Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

What do you do if you want to learn how to draw? I don't think practicing is enough to learn when I don't know the basics or anything. Is there techniques that make it easier to draw well? All I know is that no matter how much I practice my stuff is still garbage. I can't do perspective, posing, anatomical accuracy, lighting, or anything unless I trace it and even then it still looks like poo poo. I try looking for guides online, but those don't help at all. I'm assuming that I have to go to an actual class in order to learn.

I've asked people this before, but I never get a good answer. Practice isn't enough if I don't know what to practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Skeleton King posted:

What do you do if you want to learn how to draw? I don't think practicing is enough to learn when I don't know the basics or anything. Is there techniques that make it easier to draw well? All I know is that no matter how much I practice my stuff is still garbage. I can't do perspective, posing, anatomical accuracy, lighting, or anything unless I trace it and even then it still looks like poo poo. I try looking for guides online, but those don't help at all. I'm assuming that I have to go to an actual class in order to learn.

I've asked people this before, but I never get a good answer. Practice isn't enough if I don't know what to practice.

I was in this situation and I even took a traditional fine arts course in post-secondary hoping to come out of it better and I was still useless. Let me know if you find something that works but I ended up just finding other means to express my creativity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I'd say take a trip to the library and pick up
Learn to Draw in 30 Days. It has different exercises to do every day for 30 days, and they're all based on the basic fundamentals.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the Gold Standard and will help you tremendously

Look up Proko on YouTube and watch the (free!) series on basic drawing skills.

Draw anything/everything around you, don't be afraid to draw badly, because every mistake is a chance to learn. It's an artform based on learning from failure, bud.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Anybody ever sell/buy voice production on Fiverr? What’s the market Iike for mid- to high-quality male voice?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a really good iPad stylus for light drawing that works on my Air 2?

I probably need a fairly thin one, already have some medium and large once with a generic nub. I imagine one with a tip is preferable here.

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds
Is it bad to learn too much in terms of post production skills (or just art in general)?

I'm a video editor that focuses on motion graphic work, but lately I just can't seem to latch onto a job after the interview process (too many 2nd and 3rd round interviews this year that led nowhere; too much time taken off from my current full-time job.) I feel like I have too many broad skill-sets among the two that I focus my career on. I see it as more tools to use, but I'm not sure the companies I'm interviewing for see it as that. Keep in mind, these skills are in software that compliment my work and are not just random, unnecessary things I pick up here and there. I'm curious if anyone has felt the same way.

Edit: I suppose this should go into career advice but I've made my mark unless I can remove it...

Rusty Bodega fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 13, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

does anyone have any recommendations for cheap scanners (like the stuff under $200) that won't completely destroy digitizing artwork?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
These two Doxies are pretty cute and portable, but depends on the size of your canvas and material you draw with:

* http://www.getdoxie.com/product/doxie-q/
* http://www.getdoxie.com/product/flip/index.html

Here's the Wirecutter's recs:

* Portable document scanner
* Best cheap scanner

These days, especially with AR, you could probably just get an app to scan your paper to automatically re-orient it flatly for you. The latest version of iOS's Camera app also has an orientation reticle to ensure your phone is aligned with the floor, too.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I've been trying to get a female voice for a mod I'm working on for "The Ur-Quan Masters". It's the last mod in a trinity of mods that I was working on that will re-add missing dialogue from the (unvoiced) original PC version, and thus make the voiced version of this awesome game actually finishable without a guide/random exploration.

I've posted ads on the first two voice acting forums I found that allow for unpaid auditions (http://voiceacting.boards.net/thread/1509/quan-masters-syreen-voice-mod and http://www.voiceacting.space/Thread-Video-Game-The-Ur-Quan-Masters-%E2%80%93-Syreen-Voice-Mod) but I've had no responses to either one of those despite them approaching their end date.

Other ads posted around the same time seem to be getting a lot more traction.

Are my audition posts bad? Am I asking in the wrong place? Can anyone recommend a place to get female voice acting for a game mod?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Rusty Bodega posted:

Is it bad to learn too much in terms of post production skills (or just art in general)?

