Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The two bottles of Last Dab I ordered finally came in today, and I tried a small drop. At first I'm like "hmmm, its pretty hot but I like the taste, mustard and some ginger, cool. One minute later its still getting hotter and hotter, its a slow burn.

The heat was incredible and almost debilitating, 10 minutes of pain before it starts to subside, I went through almost a full glass of water on one small drop, and after 25 minutes I'm finally more or less back to normal.

How do you realistically use a sauce this absurdly hot? I liked the taste before it started kicking my rear end, is it just one of those things where if I'm making a huge pot of chili with 2 lb of meat, I just add a couple small drops of this stuff? These two small bottles might be a lifetime supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Eat it more and get slightly more resilient. Repeat. If you keep up your training, you'll be putting a tablespoon on one bowl of curry by the end of the two bottles.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Who ever recommended fire house subs for hot sauce selections I must thank you. I think I found a new fave!

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Anyone try this stuff before? I tried it at a friend's place and it was super good. As the name implies, cilantro is a dominant flavor, with a nice vinegar tang and a fairly mild spice. It went really well with fried eggs. Haven't tried their other stuff, but seriously considering getting a bottle of my own, even though it's kinda pricey.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Missing Name posted:

Anyone try this stuff before? I tried it at a friend's place and it was super good. As the name implies, cilantro is a dominant flavor, with a nice vinegar tang and a fairly mild spice. It went really well with fried eggs. Haven't tried their other stuff, but seriously considering getting a bottle of my own, even though it's kinda pricey.

That sounds incredible, cilantro hot sauce would be my jam.

I just got some more Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 -- really a pretty crazy hot sauce, quite hot, but tempered with apricot and berries. It's one of the few hot sauces that balances quite a bit of heat really well. Cauterizer is the same sauce, just with double the peppers, which is also good but is more machismo with heat and less balanced.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cilantro makes me shudder.

So more for you guys to enjoy then!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

InfrastructureWeek posted:

That sounds incredible, cilantro hot sauce would be my jam.

I just got some more Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 -- really a pretty crazy hot sauce, quite hot, but tempered with apricot and berries. It's one of the few hot sauces that balances quite a bit of heat really well. Cauterizer is the same sauce, just with double the peppers, which is also good but is more machismo with heat and less balanced.

http://www.greenbellyfoods.com/

Try the green belly hot sauce if you want the most amazing hot sauce I have ever had thats cilantro based. It has a nice heat, a great loving flavor. I can't talk about this sauce enough. I buy from the guy when he comes to the farmers market and I buy at least 5 bottles at once. I go through it so quickly.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Herr Tog posted:

Who ever recommended fire house subs for hot sauce selections I must thank you. I think I found a new fave!

You are welcome friend!
What's your new fave?

Has anyone tried Panola's Clear hot sauce? I'm assuming it's just a gimmick but I like trying gimmicky stuff now and then.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rigel posted:

The two bottles of Last Dab I ordered finally came in today, and I tried a small drop. At first I'm like "hmmm, its pretty hot but I like the taste, mustard and some ginger, cool. One minute later its still getting hotter and hotter, its a slow burn.

The heat was incredible and almost debilitating, 10 minutes of pain before it starts to subside, I went through almost a full glass of water on one small drop, and after 25 minutes I'm finally more or less back to normal.

How do you realistically use a sauce this absurdly hot? I liked the taste before it started kicking my rear end, is it just one of those things where if I'm making a huge pot of chili with 2 lb of meat, I just add a couple small drops of this stuff? These two small bottles might be a lifetime supply.

Apply with a toothpick.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

You are welcome friend!
What's your new fave?

Has anyone tried Panola's Clear hot sauce? I'm assuming it's just a gimmick but I like trying gimmicky stuff now and then.

Mary Anne's Habenero rated a 5 by fire house. A bit smokey with actual heat.

HEY THREAD. Spicy bbq sauce or should I take sauce I like and add to it instead?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Herr Tog posted:

HEY THREAD. Spicy bbq sauce or should I take sauce I like and add to it instead?

I made some hot BBQ sauce just by mixing Sweet Baby Ray's and Dirty Dick's and it was amazing, would recommend.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

I made some hot BBQ sauce just by mixing Sweet Baby Ray's and Dirty Dick's and it was amazing, would recommend.

Thank you

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sweet Baby Ray's is top tier BBQ sauce.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, is Secret Aardvark worth 14 dollars shipping :psyduck:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

iospace posted:

Also, is Secret Aardvark worth 14 dollars shipping :psyduck:

It's on prime at amazon I believe.

I want to try it bc this thread seems to be heaping on praises but the picture of the bottle on amazon has a "recipe" for adding hot sauce to beer. :catstare:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Secret aardvark is good, not very hot though, more like a mustard sauce. I wouldn't pay $14 shipping, but I can also just buy it in town so maybe I'm spoiled.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

It's on prime at amazon I believe.

