Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

shame on an IGA posted:

It looks good but they're one hat away from being mistaken for park rangers.

Sidenote: DO NOT gently caress with the Park Rangers.

People are always surprised when I tell them that Park Rangers, both state and federal (at least in my state) are law enforcement officers. And no, they do NOT gently caress around. Neither does Fish & Wildlife.

Those people are on their own for the most part, so they will absolutely put you on the ground if they think you're gonna be trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Eh, it varies. There are LE Park rangers and non-LE park rangers, both federally and at state level. States vary, obviously. Park Service Rangers and Law Enforcement Rangers are two different animals.

I've known several state park rangers that decline the LEO track, despite higher pay, because they had no desire whatsoever to ticket somebody for harmlessly smoking a joint on the side of a mountain or to run around ticketing people with expired tags as a big gently caress-you welcome to bringing their kids out to experience nature and history.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

windshipper posted:

People are always surprised when I tell them that Park Rangers, both state and federal (at least in my state) are law enforcement officers. And no, they do NOT gently caress around. Neither does Fish & Wildlife.

Those people are on their own for the most part, so they will absolutely put you on the ground if they think you're gonna be trouble.

Fish and Wildlife LEO probably has the most power to do whatever they want than any other law enforcement branch. They can cut locks to get onto property, search freezers etc. They can do a lot of stuff without a warrant in the course of checking to make sure you don't have 20 deer hidden away.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

More like grand muff tarkin

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BecketAdams/status/929070676065030144

Bring me three glasses.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Fish and Wildlife LEO probably has the most power to do whatever they want than any other law enforcement branch. They can cut locks to get onto property, search freezers etc. They can do a lot of stuff without a warrant in the course of checking to make sure you don't have 20 deer hidden away.

I have seriously wondered how more of them aren't killed. They are either confronting somebody who is probably armed out in the middle of nowhere, or performing what most people would think is an illegal search on the homes/property of people who will certainly be armed. And they're probably alone with their support only having a rough idea of their location for all of it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nick Soapdish posted:

Bring me three glasses.

:drat:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Get rid of the bullshit badges and make the CIB/EIB/CAB/whatever the only thing authorized to wear on the left chest pocket.

Edit: keep berets reserved for rangers/SF. Airborne wears the taco boat with their unit crest and wings on it, everyone else gets the cap.

Double edit: big army tells 1st Cav to make their poo poo smaller because what the gently caress

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 11, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

👌

bengy81
May 8, 2010
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-judge-20171110-story,amp.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

Get rid of the bullshit badges and make the CIB/EIB/CAB/whatever the only thing authorized to wear on the left chest pocket.

Or for those who really really want awards, just make a single row of top three the standard.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Arven posted:

I have seriously wondered how more of them aren't killed. They are either confronting somebody who is probably armed out in the middle of nowhere, or performing what most people would think is an illegal search on the homes/property of people who will certainly be armed. And they're probably alone with their support only having a rough idea of their location for all of it.

Going by the refuge I worked at this summer, it's because there's fewer and fewer of them since agencies can't actually hire new people.

Fun fact: There was one LEO for the entirety of Long Island when I got there in March. She left the week I arrived. When I finished my internship in August they still didn't have a replacement :shepface:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Eh, it varies. There are LE Park rangers and non-LE park rangers, both federally and at state level. States vary, obviously. Park Service Rangers and Law Enforcement Rangers are two different animals.

I've known several state park rangers that decline the LEO track, despite higher pay, because they had no desire whatsoever to ticket somebody for harmlessly smoking a joint on the side of a mountain or to run around ticketing people with expired tags as a big gently caress-you welcome to bringing their kids out to experience nature and history.

This is true, but the LE Rangers I’ve met, sure, they’re awesome people to hang with and shoot the poo poo, but I have ZERO doubt that if I hosed with them I would instantly be on the losing end. The non- LE that I’ve seen, personal experience mind you, tend to be a bit more on the hippie side or someone who is just interested in introducing people to nature and curating it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

To be fair I've always written it 1.50$ because it's a unit of currency. You don't write oz 100 or qt 200. Why should it be $1.50?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Going by the refuge I worked at this summer, it's because there's fewer and fewer of them since agencies can't actually hire new people.

