna pan down and there would actually be a bowl of peanuts on the table, but no Barry's just a loveable drunk dumbass :allears:

I'm SOOOO glad this show is back to doing Season 1-style fun comedy stuff. Everyone on the show is much better at that than dour drama.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

This episode made me feel pretty bad for Iris. She only had three other people at her bachelorette party - some random from out of state, her dad’s girlfriend, and a coworker. The show emphasizes that Iris and Caitlin aren’t really friends and then has Iris make Caitlin her maid of honor.

I mean, drat, Iris’s personal life must be lonely. I don’t know why they didn’t get an extra of something to be her friend.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Prairie Bus posted:

This episode made me feel pretty bad for Iris. She only had three other people at her bachelorette party - some random from out of state, her dad’s girlfriend, and a coworker. The show emphasizes that Iris and Caitlin aren’t really friends and then has Iris make Caitlin her maid of honor.

I mean, drat, Iris’s personal life must be lonely. I don’t know why they didn’t get an extra of something to be her friend.

Iris and Felicity have known each other for like four years now. I wouldn't exactly call her a rando.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Iris and Felicity have known each other for like four years now. I wouldn't exactly call her a rando.

It’d make sense if Iris and Felicity were close! But this episode didn’t show that, and Iris didn’t ask Felicity to be her maid of honor - the writers had her ask a girl she admitted wasn’t her friend.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Prairie Bus posted:

It’d make sense if Iris and Felicity were close! But this episode didn’t show that, and Iris didn’t ask Felicity to be her maid of honor - the writers had her ask a girl she admitted wasn’t her friend.

Plus, Felicity is the girl Iris tried to hook her now-fiance up with.

*AWKWARD*

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assume that Iris lost all her existing friends when she quit her job at the newspaper and moved into STAR Labs and didn't tell anyone why

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its more or less implied that after Barry left Iris threw herself into leading Team Flash and got kind of obsessed.

But also Iris kind of never had friends or a social life outside her family besides dudes who got killed by Thawne. And even her fiance was her dad's partner.

No one on Team Flash has a social life. They're all traumatized shut ins. Cisco's the most balanced of them because he has a girlfriend in another universe. Team Arrow is actually more well adjusted than them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Or maybe Caitlyn and Iris feel a kinship now that they've spent time in the field together, plus she talked Killer Frost down into being Regular Frost, which Caitlyn is grateful for.

Idk I thought the episode was fine and I liked it. :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alter Ego posted:

So um...drunk Barry? Best Barry.

:ssh: he's the flaaaaaaaaash

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

:ssh: he's the flaaaaaaaaash

Oh bullshit he is.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm sure drunk people calling themselves the Flash is not an uncommon occurrence in Central City at this point. Probably even more likely if/when they get pulled over for a DUI

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Barry getting the peanuts when drunk was fantastic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ruddiger posted:

Dibney excitedly reacting to Killer Frost only for her to revert back and him going "Ah, it's only Caitlyn" was awesome.
Pretty much the only part of this episode I actually liked.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm SOOOO glad this show is back to doing Season 1-style fun comedy stuff.
Season one was never this dumb. They've over-corrected and started pulling plot arcs from thirty-year-old sitcoms and it's the worst.

Prairie Bus posted:

Hey, it's another sitcom cliche - the office sitcom where the cast don't know anyone outside of their workplace. Does Barry still work for the police? Surely he at least has a couple of friends there, right? He's worked there for years. Did Barry and Iris grow up in complete isolation? They still live in the city they grew up in, don't they still see any childhood/highschool/uni friends?

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

Tiggum posted:

Hey, it's another sitcom cliche - the office sitcom where the cast don't know anyone outside of their workplace. Does Barry still work for the police? Surely he at least has a couple of friends there, right? He's worked there for years. Did Barry and Iris grow up in complete isolation? They still live in the city they grew up in, don't they still see any childhood/highschool/uni friends?

Honestly, I don't see the big deal people are making about this. It's one of those things that sure, sitting down and thinking about it, sounds like it would add to the show but honestly makes things more tedious. You bring in side friends even as extras then the writers have to keep playing the stupid "I'll be right back" as Barry and crew collectively leave half their group wherever they were hanging out to go fight crime. Having a sudden event happen in public means having to account for people who know Barry or anyone on team Flash vanishing from the scene or being annoyingly dumb enough not to notice when Barry vanishes and the Flash shows up. They become extra points you have to keep track of, not because they serve a narrative purpose but because we'd all be on the forums bitching about why didn't the 3 other (hypothetical extras) women think something was up when Iris's dinner got interrupted.

Being a super hero doesn't mean you can't have friends or family but logically speaking if anyone finds out who they are or that they mean something to your heroic persona, they become a target. Them knowing you are a hero doesn't put them in danger and honestly them not knowing makes things more dangerous for them and plot points more tedious. But then once your friends know they either will want to help or will want to stay nice and far away from you for fear for their lives (or you push them away). So end of the day, most if not all your friends you still hang out with would probably be in Star Labs or out of your life and you end up in the same place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Writh posted:

Honestly, I don't see the big deal people are making about this. It's one of those things that sure, sitting down and thinking about it, sounds like it would add to the show but honestly makes things more tedious. You bring in side friends even as extras then the writers have to keep playing the stupid "I'll be right back" as Barry and crew collectively leave half their group wherever they were hanging out to go fight crime.
Barry and Joe have jobs where they can legitimately be called away to fight crime. Cisco and Caitlin have jobs where they can make up any sort of bullshit and no one would know any better (and have also worked with the police and could be called away to fight crime). Iris is/was a journalist and could be called away to cover some breaking news/crime. It's only a problem if the writers are really dumb.

