Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Finale next week

I can't believe I'm still interested in this, it's been so long since I could say that about an AHS season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That was pretty good. I'm not a fan of nonlinear storytelling, but I can see how this season wouldn't have worked as well if they'd presented it in chronological order.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I'm sad Winter is gone

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

One episode to go and this has been a legitimately good show this season.

I think a lot of it is down to Evan Peters basically being the main character because he is a legit great actor.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It has been a fun ride, but man, during that opening segment when they were trading buzzwords and references, I kept flashing back to every previous season. How they ended. How it all came crashing down. This season, sadly, is no different. My feet are firmly on the ground.

The reveal that BeBe convinced Kai to mastermind this entire thing in the name of "female rage," it just doesn't do it for me. I already hate this newly paranoid Kai who doesn't realize he's being lied to in the most obvious manner. I know, I know. It's realistic as far as the crazy, paranoid cult leader, but it just doesn't make for a good ending. I mean, if he would really listen to Charlie, he'd eliminate all the women. Who, by the way, are in fact the ones plotting against him! He let Winter convince him that Beverly was a traitor, and now he's let Ally do the same thing with Winter. Not only that, they started to do so because of his own actions, making them second class citizens in the cult, and allowing BeBe to fill their heads with S.C.U.M. manifesto. Was Kai just placating BeBe this whole time before he could find a way to get rid of her? Was he really that under her spell despite forging his own path?

Put it this way, what could possibly be the satisfying conclusion? Ally kills Kai and runs away free with Oz? She takes over the cult in his stead? Beverly snaps out of it and helps her? They were lying about the supernatural and Twisty himself shows up to wreck everybody?

Like I said, flashbacks. They always tank the ending.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I don't want to spoil too much by going through this thread but it seems like people are enjoying this season. Would you recommend it to someone who's not enjoyed it since season 2?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spermanent Record posted:

I don't want to spoil too much by going through this thread but it seems like people are enjoying this season. Would you recommend it to someone who's not enjoyed it since season 2?

I'd watch the first two episodes and if ya don't like it, bail. I found the first one extremely heavy-handed with 2016 election references but the 2nd toned it down a lot. It's not my favorite but it's been overall p. solid IMO.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

It has been a fun ride, but man, during that opening segment when they were trading buzzwords and references, I kept flashing back to every previous season. How they ended. How it all came crashing down. This season, sadly, is no different. My feet are firmly on the ground.

The reveal that BeBe convinced Kai to mastermind this entire thing in the name of "female rage," it just doesn't do it for me. I already hate this newly paranoid Kai who doesn't realize he's being lied to in the most obvious manner. I know, I know. It's realistic as far as the crazy, paranoid cult leader, but it just doesn't make for a good ending. I mean, if he would really listen to Charlie, he'd eliminate all the women. Who, by the way, are in fact the ones plotting against him! He let Winter convince him that Beverly was a traitor, and now he's let Ally do the same thing with Winter. Not only that, they started to do so because of his own actions, making them second class citizens in the cult, and allowing BeBe to fill their heads with S.C.U.M. manifesto. Was Kai just placating BeBe this whole time before he could find a way to get rid of her? Was he really that under her spell despite forging his own path?

Put it this way, what could possibly be the satisfying conclusion? Ally kills Kai and runs away free with Oz? She takes over the cult in his stead? Beverly snaps out of it and helps her? They were lying about the supernatural and Twisty himself shows up to wreck everybody?

Like I said, flashbacks. They always tank the ending.

Way to overanalyze the fun out of the show for yourself.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OmegaBR posted:

I think Kai was totally on board with BeBe's plan right up until the Blueshirt Bros showed up. Like her they offered him approval and purpose, but a much more attractive purpose.