I'm a video editor that focuses on motion graphic work, but lately I just can't seem to latch onto a job after the interview process (too many 2nd and 3rd round interviews this year that led nowhere; too much time taken off from my current full-time job.) I feel like I have too many broad skill-sets among the two that I focus my career on. I see it as more tools to use, but I'm not sure the companies I'm interviewing for see it as that. Keep in mind, these skills are in software that compliment my work and are not just random, unnecessary things I pick up here and there. I'm curious if anyone has felt the same way.

Edit: I suppose this should go into career advice but I've made my mark unless I can remove it...

I like to have a broad set of skills, too. I think it's made me more useful and valuable, but I think there's still a myth that if you do several things then you must not be very good at any of them.

Could you just tailor your application more specifically to the job you're applying for? If they're looking for an after effects animator, maybe don't even mention premiere/final cut/nuke/whatever?

I don't exactly know the answer, but I do have the same worries as you. Are you sure that's the reason they're knocking you back, or is it just a hunch?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Soul Reaver posted:

I've been trying to get a female voice for a mod I'm working on for "The Ur-Quan Masters". It's the last mod in a trinity of mods that I was working on that will re-add missing dialogue from the (unvoiced) original PC version, and thus make the voiced version of this awesome game actually finishable without a guide/random exploration.

I've posted ads on the first two voice acting forums I found that allow for unpaid auditions (http://voiceacting.boards.net/thread/1509/quan-masters-syreen-voice-mod and http://www.voiceacting.space/Thread-Video-Game-The-Ur-Quan-Masters-%E2%80%93-Syreen-Voice-Mod) but I've had no responses to either one of those despite them approaching their end date.

Other ads posted around the same time seem to be getting a lot more traction.

Are my audition posts bad? Am I asking in the wrong place? Can anyone recommend a place to get female voice acting for a game mod?

Just my two cents, as a freelance artist myself who's frequently had to navigate online job postings:

• You spend the first half of the post talking about Star Control 2, and where to download it. It's never a good sign when the job posting front-loads with a bunch of information that really isn't necessary to the job. Remove the link and plug to your mod, it reads as self-promotion.
  • There's never any mention of what kind of compensation the job offers - this is the big one, for me. Posting a budget or a rate will get more replies guaranteed; if this isn't a paid gig, come out and say that right at the beginning.
  • Some may consider this more personal taste, but you should strongly consider re-wording your description of the character to sound less like it was written by a nerdy video game dude who has a hard-on for the character. Use less words like, "babe" and "sexual" and you might find yourself getting more hits. Limit discussions of the story and character specifics to people who reply to the ad and need more info.
  • This sentence here:

quote:

Note that while the bitrate of the audio will end up being reduced in the final release (to match the bitrate of the other voiceovers in the game), decent quality recordings are still requested
    This sentence implies to me that you'll be putting whatever sample file I send you into the game. It's totally unnecessary, of course any professional, high-quality voice actor is going to send a decent quality sample. You can discuss bitrate and file format outside of the ad, it's irrelevant to finding a good actor. Samples will often be downgraded or not full quality simply because unscrupulous types often use samples or tests to gather free artwork without any intention of actually hiring someone.
  • Consider using a more professional email address than a video game reference at hotmail dot com
  • Since this is a mod for an already-released (and presumably copyrighted) game, consider making it clear that you have the rights to use the already-written scripts, as well as the voices from the previous version of the game.

In short your entire ad could be shortened by as much as 2/3. I'd do it this way: Put the relevant info up front - Limit the description of the project to 2 or 3 sentences. Put budget info (or, if none, clearly state this) where it can be seen without having to scroll down. Briefly describe the character (short physical descriptions OK, refrain from using words like "babe"). Say that the tone of the game is pulpy/vintage inspired but that the characters are fully-realized and will run the spectrum of emotions. Posting the trailer to give an idea of the tone of the game is a good idea, but put it at the end and frame it as such, rather than sticking it in the middle of a long-winded paragraph about how awesome Star Control 2 is. Basically, you're doing this because you love the game - any potential voice actors are doing this because they want to eat/pay rent/not be homeless, respect that and don't waste their time with unnecessary info.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

gmc9987 posted:

