Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fishmech posted:

Geometry Wars is actually fun though (plus its achievements are hardly all there is to it). There just isn't much of anything there in a ton of 2600 games, and that's why people can't stand to play the vast majority of them today.

yes, gemoetry wars is fun despite having very limited content. my point is that how much content a game has is a really terrible metric to judge any game by.

et has more content than most other 2600 games and is poo poo. space invaders consists of one single screen and is awesome. the quality of the content is what matters, not how much of it there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

financially racist posted:

yes, gemoetry wars is fun despite having very limited content. my point is that how much content a game has is a really terrible metric to judge any game by.

et has more content than most other 2600 games and is poo poo. space invaders consists of one single screen and is awesome. the quality of the content is what matters, not how much of it there is.

The vast majority of 2600 games are awful

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are some good 2600 games for sure but the vast vast vast majority do not hold up at all. Even the good ones are mostly just nostalgia.

For instance I like pitfall but I’ll never argue it’s actually a good platformer.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The vast majority of 2600 games are awful

the vast majority of the libraries of all game systems are awful.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I feel like there's room for a good WarioWare-style game to be made out of the Atari 2600 library. Just jump from five-second snippet to five-second snippet.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

There are plenty of fun VCS games, you just have to remember that they're from the era of score attacks and not level progression or story-based games.

Also, pretty much everything that Activision and Imagic released are gold.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

the vast majority of the libraries of all game systems are awful.

Yeah but there's usually more than a half dozen games worth playing on a console. Atari 2600 has trouble mustering even that many

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Both the quality and quantity of the content is low as hell for most Atari 2600 games, that's what the playlist shows, not sure why this is making you so angry. If a game has essentially no content, it is in fact bad.

Also ET takes just about 4 minutes on this guy's playthrough to get all the content, while Space Invaders takes like 12 minutes from him doing all the different game variation stuff (changes with bombs and stuff). ET's extremely content-poor for a 2600 game really.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yeah but there's usually more than a half dozen games worth playing on a console. Atari 2600 has trouble mustering even that many

atlantis
cosmic ark
cosmic commuter
gravitar
space invaders
combat
river raid
frogger
battlezone
frogs and flies
defender
pitfall
pitfall 2
berzerk
keystone kapers
h.e.r.o.

just off the top of my head

Silhouette posted:

There are plenty of fun VCS games, you just have to remember that they're from the era of score attacks and not level progression or story-based games.

it's this + 2600 games are not meant to be played for hours on end. i can play atlantis for the 5 or 6 minutes it takes to lose all my cities and be satisfied with that.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 12, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Warlords, Yar's Revenge, River Raid, Night Driver, Demon Attack, Towering Inferno. Not to mention, they pretty much cornered the market on games that take a paddle controller.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Raiders of the lost Ark for when you realize this game may be impossible.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I got a copy of that game real cheap from a store because they couldn't figure out the two stick controls and thought it might be broken. Haunted House is like the fixed version of Raiders imo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

atlantis
cosmic ark
cosmic commuter
gravitar
space invaders
combat
river raid
frogger
battlezone
frogs and flies
defender
pitfall
pitfall 2
berzerk
keystone kapers
h.e.r.o.

just off the top of my head

it's this + 2600 games are not meant to be played for hours on end. i can play atlantis for the 5 or 6 minutes it takes to lose all my cities and be satisfied with that.

Take out the bad versions of arcade games and the ones that are only good because of nostalgia

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Take out the bad versions of arcade games and the ones that are only good because of nostalgia

Whoa there, this is the retro thread. Some of y'all are forgetting to disconnect from the present

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

those are games i purchased decades after the 2600 was relevant, as i grew up in the snes era. i don't have nostalgia for them, they are in fact just fun games to play.

in addition, the 2600 versions of space invaders and battlezone are superior to their arcade counterparts, with the others still being worth playing if still an inferior product.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 12, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Kids used to roll hoops around with a stick. Atari 2600 is now a hoop with a stick. They are outdated and boring due to advances in entertainment.
I played thousands of hours of Atari 2600 as a kid.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Silhouette posted:

This is true. Though most early 80s Activision games are even better on the Atari 800 family. But Imagic rocked some goddamn heat on the Intellivision if you can stand that game pad mark 1. (Get the PC Intellivision Lives and Rocks collections and use a good controller instead.)

Hero however both looks and plays best on the Colecovision where the second fire button works the Dynamite.

Get the instructions for Dreadnought Factor and be amazed at the Atari 8 bits best vertical SHMUP. (The Inty does it but horizontal.)

But it's all what one wants to play. Most pre crash systems are arcade type score attack titles you play for a half hour or so till you hit your fill or current skill cap in the game then go on to another one. They aren't 8-20 hour epics you sink your brainmeats into then maybe play again in 5 years when you forget enough of it it replay or want to ego boost by doing weird poo poo like speedruns or playing PS1 Resident Evil knife only.

(I love Until Dawn and the Telltale Walking Deads but they are one and done, especially since replays tend to show you how little game is in there. The old Fighting Fantasy books had more meaningful gameplay. Much shittier stories though.)

