Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
"Oh no we found some human bones it looks like your idiot daughter got eaten by stray dogs in Chicago no need for the investigative journalist" but hey then again these are the same people who can't search a purse.

Or bug a car, or put a tracking device on a car, or inform the parents who could be found liable, or inform the sheriff whose job it is to keep things quiet, or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/TweetLikeAGirI/status/929361155612651521

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

If only they had fourth wall awareness...

quote:

Matt: That’s going up on the board.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

If only they had fourth wall awareness...

In season four, Eleven's gonna rip a hole in the fourth wall, and team up with Agent Cooper, Scully, Mulder and the folks from Fringe to take down all TV aliens at once.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

And More posted:

In season four, Eleven's gonna rip a hole in the fourth wall, and team up with Agent Cooper, Scully, Mulder and the folks from Fringe to take down all TV aliens at once.

A thing I noticed about this - Mulder would be about 10 years older than the Stranger Things kids, and the Fringe folks were about 10 years younger. I guess Dale cooper would be a little older than Mulder.

In 1984, Olive Dunahm was five years old, living in Jacksonville, doing Cortexiphan trials with Walter. Cooper was probably investigating some Weird poo poo. Mulder would be in college, or FBI academy, I guess?

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 12, 2017

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just want a Stranger Things/The Americans crossover

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

I wonder what the asking price of a house built on chemical apshixiant releasing soil is?

Jesus Christ Barb you are so loving terrible you doomed the property value of your entire hometown.

Up until the final episode of season 2 I was expecting Hawkins to get a Love Canal styled cover up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, remember the fake body thing didn't work.

Edit: Remember, all of you guys thought that Nancy was just letting her guilt make stupid decisions for her and was gonna tell Barb's family about her even though it was dumb.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 12, 2017

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

And More posted:

Needs more Goku imo

Anyway, I just finished season 2 and I don't understand any of the episode 7 controversy? I kinda get how people might be a little bummed that we spent an entire episode away from Hawkins, and oh my God Kali's friends are corny as all hell, but I actually thought it was one of the more entertaining episodes of the season. I don't know what (if any) consensus the thread has come to, but if nothing else, it gave Eleven a reason to go back and save the day, and we got to see some excellent acting and colossal character development.

As far as the tape recorder thing goes, it does seem like apart from Evil Doctor, Much Less Evil Doctor, and that one lady who shot the diner guy in the pilot, everyone involved in the lab is incompetent and/or expendable. I can suspend disbelief enough to think that no one bothered to assume these two teens would have a running tape recorder on their person. Especially because in 1984 I don't think "get the bad guy on tape talking about his schemes" was as overdone as it is now.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I wonder how Eleven's character is going to progress going forward; I somehow doubt she's gonna be at school with the other kids. Maybe some kind of wilderness survival training with Hopper?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Karmine posted:

Needs more Goku imo

Obviously, Eleven is gonna take on Superman and Son Goku in season five, only to realise that not all aliens are bad.

quote:

Anyway, I just finished season 2 and I don't understand any of the episode 7 controversy? I kinda get how people might be a little bummed that we spent an entire episode away from Hawkins, and oh my God Kali's friends are corny as all hell, but I actually thought it was one of the more entertaining episodes of the season. I don't know what (if any) consensus the thread has come to, but if nothing else, it gave Eleven a reason to go back and save the day, and we got to see some excellent acting and colossal character development.

I think people who binged it really hated it. Personally, I thought Kali had an interesting super power. The episode wasn't all that inventive, but I think the punks have potential if they end up being Eleven's version of the Space Marines from Aliens. Either way, it's funny that the one with the beautiful butterfly power ends up gunning down people in their homes. Eleven is such a softie.

Some random speculation: I bet they're gonna need Kali's mind control powers to take out the Mind Flayer.

JawKnee posted:

I wonder how Eleven's character is going to progress going forward; I somehow doubt she's gonna be at school with the other kids. Maybe some kind of wilderness survival training with Hopper?

