Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Then if nobody wants it, top it off and top the magazine off and I'll carry it. I think I'm good for it, right? Drop the box of 2 shells if not.

You have a free vertical 2-slot space, so you can sling the shotgun and carry the Mini Uzi in your hands and the spare mag in the last remaining pocket space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

chitoryu12 posted:

You have a free vertical 2-slot space, so you can sling the shotgun and carry the Mini Uzi in your hands and the spare mag in the last remaining pocket space.

Anybody else want the mini-Uzi? If not, I'll do just this.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Davin Valkri posted:

Anybody else want the mini-Uzi? If not, I'll do just this.

Do it. We could use a second SMG.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah sounds good. I'll pick up enough 12ga buckshot to replace what I've fired and we can sell everything else as far as I'm concerned.

Also, are we gonna have to worry about the cops coming by to investigate the shootout in the middle of the nice touristy city?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 12, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah sounds good. I'll pick up enough 12ga buckshot to replace what I've fired and we can sell everything else as far as I'm concerned.

Also, are we gonna have to worry about the cops coming by to investigate the shootout in the middle of the nice touristy city?

The cops are actually kinda laissez-faire about gunfights in their city. They won't even intervene unless one of them gets shot!

If you do shoot a cop by accident, I'll probably reload because it'll aggro the entire Algeiran government faction and entering basically any city means depopulating it of police before you can do anything else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, here's what we've got:

* Verchic is taking the medical supplies and Browning Hi-Power (xthetenth, do you want to give her the bandage you're carrying?). You'll need to swap out the Makarov to either sell or locker it, and removing the 9x18mm ammo box and magazines from your inventory to fit the bandage will free up more space.

* Dessert is slinging her shotgun and taking the Mini Uzi.

* Earp is taking just enough buckshot to replace what he's fired.

Everything else will be sold. Any objections?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I'll pass the bandage over, especially if it lets me pocket my backup pistol and carry my smg.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Quinntan, do you want to sell the Makarov and its ammo or keep it in the locker?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm glad the grenade didn't hit anybody, but of course that raises the question of what kind of damage grenades are going to pull. It's always kind of a challenge to work that out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glazius posted:

I'm glad the grenade didn't hit anybody, but of course that raises the question of what kind of damage grenades are going to pull. It's always kind of a challenge to work that out.

Grenades have both blast damage and individual fragments that fly out. Frag grenades like the one that got thrown here have a pretty small blast radius, and their damage is (just like in real life) dependent on individual fragments. They're most effective in an enclosed space or close to their target and are least effective at a distance or against a prone target. Because individual fragments are modeled, it's perfectly possible for someone within the blast radius to take little or no damage if they're lucky. It's also possible for someone theoretically out of the fatality radius to get hit.

Concussion grenades rely entirely on the large blast, which can deal damage through walls and cover.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Is there any real point in having two pistols knocking about? I think I’ll sell the Makarov, mags and ammo.

Actually, nah. Stow the lot in the locker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

After much awkward passing around of items, the inventory sorting is done.

Time for the next decision on what to do.

1. Mister Sister might have another job for you. He seems to be permanently getting into trouble.

2. You can make one last run around the Puerto Viejo black market dealers. Their inventory remains unchanged from the first time.

3. You can head out to a new city looking for work.

4. You can visit the government center in Artrigo to get a start on your hunt for Bashirov.

5. You can try to find where Paquito may be. Again, he's probably sloshed in a bar somewhere.

Total Cash: $40,532
Individual Allowance: $8,106

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
The first thing I say we should do is patch me up! After that...mmm...Is the "Mister Sister" thing a repeat of the combat encounter or what? I think we should go to another city to buy more LBE, but if the reward for that is also more LBE, who knows?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

The first thing I say we should do is patch me up! After that...mmm...Is the "Mister Sister" thing a repeat of the combat encounter or what? I think we should go to another city to buy more LBE, but if the reward for that is also more LBE, who knows?