With the original cult members he had to constantly manipulate each member individually to keep them on script because each wanted different things. The blueshirt militia are much more homogenous, so he's able to manipulate them all at once with a single message. They also offer him more direct power through physical intimidation, which is more immediately satisfying than Beverly nudging public opinion with slanted reporting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What about The Night of a Thousand Tates? I'm really looking forward to that.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It was really hard not to hear them yelling out 'NIGHT OF A THOUSAND TAINTS' when he first said it but it made more sense afterwards. Also, while I didn't mind the dude's portrayal of the other cult leaders something about how he did Manson seemed off? Maybe it was the voice or the body posture, but it didn't say Charles Manson really.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

esperterra posted:

What about The Night of a Thousand Tates? I'm really looking forward to that.

This has already been the season of at least half-a-dozen Tates :v:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spermanent Record posted:

I think it's the best season SINCE 2, myself. As someone mentioned it comes off SUPER heavy handed at first, but the thing is.. it knows it. Once you realize it's VERY self-aware about how ridiculous it's being, it suddenly becomes immensely entertaining.

It's also some pretty amusing satire because it's so ridiculous. All of these PC facebook war ideas and phrases being thrown around while hacking people to bits is kind of hilarious. It's definitely walking a tight rope, but it's doing an impressive job of it. It's tongue is FIRMLY in it's cheek from the get go and it also seems to very much be on the "everybody's loving nuts, it's a matter of degrees" side of the fence when talking about political stuff. If the show has an agenda, it's to mock agendas and maybe, just maybe, people should calm the gently caress down and return to some logic.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 10, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think it's the best season SINCE 2, myself.

The guy who's writing the season finale -- Tim Minear -- is the same guy who was showrunner back in Season 2 (and only season 2; he got kicked out of that position for Season 3). I guess he's back in charge now.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's also some pretty amusing satire because it's so ridiculous. All of these PC facebook war ideas and phrases being thrown around while hacking people to bits is kind of hilarious. It's definitely walking a tight rope, but it's doing an impressive job of it. It's tongue is FIRMLY in it's cheek from the get go and it also seems to very much be on the "everybody's loving nuts, it's a matter of degrees" side of the fence when talking about political stuff. If the show has an agenda, it's to mock agendas and maybe, just maybe, people should calm the gently caress down and return to some logic.

Ryan Murphy's "maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle" attitude is why this season is so embarrassingly bad

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

seizure later posted:

Ryan Murphy's "maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle" attitude is why this season is so embarrassingly bad

Uh, no. The show consistently comes out against Trump and the alt-right. It doesn't devote nearly the same attention to Clinton.

But beyond that, its critique of the left is that they lack cohesion and run the risk of reactionary politics and astroturfing as a result. Its critique of the right is that they're so incapable of dealing with the inadequacy of their personal situation that they've decided to kowtow to the needs of a manbaby in the pursuit of power over integrity.

It's not siding against both sides, but rather suggesting that the right have completely lost it and that the left needs a wake-up call before they lose it as well. i.e. that the women need to start working together rather than engaging in literal backstabbing if they want to stop Tate.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 12, 2017

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uh, no. The show consistently comes out against Trump and the alt-right. It doesn't devote nearly the same attention to Clinton.

But beyond that, its critique of the left is that they lack cohesion and run the risk of reactionary politics and astroturfing as a result. Its critique of the right is that they're so incapable of dealing with the inadequacy of their personal situation that they've decided to kowtow to the needs of a manbaby in the pursuit of power over integrity.

It's not siding against both sides, but rather suggesting that the right have completely lost it and that the left needs a wake-up call before they lose it as well. i.e. that the women need to start working together rather than engaging in literal backstabbing if they want to stop Tate.

Granted, this is true for all the left leaning characters this season as well, who are shown to be rather easily manipulated by Kai (Beverly wants more respect, Meadow wants out of her desperate situation, Winter sees him as a pillar of strength, etc.) Especially Ivy, who got so mad at Gary she helped Winter kidnap him. Then she joined the cult and participated in actual murders because she married a fainthearted woman that didn't help her enough around the shop and had the nerve to say "my baby" in reference to their child.