Just my two cents, as a freelance artist myself who's frequently had to navigate online job postings:

• You spend the first half of the post talking about Star Control 2, and where to download it. It's never a good sign when the job posting front-loads with a bunch of information that really isn't necessary to the job. Remove the link and plug to your mod, it reads as self-promotion.
  • There's never any mention of what kind of compensation the job offers - this is the big one, for me. Posting a budget or a rate will get more replies guaranteed; if this isn't a paid gig, come out and say that right at the beginning.
  • Some may consider this more personal taste, but you should strongly consider re-wording your description of the character to sound less like it was written by a nerdy video game dude who has a hard-on for the character. Use less words like, "babe" and "sexual" and you might find yourself getting more hits. Limit discussions of the story and character specifics to people who reply to the ad and need more info.
  • This sentence here:

This sentence implies to me that you'll be putting whatever sample file I send you into the game. It's totally unnecessary, of course any professional, high-quality voice actor is going to send a decent quality sample. You can discuss bitrate and file format outside of the ad, it's irrelevant to finding a good actor. Samples will often be downgraded or not full quality simply because unscrupulous types often use samples or tests to gather free artwork without any intention of actually hiring someone.
  • Consider using a more professional email address than a video game reference at hotmail dot com
  • Since this is a mod for an already-released (and presumably copyrighted) game, consider making it clear that you have the rights to use the already-written scripts, as well as the voices from the previous version of the game.

In short your entire ad could be shortened by as much as 2/3. I'd do it this way: Put the relevant info up front - Limit the description of the project to 2 or 3 sentences. Put budget info (or, if none, clearly state this) where it can be seen without having to scroll down. Briefly describe the character (short physical descriptions OK, refrain from using words like "babe"). Say that the tone of the game is pulpy/vintage inspired but that the characters are fully-realized and will run the spectrum of emotions. Posting the trailer to give an idea of the tone of the game is a good idea, but put it at the end and frame it as such, rather than sticking it in the middle of a long-winded paragraph about how awesome Star Control 2 is. Basically, you're doing this because you love the game - any potential voice actors are doing this because they want to eat/pay rent/not be homeless, respect that and don't waste their time with unnecessary info.

Thanks for the feedback. I mentioned in the first sentence that the game is open source but I'll try to clarify that this refers to the game itself, not just the re-release..

The work is unpaid (that in itself is clearly not the problem though this case though because the other more successful ads are also unpaid). In one forum it's posted specifically in a section of the forum for unpaid auditions, in the other I used the 'unpaid' tag - but perhaps it'll help to make it clearer in the text.

The original game has an ESRB rating of E but this particular character is often a walking double-entendre. Is it a good idea to leave that out of the ad? Playing that aspect up is where most of the humour with that character comes from. Maybe I'll try to word it differently...

As for the email address, it's in reference to a character of a tandem story and main protagonist of a well-respected Warcraft 3 mod I created - a character which I developed and been around since even before the very first Legacy of Kain game came out (see https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/to-the-bitter-end.202289/ for the mod). I realize others likely won't know that but it's a bugbear of mine that many people think I'm referring to Legacy of Kain when I'm not.

Are there any other places I could post this up?

EDIT: Made some changes to the ad already.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 15, 2017

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'm more focused on the visual arts side of freelancing so I can't help you find more outlets, but I would suggest reworking the ad, waiting maybe a week or so, and posting a new version in as many places as you can find, including the places you already posted it at. It won't hurt to post there again, in any case. The email comment was less about the specific video game reference, and more that a hotmail.com address (especially with a video game reference as the account name) does not exactly inspire confidence in your professionalism. Make a throwaway gmail address if you have to, info.masters_of_ur_quan@gmail.com looks a lot better than a hotmail account.

