Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

well October ended at almost 40% below last years funding

October 2017 funding: $3,251,843 (actual - estimated at $3,275,000 on October 30th)
October 2016 funding: $5,215,403
Difference: -$1,963,560
Percentage: -37.7%

Novembers estimate puts them even below that

November 2017 funding: $3,750,000 (estimated)
November 2016 funding: $7,776,767
Difference: -$4,026,767
Percentage: -51.8%

that would be a huge loving difference and will make everyone poo poo their pants

as I've said before, the only thing I could see saving them is a bug free, stable and content rich 3.0 out the door like right motherfuckin now

3.0 is a paradox for them. If they release is inside of the next 4-5 months, they're completely hosed (even more). If they don't release it, they're royally hosed.

God I hope they release it for Christmas. We'll be set for lols well into Q1/18.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SCtrumpHaters posted:

You pitch a revolutionary game concept and put out help wanted ads for people able to perform and build that product. You look at the applicants and pick the best ones you can to help you build that dream. You trust them with your future and money.

Its one thing to think you can do it and fail. poo poo happens especially in Rnd game dev. But to stay on as long as you can essentially milking the company's and backer's is little more than glorified theft.

I'm not saying Chris is a good guy here I'm not insane but putting this all on him is disingenuous when theres hundreds of people milking this hard pretending to be competant who are way more culpable than him.

I would welcome a round of layoffs to trim the well layered fat.

But you are implying that Chris is a lovely boss who can't do his job because that entails firing people. Also, you're an idiot.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I could definitely seeing Ben kept on the payroll (nominally) with continued health coverage, but no salary, title, responsibilities, authority, or office space. An indefinite sabbatical, if you will.

That would be enough to keep him quiet. Losing health coverage (assuming CIG provides it) would be disastrous for him.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

IcarusUpHigh posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessCredulousQueleaCclamChamp

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7c29h9/turning_on_the_lights_outpost_component_gameplay/

I've lost the will to live.

Put a component in a component. OK.
Now turn all the dynamic lights in the level from false to true. OK.

This is somehow considered impressive, and the hosts and fans boast about it in the video and in the comments.

Game is 6 years into development.

Help.

:laffo:

----------------

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I for one would like to know what kind of QA process they are using where major bugs pop up out of no where as they are burning down to a release. This should all be bug verification and regression and if your regression is causing your bug count to more than double, then something is extremely wrong with one of your processes.

CIG is still adding new features to 3.0.

But it will be in the backer's hands soon don't you worry.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessCredulousQueleaCclamChamp

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7c29h9/turning_on_the_lights_outpost_component_gameplay/

I've lost the will to live.

Put a component in a component. OK.
Now turn all the dynamic lights in the level from false to true. OK.

This is somehow considered impressive, and the hosts and fans boast about it in the video and in the comments.

Game is 6 years into development.

Help.

Dead Space 2 but worse in every way is a pretty good goalpost going into 2018.

Wait. I think DS1 also had that system in place. That's still a pretty good news.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 11, 2017

dr slut
Jan 26, 2003

I for one would like to know what kind of QA process they are using where major bugs pop up out of no where as they are burning down to a release. This should all be bug verification and regression and if your regression is causing your bug count to more than double, then something is extremely wrong with one of your processes.

It's just all the polish they are adding to it. Have you ever polished something so hard that you end up putting a giant gaping hole in it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dusty Lens posted:

Dead Space 2 but worse in every way is a pretty good goalpost going into 2018.

Wait. I think DS1 also had that system in place. That's still a pretty good news.

…also Unreal 1. But hey, pushing the boundaries of what they're capable of to the point where they are now up to 1998 standards is a pretty big step forward for a Chris-game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

D_Smart posted:

If you recall, I reported awhile ago, around the time of his website showing up, that they had shoved him to the background. I don't know what the reason would be to now terminate him completely though. Unless they can no longer justify his paycheck. I mean, they didn't terminate him when it was discovered that he was a toxic, racist, homophobic, antisemitic rear end-clown. So. :colbert:

This is one fucker I would like to see squirm in a deposition.