Fun fact: There was one LEO for the entirety of Long Island when I got there in March. She left the week I arrived. When I finished my internship in August they still didn't have a replacement :shepface:

I think they’re referring to Fosh and Wildlife.

In which case point still stands. I’ve only ever met an F&W Officer once, but that’s only because I was in a popular crabbing spot. That said, I know in my state it’s super hard to get hired as one, and it’s run as an Old Boy’s (and Girl’s) club. They rreeeeeaaaallllyy wanna make sure you’re the right fit for the job, the people you will work with, and the public you’ll be dealing with.

But yeah, huuuuge latitude as far as what those officers have legal ability to do.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Are Fish and Wild Life just LEOs with special training in enviromental law and wood craft?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

windshipper posted:

I think they’re referring to Fosh and Wildlife.

In which case point still stands. I’ve only ever met an F&W Officer once, but that’s only because I was in a popular crabbing spot. That said, I know in my state it’s super hard to get hired as one, and it’s run as an Old Boy’s (and Girl’s) club. They rreeeeeaaaallllyy wanna make sure you’re the right fit for the job, the people you will work with, and the public you’ll be dealing with.

But yeah, huuuuge latitude as far as what those officers have legal ability to do.

So was I! In our case, the Refuge manager probably would have loved to hire literally anybody (We had a several incidents of vandalism at various refuges), but the hiring freeze made it impossible, and they didn't exactly have the budget for it in any case.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

worst cav triggers me

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

KildarX posted:

Are Fish and Wild Life just LEOs with special training in enviromental law and wood craft?

And knowing the rear end-end of nowhere like the back of their hand. They could track a mountain lion in a blizzard.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I went into the wrong goddamn field.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KildarX posted:

To be fair I've always written it 1.50$ because it's a unit of currency. You don't write oz 100 or qt 200. Why should it be $1.50?

Literally nobody does this.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I thought you meant Kendrick Lamar Duckworth for a moment.

I thought dem 2020 is going to be Gabbard or Harris?

If it’s Gabbard, I’ll suck start my Glock or even worse vote for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein if he/she runs again because gently caress Tulsi Gabbard. She’s a pro-Assad shill fake progressive that’s the darling of what the internet would call the Alt Left.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

BigDave posted:

And knowing the rear end-end of nowhere like the back of their hand. They could track a mountain lion in a blizzard.

And being sneaky as FUUUUUCK. You want to catch poachers? Can’t be a goddamn elephant in the woods.

Edit: other than like, a check point on a road, I’ve never heard anyone say that they saw the F&W Officer before they were spotted by an F&W Officer.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

KildarX posted:

Samesies.

psydude posted:

Literally nobody does this.

Hey gently caress you buddy I do what I want

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

windshipper posted:

And being sneaky as FUUUUUCK. You want to catch poachers? Can’t be a goddamn elephant in the woods.

Edit: other than like, a check point on a road, I’ve never heard anyone say that they saw the F&W Officer before they were spotted by an F&W Officer.

You don't find Fish & Wildlife, they find you. :tinfoil:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

KildarX posted:

Way to out yourself Ivan

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Father son soverign citizen team use an AK rifle and murder two cops on a carstop.

Later cornered in a Wal Mart parking lot, and engage in another shootout, critically wounding two more officers back(white car that does intital stop) Atbout 00:45 the fish and wildlife cops decide to stop loving around (that's the cops in the black pickup).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqbEPkxuW-s

Check out the pickup windshield at the end of the video.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_West_Memphis_police_shootings

Don't gently caress with fish and wildlife.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 11, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

windshipper posted:

This is true, but the LE Rangers I’ve met, sure, they’re awesome people to hang with and shoot the poo poo, but I have ZERO doubt that if I hosed with them I would instantly be on the losing end. The non- LE that I’ve seen, personal experience mind you, tend to be a bit more on the hippie side or someone who is just interested in introducing people to nature and curating it.

To boot, there’s a reason national park service rangers (non-LEO) are fuckin weird half the time. It’s mega competitive due to all the fresh college kids who want it and it comes with poo poo pay and drat near zero benefits at first with semi-frequent transfers until you’re “in.” State rangers/interpreters are often better compensated, based more on skill than ideological devotion, and not shipped around as underpaid weirdos.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Smiling Jack posted:

Father son soverign citizen team use an AK rifle and murder two cops on a carstop.