If this is all leading up to a Rambo homage, I'm all for it.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 12, 2017

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

And More posted:

Some random speculation: I bet they're gonna need Kali's mind control powers to take out the Mind Flayer.

If this is all leading up to a Rambo homage, I'm all for it.

Naw, the mind flayer is going to possess Kali. She is going to be an antagonist.

Also, why a Rambo homage? Stranger Things is about horror, spooky synths, and John Carpenter and Stephen King vibes. That's another reason why episode 7 didn't jibe without me, because it wasn't Stranger Things. It reminded me of Kung Fury

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Karmine posted:

Needs more Goku imo

It seems like a first draft of a passable episode: interesting ideas and characters, a possibly engaging story with stakes for Eleven, but just rushed and very 101-level in writing and acting.

Part of that could be because the cast of the episode was in a single episode as compared to the regulars who started very strong and have been playing their parts for dozens of hours of screen time.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

In Nineteen Eighty-Four, no one wants to be Winston.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Penpal posted:

Also, why a Rambo homage? Stranger Things is about horror, spooky synths, and John Carpenter and Stephen King vibes. That's another reason why episode 7 didn't jibe without me, because it wasn't Stranger Things. It reminded me of Kung Fury

While those are also the parts I enjoy the most about Stranger Things, the show has definitely tried to dabble in more actiony, corny stuff. Lucas has his Rambo bandana and the entire second season cribs so much from Aliens and Ghostbusters. Let's also not forget that Stephen King wrote The Running Man and John Carpenter made both Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China.

The whole gang thing reminded me a bit of The Warriors, though I associate the masked robbery aspect of it more with Point Break (which would be 90s). What other memorable 80s gang/heist flicks are there?

Either way, seems a bit hyperbolic to compare a bunch of quirky teen criminals to Thor riding a dinosaur while murdering nazis in the past/future.

edit: Oh yeah, D'art kind of reminds me of Trumpy from The Pod People of all things.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 12, 2017

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I just realized that this season took place in 1984 and one of the major stories involves an overprotective, surveillant big brother.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What if the Ep 7 storyline had been revealed as a flashback? As if, after escaping the Upside Down, and finding that agents at Mike's house, Eleven had ended up being drawn to Eight. The city stuff could have had a longer time frame (6 months), and still have El back in town for the rest of the year to live in the cabin

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I hope Will gets to be Not It next season and can just be a regular party member.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Davros1 posted:

What if the Ep 7 storyline had been revealed as a flashback? As if, after escaping the Upside Down, and finding that agents at Mike's house, Eleven had ended up being drawn to Eight. The city stuff could have had a longer time frame (6 months), and still have El back in town for the rest of the year to live in the cabin

Spreading it out would have made it more palatable, I think. However, the style of the city segment is really different from the rest of the show. Just switching from one to the other wouldn't really work, visually.

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

I hope Will gets to be Not It next season and can just be a regular party member.

It really seems like that angle has been fully explored now. They're gonna have to find new roles for Joyce and Will, I think. Maybe they're actually latently psychic like someone suggested earlier. Then they could become part of Eleven's Dream Warriors or something.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

I hope more parents get involved. Joyce is great, but I think it's time for some of the other parents to find out weird poo poo is happening.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And More posted:

Spreading it out would have made it more palatable, I think. However, the style of the city segment is really different from the rest of the show. Just switching from one to the other wouldn't really work, visually.

It's set in the 80's. Maybe they could have had El do some sort of "Secret of my Success" thing

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
watched s2 e7 again and yikes, 8's acting is... bad. Felt like I was being read to in monotone.

The characters are 1-dimensional, but I don't mind them, or the plot - but her acting is baaad

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

:yossame:

e: does Will have the ability to go into the Upside Down now? Or was that involuntary?

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 12, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JawKnee posted:

watched s2 e7 again and yikes, 8's acting is... bad. Felt like I was being read to in monotone.

The characters are 1-dimensional, but I don't mind them, or the plot - but her acting is baaad

:yossame:

e: does Will have the ability to go into the Upside Down now? Or was that involuntary?