It's not a repeat. As far as I know, none of the missions are repeats except for some random "Take this and deliver it to this NPC within the time limit" quests.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not a repeat. As far as I know, none of the missions are repeats except for some random "Take this and deliver it to this NPC within the time limit" quests.

That's a shame. It would be pretty great if it was both repeatable and escalating.

:bigtran:"There are some very bad people meaning me harm. Would you be so kind and help a damsel in distress?"

*Tank column rolls down the street.*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, here's the weapon cards for our new pickups. I did some testing and the Mini Uzi will fit in a holster with the stock folded!

Size: 3x3 (2x2 with stock folded)

The IMI Mini Uzi is the mid-sized Uzi, coming between the full size Uzi and the tiny Micro Uzi. Correspondingly, it's in the middle in terms of range, accuracy, and fire rate.

The original Uzi entered Israeli service in 1954 and was used during the Six-Day War and Yom Kippur War because Israel just couldn't stop getting invaded. It spread around the world and led to the smaller variants, with the Mini Uzi appearing in 1980 and thus launching into notoriety as a "bad guy gun" in many 80s action films. Countries that use the Mini Uzi include Haiti, Brazil, and Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoY1GbcWOSQ

Size: 2x2

The last design by John Browning, which he actually left unfinished; he died and it was finished by his protégé, Dieudonné Saive. The French Army that commissioned the pistol actually rejected it in favor of an inferior design when it was completed in 1935, but the gun rapidly spread everywhere to become one of the most common military service pistols on the planet.

The Browning Hi-Power, also called the GP (Grand Puissance) or M1935, is arguably the first “Wonder Nine”. Before such guns started becoming a thing in the 1980s, John Browning developed a high capacity 9mm combat handgun. It’s still single-action (you can’t fire it with the hammer uncocked) and has an annoying magazine safety that gives it a heavier trigger pull, but there’s good reason it’s still around.

This is the basic model, essentially unchanged from WW2. It can still compete with modern pistols, but you may want something with a few more rails or a plastic frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf8W2NGU4P4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Any votes on the next action to take?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Patch me up, then let's go find Paquito.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The group brings Dessert into the hospital. The bleeding's stopped, but she still seems a little weak.

Before he's even willing to ask questions, however, Dr. Kardoso asks to see something else: the pocketbook.

Even the sight of 40,000 eldos isn't enough to change his mind. "That will not be enough to afford treatment. I'm sorry, but I can't help you right now.

Unfortunately we haven't got the cash to treat Dessert right now, so we can't even select a merc for treatment. Doctors in Algeira are incredibly expensive, and with only a pair of field dressings we can't exactly bring her back into tip-top shape. The good news is that she's not crippled, and she'll slowly heal over time, but there's nothing that can be done right now.

If we agree to go find Paquito, where should we start our search?

1. Sagrada
2. Artrigo
3. Campecino
4. Santa Maria

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Unless one is much closer, Artrigo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Unless one is much closer, Artrigo

Puerto Viejo is far from everything. Here's a map of the sector we can access:

The Army Base is the mission for Cyrus Lond, which is a very dangerous one that would inevitably kill our entire squad if we attempted it now. To give a sense of distance, it would take roughly 18 to 20 hours in-game to walk from Puerto Viejo to Santa Maria or Artrigo. Current time is 9:36 AM.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe we should start with Sagrada. If he's not there we can hit up the shops!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Maybe we should start with Sagrada. If he's not there we can hit up the shops!

I like Sagrada. It's en route to just about everything.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah, Sagrada seems like the best choice for our first stop

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Voted 3/4 to visit Sagrada

As the mercenaries trudge and hitchhike their way up the road to Sagrada, they flip on their AM/FM radio to hear what the good word is.