I can almost guarantee you that their refusal/failure to get rid of him over that stuff was simply because Goons were doing it and they're loving obsessed with trying to stay out of this dumb idiot thread's field of influence even to the point of self-harm. Some of their most spectacular gently caress-ups get put on display here, and always moments after something was spotted here someone rushed off to fix it without fail. Not to mention the poo poo with you posting here, Beer being a prominent community voice in the past and a heretic now, Sandi emailing that one guy cause of a comment he made here in an atrocious attempt at intimidation, PGabz getting tagged in his customer correspondence with the youtube account name he used to absolutely shitbox how bad the PU was with videos that got more views than most of the rest of the user-created content. That poo poo with the donuts.

So when Ben revealed his box of shame they likely went "Goons are asking for it they're clearly trying to destroy us" and ran off screaming into the night, lest they actually do something about it and prove people here to be in the morally correct position on the matter. Cause if this place is right about one thing, then people might ask what else it's right about! The answer of course is rubbing. This thread always right about rubbing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Trilobite posted:

Mike Nelson from MST3K and Rifftrax did a whole podcast series with his Rifftrax pal Conor Lastowka on the festering shitpile that is Ready Player One. I got through all eight episodes on a trip up to see my parents, and got a lot of joy out of hearing them hate the whole experience of reading it.

http://372pages.com/ for anyone looking for a short series all about schadenfreude and bad writing.

I wanna listen to it but I don't.

Fine. Enjoy your blood sacrifice to the concept of rage, I guess.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Chris Roberts said 3.0 would hopefully be released by December 19th, and I trust him to do just that. I still believe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hand got stuck in there, they're still trying to get it out and it's just wobbling and slapping all over the place and everything is going everywhere send help.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I've enjoyed reading all of the backer rationalizing on this point.

The real answer is that a company wasn't doing well enough selling a hypothetical product so they threw something in restricted testing to be able to say that the product totally exists and is totally almost ready and it's totally just a matter of time to make people spend more money on it.

It's the same thing as me selling a theoretical single person hovercraft until people stop giving me money, then having a huge announcement that a prototype is now being tested in my laboratory when I just thew some leaf blowers in a garage and paid someone to spin around in a office chair. The convincing math and figures on lift and aerodynamics I have provided from the laboratory testing prove that your money isn't wasted! Buy now!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Hand got stuck in there, they're still trying to get it out and it's just wobbling and slapping all over the place and everything is going everywhere send help.

Motion blur is in huge milestone

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Make that pixel bloom that way

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Somebody should keep a running chart from the beginning of these burndowns, as the longer chart would make an interesting discussion topic with the Shitizens.

Once that chart gets absurdly long, then soon after ChRisBerto will suddenly announce, "We don't really need to show the remaining bug counts, since many issues will be rectified as each phased release is achieved, which will alleviate any of the earlier bugs. It's more important we focus on getting each phase to our playerbase as efficiently as possible, which makes it simpler to take care of any lingering bugs near the end of those phases."

There, brilliant plan, with ChRisBerto no longer making the bugs-to-fix tracking public, and also, I'm calling it. And smartly calling it, I might add.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 11, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:perfect:

----------------

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

dr slut posted:

I wonder why they didn't bother to include the chart in this weeks burndown? Oh wait, yeah I do, a perfectly flat trendline:

Much like the development since day one.

Star Citizen: A perfectly flat trendline

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LOL!!! six loving years later, and they keep moving the goal post

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

quote:

Finally, as you may have heard during the final presentation at CitizenCon, we are going to switch over to a quarterly release schedule for the PU in order to provide content drops on a more consistent basis. To that end, we will be modifying the Beyond 3.0 Overview section to a new PU Roadmap that will show you exactly where the various features and additions will fall in our quarterly release schedule. If a feature requires more work, then it will transition into the next release. This roadmap will be posted once 3.0.0 goes Live.

I am calling it right now, 3.0 is the MVP. They haven't released a patch since 2.6.3 in April 2017. Now, they're going to a quarterly release? Which means all the bugs and issues are going to be unfixed for a WHOLE QUARTER

#neverforget

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 11, 2017

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure they don't have the scope of 3.0 locked down, so as much as they say they are burning down to a release, they are also adding scope and new bugs each build. Also I highly doubt they have anything near a modern QA department, from what I've seen they have an absolute barebones in house QA team and just use the volunteer Evocati to fill the gaps. God I can't imagine the complete poo poo bugs they get clogging whatever tool they use.