I want to try it bc this thread seems to be heaping on praises but the picture of the bottle on amazon has a "recipe" for adding hot sauce to beer. :catstare:

I like to make most things spicy. But ice cream and beer should not be spicy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

counterpoint: everything should be spicy.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Cold cereal is the one thing I've never found a hot sauce use for. Maybe with a chocolate cereal?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Elmon posted:

I like to make most things spicy. But ice cream and beer should not be spicy.

Actually this is bonkers good. I didn't actually know it had Habeneros in it for a while, just that it was "delicious and spicy" in a way I couldn't put my finger on. Then I read the label a bit more closely.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cayenne chocolate ice cream is quite tasty imo.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I just got a bottle of CaJohns Fatali pepper puree as a gift. It's pretty loving weird and good. The heat has a shockingly fast onset, like the opposite of a ghost pepper. It's got a really wild and fruity flavor too. Definitely going to look for an actual sauce with these Fatali peppers in it at some point.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I found Nando's peri-peri sauce at my local supermarket and I kinda want to try duplicating that style of sauce because it was just that good, and the bottle was way too small. I put it on everything.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Go for Quinta's when it comes to peri-peri sauce---I can't really go back to Nando's as a result.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

InfrastructureWeek posted:

I just got a bottle of CaJohns Fatali pepper puree as a gift. It's pretty loving weird and good. The heat has a shockingly fast onset, like the opposite of a ghost pepper. It's got a really wild and fruity flavor too. Definitely going to look for an actual sauce with these Fatali peppers in it at some point.

Looks like they have a Fatali pepper hot sauce on their site too.

Speaking of CaJohns, I was browsing the local flea market's hot sauce store, and got sold on a bottle of their Bourbon Chipotle Habenero sauce. Got some pretty good flavor, a little sweetness but not BBQ sauce-level sweet, and a respectable heat level. It's fantastic on burgers and I imagine it would rock some wings or pork

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you like fatalis, be sure to try their American cultivar, Datils. Fruity and delightful little heat bombs.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I found Nando's peri-peri sauce at my local supermarket and I kinda want to try duplicating that style of sauce because it was just that good, and the bottle was way too small. I put it on everything.

This recipe worked well for me, although i used fresh Thai chilis because i can't find birds eye chilis locally

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My new favorite thing is adding a drop or two of Mad Dog 357 to a quart of hot and sour soup. Makes it nice and spicy, but not overpowering.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

large hands posted:

This recipe worked well for me, although i used fresh Thai chilis because i can't find birds eye chilis locally

I think they're comparable enough in heat levels and flavor that either works well depending on what you have access to. I haven't been able to find the African ones either. Not even seeds.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think they're comparable enough in heat levels and flavor that either works well depending on what you have access to. I haven't been able to find the African ones either. Not even seeds.

I've been able to find dried ones, but not fresh ones.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Did a Hot Ones inspired hot sauce tasting with some friends tonight.

Interestingly, we all had differing opinions about which one was the hottest/worst. We had Blair's Mega Death, which several people thought was the hottest, but I thought that Pain 100% had a worse, longer-lasting burn. Pain 100% may actually be the worst thing I've ever eaten, because it tastes awful in addition to being ridiculously hot.

The green El Yucateco was my favorite. I'll definitely be getting some more of their stuff once I feel like eating hot sauce again.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Fermented Louisiana Hot Sauce. Fermented Pepper Mash. Crushed Peppers. (Fermented).

This is from my garden hot peppers which were jalapenos, cayenne, and habanero. And then also some store bought peppers to get the bulk for the recipes because I'm not growing a frigging farm here. Orange color is because the habs produce the most, because they always do, lol. Peppers fermented for a month and a half.

The fermentation does seem to do something to the heat. Makes it more subtle and savory which lends itself favorably to the pickled flavor you get from the fermentation.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

The green El Yucateco was my favorite. I'll definitely be getting some more of their stuff once I feel like eating hot sauce again.

For me, its the black label habanero El Yucateco. Pretty much hits the mark on anything.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pioneer42 posted:

For me, its the black label habanero El Yucateco. Pretty much hits the mark on anything.

How hot is it?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
too hot for me goddamn that sauce kicks my rear end

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

iospace posted:

How hot is it?

About as hot as their xxx mayan habenero sauce and a lot more smokey flavored.

I think the green and red are the exact same thing just with different food colorings.

It's probably the hottest one they offer. One of my go to favorites.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

About as hot as their xxx mayan habenero sauce and a lot more smokey flavored.

I think the green and red are the exact same thing just with different food colorings.

It's probably the hottest one they offer. One of my go to favorites.

I use their green or Melinda's XXtra depending on how much acid what I'm eating needs. Melinda's has a lot more citrus to it.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

So I just bottled mine. And it seems like the vineger has seperated from the hot sauce gunk. I put it through a paint strainer before bottling. And the hot sauce was really watery already. So this was rather surprising. This is my first time trying to make hot sauce.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

El Yucateco is a classic.

It's not that hot, but does anyone else like classic Cholula on eggs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bertrand Hustle posted:

El Yucateco is a classic.

It's not that hot, but does anyone else like classic Cholula on eggs?

Hell yeah. Cholula, Tapatio, Texas Pete, all the mild vinegar sauces are great on eggs.