Looks like the budget question is covered already, so I guess you can disregard that. I would say, simply, that brevity is your friend. Even though you're giving the same information as a lot of other ads on the same forums, the way you've written it is sort of meandering and doesn't really give the most important information first. Consider turning the character description into a short list, like they do in this ad, and maybe cut the sample dialogue lines down to 2, with some direction for how they're supposed to be read. In short, focus more on giving potential leads what they need in a concise form, and less on the specifics of the project. Also consider that, although the character may very well be written in an empowering or obviously satirical way, a lot of female actors and voice actors may be hesitant to devote free time to yet another sexed-up bikini-clad side character. You need to find a way to describe the character so that your audience (women who want to do voice acting for you for free) is interested in it, and removing the character picture from the ad as well as descriptions of babe-ness could help you do that.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
InDesign -

So like, in Illustrator, if I move an object, I can hit COMMAND+D to repeat that action (moving another thing the same amount of space). Or I can hit enter and enter again. Basically, lots of quick ways to repeat that last action in Illustrator.

Does that function exist in InDesign? Am I not seeing it?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone have experience in boothing at art and craft festivals and the like? Wondering how many pieces I should have (other than what’s required to submit) to show.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Ferrule posted:

InDesign -

So like, in Illustrator, if I move an object, I can hit COMMAND+D to repeat that action (moving another thing the same amount of space). Or I can hit enter and enter again. Basically, lots of quick ways to repeat that last action in Illustrator.

Does that function exist in InDesign? Am I not seeing it?

Object > transform again. All of the options in there either don't have hotkeys assigned or have really awkward shortcuts, but it's easy enough to modify the shortcuts to whatever you want in preferences. At least, I think that's what you're looking for. I am using the latest, InDesign 2018. Not sure when that command was introduced and if it's new or not, I don't use InDesign that often.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Hey man that certainly helps. Thank you. I was afraid to use that thinking it was more like the same function in Photoshop and it would scale or rotate or whatever.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Looking for suggestions for an inexpensive but decent quality online place to a have short run of stickers printed... probably fewer than 100.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What do you do if you want to learn how to draw? I don't think practicing is enough to learn when I don't know the basics or anything. Is there techniques that make it easier to draw well?

The no bullshit answer is that you have to repeatedly practice the core principle of drawing, which is the visualization of 3D objects on a 2D surface. You need to be able to invent boxes, spheres, and cylinders on a piece of paper and be able to rotate them in space at the angles you desire. The reason you practice this over and over isn't simply because it lets you draw these shapes for more extensive drawings, but because the process will actually train your brain to be able to visualize the three-dimensionality of a drawing even without the usual guidelines.

I did this sketch in about 2-3 minutes earlier tonight. The only guideline I had was that faint one going down the middle of the face; there's no cubes, spheres, or cylinders to be had. Part of this is me having drawing the face a whole lot at this angle, but the bigger part of it is that I can actually visualize its three-dimensionality. I can imagine the blockiness of the jaw as it wraps around the face. I can see the roundness of the cheek as it covers up the other side of the jaw. I can see the side plane of the head at the edge of the eyebrow as it recedes back. I can feel the curve of the back of the skull and the hair that sits on top of it. The basic shapes of before are still there, but they're in mind, rather than on the paper. The whole process is somewhat difficult to describe, because it's a learned skill, like how to catch a ball: you can tell someone the basics, but until they practice enough, they'll never be able to catch it consistently.

I should note that you do not have to practice this by sitting down and doing nothing but drawing pages and pages of cubes. I've kept fairly meticulous records of my artistic output, and there's only a few pages of cubes, spheres, and cylinders to be found. I think you should practice those shapes until you can pretty consistently make them appear on paper, and then begin to move on to more advanced concepts where you'll be utilizing the shapes to begin to draw more complex forms. Look at Proko's head drawing series, and then look at the figure drawing fundamentals. Pay special attention to the Robobean lesson. I watched it maybe a year and a half ago and kinda brushed it off, then went back to it about a year ago when I was really struggling with trying to draw the human form. It was the first point in my artistic career where I really "got it" and began to understand how vital those simple forms - the box, the sphere, and the cylinder - really are.

