Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

OhFunny posted:

Hey thread whats a good wifi adapter for a desktop?

I've moved into a condo and I'm on powerline at the moment which is giving me around 60 Mbps, but wifi on my phone/tablet is getting 80-110Mbps from my 200Mbps internet plan.

Can't do a wired connection to the modem/router as it's in a different room.

You already have powerline which is usually what I suggest, is it possible you could benefit by upgrading to newer spec adapters?

I am running the newer AV2000 spec and get a solid 150 megabits throughput (thats the download cap here, I haven't tried testing it pc to pc). If you get it from a store that accepts returns like Best Buy / Amazon I imagine it's a simple test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Since you're already familiar with Mikrotik, perhaps one of their switches will suit your needs. The CSS326 running SwOS can do port mirroring, VLANs, LACP, and spanning tree. It has 24 GigE ports and 2 SFP+ ports, is under $200, and is fanless.

I actually have been thinking of getting an EdgeRouter or USG and already have two Unifi AC Pros. Looks like the US-24's are similarly priced to the CSS326 and looks to have port mirroring. Any thoughts on those?

SamDabbers posted:

He means mirroring the traffic from one switch port to another in order to capture and inspect it with a tool like Wireshark.

Yep, I'm planning on taking all of my internal traffic and sending it to a bro/suricata/run tcpdump if i want to machine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boner Wad posted:

I actually have been thinking of getting an EdgeRouter or USG and already have two Unifi AC Pros. Looks like the US-24's are similarly priced to the CSS326 and looks to have port mirroring. Any thoughts on those?

US-24 are not fanless and only have sfp uplinks(1g not 10g). Unless you don't plan on upgrading your server/nas any time soon i would suggest to go mikrotik.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 13, 2017

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I know it says the OP is accurate right in the thread title, but it was last updated 19 months ago, so you'll have to excuse me for asking.

I'm in need of a wireless router for our apartment. It's two story and less than 1,500 sqft. Only two people using it 99.99% of the time, and we're both wired anyways. Wireless is almost always phones and guests' phones.

Is the Archer C9 still the right choice? This Linksys AC1750 (https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual...8FD7A2TTXJ&th=1) has phenomenal reviews, and while the wireless speed is slightly worse, I'm always tempted by 4 1/2 stars. Whatever you guys point me towards, I'd really like to keep the price below $130 if possible. I'm going to take it home, plug three cables into it, and forget about it until it doesn't work.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Boner Wad posted:

Couldn't you run cable in the cold air returns if it's plenum rated ethernet? I guess it depends how easy it would be to run it that way.

Those vents are on the ceiling. There's no way my parents are going to accept cables running up and down the walls.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You already have powerline which is usually what I suggest, is it possible you could benefit by upgrading to newer spec adapters?

I am running the newer AV2000 spec and get a solid 150 megabits throughput (thats the download cap here, I haven't tried testing it pc to pc). If you get it from a store that accepts returns like Best Buy / Amazon I imagine it's a simple test.

I haven't thought of that. The wiring in this condominium is Cat 5 so getting up from 60 to 100 megabits would be nice. Something to try. Thanks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I am getting internet at a new place and it's only 200/10. The c5 modem/router combo is still the best value right? I just need internet wired for my computer and wireless for a chromecast, basically.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 14, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I wanted to try a Unifi AP at home but drat if that isn't the shortest power cable on the PoE injector. Don't have a PoE switch so I'd have to use the injector. The cable is barely 2ft long - not long enough to reach anywhere from any available outlet near where it needs to be. Don't want to run it on the ground or have a permanent extension cord (or damage furniture by drilling holes to mount it to the side of something and have a bunch of unnecessarily-long network cables reaching down there).

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

astral posted:

I wanted to try a Unifi AP at home but drat if that isn't the shortest power cable on the PoE injector. Don't have a PoE switch so I'd have to use the injector. The cable is barely 2ft long - not long enough to reach anywhere from any available outlet near where it needs to be. Don't want to run it on the ground or have a permanent extension cord (or damage furniture by drilling holes to mount it to the side of something and have a bunch of unnecessarily-long network cables reaching down there.

Any reason you can't just run a longer ethernet cable instead?

They're really geared towards usage with a PoE switch anyway.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the usual idea with the injectors is that they sit near your outlet/power strip and you have long Ethernet cables as needed to enable AP and uplink placement.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, the usual idea with the injectors is that they sit near your outlet/power strip and you have long Ethernet cables as needed to enable AP and uplink placement.

It would be going in a carpeted room; leaving the PoE injector on the floor would be a fire hazard and there really isn't enough room on the floor there to set up a platform just for the injector to sit on.

Not to mention how silly it would be to have two ethernet cables be ~7-8 ft longer than they need to be just to connect two devices that are more or less right next to each other.

A long power cable would be the simple, elegant solution, and it really just boggles my mind that they do not have one available.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

... Get an extension cord? They make ones that are identical to the power cord but longer.

Or put a switch in by here other side where the two devices are? Like I'm seriously confused as to why this is a problem.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

... Get an extension cord? They make ones that are identical to the power cord but longer.

