Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'll just push the button to go once the base minimum is built sometimes since I could generally solo it anyway. Sometimes someone will complain like "good job starting it while I'm doing the quests, good luck rear end in a top hat" and I'll just be "lol this is easy imma solo it just get your poo poo done I got this."

Related, I don't care too much if people just get their Halloween quest stuff done because having the party bonus just makes it easier to solo the objective and it's faster than waiting for them.

Moral of the story: you don't have to wait for people to stop goofing off. Just push the big red GO button when you feel like it's safely winnable.

E: Like, if they're so bad that they have to farm an entire map every mission for the stuff that spawns in hexylvania, I think it's kind of questionable how useful they'll be anyway.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Kylra posted:

I'll just push the button to go once the base minimum is built sometimes since I could generally solo it anyway. Sometimes someone will complain like "good job starting it while I'm doing the quests, good luck rear end in a top hat" and I'll just be "lol this is easy imma solo it just get your poo poo done I got this."

Related, I don't care too much if people just get their Halloween quest stuff done because having the party bonus just makes it easier to solo the objective and it's faster than waiting for them.

Moral of the story: you don't have to wait for people to stop goofing off. Just push the big red GO button when you feel like it's safely winnable.

E: Like, if they're so bad that they have to farm an entire map every mission for the stuff that spawns in hexylvania, I think it's kind of questionable how useful they'll be anyway.

Yea, I kind of feel like a jerk about the base builders because obviously if they are putting that much effort into it they enjoy it and I guess it's good practice for when things get difficult, but literally anything other than a box is overkill for these halloween missions. And yea, I haven't seen anything I can't solo yet so I could push it whenever I guess.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Between a Hydra, a Gravedigger, the jack-o-lantern launcher and the dragonslash mummy, any one character ought to be able to basically solo anything hex has to throw at it. Hell, even the Hydra is probably optional, although you'll really burn through that medium ammo.

Murdertrain!

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Any mission without storm mutators is fairly easy to solo nowadays, as long as you do get the bonuses from others in your team. The latter might only be needed in Twine Peaks though, at which point you'll want a box + a few traps.

E: Until you start doing things like 3/4 category storm, in which case the base is simply too big to do it alone. Unless you want to waste 3 -4 maps worth of mats.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can auto snipers be good? I just got an Epic Exterminator with 10% Nature (5), 30% crit damage (10), 20% headshot damage(15), 26.7% headshot damage(20).

Also how do the multipliers work for perks? Are they additive or multiplicative? Is this sniper with a base 200% headshot damage just going to do 246.7% headshot damage at level 20?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can auto snipers be good? I just got an Epic Exterminator with 10% Nature (5), 30% crit damage (10), 20% headshot damage(15), 26.7% headshot damage(20).

Also how do the multipliers work for perks? Are they additive or multiplicative? Is this sniper with a base 200% headshot damage just going to do 246.7% headshot damage at level 20?

Ehh, they are ok. Later on, things usually get too hectic to be sniping husks far away and you just want to magdump into the nearest Smasher or Taker.

And yeah, they are additive, so 246.7% headshot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao, launch pads sound awesome:
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/930119456680042496

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I love this. And I love that they are finding their own voice.

I would love if they add a mele weapon that works like the fulton extraction kit of MGSV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCYx5XmWeZ4

Kylra posted:

Use the macro for "is everyone ready?". If nobody reply, then you can start it. If somebody say yes, you can start it. If somebody say "not now", then wait a bit, then spam it again.
Don't start it without any warning.

I enjoy building, and for me a good defense can deflect most of the horde, so less bullets are wasted. I am specially fond of push traps that send waves of husk to holes or out of the map.
Not only I enjoy building, is a loving party when I join a game and another guy enjoy building. Things can get a bit too overengineered, but we love to see the resoluting rube goldberg machine murderize everything. Is the builders way.

Us builders enjoy some help. Like repair critical buildings that are about to break, and put some traps, if you are absolutelly sure is the right trap. Low level missions can be done with only bullets, but the high level you go, the more a real defense you need.