The best advice I can give beyond this is to persevere and try new things, and look for small victories rather than giant leaps. Draw whatever you can, whenever you can, and see how much you can simplify things down into those basic shapes when you're drawing them. I'm completely self taught without a lick of formal training beyond online tutorials and a few books I bought, and it took me probably two and a half years of consistent practice to get to the point where I'm finally starting to feel confident in my artistic output. Drawing is probably always going to feel a little weird and uncertain, but I can guarantee that consistent practice with the fundamentals and a willingness to learn will get you places.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 25, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm writing a technical book and am looking for a place to maintain post-publishing "corrections". Normally authors do this on their website or their publishers website, but would it be weird to maintain it though GitHub?

I also ask because I intended on posting some book-related code there as well.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

dupersaurus posted:

Anyone have experience in boothing at art and craft festivals and the like? Wondering how many pieces I should have (other than what’s required to submit) to show.

I've done jewelry, what are you offering?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Spinster posted:

I've done jewelry, what are you offering?

Block prints and/or wood carving

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

dupersaurus posted:

Block prints and/or wood carving

Well tbh I don't know then. Usually at craft fairs people display/take/ show everything they have.

I don't know about juried art shows, just craft fairs.

I have probably 150 pairs of earrings on fancy handmade cards and 65 or so necklaces.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Anyone have some idea for ways to color resin, or polymer clay? We make miniature food for dolls, and usually do the color by mixing in powdered chalks or applying it with a sponge after sculpting/forming.

My job is just wrangling the paperwork right now but I've almost finished that project. I'll move on to the creative and production parts soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A bunch of stuff works: https://www.sculpey.com/create/products-you-can-use-on-polymer-clay/ https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=74045.0

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Oh awesome, thanks. We haven't tried most of that stuff yet.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I'd like to get this scanned page vectorized in Illustrator but it's not detecting all of the dotted lines. Is there a way to change the Image Trace settings to make it more sensitive?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's probably easier/quicker to just do the dotted lines from scratch.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

8 Ball posted:

I'd like to get this scanned page vectorized in Illustrator but it's not detecting all of the dotted lines. Is there a way to change the Image Trace settings to make it more sensitive?

There is - after doing the image trace, with the object selected, got to Window > Image Trace and you'll get a whole panel of settings to play around with. Honestly though, other than the calender in the bottom there isn't anything in that image that would take more than 3 minutes to make from scratch in illustrator. Image trace is pretty good but depending on the quality and resolution of your source image you can get varying or uneven results. I agree with The Dave.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Is there a term for the fantasy fiction subgenre of someone from the "normal" world being dropped into a fantasy world? Thomas Covenant, Narnia, Mirror of Her Dreams, even My Teacher Is an Alien. That kind of fish-out-of-water story (I thought that might be it, but googling it doesn't look like it's the right term)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Petr posted:

Is there a term for the fantasy fiction subgenre of someone from the "normal" world being dropped into a fantasy world? Thomas Covenant, Narnia, Mirror of Her Dreams, even My Teacher Is an Alien. That kind of fish-out-of-water story (I thought that might be it, but googling it doesn't look like it's the right term)

portal fantasy?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Tunicate posted:

portal fantasy?

Hey, that's it, thanks! I knew there was a term for it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Recommendations of mid-level watercolour paints? I'm using this a fair bit, but discovering that colour mixing kind of sucks with watercolours. I'm also discovering that watercolours are really loving expensive the second you step out of the kiddie pool. If I'm going to drop $50-100+ on something, I need to know I'm getting something I won't regret in a week. However, there's a pile of different options in that price range. (I know it isn't any worse than my Copic markers, but I was able to nickel and dime my way to a collection through sales in the pre-shortage era.)

Any suggestions of a set with more colour options than 12? Already ruled out Koi's sets because the pans are too tiny/close together to be useful for my messy style and larger work. I'm open to tubes or pans, and lean towards earthy tones. Amazon/local vendors seem to have QoR, Sennelier Aquarelles, W&N Cotmans, Royal Brush and Langnickel, Meeden, Zig Kuretake, and heaps of things at a lower price-point that I assume are for kids.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Even if you go cheap, make sure you are still buying artist grade paints. Like regular W&N is fine, but cotman's is their student grade and is really bad. Utretcht storebrand is pretty good for storebrand paint without being too expensive (high amount of pigment usually). Sennelier Artist's Watercolor isn't too bad but the tubes tend to be very small, but again avoid their student line which I believe is the Aquarelles?