I enjoy pre crash and post crash and up till nowish games but every era has some good and bad. I'd say in general the 2600 has as much of both as modern AAA games do. Unless you like micro transactions, pointless online play, loot crates, and being called every slur in the book plus sexual harassment if you are a woman...

That said, I am not a huge 2600 guy even if it's my first system. My main retro rig is the Atari 8 bit computers which I have no nostalgia for since I first played one in 2011. It does a solid job of scratching pre crash and 80s microcomputer itches while not precisely fitting into either. I'm good with playing nearly any system though. I want more fun or interesting games. Brand loyalty is loving stupid.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I was born in the early days of the 16-bit era so the conception I have about Atari 2600 is something like the Degenatron ad from GTA Vice City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w9oK3ln8Es

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah a far better argument against the 2600 is that the 8-bit computers have most of the same games except done better. though i disagree regarding the intellivision versions of imagic titles. i tried really hard to like atlantis on intellivision but that fuckin controller is a disaster and it just ended up being a less fun version of my favorite 2600 game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeluth posted:

Raiders of the lost Ark for when you realize this game may be impossible.

I have beaten Raiders of the Lost Ark back when it was still a relatively recent game. I actually tried to do this again a few months ago mainly to prove that it could be done and gave up because it really is a terrible game.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Also, VCS Asteroids is better than the arcade version.

fight me

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i do not agree with that statement at all, but hey if you like it better, that's cool too

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I'm sure there are a lot of good Atari 2600 games but I'm secretly glad that I'm too young to be nostalgic for the system because I really don't need another old game console around.

Phantasium posted:

It and Final Fantasy Tactics, iirc.

I even recall reading that the Greatest Hits version of FF Tactics (which came out around 2001, three years after the original) was prompted by the black-label game being somewhat hard to find by that point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Also, VCS Asteroids is better than the arcade version.

fight me

I'll defend 2600 Asteroids to the death, but the arcade machine is magnificent and one of the early masterpieces. So... arrow shaped swords at dawn in front of the yellow castle?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

So... arrow shaped swords at dawn in front of the yellow castle?

Watch out for the ducks.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

even if you're specifically into those really old style games they're done better elsewhere, 2600 just looks horrible to me

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I love the 2600 but even I'll admit I enjoy reading about it more than actually playing it. Racing the Beam is fascinating. Art of Atari is a great showcase, and the console itself is a beautiful piece of industrial design. Probably the best looking home console out there.

As for games, the paddle games hold up the best as it's still kind of novel using analog controls today. Kaboom, Warlords, Super Breakout, etc.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

VCS Missile Command got played so much at my house as a kid.

Yar's Revenge
Frogs and Flies
Pole Position

Are all good.

E.T., gently caress that game.

The Children's Computer Workshop games hold up as games for little kids IMO. We had all 3 and the Kid's Controller.

XYZ fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 13, 2017

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wanna make sure I'm approaching this RGB stuff right:

So if I have a PVM 20m4u, I'll first need this cable that goes from the monitor's BNC ports to a female SCART connection - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/audio-video-accessories/bnc-cables-accessories/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

After which I'd need console-specific cables that end in a male SCART. So in the case of my regular-rear end NTSC SuperNES, I could get this:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...-lead-wire-cord

Is that correct?

Also what is "PACKAPUNCH," would a PVM benefit from that? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...ntsc-gold-scart)

Oh and am I barking up the right tree with this RetroGamingCables site? I feel like I've heard t mentioned here before.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Minidust posted:

So if I have a PVM 20m4u, I'll first need this cable that goes from the monitor's BNC ports to a female SCART connection - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/audio-video-accessories/bnc-cables-accessories/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

Correct. You need a SCART-to-BNC adapter.

Minidust posted:

After which I'd need console-specific cables that end in a male SCART. So in the case of my regular-rear end NTSC SuperNES, I could get this:

Is that correct?

Also correct. Keep in mind that not all consoles have native RGB output; the Famicom/NES is probably the most noteworthy of these, considering its popularity.

Minidust posted:

Also what is "PACKAPUNCH," would a PVM benefit from that? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...ntsc-gold-scart)

Oh and am I barking up the right tree with this RetroGamingCables site? I feel like I've heard t mentioned here before.

The PACKAPUNCH is probably overkill, unless every other SCART cable you try is a piece of poo poo (and even then?).

RetroGamingCables is a solid site, if a bit pricey (for both the base price and considering the conversion from British pounds). There is also Console5.com, who sell cheap cables, and Retro Console Accessories' store on Ebay (and also at https://retro-access.com/), but R-C-A can be hit and miss for stock availability.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

What the best Shiren the Wanderer game to pick up? Just start with the most recent one?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I keep a 2600 around just because I stumbled upon some boxed exclusive games for it (Turmoil and Mountain King) and wanted to be able to play them. I've added a game here or there to it but unless you're stricken with a sick desire, like me, to own actual copies of bizarre exclusive games like Fast Food and Journey Escape there is no reason to have a 2600. Buy an Activision collection instead if you must.