I think he was just seeing it, since Mike followed him twice and didn’t seem to have seen him disappear.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I hope more parents get involved. Joyce is great, but I think it's time for some of the other parents to find out weird poo poo is happening.

Just as long as none of it gets through to Mike's dad.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Lemon posted:

Just as long as none of it gets through to Mike's dad.
I want him to see something hosed up, but just kind of not care. Like he sees a Demodog run by the house, close enough where he can see it's a monster, but he just takes a sip of coffee and goes to watch T.V. or something.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I want him to see something hosed up, but just kind of not care. Like he sees a Demodog run by the house, close enough where he can see it's a monster, but he just takes a sip of coffee and continues to read his newspaper.

fixed

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

And More posted:

Then they could become part of Eleven's Dream Warriors or something.

Dammit, that's the specific 80's faux-punk archetype Kali reminded me of.

I'm bad... and beautiful!

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I don't want to act dissatisfied or like I'm making demands, but I could have done with a little Repo Man or, more importantly, some of its perfect soundtrack in this. (Unless I missed something and it's already lurking there.) It could still happen in future seasons, but my heart sank a level when I saw it "already" came out in 84.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

I hope they flip it around and Joyce is the one who gets abducted or possessed or whatever and Will spends the whole season stressed as gently caress because of it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oh yea, just thought of something else about the tape recorder.

Exactly what kind of recording spy device do you think teenagers could get their hands on in the mid 80s? The Walkman was released only 5 years previously and still cost more than Jonathan's car.

This wasn't a time where everyone walked around with video recording devices in their pockets.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If it makes you feel better you can think they got a "I'm going to bone town on your mom's" discount at Bob's place.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Exactly what kind of recording spy device do you think teenagers could get their hands on in the mid 80s? The Walkman was released only 5 years previously and still cost more than Jonathan's car.

This wasn't a time where everyone walked around with video recording devices in their pockets.

The Wheelers seem pretty firmly lodged in the Reagan-era middle class and their son is in the a/v club, so it being some toy of Mike's that Nancy borrowed made perfect sense to me. It wasn't some super sleek spy device, it was a big clunky 80s rear end tape recorder.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That would make sense as a parallel to Mike's theft from Nancy in ep 1 BUT Mike would've noticed, and it would have come up in a scene.

For what it's worth this is still a show written in tyool 2017 and assumes some aspects of personal gadget use.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

And More posted:

edit: Oh yeah, D'art kind of reminds me of Trumpy from The Pod People of all things.

Dart is totally Audrey II.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

That would make sense as a parallel to Mike's theft from Nancy in ep 1 BUT Mike would've noticed, and it would have come up in a scene.

For what it's worth this is still a show written in tyool 2017 and assumes some aspects of personal gadget use.

Nancy specifically asks Jonathan about whether Bob runs the local Radioshack. He gave them a good deal, which is of course what caused Radioshack to go out of business 30 years later.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I had a cassette player in 85. It did not cost the price of a car

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jonathan doesn't have a very good car.

And this isn't about "how could they get it?" It's about the idea that this wasn't a time when people walked around with recording devices. So the idea that the lab guys didn't think to search the teenagers for recording devices isn't really weird, since it would have been very weird for teenagers to be walking around with recording devices.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Nancy could've worn a backpack with a magnetic tape recorder and they still wouldn't search her bag, because the script needed them not to for the other bad sideplot that didn't matter.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

CainFortea posted:

the idea that the lab guys didn't think to search the teenagers for recording devices isn't really weird, since it would have been very weird for teenagers to be walking around with recording devices.

Nancy literally got the idea from looking at a teenager walking around with a recording device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Problematic Pigeon posted:

I hope they flip it around and Joyce is the one who gets abducted or possessed or whatever and Will spends the whole season stressed as gently caress because of it.

This would work really well, I think. Or Hopper gets disappeared.

Both better than my idea of the gang trying to break the pattern for a year, and going on vacation around Halloween. To somewhere with some other kind of strangeness afoot.

• Locked thread