Writh posted:

Having a sudden event happen in public means having to account for people who know Barry or anyone on team Flash vanishing from the scene or being annoyingly dumb enough not to notice when Barry vanishes and the Flash shows up.
That already happens, so it's not like it would be worse.

Writh posted:

So end of the day, most if not all your friends you still hang out with would probably be in Star Labs or out of your life and you end up in the same place.
It's hard to tell with how vague the show is about time, but at least half the team have time for full-time jobs as well as heroics. They're not getting called away to fight crime often enough that it'd be an issue. You'd just have the outside friends show up for a couple of scenes here and there. Like Barry's buck's night. Nothing happened there that they'd have any trouble explaining. Iris's would be a different story, but it's not that much more effort to explain some fortuitous circumstance where the civilians didn't figure out what was going on.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Tiggum posted:

Barry and Joe have jobs where they can legitimately be called away to fight crime. Cisco and Caitlin have jobs where they can make up any sort of bullshit and no one would know any better (and have also worked with the police and could be called away to fight crime). Iris is/was a journalist and could be called away to cover some breaking news/crime. It's only a problem if the writers are really dumb.

So what you're saying is... there's a problem?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I'm glad that episode did was walk back the thing from last season where being Killer Frost somehow gave Caitlin healing powers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I mean, Iris did have another non-work social relationship. He got loving killed.

When you're leading a double-life like this, it makes it pretty natural to not feel close to the people who you aren't letting in on this super important aspect of your life. It's not just some theoretical super-hero thing, either. lgbt, unusual religious practices, criminal drug use, pretty much any subculture that's far enough outside the norm that you might not tell casual friends. If you feel like you have to constantly lie and hide a huge part of yourself from someone in order for them to stay your friend, that's an enormous strain on a relationship. You'll either have to let them in on it eventually, or they'll never become a close friend.

But in this case, they can't really let other people in on their poo poo. Isn't that a thing you see with cops, too? They become massively socially isolated other than their "brothers in blue"? It's similar to that. Unfortunately, the writers haven't earned this, they've never shown Iris struggling with her outside friends. It was executed poorly. But I think the concept makes sense.

(but yeah it's mostly a practical issue of casting & writing probably...)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 9, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really like the monologue just saying that Barry was lost in time and they're just going to ignore last season almost entirely.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not actually criticizing the show. It makes perfect sense that Iris - who has already had multiple people she cared about get murdered by Flash's enemies - to resist forming deep relationships with people outside their world to avoid putting people in danger. Not to mention that keeping Team Flash's secrets or Barry's secrets effectively mean you have to lie to anyone else in your life. Maybe the reason Caitlin always ends up attracted to coworkers is because if she ever dated some random dude she'd have to lie constantly to him and couldn't build an actual relationship. I'm more than happy to accept that it makes sense for Team Flash to get all insulated and bond over their shared secrets, danger, and trauma.

Its just kind of funny to laugh about after an episode like this that really highlights it.

I mean, they could have wrote in a couple of random Iris bridesmaids we never met before, but what would be the point? They'd have to write them out just as quickly to tell their stories unless you got them more involved and that just makes everything clumsier and more complicated. Iris has no friends. I can accept that. It moves the story along better. And Caitlin has no friends either so its a good starting point for some bonding.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iris having one random friend show up could have been a good source of comedy. Like, her room mate from college who hasn't seen her in awhile and is confused to find out she's working at a closed high tech lab despite being a journalism major. Maybe do a slightly meta joke where all the characters realize they don't have any lives outside of their relationship to a superhero. And then eye worm guy shows up and the friend nopes the gently caress out

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, they coulda but I'm willing to go with the idea that somewhere between her brother becoming a super hero to her fiance killing himself to erase the existence of a time traveling psychopath speedster descendant to her getting a new secret brother who also becomes a superhero to her getting engaged with her first brother to his evil duplicate coming back in time to murder her to her brotherfiance disappearing into a time space...

Well its probably easier to just stop checking Facebook and ghost your college buds.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’M THE FLAAASH!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Invalid Validation posted:

I’M THE FLAAASH!

Seriously needs to be the new thread title.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iris' three closest women friends

- A friend of her fiance's she's met like twice

- A coworker she doesn't really interact with

- Her dad's girlfriend

It's real sad

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Iris' three closest women friends

- A friend of her fiance's she's met like twice

- A coworker she doesn't really interact with

- Her dad's girlfriend

It's real sad

That's pretty bad. I thought about how bad it was for Felicity and I realized that she has at least one more female friend than Iris, even though one is now in a coma, one is busy being the director of a clandestine organization, and one is a coworker she doesn't really interact with either. She does have that hacker friend/fangirl at least, but she's going into hiding iirc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's just bad writing. Give your characters a life outside the screen. Iris still has a job, too, but they forgot that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But hey, that's #feminism for you.