Later cornered in a Wal Mart parking lot, and engage in another shootout, critically wounding two more officers back(white car that does intital stop) Atbout 00:45 the fish and wildlife cops decide to stop loving around (that's the cops in the black pickup).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqbEPkxuW-s

Check out the pickup windshield at the end of the video.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_West_Memphis_police_shootings

Don't gently caress with fish and wildlife.

If there was ever a valid use for lethal force, that was it. Check out the glass popping after they ram the van.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

CommieGIR posted:

If there was ever a valid use for lethal force, that was it. Check out the glass popping after they ram the van.

They had already murdered two cops and fired off another 200+ rounds in that shootout.

The dog bailed out of the minivan and survived though

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

They had already murdered two cops and fired off another 200+ rounds in that shootout.

The dog bailed out of the minivan and survived though

good dogge

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kawasaki Nun posted:

uh how old is the country? With a few notable exceptions we've consistently had a two party system in an effort to ensure that consensus governing is a thing.

Lol how's that going

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo, yes

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No guys one party barely accepts the existence or non-lilly white people but that's okay because consensus will save us.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No guys one party barely accepts the existence or non-lilly white people but that's okay because consensus will save us.

Seems like this is recognizing a cultural problem reflected in our nation's politics, and not the other way around. A movement away from a two party system wouldn't necessarily improve the status quo with respect to race relations. But yeah by all means call for the dissolution of the only party that by your analysis barely accepts the existence of non-whites. What could possibly go wrong

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Seems like this is recognizing a cultural problem reflected in our nation's politics, and not the other way around. A movement away from a two party system wouldn't necessarily improve the status quo with respect to race relations. But yeah by all means call for the dissolution of the only party that by your analysis barely accepts the existence of non-whites. What could possibly go wrong

Saying "I hope the Republican Party falls apart" is nowhere near the same as calling for the government to somehow dissolve it by fiat you unbelievable dipshit. We've gone through a lot of extended periods where one party was effectively nonfunctional and it's been ok—the Democratic Party after the Civil War, for example. And in case you missed it, the last 11 months haven't exactly been "consensus governing."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

at the date posted:

Saying "I hope the Republican Party falls apart" is nowhere near the same as calling for the government to somehow dissolve it by fiat you unbelievable dipshit. We've gone through a lot of extended periods where one party was effectively nonfunctional and it's been ok—the Democratic Party after the Civil War, for example. And in case you missed it, the last 11 months haven't exactly been "consensus governing."

The Democratic Party was a lot of things at the end of the Civil War, effectively nonfunctional was not one of them.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

I dunno what the gently caress you're talking about. Unless I misread what PCM was saying the democrats are the only party that tolerates non-whites, and out of a two party selection I think they should probably remain intact until the republicans rend themselves apart. Saying that their politics aren't sufficiently progressive enough doesn't strike me as a prudent basis for trying to disrupt their present position as the major viable alternative to the republicans. Let the R's fall apart before trying to reform the democrats.

Thank you for calling me unbelievable though.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 11, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I dunno what the gently caress you're talking about. Unless I misread what PCM was saying the democrats are the only party that tolerates non-whites, and out of a two party selection I think they should probably remain intact until the republicans rend themselves apart.

Oops, well, we're getting our signals crossed then. I took PCM's post to be referring to the GOP w/ "one party barely accepts the existence or non-lily white people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
After hoping not any more actors I like get found out as turn out to be sexual predators, I hastily googled Patrick Stewart for accusations, and instead come up with George Takei being accused

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-accused-sexually-assaulting-model-1981-1056698

:negative:

As a chaser for that shock, may I offer a celebrity being accused of sexual misconduct that will surprise absolutely no one:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/11/11/steven-seagal-accused-telling-actress-to-sit-on-his-face-in-1991.html

Neither the person, nor their choice of fetish are exactly blowing my mind here.

/edit:
phrasing there, that almost felt like the statement from that bishop in the South Park catholic church abuse episode for a second

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 11, 2017

• Locked thread