Although I agree, after the last episode and this whole concept of "female rage," the conclusion appears to be that women specifically need to stick together and not let Hillary's defeat define their place in society. Although all of Ally's disorders and fears were actually assuaged by Kai's treatment of her, she did find the strength to get through the hardship and seek revenge. You could correlate that with the idea of living and fighting in Trump's America in order to come out the other side.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Open Source Idiom posted:

While the right-wing criticism is on the nose, its critiquing of the left is a bit more insidious when it includes the attempts of a lesbian housewife repeatedly gaslighting and attempting to drive her partner insane for the unforgivable crime of voting Jill Stein. It seemed to be to be a pretty clear metaphor for the fracturing of the Democrats.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ElectricSheep posted:

While the right-wing criticism is on the nose, its critiquing of the left is a bit more insidious when it includes the attempts of a lesbian housewife repeatedly gaslighting and attempting to drive her partner insane for the unforgivable crime of voting Jill Stein. It seemed to be to be a pretty clear metaphor for the fracturing of the Democrats.

Yeah if people aren't seeing the ripping on the left, they're missing the point. There's a reason so many of the characters were either hard left, or extreme parodies of the hard left. It's just that the parody is more subtle there because the alt-right is like a cartoon that can stare at rain and say it's sunny. The extreme left are absolutely given some pretty amusing barbs.

Also the answer isn't always in the middle but Jesus Christ, politics is not even about moderate ideals anymore. It's about just about one side trying to absolutely destroy "them" and "them" is whoever they are not by screaming about it and only screaming into megaphones in their own circles. Nobody talks. Nobody trades ideas. People trade insults with the enemy.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yeah if people aren't seeing the ripping on the left, they're missing the point. There's a reason so many of the characters were either hard left, or extreme parodies of the hard left. It's just that the parody is more subtle there because the alt-right is like a cartoon that can stare at rain and say it's sunny. The extreme left are absolutely given some pretty amusing barbs.

Also the answer isn't always in the middle but Jesus Christ, politics is not even about moderate ideals anymore. It's about just about one side trying to absolutely destroy "them" and "them" is whoever they are not by screaming about it and only screaming into megaphones in their own circles. Nobody talks. Nobody trades ideas. People trade insults with the enemy.

Typical liberal cuck talk.

...Joking aside, I think you're pretty spot on here. If you had time travelled from ten years ago you'd need a glossary to understand the debate climate of today. Everyone is a cartoonish caricature and labeling everyone else as different caricatures. You even find this INSIDE the political fractions, with alt-right Trump-fanboys calling other republicans CUCKservatives or trans-activists labelling second-wave feminists as TERFS. That's all there is to politics in 2017. Come up with new insults, shout them as loud as possible while covering your ears whenever anyone tries to make a reasonable debate. I'm not a big fan of Hillary Clinton either, but the debates where Trump was making faces behind her back and constantly interrupting her with grade school-level insults showed why some consider him to be a great politician. He debates like most people do nowadays. If Hillary had flipped him off and mocked his speech mannerisms in debates and shared memes of him eating her rear end on Twitter she would have won by a landslide, but no, she was busy pretending to be a politician.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
lol if you think this political climate is anything new. America had a civil war over political values for fucks sake.

But back to the show, I've just found it a disjointed mess with no real reason to care about any of the characters and thus feel there are zero stakes to whatever outcome they throw up at the end.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Maybe you’re right. Maybe you’ve always had it that way, and it just recently began to bleed over into other countries so we foreigners think it’s new.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One of my favorite seasons

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

definitely one of the better seasons of AHS and stayed surprisingly coherent (compared to other seasons)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Really good season. Still had its typical AHS plot holes and eye rolling moments but I enjoyed it a lot.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

They always tank the ending.....

I remember when they announced season 7 was going to cover election night, and all of us rightfully cringed.

