Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I won't. I don't have enough tires to get through a DE style weekend. I'll hopefully make Summit next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone in here tracking a NA Miata? Have wheel studs, pads and rotors from when I thought I was going to build a spec miata years ago. Thought I had sold off all the stuff but found these unpacking from the move. All brand new, for 1.6 NA Miata.

If anyone can use this send me a PM and we'll figure out a price

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ran Wild Horse Pass (formerly Firebird) east track today, which they just repaved last month. S2000 continues to take endless hammering and punch well above its weight. :love:

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
Well, I had a little oopsie on the track. Around a month ago I was out at Mosport with the BMW club and went off in the exit of turn 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX05Sz2jojw

This was on the Sunday and I had spent the previous week working until midnight every day to get the car put together for the weekend. I missed the Friday session because while I had finished welding the cage in, the car had no seats or steering wheel. The Friday was spent putting the interior back together.

Recipe for crashing:
1. Work 16 hour days for a week before the track weekend (8 hours of the normal job, 8 hour on the car).
2. Don't account for the changes in the suspension needed after adding the cage and dropping ~300lbs from the car
3. Have old tires that almost certainly have a few more heat cycles in them. (they didn't)
4. Decide to push the car after one warm-up lap.

I got lucky in that I only bent a tie rod, dented the rear corner, wall rashed one wheel, and flat spotted all 4 tires. It could have been much worse as most of the people I have seen lose it in this stretch end up intersecting with the inside wall head on. I was dumb and went out when tired and without testing the car gradually. Don't be me.

The next weekend at the track went much better as I was rested and built up speed gradually. The main thing was the suspension settings needed to be completely different than I had dialed in pre roll cage. Before the roll cage, I was running 8/20 clicks front/rear on the MCS single adjustable shocks and no rear sway bar. After the roll cage, I found I needed 12/20 clicks on the shocks and the rear sway bar made a huge improvement. Unfortunately, my camera ran out of memory before I really got back in the groove, but this is a video where I am still being a bit hesitant on the power coming out of turns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX05Sz2jojw

Note that both of these are 360degree videos so you and zoom and pan to see all around the car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

those 360 vids are neat as hell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seriously. What kind of camera is that?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

look down ;)

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

BlackMK4 posted:

Garmin VIRB 360.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
This feels like a really dumb question, but how do I know when it’s time to get new tires for the track? I’m fairly new to track driving and am not really in tune with paying attention to feeling the amount of grip in the tires. The car in question is a 94 Miata with RS-3s with probably 10 track days on it (about half and half between me and the previous owner, and two of those were in the wet) and probably 1k miles of driving on the highway.

I don’t recall a noticeable lack of grip from the last track day I did. I’ve got another day coming up at Laguna Seca next month so wondering if I should just run these again (because I am cheap) or get new tires before I go. Still plenty of tread on the tires but from reading around a bit it’s more a heat cycle thing?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

At this stage, and really anyone not running r-comps or slicks, don't worry too much about heat cycles just watch your tread depth. Check your tires before and after sessions, if there's a safe amount of tread run it.

Once you've got a few years under your belt and start running r-comps/slicks that do fall off after so many heat cycles you can start worrying about it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

King of all Machines Operate posted:

This feels like a really dumb question, but how do I know when it’s time to get new tires for the track? I’m fairly new to track driving and am not really in tune with paying attention to feeling the amount of grip in the tires. The car in question is a 94 Miata with RS-3s with probably 10 track days on it (about half and half between me and the previous owner, and two of those were in the wet) and probably 1k miles of driving on the highway.

I don’t recall a noticeable lack of grip from the last track day I did. I’ve got another day coming up at Laguna Seca next month so wondering if I should just run these again (because I am cheap) or get new tires before I go. Still plenty of tread on the tires but from reading around a bit it’s more a heat cycle thing?

Just keep driving.

I ran used A008Rs all year (14 events) before swapping to RC-1s. I was shocked at how beat the Yokos were when I switched back to them for a session, but it doesn't matter. You're learning not racing.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Slicked semis are good as hell if there’s no water. Just drive til you see canvas. It’s a track :buddy:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Came across a picture of my car from a couple months ago still on Nexen SUR4. Apparently it likes to lift the front inside wheel, I hadn't realized this.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 31, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
... that really makes me want to get enough measurements of an S2000 to do a suspension model. It should work but I keep hearing there's a lot of little weird things they do.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My car is set up a lot differently than most, pretty sure it's the super soft rear compared to the front. (850lb springs with a ~750lb sway bar rate up front and 600lb rear springs with a ~175lb sway bar rate)
It works really, really well so I don't want to gently caress with it :v:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Heh. Swaybars. Swaybars are for chumps.