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 13, 2017

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Stream in 5 minutes! http://twitch.tv/sigmahere

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
launch pads sound insanely good and cool

i wish traps were more common to find (in BR), i want to build mousetrap houses.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tei posted:

Use the macro for "is everyone ready?". If nobody reply, then you can start it. If somebody say yes, you can start it. If somebody say "not now", then wait a bit, then spam it again.
Don't start it without any warning.

I enjoy building, and for me a good defense can deflect most of the horde, so less bullets are wasted. I am specially fond of push traps that send waves of husk to holes or out of the map.
Not only I enjoy building, is a loving party when I join a game and another guy enjoy building. Things can get a bit too overengineered, but we love to see the resoluting rube goldberg machine murderize everything. Is the builders way.

Us builders enjoy some help. Like repair critical buildings that are about to break, and put some traps, if you are absolutelly sure is the right trap. Low level missions can be done with only bullets, but the high level you go, the more a real defense you need.
I usually ask "is anyone not ready" just in case there's afks or something. If people are off doing something and they'll be doing it for some time while I'm ready to finish it I'll just push the button anyway though. I'll tell them they can just keep doing whatever it is they're doing and come join if/when they finish it.

And I always build launchers off tall cliffs and into pits and stuff too. You just gotta do it. It's the law.

My issue there is more with the kind of people that will build a 250 piece base and waste the bonus when there's a single square wide ramp to the objective. Why would you do that? You don't even really need to build anything for that unless the purple lobbers show up as long as someone has good area damage. And the game in particular I'm thinking of we had a master grenadier, an urban assault and a dragon. There was no way anything was going to live past that chokepoint traps or no.

Seditiar posted:

E: Until you start doing things like 3/4 category storm, in which case the base is simply too big to do it alone. Unless you want to waste 3 -4 maps worth of mats.
The trick to soloing cat 3/4 storms when you have to is to reroll the map until all but 1-2 of the atlases are in the air. With killporch or other high efficiency design all you really have to worry about are exploders flanking you and aside from that can easily be done in under a map's worth of resources within a couple game days.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fortnite marketing on point
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/930522753299570689

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jesus thanks for the trap design help

Just barely survived a Storm Shield Defense thanks to the box design. It was ROUGH on the sides that I decided not to make it on

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The new elemental husk effects are pretty cool electrifying.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Jesus thanks for the trap design help

Just barely survived a Storm Shield Defense thanks to the box design. It was ROUGH on the sides that I decided not to make it on

For Storm Shield Defenses and for the Horde event, is good to cultivate a mele defender.

SSD9 and SSD10 are going to be ridiculous hard and expensive with 2 humans, but you can pad that with melee defenders.

This game works somewhat like Destiny where it make sense to build a list of friends or like minded people, so you can ask for help people from that list when you need to do content like high level SSD, or history missions like servers or rockets.

If the type of people you like are the nice type, they may even give you advices in real time or help you build.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Launchpad confirmed best item in a video game ever
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/930843625335992320

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
After reading the tips a few pages ago about base design I've probably been dropping 5-6k in stone and metal around each ssd amplifier making boxes and trap tunnels from approach points to the amplifiers. It's probably overkill, but it's also been way more durable than my older slapdash defenses and funnels husks pretty well letting players focus on hanks, lobbers, and mist monsters.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Some of the points are ludicrous with enemies dropping right on top of your base though. What are you supposed to do with that?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Some of the points are ludicrous with enemies dropping right on top of your base though. What are you supposed to do with that?

In SSDs or other missions? Or both? In case of SSDs, you probably built too far ahead of your amplifiers.

A somewhat related tip: don't build poo poo around amplifiers you haven't placed yet. Some amplifiers are unlocked later than you'd expect, so Husks spawn on top of them and destroy poo poo, and you can't do anything about it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SSD's

I do the pyramid building design which starts 2 tiles out.