I haven't used a lot of those other brands you mentioned, my personal go to is Daniel Smith but they can be on the pricy side. Though with sales I've been able to get a nice set up with them over time.

If you are having trouble mixing colors with watercolor I suspect that'll be because you are using student grade paint. They have too much filler, not enough pigment so you usually don't get pleasing mixtures when you mix them together. The color will fade too much and the result will just be really lifeless. You shouldn't have that issue with artist grade paint.

If budget is a concern, I think it would be far better to get a few tubes of a high quality brand and then use a limited palette for your paintings, instead of getting a bunch of poor quality paints.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

JuniperCake posted:

Even if you go cheap, make sure you are still buying artist grade paints. Like regular W&N is fine, but cotman's is their student grade and is really bad. Utretcht storebrand is pretty good for storebrand paint without being too expensive (high amount of pigment usually). Sennelier Artist's Watercolor isn't too bad but the tubes tend to be very small, but again avoid their student line which I believe is the Aquarelles?

I haven't used a lot of those other brands you mentioned, my personal go to is Daniel Smith but they can be on the pricy side. Though with sales I've been able to get a nice set up with them over time.

If you are having trouble mixing colors with watercolor I suspect that'll be because you are using student grade paint. They have too much filler, not enough pigment so you usually don't get pleasing mixtures when you mix them together. The color will fade too much and the result will just be really lifeless. You shouldn't have that issue with artist grade paint.

If budget is a concern, I think it would be far better to get a few tubes of a high quality brand and then use a limited palette for your paintings, instead of getting a bunch of poor quality paints.

I still don't understand why an empty pallet box is $60+. Also, wtf is the point of wasting 1/12th of a set on a white pan? Watercolors are weird. Here's what my local/only shop carries, so it looks like Daniel Smith is a solid option. I was leaning towards QoR, but reviews make it sound like it doesn't always play nice with different brands.

Would it work to buy a limited selection of artist's grade, mix them in pans, and run with that for awhile? Or would the pigment mixing be unstable? It would be impossible to get the same shade twice, but I'm not worried about it at this point. I'm drafting out a second graphic novel after the first went over well in my AE class. I felt really limited by my Cotman set's inability to mix well, and wound up using acrylic inks instead. Acrylic is great until your cat walks through it, then across everything else, and you don't notice til it's dry.

I saw a really cute DIY palette set where someone had dremelled out the centre peg of Lego blocks and attached them to a tin with magnets. I might just stick some pans in an altoid tin and call it a day.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
i just started seeing a girl who's into art, wanted to get her a nicer set of colored pencils because she's been doing a lot of sketches lately - any good recommendations on a nice set I could give as a little surprise gift?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

sba posted:

i just started seeing a girl who's into art, wanted to get her a nicer set of colored pencils because she's been doing a lot of sketches lately - any good recommendations on a nice set I could give as a little surprise gift?

As a fellow sketching artist, 99% of the time what I really, really want to get as a gift is large quantities of the materials and brands that I already use. If you know she likes a brand she can't usually afford get her that, but i'd try to find out her preferences first.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If she doesn't have any preferences for specific materials/brands, Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils are the best you can get in terms of quality.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Vermain posted:

If she doesn't have any preferences for specific materials/brands, Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils are the best you can get in terms of quality.

Truth. They ain't cheap, but they're really nice to use.

What does she use for her regular sketching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I've recently gotten into video editing in order to make animated gifs. I make purely derivative works by taking TV/movie footage and editing it to make something new, such as a mashup of multiple scenes, editing longer scenes down to shorter ones, or simply modifying something to make it loop smoothly. Is that sort of thing OK to post in this subforum, or would that be considered plagiarism/copyright infringement?