Except for OEM sport shocks, all standard hardware with all bushings four year old or less. They just really like flopping around.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
what kind of baby needs 4 tires on the ground

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Three wheel club

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My number one bad habit at Lemons was target fixating on cars lifting a wheel and freezing that corner while flying into/ out of a corner.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Here, have a video of my 3rd afternoon session from Oct 22. Set a new personal best the previous session, the next couldn't get closer than a half second to the time - Track was definitely getting greasy, but I was also trying a different line through one of the corners and it wasn't working. Please ignore my glances at the timer :v:

https://youtu.be/lokeDRCyGiw

I need a new GoPro battery as I only get about 30 mins before it turns off and that's it for the day.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I'm a big dumb baby. Is there a big dumb baby guide to filming and overlaying on GoPro with harry's lap timer? I've got a track day Nov. 10th at Carolina Motorsports that I'd like to try it out with.

Edit: Also, suggested phone mount for a pixel?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
RaceRender

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

R8 datalog from WTAC. Back home they run on wider slicks.

R8 posted:

Here's a picture that answers many questions.

It's our 1:29 - lap

300.9 kmh terminal speed on this particular lap
218 kmh lowest speed across T1
77kmh across T2

It also shows why it keeps farting and snorting, on the blue line, wheel slip on throttle is around 4% (hence on traction control) until it hits around 220km/h.

And it shows how we keep it from going too fast on front stretch, dialing the boost from 1.3 to 1 bar above 280km/h, dropping almost 400hp off.

And last but not least, it shows where we lose the most. Them being turn 3, turn 7 and 9 onwards. Our rear tyres overheat and fade off when exiting T8.

R8 posted:

Believe it or not, but being 30-40 kph down on these three corners mentioned in the post, there is more than six seconds, compared to top pro cars.

R8 posted:

peak 2.1G on brakes, Holding1.7-1.8 on cornering. G. force is a bit difficult to interpret. There might be high peaks but important figure is a median it can hold for a period of time, say more than a second.

R8 posted:

Two things. Due to rocker valvetrain we want to avoid running against rev limiter. At 300kph the engine revs 8400 on 6th (highest) gear and limiter is 9000rpm. On full boost up to the top it would hit limiter at 320kph.

Also, for a sausage salesman there is plenty of work to steer her throught T1 from 300, let alone 320.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 10, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Data systems are awesome stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This part I don't get:

quote:

And it shows how we keep it from going too fast on front stretch, dialing the boost from 1.3 to 1 bar above 280km/h, dropping almost 400hp off.

Is there a maximum speed they're allowed to hit on that, or are they just concerned about smashing into the redline?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The driver spun the car a bunch over the weekend and went wide out of T1 a few times. I think they probably did that to keep him from putting it into the wall at high speed.

Would like to know what MCA was doing at the end of the straight. I think Sierra Sierra had the record at something like 305kph for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHVPsWxHWU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://pinderwagen.com/build-topics/suspension/roll-centre/balljoint-spacers/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Heh, I remember seeing those from some jdm stance company and thinking, "uh, yeah, that doesn't do anything you idiots."

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

jamal posted:

Would like to know what MCA was doing at the end of the straight. I think Sierra Sierra had the record at something like 305kph for awhile.

The R8 driver/owner runs a grocery market as his day job.

MCA did 288 km/h on the straight but 255 km/h (!) in turn one.
Andy Forrest did 260 km/h on the straight and 207 km/h in turn one.

Edit: Video of a rear tyre of the said R8 ovet a WTAC lap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrIlsAqqgM

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 12, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the stickiest 220 treadwear tire? (GTA Enthusiast) I'm assuming the 123S cheater tire is still the go-to. Cheap as fuuuuck.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 12, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nige rules and is helping me with mine :)

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I had the most bizarre damage from a track day (my first legitimate damage from an HPDE), and I managed to catch the moment in (awful) GoPro POV. My oxygen sensor replacement lightbulb lens fell out of its socket on the dash going over the very harsh rumble strip at Carolina Motorsports Park. Oh, that wasn't it. I mean my engine bay air conditioning condenser shook so violently going over the rumble strip that it smashed itself into the fan shroud and threw refrigerant all over the paddock once I parked it. (13:40 below, great slide at the end of the straight, too!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtOFUmViURk

There are worse things that could have happened, I guess.