And then the season started, with these outlandish characters, and a genuine curiosity over the clowns and all the craziness. Ally slowly becoming a hypocrite, shooting her Hispanic employee due to her own fear, and being berated by her annoying neighbors wearing sombreros over it? So goofy, yet so satisfying. Granted, they revealed nearly everyone was in the cult one-by-one, but it felt like something bigger was at play. For the first time in a long time, the show wasn't full of camp and unsubtle references and a total lack of stakes and likeable characters. It had a real villain with a real goal and real intrigue. It had a story.

And now in the finale, Ally has conveniently become an FBI informant in the loony bin (after conveniently getting rid of all her phobias,) gotten away with the death of Ivy while acting as if she never existed (they even namedropped Lana,) conveniently met and rehabbed Kai's prison guard convert, and gets to smile in his face while he screams at her to get in the kitchen and make him a sandwich.

Sucks. It just sucks. All that cringe from earlier in the year came flooding back.

And the ironic thing is, all the usual sites who gush about the show have hated this season and it's reportedly the lowest rated one ever.

I really wish they had never introduced the random militia guys. I think that was the turning point. That's when Kai went from being a local genius preying on the post-election fears of his devotees, to some alt-right caricature leading a pack of nazis against women. You introduce this idea that Kai himself was bred to resurrect S.C.U.M., then he went rogue with it, getting crazier and more paranoid and less intelligent, until his downfall came because he trusted a woman.

I'll say it again: sucks.

I'll say this again too: it's still the best season since Asylum and the ending doesn't change that. But maybe stop watching once the blueshirts show up.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So was her putting on the hood supposed to be a reference to a previous season or something? Cause it seemed like a strange thing to focus on and be the ending shot.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

discworld is all I read posted:

So was her putting on the hood supposed to be a reference to a previous season or something? Cause it seemed like a strange thing to focus on and be the ending shot.

She was taking over Bebe's position

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

discworld is all I read posted:

It was a S.C.U.M. hood, like the one BeBe wore. She mentioned to Oz she was meeting a group of powerful women. Although for a moment I thought they were going to reference Coven again (hey, they took down that corporation of witch hunters with some goofy rat in a maze ritual, why not do it to Trump too?)

By the way, what was up with Twisty appearing in their house during that first raid, the one that ended with her shooting her employee?

And one of the teasers Murphy posted on instagram had a guy hanging upside down covered in bees. That never happened either.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

We Know Catheters posted:

She was taking over Bebe's position
Ehhhhhhhhh, that is certainly a reference that didn't really have much impact on me. I mean the SCUM/Warhol episode was good but yeah, a hood wasn't really a memorable part of that episode.

I did think like Omega and just assumed it was some Coven reference.

OmegaBR posted:

And one of the teasers Murphy posted on instagram had a guy hanging upside down covered in bees. That never happened either.
I assumed a lot of the bee imagery from the teaser stuff was the whole cult-hivemind mentality thing and also Billy Eichner's character keeping bees, but it wasn't stuff they ever intended to actually show in the series?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That loving owned bones. This season rocked.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Good season, bad ending.

The entertainment industry really cannot get over the fact that Trump won and it is making stuff poo poo.

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 15, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What's bad about 'Ally becomes the new Kai'?

Y'all are whack.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Because the ending was ridiculous. She somehow figured out that Kai was meeting with a random security guard and convinced the security guard to turn against Kai. Kai's whole prison escape bent the laws of reality (I'd be horrified if it was that easy to escape from a federal max prison). Also what was the deal with all his followers in the auditorium after Kai was shot? Were they just going to lay down their arms after their divine ruler was shot in the back of the head? Also why wouldn't there be a massive amount of local police force at a senatorial debate? Both private and public security? And if we're to believe that Kai's whole motivation is because he hates and distrusts women, why would he entrust his entire plan of shooting Ally to a woman security guard?

What else. Oh ya Ally stabbed a police informant to death in his car and no one questioned it. This is while she herself was a police informant after being put in the nut house.

Kai planned some sort of gang beat in from the Nazi gang to let the guy beat him nearly to death only to have another Nazi stop him last minute. That was a good plan, no way that could have turned out horribly.

Ally's campaign manager shot and killed a man on live television, during a senatorial debate, and no one questioned it.