And hoo boy if you wanna talk about brand loyalty you should see some of the guys on the Atari Age Facebook group that will buy nearly anything Atari or early arcade related. Even the flashback systems and those mini LCD arcade machine replica toys for some reason.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

And hoo boy if you wanna talk about brand loyalty you should see some of the guys on the Atari Age Facebook group that will buy nearly anything Atari or early arcade related. Even the flashback systems and those mini LCD arcade machine replica toys for some reason.

stockholm syndrome

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

XYZ posted:

VCS Missile Command got played so much at my house as a kid.
[...]
The Children's Computer Workshop games hold up as games for little kids IMO. We had all 3 and the Kid's Controller.

My youngest brother still swears by Big Bird's Egg Drop which was a pretty nice simple game.

Also, Missile Command was a way better port than was reasonable.

I just finished Legend of Starfy and I have opinions! Also, because I played it on a real cart and I really don't want to spend two hours playing through bits of it again on an emulator to get screenshots, you don't get any pictures.

So what is Legend of Starfy (Densetsu no Starfy)? It's a series of action games published by Nintendo and developed by TOSE starring Starfy the starfish (is that "star" enough times in a row?). The first three games in the series were released for the GBA and the fourth game for the DS. The reason that you probably haven't heard of them is that they were released only in Japan.

Starfy can move freely in the water, do a spin attack, and shoot himself in a direction. Out of water, he can just dash, spin, and float jump. The levels generally involve some minor puzzle elements. You bump into an undersea creature who needs something, then you go through the stage to find it for them. While the Japanese isn't particularly complex in this game, it's really easy to just muscle through (not a sea creature pun).

The free movement makes things kind of interesting since it's used like Ecco to make the exploration of the stages a bit more complex. There's lots of maze like levels here that you have to figure out how to get through.

Starfy reminds me a lot of Kirby. You've got a guy who floats along in a bright, colorful world. Starfy can very occasionally turn himself into something and use the new abilities to get around. And the game is super easy up front but with some more complex post-game content.

So yeah, Legend of Starfy is really short. I've been playing it off and on for a few days in bed and while waiting for things. I was only challenged in a few parts where I was trying to figure out how to damage a boss or how to get to the next section. There's nine levels total and none of them take a particularly long time to complete.

After you complete the game, though, it becomes a collectathon with items placed in special challenge rooms found in each of the stages. The regular currency you collect in the game restores one health for every five pick ups and the total you collect goes into a pool for unlocking an image. There are treasure chests that have to be found. I haven't done all the post game content yet, but I think I'll at least play some of it.

I kind of liked the game despite how easy it was. Kind of a good a game to just chill out with. Also, my copies of the games cost about $3 each including shipping from Japan so it wasn't a big investment to check it out.

Turbinosamente posted:

I know half this stuff is nostalgia for the toys of our youth, but that's as bad as someone still getting into Nintendo/Sega console wars fights.

(I think we all know the winner there: Turbografx-16.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 13, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Minidust posted:

Is that correct?

I wouldn't really worry too much about the packapunch. I only got the shielded SCART to SCART cable from RetroConsoleAccessories for my scart switcher. You can get shielded cables for the scart cables for each system to get rid of audio issues, but honestly just the scart from the switcher to the OSSC is perfect for me and I had no audio issues.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

I know half this stuff is nostalgia for the toys of our youth, but that's as bad as someone still getting into Nintendo/Sega console wars fights.

(I think we all know the winner there: Turbografx-16.)

At first I thought it was just the usual amount of "look what I bought" Facebook group brag posts but when they're trying to get all the mini acrade machines and then going to Cracker Barrel's gift shop in pursuit of the even smaller ones with upgraded screens (most aren't LCD anymore apparently) it seemed a bit much. Though I probably shouldn't be throwing so many stones in this glass house.

It'll be interesting to see if your opinion on Starfy changes by the time you get to the DS game. That was the one I tried and wasn't able to get into it, kinda curious if the earlier games were better/more charming.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Starfy is kind of fascinating to me because it's unabashedly developed by TOSE, as opposed to secretly developed by TOSE.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

moller posted:

Starfy is kind of fascinating to me because it's unabashedly developed by TOSE, as opposed to secretly developed by TOSE.
TOSE and Nintendo had a weird relationship around that time. Super Princess Peach was also a TOSE joint.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

So what is Legend of Starfy (Densetsu no Starfy)? It's a series of action games published by Nintendo and developed by TOSE starring Starfy the starfish (is that "star" enough times in a row?). The first three games in the series were released for the GBA and the fourth game for the DS. The reason that you probably haven't heard of them is that they were released only in Japan.

The DS game did make it to America! It may still be a staple of Walmart's bargain bin.

Starfy's first US appearance was a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga on a movie poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Rirse posted:

I wouldn't really worry too much about the packapunch.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I got a Packapunch cable for my Mega Drive recently, and while the games do look fantastic through the Framemeister I'm not so sure if the extra cost was really worth it (£5-10 more depending on the system). It did at least fix my jailbar problem, but I'm pretty sure the cheaper CSYNC cable from retrogamingcables would've had the same effect (and of course, getting rid of the jailbars isn't that hard anyway).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 13, 2017