Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CommieGIR posted:

[Breathtakingly out of context snippets from a court case]

Holy balls, that's amazingly misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I would like to point out that South Park had a neat episode recently with an allegory, that if you hammer home that people are acting stupid, they're very willing to double down on their idiocy. In a sane and rational society you'd try to beat into peoples brains, what that guy did is beyond reprehensible and you're an rear end for voting for him, in the society we live in your best bet is probably to add just enough tinder on to the fire for the GOP to have to explain themselves repeatedly about why supporting a kid diddler is a good thing and let people make up their own mind about the issue and hope that will lead to voter apathy.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

KildarX posted:

I would like to point out that South Park had a neat episode recently with an allegory, that if you hammer home that people are acting stupid, they're very willing to double down on their idiocy. In a sane and rational society you'd try to beat into peoples brains, what that guy did is beyond reprehensible and you're an rear end for voting for him, in the society we live in your best bet is probably to add just enough tinder on to the fire for the GOP to have to explain themselves repeatedly about why supporting a kid diddler is a good thing and let people make up their own mind about the issue and hope that will lead to voter apathy.

Also, Beyond KFC looks delicious.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I prefer to think they're going with the "don't interrupt your enemy while he's in the middle of making a mistake" strategy. If the DNC doesn't reallocate resources to take advantage of this turn of events then they truly are worthless trash.

I’m inclined to believe their media agency advised against it for reasons. You don’t always have to fire back directly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ceiling fan posted:

Happy free food from a limited menu after waiting in line for an hour day!
I dunno we got seated at Famous Dave's immediately. Back when it was just huge boring chains that had the deals, that was indeed not worth it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SAME SAME I CAME posted:

Also, Beyond KFC looks delicious.

I dunno, Beyond Arby's makes me feel sick.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I've never done the veterans day eating thing, just seems annoying and totally not worth it for a Free* Blooming Onion

*With purchase of entree

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Plus, the whole having to be around other veterans thing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KildarX posted:

It's called the Backfire Effect and it's a cognitive preference literally everyone has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8NydsXl32s

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My free unlimited Wawa coffee today is good

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the effectgs of advertising is weird. If the democrat has an ad saying "vote for me, I'm not a pedo!" some people will start to think he might be a pedo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmDcCpD1gc

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmDcCpD1gc

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLaQnrJSp9g

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/PatriotHole/status/929408492376612865

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yiiiiiiiiiikes.

https://twitter.com/MarquardtA/status/929429954621771778

Don't gently caress with people on your way up. You can't control if and when they get their revenge.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
CIA Director has to push back yet again. This should not be taken to mean Pompeo does not talk up Trump’s accolades a lot.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/929410913354076160

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean who ya gonna believe, the leader of Russia or the CIA on what Russia may or may not be doing?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Even a Novice Hacker Could Breach the Network Hosting Kris Kobach's Bogus Voter Fraud Program

quote:

A program overseen by the head of President Trump’s so-called “election integrity” commission—which is now largely a tool for driving conspiracy theories about “massive voter fraud” in the United States—is placing the personal data of millions of American voters at risk, according to internal records and security experts who examined the program at Gizmodo’s request.

The stated purpose of the program, known as the Interstate Crosscheck System, is to identify potential duplicate registrations among states and provide evidence of possible double voting. It does not work.

According to records recently released by states participating in the program, Crosscheck has collected nearly 100 million voter records in 2017 alone. Though its methods have been roundly debunked by academics and election experts, 28 states took part in the Crosscheck program this year.

It would be difficult to overstate the carelessness with which Crosscheck handles the personal data of US voters. At the heart of the program, which has been administered since 2011 by Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, there does exist the illusion of security. But it is a lie, a myth, a mirage. It is the creeping thought of a warm blanket entering the mind of stranded mountain climber, shortly before he freezes to death, buried in ten feet of snow.

To suggest that state officials involved with the program have been grossly negligent is simply too kind.
Gizmodo has learned, however, that the records passing through the Crosscheck system have been stored on a server in Arkansas operating on a network rife with security flaws. What’s more, multiple sets of login credentials, which could be used by virtually anyone to directly access the Crosscheck system—as well the encrypted voter data it contains—have been compromised.