Plankerton main base attacked from the south gets enemies dropping directly on the 3rd tile from the base,, and then one of the far out Stonewood amplifiers gets hit from the West with enemies dropping on the 4th tile out. I went through something like 4500 rounds of ammo on that defense.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 15, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

SSD's

I do the pyramid which starts 2 tiles out.

Plankerton main base attacked from the south gets hit, and then one of the far out Stonewood amplifiers gets hit from the West with enemies dropping 3 tiles out. I went through something like 4500 rounds of ammo on that defense.

Not entirely accurate:

You mean amp B? Some spots might feel close but that is (usually) because there's a ramp unblocked. I'm fairly sure you can close off a ramp or 2 on the B amp and let them all funnel from the top arrow in that image, none from the lower one.

Edit: Maybe amp A? But practically the same.

As for Plankerton south map:

I didn't have anything beyond the small wall dynamo/floor spike spam and did fine for me. It's been months since I've been there though. And I want to say you don't get attacked on your main base after a few amps go up anymore, but I'm not 100% sure about that, could've been RNG.

Edit: Canny is an actual clusterfuck when it comes to mountains, and it can be incredibly hard/frustrating to do those defenses. But it's a unique challenge and I really like it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That Stonewood map is old and is off by 1-2 amps. Apparently they were added recently for new people. My next defense is 9 and I have ABCD set up with another left over it looks like.. D was the one I was talking about, it's south of A. There's a 2-3 tile cliff where they pour off the ledge onto a spot 3 tiles away when they come from the east

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
My amplifiers are completely surrounded with metal walls in a + shape, with boxes on the corners (floor wall and roof in likely direction of attack) to fill it out to a 3x3 square. That's all covered with floors, another 4 walls and floor covering the transmitter, and then sloped roofs above all that. Killporches are set up at the center tile on each side of the square, as it's only one wall to the amplifier and husks target it. Directions with only one or two approaches (up ramps and whatnot) usually have trap tunnels, using boxes and walls to redirect husks down a 2-5 tile tunnel to the amplifier. If husks can drop from above, I'll try to place wood boxes up top to at least redirect them to one spot, where they'll drop in front of a killporch. Admittedly, a lot of it isn't needed until the last few ssds of an area, but it's easy enough to drop off excess mats after every few missions then build it all at once with a constructor before doing the ssd. I'll take some screenshots the next time I'm playing to give some examples.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That Stonewood map is old and is off by 1-2 amps. Apparently they were added recently for new people. My next defense is 9 and I have ABCD set up with another left over it looks like.. D was the one I was talking about, it's south of A. There's a 2-3 tile cliff where they pour off the ledge onto a spot 3 tiles away when they come from the east

It's old but not really inaccurate. Well, it is but it's purely for SSD 1-6 iirc. You get like 3 more amps between 7-10 I believe.

Do you play on PC or PS4? I could check it out if you add me (Seditiar in game as well).

Canny is one giant mountain with dropping Husks literally everywhere, I could get some screenshots soon. The Iron Curtain doesn't have poo poo on my Canny base.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My Stonewood base:

- Favelas style.

My Planktoon base:

- Doom 2 base style (fobos not included)

My Canny valle base:

- Secret COBRA base style.

My planktoon base is so overengineered, that It would probably be enough to declare me insane if it ever gets public. Is also poorly designed.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

People have been complaining about my Canny base, some people had like a 3-4 minute loading screen to get in. I'm hoping they reset it at some point, because I still need to do SSD 8 and above there, which has at least 2 extra amps and I can only place 200 more things. :v:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I love the reaction of people when they visit my planktoon base.

And I love to visit other people's bases. Is somewhat like visiting the inside of some people brains. You learn a lot about people just by looking at how they design a base.

SunChips
Nov 16, 2006
If anyone on PC needs a BR friend, add me; supah6

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I really need friend grouping in the friends list in this game, I have no clue who half the people in my friends list are. :negative:

Especially since there's BR and Save the World people in it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Seditiar posted:

I really need friend grouping in the friends list in this game, I have no clue who half the people in my friends list are. :negative:

Especially since there's BR and Save the World people in it.