I mean I can keep going. AHS is riddled with absolutely mind boggling plot holes and plot deviations but like I said, I still enjoyed the season. The ending just typically sucked.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Eh, I liked it. It was consistent with the rest of the season, for me. Ally coming out of the nut house completely fine and hella determined always seemed fishy to me, so I figured there was more to it than just her phobias being gone.

The other ridiculous stuff didn't bother me, AHS has done worse. I very much enjoyed the end. Rather than just ending on 'Trump bad, women/liberals triumph' like people seem to be reading it as, it ended on Ally being equally crazy and extreme as Kai, leading into her becoming the leader of her own cult.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OmegaBR posted:

By the way, what was up with Twisty appearing in their house during that first raid, the one that ended with her shooting her employee?

Twisty merch exists, therefore a Twisty costume would be easy to get.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Doltos posted:

She somehow figured out that Kai was meeting with a random security guard and convinced the security guard to turn against Kai.

It's more likely the guard contacted Ally, seeing as Ally was pretty famous for being the one person to stand up against Kai.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kjetting posted:

It's more likely the guard contacted Ally, seeing as Ally was pretty famous for being the one person to stand up against Kai.

I was thinking this, too. Though I could also buy Ally wanting to be a step ahead of Kai and determining which guard(s) he would be most likely to try and win over.

Like her being a step ahead of him in this wasn't a dealbreaker for me. Or her killing the Speedwagon-- once she found out he was only working for state police she was relieved she could off him. The FBI needed her more than the state police needed him, etc. Much easier to cover up than if he were also an FBI informant.

Like yeah it was over the top, it's loving AHS, but it was consistent as hell all year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

esperterra posted:

Eh, I liked it. It was consistent with the rest of the season, for me. Ally coming out of the nut house completely fine and hella determined always seemed fishy to me, so I figured there was more to it than just her phobias being gone.

The other ridiculous stuff didn't bother me, AHS has done worse. I very much enjoyed the end. Rather than just ending on 'Trump bad, women/liberals triumph' like people seem to be reading it as, it ended on Ally being equally crazy and extreme as Kai, leading into her becoming the leader of her own cult.

See I woulda liked it if Ally slowly went insane and Kai slowly became a senator. That would have been way more horrifying than Ally taking Kai's place as a cult leading senator. For all of Ally's ridiculousness, she was probably the strongest horror victim in the show. She was played up as an unstable woman who no one would believe over this charismatic political figure, and that all her phobias would be a thing that she'd have to overcome to beat Kai. Characters like that are super important for horror because you put yourself in their shoes and experience the scariness.

Then she became too overconfident over the last three episodes and won in the end, pretty much ignoring all her character flaws like the phobias and distrust of others. It sort of ruined the character and ruined that horror aspect of American Horror Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Well that's why I'm so annoyed, it was consistent, until they totally tanked this ending like they always do, and filled it with an entire season's worth of plot holes and one-sided smugness. You don't have to read into it, it's there plain as day: Kai literally tells her to make him a sandwich while she smiles and says the only thing worse than a humiliated man is a nasty woman. Then Kai gets shot to death and Ally becomes a senator. It's a pretty huge triumph for one side and doesn't exactly paint Ally as maniacal and evil as Kai, leader of S.C.U.M. or not. Doltos sums it up pretty nicely, and if I hadn't sat through six seasons of these plot holes, and now a season that was mostly devoid of them, I don't think I would be so annoyed.

They could have at least built the finale around Beverly instead of yet another "Paulson character triumphs" ending. She is the one that most showed signs of being like Kai, and then she turns into a complete mess because the militia threw her in an unseen cell for a little while. Sure, she got to shoot him in the end, but big deal. She became a footnote in the end, as did all the other cult members that made this season interesting.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Twisty merch exists, therefore a Twisty costume would be easy to get.

Yeah, but who was it? All the clowns were accounted for eventually, except for him. And I don't think we ever saw him again in the roster of cult clowns?

• Locked thread