Algeira Radio posted:

Ciudad de Oro miners have reported yet another great achievement in delivering gold to our state budget. According to the latest data, their output this year finally exceeded 1985 levels. 1985 was the last year in which Algeira's economy was still growing, before the last government's destructive economic reforms and General Sosa's revival efforts. The miners have taken the General's call to heart and are working hard to increase Algeira's GDP to pre-war levels. Algeira's Minister for Agriculture also promises to report new highs in his industry later this month. General Sosa personally visited Ciudad de Oro to thank the miners for their efforts to restore the economy.

Voice of Freedom posted:

The regime of thieves continues to weaken our national economy by plundering the country's wealth at the request of their foreign masters. The dictator's enforcers make everyone work overtime with threats and brute force. Miners in Ciudad de Oro were hit especially hard, forced to work 12-hour days with no days off and no holidays. We all remember the infamous push last February to double the output in time for the dictator's birthday! That time, the push caused nearly two hundred miners to perish. As if that wasn't enough, the fiends in Sosa's government now force the miners to work 14-hour days and they may not stop there! Brothers and sisters! Remember! When you hear about the GDP, when you hear about the economic successes, all of that is achieved by your blood, sweat, and tears. All of your efforts lead to nothing except more money in Sosa's offshore accounts!

Doesn't look like there's going to be much luck in getting a straight, unbiased story out of anyone on the radio. At least there's music to tune into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6nMjX9pNU

Finally, after about 10 hours, everyone is in Sagrada just in time for the sunset.

Everyone splits up, seeking out black market vendors and new job opportunities.

Looks like your exploits in Palinero haven't quite traveled far north enough. Everyone snubs your efforts to get something out of them.

There are currently no quests available in Sagrada. As your reputation increases by completing quests and making kills, new job opportunities will open up. Right now they don't know you from Adam, so they won't trust you with their jobs.

The main black market dealer for the country's capital, amazingly, has parked his van right in front of the bank and is sharing space with the mayor!

Down at the police station, Verchic finds that one of the officers is making a little extra on the side....

Marcelo Carmona

Weapons
* x1 Makarov PM (9x18mm): $492
* x2 Beretta 92FS (9x19mm): $615
* x1 Tokarev TT-33 (7.62x25mm): $641
* x2 Micro Uzi (9x19mm): $879
* x1 Sawed-Off Shotgun (12 Gauge): $324

Ammo
* x7 50-round boxes of .38 Special FMJ: $76
* x3 50-round boxes of .45 ACP FMJ: $68
* x5 50-round boxes of 9x18mm 57-N-181S: $66
* x6 50-round boxes of 9x18mm surplus: $66
* x3 50-round boxes of 9x19mm FMJ: $97
* x2 50-round boxes of 9x19mm surplus: $72
* x1 20-round boxes of 7.62x25mm: $99
* x5 7-round M1911 magazines (.45 ACP): $55
* x3 15-round Beretta 92 magazines (9x19mm): $53

Explosives
* x1 M84 stun grenade: $430
* x1 M67 grenade: $217

Melee Weapons
* x2 Throwing Knives: $48

Miscellaneous
* x1 roll of duct tape: $9

Pepe the Police Officer

Weapons
* x1 Makarov PM (9x18mm): $453
* x1 MAT-49 (9x19mm): $881
* x1 Sawed-Off Shotgun (12 Gauge): $347

Ammo
* x5 50-round boxes of .38 Special FMJ: $77
* x9 50-round boxes of .45 ACP FMJ: $76
* x6 50-round boxes of 9x18mm 57-N-181S: $65
* x9 50-round boxes of 9x18mm surplus: $66
* x3 50-round boxes of 9x19mm FMJ: $95
* x7 50-round boxes of 9x19mm surplus: $73
* x5 10-round boxes of 12 Gauge buckshot: $58
* x8 8-round Makarov magazines (9x18mm): $54
* x5 32-round MAT-49 magazines (9x19mm): $56

Explosives
* x1 M84 stun grenade: $463
* x2 M67 grenade: $205

Miscellaneous
* x1 Horizontal cleaning kit: $342

Total Cash: $40,532
Individual Allowance: $8,106

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Does someone want my Glock and its magazine?