I'm on PS4. So if my amplifier is definitely going to get overrun (D and E on Stonewood prime examples , do you have a good design for it?

Preem Palver posted:

My amplifiers are completely surrounded with metal walls in a + shape, with boxes on the corners (floor wall and roof in likely direction of attack) to fill it out to a 3x3 square. That's all covered with floors, another 4 walls and floor covering the transmitter, and then sloped roofs above all that. Killporches are set up at the center tile on each side of the square, as it's only one wall to the amplifier and husks target it. Directions with only one or two approaches (up ramps and whatnot) usually have trap tunnels, using boxes and walls to redirect husks down a 2-5 tile tunnel to the amplifier. If husks can drop from above, I'll try to place wood boxes up top to at least redirect them to one spot, where they'll drop in front of a killporch. Admittedly, a lot of it isn't needed until the last few ssds of an area, but it's easy enough to drop off excess mats after every few missions then build it all at once with a constructor before doing the ssd. I'll take some screenshots the next time I'm playing to give some examples.

Yeah some would be nice. Or a topdown diagram

Edit:. I'm looking at my base right now and whomever posted that kill box video will be my friend forever because that saved my rear end on the last SSD.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 17, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm on PS4. So if my amplifier is definitely going to get overrun (D and E on Stonewood prime examples , do you have a good design for it?

Yeah some would be nice. Or a topdown diagram

Edit:. I'm looking at my base right now and whomever posted that kill box video will be my friend forever because that saved my rear end on the last SSD.

No problem, I'd honestly have to check out your base because I haven't done a lot of stonewood SSDs yet, I think I only have up to C. PS4 and PC can party up afaik, could add me. Same name ingame.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am Teikman in the PSN, feel free to add me. The more the merrier.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

SunChips posted:

If anyone on PC needs a BR friend, add me; supah6

Sent you a request last night

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Been rocking this legendary Bolt Bolt for a while, but I've never used an elemental weapon before.

Are there any downsides to turning it to Energy? It says "effective against all elemental types", but does that mean it's less effective against non-elementals or is it just a straight buff?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Straight buff. It straight does about 33% more damage to all elementals than a physical weapon.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Kylra posted:

Straight buff. It straight does about 33% more damage to all elementals than a physical weapon.
Excellent, that's what I was hoping for. Gotta get my rear end into Canny Valley so I actually have malachite to craft the thing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I think I'm going to complete the Halloween stuff before the event is over, is there a best hero to pick for the last reward?

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

katkillad2 posted:

I think I'm going to complete the Halloween stuff before the event is over, is there a best hero to pick for the last reward?

I forget who you get to pick from, I think it's Penny/Hazard/Sarah, in which case you probably want the ninja. Dragons are strong right now with their fully-upgraded Dragon Slash + shadow stance (at least until they debuff abilities in favour of melee or whatever down the road). If you can get a Jonesy, he's even better.v

edit: \/\/\/ That's why the Dragon also has Smoke Bomb. You can Dragon Slash at a mist monster, which clears out the chaff and puts you in Shadow Stance. Then you can try and kite the enemy (if you have a Phase Scout, you get a speed boost, which helps). If it doesn't look like it's going to work, you can Smoke Bomb and hop away to recharge.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 19, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah that jibes with what I read, I grabbed Sarah and Jonesy and they're my 1 and 2. Dragon slash is amazing.

I don't even use melee with her really, you just take way too much loving damage and get surrounded when things are busy. Bee swarms need a nerf.

Also who is the moron who made double jump cost 50 energy? It's so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Wow, you weren't lying about Dragon Slash. You just kite for a bit and it wipes everything. Had someone join my shield defense and drop me a bunch of baller weapons :black101:

I would seriously pay $20bux to have like an additional 50-100 backpack inventory slots

Does anyone know the amount of time you can idle without getting kicked? I'm not a scumbag idler, it's just sometimes there's literally nothing left to do or I'm in a timed quest by myself just waiting for the clock to run out.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 19, 2017

• Locked thread