Extension cords are not meant for permanent wiring.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I gotta be honest it's super weird to me that you bought a $100 AP, noticed that the freebie injector that came with it has a 2' cable included which won't work for your odd use case, and said "$7 more for a longer cable?! Unacceptable!"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

I gotta be honest it's super weird to me that you bought a $100 AP, noticed that the freebie injector that came with it has a 2' cable included which won't work for your odd use case, and said "$7 more for a longer cable?! Unacceptable!"

before it felt irrelevant to mention the part where the UBNT customer service agent I chatted with when I inquired about getting a longer power cable tried to bullshit me that the length of said power cable was something that absolutely had to be limited because of "the device specs" but there ya go

To be fair, though, while my use case may be odd for the enterprise-lite Unifi AP, I don't think my use case is all that odd for the home networking thread, which is where I posted - and where it was and is recommended. :)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I agree that it's bullshit that tier 1 CS says dumb poo poo but it's also not a surprise or really relevant to things outside that process.

To be honest I still don't get the use case. You have an AP, which is apparently not near an outlet and you don't want it to be. OK. You also don't want to use long Ethernet cables because in your words the device you're uplinking to and the AP are "right next to each other". OK. The uplink router/switch, how is it getting power that the AP can't reach to the same source as well - does it have a wall wart with a 10' cord, or what?

If you were plugging into an Ethernet wall jack then it would make sense, but in that case I'd say you're already in deep enough that it's weird to not rig up a way to put the injector on the other end of the jack or use a PoE switch if you care that much.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, I agree that it's bullshit that tier 1 CS says dumb poo poo but it's also not a surprise or really meaningful about things outside that process.

Oh, I know; it just helped set the mood.

quote:

To be honest I still don't get the use case. You have an AP, which is apparently not near an outlet and you don't want it to be. OK.

Correct.

quote:

You also don't want to use long Ethernet cables because in your words the device you're uplinking to and the AP are "right next to each other". OK.

That and doing so would still require the injector on the carpeted floor, which as mentioned wouldn't work out.

quote:

The uplink router/switch, how is it getting power that the AP can't reach to the same source as well - does it have a wall wart with a 10' cord, or what?

All the other networking equipment in the area came with ~6ft power cables, which is just long enough for where they sit. That's what set the expectation.

quote:

If you were plugging into an Ethernet wall jack then it would make sense, but in that case I'd say you're already in deep enough (again assuming "home networking) that it's weird to not rig up a way to put the injector on the other end of the jack or use a PoE switch if you care that much.

Yeah it's all together.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
My router finally poo poo the bed. I am looking for a decent dual-band home router. Is there a gold standard?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Perhaps a 6 - 2 = 4 foot extension cord would work?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Unless they have changed it recently, the cord on the UBNT PoE injector uses a common C5 connector, also known as a "mickey mouse" connector. It is often found on laptop chargers and some small appliances. These cords are readily available in many different lengths. 6FT example here: https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-6-feet-Mickey-Mouse/dp/B000234TYI for $6 USD.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

astral posted:

Extension cords are not meant for permanent wiring. I already mentioned that's not an option. :)

Good luck with all of your endeavors in life. Please let us know if you ever encounter a street without a crosswalk. Would love to hear how that goes.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'm still confused at what the problem is

edit: oh I get it, unable to think technically and solve problems. got it.

Photex fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 14, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

stevewm posted:

Unless they have changed it recently, the cord on the UBNT PoE injector uses a common C5 connector, also known as a "mickey mouse" connector. It is often found on laptop chargers and some small appliances. These cords are readily available in many different lengths. 6FT example here: https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-6-feet-Mickey-Mouse/dp/B000234TYI for $6 USD.

I did end up getting that sort of cable - thanks. :shobon:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

astral posted:

I did end up getting that sort of cable - thanks. :shobon:

No problem :D

The Unifi is typically used in a business environment where the PoE adapter would often be installed on or near a network equipment rack with a PDU or outlet nearby. Hence the supplied short power cable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[Edit: gently caress it, I'm being an rear end in a top hat. Nevermind.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 14, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[Edit: gently caress it, I'm being an rear end in a top hat. Nevermind.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 14, 2017

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Knifegrab posted:

My router finally poo poo the bed. I am looking for a decent dual-band home router. Is there a gold standard?

The TP-Link Archer C7 isn't the gold standard, but it's cheap and does everything 98% of people need a home router to do.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It never would have occurred to me that having a POE injector on the floor is a power hazard. I have tons of transformers sitting on my carpeted floor, most of them at the end of 1ft extension cables so that I can run them off the same power strip. Am I living super dangerously and never knew it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It never would have occurred to me that having a POE injector on the floor is a power hazard. I have tons of transformers sitting on my carpeted floor, most of them at the end of 1ft extension cables so that I can run them off the same power strip. Am I living super dangerously and never knew it?

Nah, most of them are for low wattage DC devices and don't get particularly hot. If one bursts into flames it could be an issue but that would also be an issue on almost any kind of floor and is very unlikely.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

From a heat perspective, the carpet interferes with their ability to dissipate heat, but unless the transformers are malfunctioning that level of heat alone shouldn't cause a fire, assuming everything is UL rated. Personally I'd be more worried about the carpet fibers finding their way into the ports and causing things to arc or something but that's really going to depend on your carpet.

