Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Liberals, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What's he bitching about now that Trump's president?

I have no idea who you are talking about but I can make an educated guess at: "Political Correct SJW librull satanic communist muslim foreigners"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have a question about headless titty Sonic.

Why?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Push El Burrito posted:

Why?

Bye for awhile thread.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

I have many regrets

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What's he bitching about now that Trump's president?

It's basically "InfoWars and Daily Caller: The Comic".

Also, looking at it, Zed's apparently aged about 40 years since 2010.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Push El Burrito posted:

Why?

Does this require me clicking something?

Because no.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Besesoth posted:

It's basically "InfoWars and Daily Caller: The Comic".

Also, looking at it, Zed's apparently aged about 40 years since 2010.

this seems par for the course for the intensely lovely types so im glad of it

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Push El Burrito posted:

Why?

They saw that cute dullahan in anime, or possibly the sexy dullahan in the other anime, or the other dullahan in the other anime and thought

"Hmm... But how to combine this with my all-consuming obsession with a video game?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

le story of a frenchman in a spanish restaurant; he tries to order various meals but is soon reduced to "I'm hungry" – "thirsty" etc:

warning it gets wordy & also somewhat indecent

https://i.imgur.com/Vvd9MJb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W2WEaum.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TLozj6Q.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bBP60LE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uQ3Ijlz.jpg

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im digging peter parkers 70s man-about-town look

idgaf about aunt may buying bitcoins or helping nigerian princes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh god please let there be an Aunt May Bitcoin storyline in newspaper Spider-Man

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

:biotruths:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I am the terrible JPEG compression artifacting.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I always wondered how this particular one started. Is it really just a 100+ year-old holdover from dudes who were pissed ladies wanted to drive, smoke and vote?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Is this loss?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

No, just a cad.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im a fan of the mom beating the poo poo out of her dad joke family

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Das Boo posted:

I always wondered how this particular one started. Is it really just a 100+ year-old holdover from dudes who were pissed ladies wanted to drive, smoke and vote?

There was also a pretty hard "Father knows best" course correction in the 50s after the "Yes We Can!" movement of the 40s, particularly in 1950s pop culture such as sitcoms and movies and newspaper comic strips that are still considered to be iconic today. The 1950s 'dutiful housewife' imagery sunk pretty deep into America's subconscious and part of that was the whole "She tries to be independent but her place is really in the kitchen" trope.

Edit: but that lead to some hilarious-in-hindsight comic strips, especially in advertising:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/67885/selling-shame-40-outrageous-vintage-ads-any-woman-would-find-offensive
https://www.facebook.com/Do-I-Offend-234936066583565/

Oh those dizzy dames weren't aware of how stinky they were, they needed a man to set them straight!

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Nov 12, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

andy capp used to beat his wife

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Beau Peep had a somewhat racist nomad character as well - the best I can say is that most jokes were irrelevant to his race, like when he tries to buy a camel costume to sneak into the fort and a mix up causes him to recieve a kangaroo outfit instead, or the really cute moment where after being conned into buying a golf club thinking it's a sword (his whole subplot is that he's such a loser his tribe have kicked him out until he could come back with the head of an enemy warrior) he comes across Beau and his Idiot friend Dennis buried up to their necks in sand, so his club has become the perfect weapon, a coincidence that he finds hilarious.

Overall I liked that strip, the Nomad was always somewhat mixed quality though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh those dizzy dames weren't aware of how stinky they were, they needed a man to set them straight!

Americans, as a whole, didn't know they smelled until advertisers convinced them of it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was also a pretty hard "Father knows best" course correction in the 50s after the "Yes We Can!" movement of the 40s, particularly in 1950s pop culture such as sitcoms and movies and newspaper comic strips that are still considered to be iconic today. The 1950s 'dutiful housewife' imagery sunk pretty deep into America's subconscious and part of that was the whole "She tries to be independent but her place is really in the kitchen" trope.

Edit: but that lead to some hilarious-in-hindsight comic strips, especially in advertising:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/67885/selling-shame-40-outrageous-vintage-ads-any-woman-would-find-offensive
https://www.facebook.com/Do-I-Offend-234936066583565/

50's, shoulda known. Everyone up on Jessie with the rank rear end.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
But enough of that, let's get back to posting comics! HOORAY COMICS!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I love this so much.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

But he’d have fit the guy on the upper right just fine.

People deny who they are and disfigure their bodies and identities to try to fit in, when they’d be perfectly at home if they were willing to accept a little risk and the people around them were willing to accept a little paradigm change. A Good Comic.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Besesoth posted:

But he’d have fit the guy on the upper right just fine.

People deny who they are and disfigure their bodies and identities to try to fit in, when they’d be perfectly at home if they were willing to accept a little risk and the people around them were willing to accept a little paradigm change. A Good Comic.

He'd break the edge up with his head though, plus he'd create an edge where there's clearly not meant to be one.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Slime posted:

He'd break the edge up with his head though, plus he'd create an edge where there's clearly not meant to be one.

Besesoth posted:

and the people around them were willing to accept a little paradigm change

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Powaqoatse posted:

He still does, but he used to, too.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Powaqoatse posted:

I haven’t read a paper that carries Andy Capp in a long time, but as I recall she was usually waiting to ambush him with a rolling pin or some such and tended to gently caress him up pretty well when they fought. Wasn’t the joke more that he was a totally worthless drunk and she was always justifiably pissed off about it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Loucks posted:

I haven’t read a paper that carries Andy Capp in a long time, but as I recall she was usually waiting to ambush him with a rolling pin or some such and tended to gently caress him up pretty well when they fought. Wasn’t the joke more that he was a totally worthless drunk and she was always justifiably pissed off about it?

Nope, he beat his wife and a lot of the strips had his wife all beat up and bruised as the punchline

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Oh. Huh. I guess that doesn’t shake my worldview much. Just a bad comic for different (worse) reasons.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Calaveron posted:

Nope, he beat his wife and a lot of the strips had his wife all beat up and bruised as the punchline

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I love that squirrel. :allears:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the little moment where Calvin's mum starts talking to Hobbes for a bit :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powaqoatse posted:

To be fair, she used to beat him as well. And they both got into brawls with other people.

Milo and POTUS posted:

He still does, but he used to, too.
I don't think he does any more, actually. The characters are toned way down in the modern version.

Loucks posted:

They were both terrible. He was a violent, womanising drunk. She was a violent, spiteful gambler. He was worse than her in basically every way, but it wasn't all one-sided. These days they're not so violent any more, Andy's more lazy than alcoholic and his attempts at picking up other women are treated as hopelessly inept (whereas he used to be quite successful), and Flo doesn't gamble any more. I like the old strips. They're terrible people, but that's intentional. The modern ones are just a bland, unfunny version of the Lockhorns.