Our investigation into the program builds on the work of ProPublica, which last month published a report describing multiple security flaws plaguing Crosscheck’s operations. Documents obtained under state transparency laws by the anti-Trump group Indivisible Chicago revealed that Crosscheck had emailed Illinois election officials both the username and password to the program’s FTP server—credentials that Illinois neglected to redact before releasing the emails publicly.

The emails further revealed that participating states had submitted millions of voter files to the Arkansas server using an unencrypted file transfer protocol. Gizmodo has learned that while some of the data sets were encrypted prior to being transferred, the passwords to decrypt three year’s worth of voter files, belonging to every state participating in Crosscheck, have likewise been exposed.

In particular, the researchers found that a majority of the network’s SSL certificates are either self-signed or not trusted, leaving it vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks by hackers within proximity to the network. (SSL certifications are necessary to encrypt your data as it travels between a website and your browser.) Such an attack would in theory require only rudimentary hacking skills and could be used to compromise usernames and passwords, potentially granting access to confidential systems and files.

Both Netragard’s researchers and those at the cybersecurity firm Kromtech discovered “one or more” instances of remote desktop protocols operating on the network—services which used neither valid SSL certificates nor Dual Factor Authentication. “As a result, a spear phishing attack would likely enable an attacker to steal credentials and breach the network, or at the very least access restricted resources,” Desautels said.
Passwords to encrypted voter data files submitted to Crosscheck are routinely transmitted by email. And numerous passwords have been released publicly—presumably by mistake—by several states in response to freedom of information requests.
:yikes:

I could basically just post + bold the entire article, because holy poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Feature not bug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Christian author John Perry who co-authored books with Roy Moore and Mike Huckabee has been accused of Child Molestation in two legal cases:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/co-author-of-mike-huckabee-books-was-accused-of-child-molest?utm_term=.cbMOvOa9De#.vrNNxNYmOe

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

:magical:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oh noes, all this data on people whose security is not our concern is extremely insecure and if it got out voter suppression and foreign interference efforts would be that much more capable. Woe is us there is nothing to be done. Any ill effects would be terrible but a small price to pay for national security in the face of so many millions of fraudulent votes.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/929503641014112256
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/929509950811881472
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/929511061954297857

:thunk:

Edit: Also good to see that his bone spurs didn't keep him from going to Vietnam this time around.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 12, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Misspelled reset button?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Holy poo poo that third tweet.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

cowboy elvis posted:

Misspelled reset button?

It was during the first few months of Obama's term, a whole lot of nothing, they misspelled or used the wrong word in Russian for Reset.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That's some fine international diplomacy there by a first rate diplomat :rolleyes:

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
That third tweet is amazing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Thanks thread, I'm gonna move to America and train to become insane forest batman :black101:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So someone else finally has control of his Twitter?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arven posted:

What do you think?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BadOptics posted:

Edit: Also good to see that his bone spurs didn't keep him from going to Vietnam this time around.

:drat:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Arven posted:

Yes and no. Yes, there's no way that's Trump, but suspiciously coherent tweets have popped up before only for him to be at the wheel at 3 AM.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Arven posted:

You used to be able to simply by those tagged with iphone/android, but now it's kind of easy to figure out based on content/format. Here are the general tells:

Scavino Jr. tweets: embedded video, recaps of events, links to statements made earlier

Trump tweets: misspellings, grammar mistakes, retweets of randos, insults, odd capitalization, anything about Fox News

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

cowboy elvis posted:

Misspelled reset button?

It was a malapropism, not a misspelling :eng101:

peregruzka = too much stress
perezagruska = new start

Come to think of it, is it possible to misspell something in a transliteration? See : Qhuadafi

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 12, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Come to think of it, is it possible to misspell something in a transliteration? See : Qhuadafi

In the case of Arabic (and probably other non-latin languages I suppose) there's no "real" way to spell words in English, it's a phonetic thing. Which makes it a monumental pain in the rear end when you're trying to learn Arabic.

Probably the best example that I can think of that's relevant to this audience is Osama Bin Laden vs. Usama Bin Laden or Ghaddafi/Quadaffi/etc. They're all technically correct!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

is that why theres like 5 different ways to spell bahq’ubah

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yes, it's literally just phonetic spelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Plus Arabic has a few sounds that English doesn’t have, so that’s why you’ll see ‘ representing both a glottal stop and an ع and other assorted headaches.

• Locked thread