As for the extension cords, as long as they are thick enough they probably won't melt as long as you aren't powering something super high wattage like a hair dryer or space heater or whatever with them. If they're the average thin ones you can find everywhere (which it doesn't sound like since you mentioned 1ft), at the very least you would want to upgrade to something thicker while you try to find a more permanent solution. Make sure you aren't daisy chaining your power strips/extension cords.

If some of those connections are loose, there can be sparking/arcing that absolutely can cause a fire. The more things you have plugged into extension cords (especially if daisy chained), the greater the risk, of course. In my own situation, for example, an extension cord would have had to have been more or less completely vertical - the weight of the extension cord would have pulled on the connector, which in time would guarantee a loose connection.

Basically just be careful and try to find a more permanent solution when you can. There's a reason the national electric code, uniform fire code, and even OSHA say that extension cords should not be used in place of permanent wiring. :)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Home networking thread: APs aren't the only thing operating on a spectrum

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Not sure if this is the right place but I just had a quick question about using a VPN. I use Cisco AnyConnect to connect to my work computer, and I'm not able to use either the "split tunnel" or "full tunnel" options to connect (I mean I can, but remote desktop will not connect afterwards). I have to select a specific "group" to connect, and after this I noticed that I no longer have local LAN access (from what I understand, you can only continue to have local access if you tunnel). I assume this is a security measure and there's no workaround that won't get me in huge trouble?

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Not sure if this is the right place but I just had a quick question about using a VPN. I use Cisco AnyConnect to connect to my work computer, and I'm not able to use either the "split tunnel" or "full tunnel" options to connect (I mean I can, but remote desktop will not connect afterwards). I have to select a specific "group" to connect, and after this I noticed that I no longer have local LAN access (from what I understand, you can only continue to have local access if you tunnel). I assume this is a security measure and there's no workaround that won't get me in huge trouble?

Depends on the level of access you have on your client OS. Is it a managed client where VPN access is tied to OS configuration? I use like 4 cisco anyconnect and a couple openvpns for ~reasons~ and just modify my routing table manually to "split tunnel". Sometimes i have to anyway at hot spots that give me a 10/8 ip... But if they manage your OS they may prohibit this and it gets trickier to accomplish.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm guessing yes but I don't know much about networking. It's a group that manages computers for employees working with health data so I'm assuming that's why extra security is needed. Also I have access to PHI on my machine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I've found a nice manual about unifi, going in depth on wireless, deep within the ubnt site

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/training/courses/UEWA_Training_Guide_v2.1_03-15-17.pdf

The first part is platform agnostic, it explains about bands, channel width and so on, afterwards it switches to unifi only.

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I'm guessing yes but I don't know much about networking. It's a group that manages computers for employees working with health data so I'm assuming that's why extra security is needed. Also I have access to PHI on my machine.

Try this maybe?: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/adding-a-tcpip-route-to-the-windows-routing-table/amp/
And/or open a help ticket with your IT dept. It is a networking thing, so same concept applies if using macos, Linux, whatever. It's super simple but be prepared for people not to get it. I've seen people run VMs just for different VPNs or more frequently just give up and connect /disconnect for different tasks.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I've got a pretty long ranch-style house (>100 feet from end to end) that I've already wired with Ethernet. Currently the wifi is provided by two old routers (one quite old) repurposed as WAPs on either end of the house. I'd like to upgrade them with some decent AC gear and have been thinking about the UniFi APs, but the spouse is not thrilled about ceiling mounted equipment. Are there any decent APs that are designed to sit on table tops?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Naffer posted:

I've got a pretty long ranch-style house (>100 feet from end to end) that I've already wired with Ethernet. Currently the wifi is provided by two old routers (one quite old) repurposed as WAPs on either end of the house. I'd like to upgrade them with some decent AC gear and have been thinking about the UniFi APs, but the spouse is not thrilled about ceiling mounted equipment. Are there any decent APs that are designed to sit on table tops?

Most smb/pro access points are designed to be installed on ceilings(eg Unifi UAP) or on walls (eg Unifi UAP Mesh), most desktop AP are kinda low on the food chain(gamer-style giant crabs with blue leds cranked to 11). White AP are kinda invisible, they are designed to look like light fixtures exactly not to stand out.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 15, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
double post

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Matt Zerella posted:

Home networking thread: APs aren't the only thing operating on a spectrum

Naffer posted:

Google WiFi (but use a wired ethernet anyways?) Seriously though you can still take the UAP-AC hardware and just lay it out on the table if you want to. Anything you put on a table is probably going to be ugly because you'll have ethernet and/or power cables hanging over the edge. I mean if you're already admitting that aesthetics trumps performance then there's no reason why you can't make do with wifi mesh like Google WiFi or Plume or Ubiquiti AmpliFi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
fwiw, the Unify AP's when mounted on a white ceiling are pretty invisible, they look like very low profile smoke detectors if anything. The LED can be turned off with a check box in the control software. I have 2, one in a hallway and one in a dining room and you never notice them.