Get a MAT magazine. If I have to sell surplus ammo to do it, sell a part stack. I'd prefer to get my pistol to someone it'd be an upgrade for though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Does someone want my Glock and its magazine?

Get a MAT magazine. If I have to sell surplus ammo to do it, sell a part stack. I'd prefer to get my pistol to someone it'd be an upgrade for though.

That one box only has 4 rounds in it, so I think you'll get like $1 for selling it to fit the magazine.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

That one box only has 4 rounds in it, so I think you'll get like $1 for selling it to fit the magazine.

Getting it out of my pockets is the goal, but can I actually stow it somewhere?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I only have 16 rounds in my other magazine--give it to me and I'll top it off.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

I only have 16 rounds in my other magazine--give it to me and I'll top it off.

Do this. Parabellum for all, top everyone off, and fill any freed up room with MAT magazines.

Also if anyone wants to carry ammo so that I can fit more magazines, I will remember that when it comes time to lay down more firepower.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Do this. Parabellum for all, top everyone off, and fill any freed up room with MAT magazines.

Also if anyone wants to carry ammo so that I can fit more magazines, I will remember that when it comes time to lay down more firepower.

Right now, it looks like you can give away a total of 13 rounds to top everyone off who's using 9mm. This would get rid of the 4-round box, giving you space for a single spare MAT-49 magazine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just realized, I can have Cameron be a temporary ammo mule until you get LBE. He's able to carry an extra 5 boxes of ammo, which will free up enough space for Linchpin to carry 2 spare magazines (without sacrificing his grenade or pistol ammo).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I just realized, I can have Cameron be a temporary ammo mule until you get LBE. He's able to carry an extra 5 boxes of ammo, which will free up enough space for Linchpin to carry 2 spare magazines (without sacrificing his grenade or pistol ammo).

Yes please! (Unless someone really needs the space for something)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Linchpin hands out some extra ammo to his buddies, then passes the boxes to Cameron to shove in his BDU pockets.

Unless someone else wants to buy something, which city will we move onto next?

Total Cash: $40,420
Individual Allowance: $8,084

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Hmm...if I were Paquito I'd probably want the first boat out. Santa-Maria sound good to anyone else?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, sounds good.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Works for me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Voted 3/4 to go to Santa-Maria and find Paquito

The next morning, the mercs have arrived in Santa-Maria. The guidebook says it's still recovering from a hurricane and civil unrest, but it can't be that bad if Puerto Viejo and Sagrada are still standi--

Oh.

At least the bar is still standing! As is another black market dealer, who parked his GAZ right in front of the bar to catch everyone coming into the city.

Cameron shrugs. The package is light, and $2000 is a nice bit of cash for something they have nearly a month to complete.

This is one of the random quests I mentioned. They're generally simple deliveries where you have a certain amount of time to drop the package off. They often have incredibly generous time limits like this, so it's basically free money for a minor detour at worst.

Also, I checked the inventory. He's got nothing we haven't seen before and no LBE, so I won't post the current shop inventory unless you really want to look at more Berettas and hand grenades.

Heading into the bar, everyone spots someone who's barely propped up in the corner, wearing a tactical vest and sunglasses.

Aw, goddammit. This is our translator?

This is almost as mortifying as what went on in Puerto Viejo. But it looks like this is the guy we're looking for, and he's so distraught that he ain't handing over those car keys until he's helped. May as well get this over with.

We have one important decision to make with the following quest:

1. We're going to get this over with as fast and painlessly as possible, get our car, and get on the road.

2. We're going to say "gently caress that" and get into a bar fight. Submachine guns may be involved.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Why do I suspect that this "baby" is not a baby?

We don't even have armor yet, so we probably shouldn't start fights without recon. Also I'm still injured. Let's do this quietly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

BAR FIGHT BAR FIGHT BAR FIGHT

Earp likes to shoot people, sorry :shrug:

• Locked thread