I mean if you're building a game studio from scratch and not immediately embedding good QA people who are capable of creating some automation with your team you're doing it wrong. Cig is doing it wrong for sure.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

If you recall, I reported awhile ago, around the time of his website showing up, that they had shoved him to the background. I don't know what the reason would be to now terminate him completely though. Unless they can no longer justify his paycheck. I mean, they didn't terminate him when it was discovered that he was a toxic, racist, homophobic, antisemitic rear end-clown. So. :colbert:

This is one fucker I would like to see squirm in a deposition.

I recall, I also recall that :lesnick: is the guy that first commented on your refund, let that anger build, don't let him get away with it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile, over there

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/11-9-17-new-burndown-not-looking-good-for-ptu-rele/628921

quote:

I'm too disappointed. they just deleted a post i started an hour ago to say not to expect 3.0 anytime soon.

I'm concierge and you dare to delete my post on this forum. Shame on you. No free speech on this forum.

im not disappointed, im loving disappointed.

----------------

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

D_Smart posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

I am calling it right now, 3.0 is the MVP. They haven't released a patch since 2.6.3 in April 2017. Now, they're going to a quarterly release? Which means all the bugs and issues are going to be unfixed for a WHOLE QUARTER

Don't give up hope, Citizens. SQ42 is not cancelled.

"VII.Although technology is shared between the two games, this does not reflect the Squadron 42 schedule. That will be released at a future date."

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Part 26 of the ELE

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I recall, I also recall that :lesnick: is the guy that first commented on your refund, let that anger build, don't let him get away with it.

Well, he's been having a go at me since Wing Commander days. I have the posts and the blog to prove it. :lol:

----------------

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I'm not saying Chris is a good guy here I'm not insane but putting this all on him is disingenuous when theres hundreds of people milking this hard pretending to be competant who are way more culpable than him.

https://forreststephan.tech/press/

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Well, he's been having a go at me since Wing Commander days. I have the posts and the blog to prove it. :lol:
Unstoppable Force vs. Immovable Object

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
title story?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

The Titanic posted:

I️ don’t care to research him any, but from what people post here, I’ve noticed the same. I️ almost think that he doesn’t actually like Star Citizen because it’s not Wing Commander. It’s like some rip off like Freespace to him. I️ would not be surprised if he hopes Roberts fails because he wants his glory of Wing Commander to be the best thing CR ever did. He can’t have another opus that’s not Wing Commander.

Working on sc probably hasn't been that fun for him, once the money and other employees arrived at least.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Sandi emailing that one guy cause of a comment he made here in an atrocious attempt at intimidation[...]

Wait, what?!? I'd love to hear more on this one as it must have been before I got back into following SC.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Q :saddowns: Is it broke?
A :v: Yup!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

:pgabz:: :argh:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Latin Pheonix posted:

Wait, what?!? I'd love to hear more on this one as it must have been before I got back into following SC.

Hopefully someone still has the screenshot cause this was a fair while ago, back around those heady days before even the persistent universe kicked in. Anyway a guy who wanted to do podcasts and stuff about Star Citizen and other space games cracked a joke in a previous incarnation of this thread (I think about people killing themselves over Star Citizen), and not too long afterwards Sandi emailed him a screencap of his post, and then as an aside demanded to know if he had in fact been complaining that CIG wouldn't give him the time of day for interviews for his show. It was such a ham-handed attempt at trying to scare him it kind of beggared belief but really was the first major highlight for us that people were watching this thread, feeding this information back to at the very least Sandi, and that they thought that they could try to silence dissent with the implied threat of freezing people out. Freezing people out of what I'm not sure since nothing's loving come out.

But if the user's post really did upset CIG then Ben's entire site should have gotten him fired.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Their QA guys are obviously the best in the industry, given how quickly they seem to get promoted to relatively senior-sounding positions.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

3.0 is a paradox for them. If they release is inside of the next 4-5 months, they're completely hosed (even more). If they don't release it, they're royally hosed.

God I hope they release it for Christmas. We'll be set for lols well into Q1/18.

They're in a right royal fuckup now, aren't they

They need to make the move that sells the most ships - which is NOT releasing it.

Chris Roberts has managed to steer his company into a situation were the health of the company is inversely proportional to the software it releases. CIG itself actually is a paradox.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Golli posted:

Their QA guys are obviously the best in the industry, given how quickly they seem to get promoted to relatively senior-sounding positions.

I actually found out that the QAs who are now listed as 'lead' were in fact turned into lead - solid lead, as in Pb, you know, the metal

It explains quite a lot

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

NoMas posted:

title story?

Snipped from some brokebrain's unironic utterings on reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017