I got some Harry's from a different session as well, but I'm kind of surprised at the low framerate in the video. Is that just because it's going off of the accelerometer refresh rate? And the GPS speed was totally all over the place, not sure what was up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbMfsUtIDM

I really need some stiffer springs and a little more sway bar on the car if I'm going to keep tracking it. The Hankook Ventus RS4s are way too much for the stock suspension and even though I'm getting good ultimate grip the car wallows all over and rolls the tires way over into big positive camber. Really hard to get it through transitions. I don't want to do it, though, and ruin its life as a weekend cruiser. :(

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 13, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What about intentionally running harder tires so they break loose before the suspension gets overloaded?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

IOwnCalculus posted:

What about intentionally running harder tires so they break loose before the suspension gets overloaded?

Not a bad idea but I'd need something that still has good responsiveness and progressive slip. With my old Yokohama S-Drives trail-braking was almost a guaranteed spin. I really love how well the Hankooks respond and how much slip angle they can handle.

Also it makes me extremely happy to keep up with E92 M3s in a 35 year old car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

KW happens to have just come out with a Variant 3 and clubsport for that car, which tend to ride really well. Looks like about 3k for the V3 (I do get a pretty decent deal on KW though). They even make a lifted version for those safari project cars Leh Keen is doing.

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the stickiest 220 treadwear tire? (GTA Enthusiast) I'm assuming the 123S cheater tire is still the go-to. Cheap as fuuuuck.

There was just some discussion about that in the GTA facebook group. Sounds like 123s, although some michelins came up too, but a supersport probably costs twice as much. Also mentioned: pirelli Pzero, Conti extreme contact, Kuhmo ps91, maybe a federal or zestino in that TW range.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 13, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

jamal posted:

KW happens to have just come out with a Variant 3 and clubsport for that car, which tend to ride really well. Looks like about 3k for the V3 (I do get a pretty decent deal on KW though). They even make a lifted version for those safari project cars Leh Keen is doing.

Yeesh, that's a bunch for shocks. They do sound good, though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's possible they'll do a less expensive non-adjustable or rebound only version through ST

And you probably don't want to know how much the clubsport (pictured, you get camber plates, stiffer springs, and slightly different shock internals) or the competition 3-way go for.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dave Inc. posted:

I had the most bizarre damage from a track day (my first legitimate damage from an HPDE), and I managed to catch the moment in (awful) GoPro POV. My oxygen sensor replacement lightbulb lens fell out of its socket on the dash going over the very harsh rumble strip at Carolina Motorsports Park. Oh, that wasn't it. I mean my engine bay air conditioning condenser shook so violently going over the rumble strip that it smashed itself into the fan shroud and threw refrigerant all over the paddock once I parked it. (13:40 below, great slide at the end of the straight, too!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtOFUmViURk

There are worse things that could have happened, I guess.

I got some Harry's from a different session as well, but I'm kind of surprised at the low framerate in the video. Is that just because it's going off of the accelerometer refresh rate? And the GPS speed was totally all over the place, not sure what was up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbMfsUtIDM

I really need some stiffer springs and a little more sway bar on the car if I'm going to keep tracking it. The Hankook Ventus RS4s are way too much for the stock suspension and even though I'm getting good ultimate grip the car wallows all over and rolls the tires way over into big positive camber. Really hard to get it through transitions. I don't want to do it, though, and ruin its life as a weekend cruiser. :(

As soon as you said "CMP" and "harsh rumble strips", I knew it was T14. Someone took high speed footage of a Spec E30 race years ago, and you can see how violent those gators are.

e: found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZYF_fq4w4

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 13, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Phone posted:

As soon as you said "CMP" and "harsh rumble strips", I knew it was T14. Someone took high speed footage of a Spec E30 race years ago, and you can see how violent those gators are.

e: found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZYF_fq4w4

Jesus, I knew they were rough but the entire cars are vibrating. Those things are no joke, and I was trying to steer clear of them as best as I could since I still had to drive home in that car. Poor little A/C condenser just didn't make it. :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dave Inc. posted:

I'd try sways first. They won't really hurt the ride as much vs. springs and should help the roll a lot. And they're usually easier to install and take off if you decide you don't like them. :v:

Admittedly I don't know much about porch suspensions aside from giggling like crazy following one at a track day and seeing it lift the front inside wheel all the time. 72ish 911 in this case, hopefully yours has a better setup.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 13, 2017