Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rotinaj posted:

And see a young Terry Crews in one of his first roles. I don't know why I loved Battle Dome as a kid.

Because Terry Crews is extremely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

rotinaj posted:

And see a young Terry Crews in one of his first roles. I don't know why I loved Battle Dome as a kid.

I know I watched it because American Gladiators didn't satisfy my graphic ankle break lust.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

cunny mcalister posted:

I know I watched it because American Gladiators didn't satisfy my graphic ankle break lust.

That's sids purpose in life

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Because Terry Crews is extremely cool.

I never saw battlebowl but I saw the odd clip and Terry Crews looked great and like a star in it. I remembered him from that when he was in other things, which is a testament to how Terry Crews Terry Crews is. I never remember anyone from anything.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Von Linus posted:

I never saw battlebowl but I saw the odd clip and Terry Crews looked great and like a star in it. I remembered him from that when he was in other things, which is a testament to how Terry Crews Terry Crews is. I never remember anyone from anything.

hey I know this is a typo but I'm watching wcw ppvs from the early 90s right now and is there anyone, anyone who defends battle bowl as a concept? it's the only parts I've skipped so far because it's a terrible idea and takes forever to get through. the end match is fine, and a twist on the rumble concept which I can appreciate, but having a dozen tag matches with jobbers filling out most of it just kills a ppv dead

e: the first one put some story around sting at least, but lordy it just looks like covering for an extremely thin roster

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

shiksa posted:

hey I know this is a typo but I'm watching wcw ppvs from the early 90s right now and is there anyone, anyone who defends battle bowl as a concept? it's the only parts I've skipped so far because it's a terrible idea and takes forever to get through. the end match is fine, and a twist on the rumble concept which I can appreciate, but having a dozen tag matches with jobbers filling out most of it just kills a ppv dead

e: the first one put some story around sting at least, but lordy it just looks like covering for an extremely thin roster

If you've got a fuckhuge roster it seems like a rad idea which you can get multiple stories out of: established tag teams being forced apart for one night, unusual combinations that work surprisingly well, feuding dudes teaming up, that one heel team who somehow against the odds managed to bribe the officials to stay together etc.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't know about the subsequent ones, but apparently the first Battle Bowl the teams were truly drawn at random at the start of the show, so nobody had any time to prepare.

There could almost be a intriguing concept in there. A tournament where the partners are chosen at random, and as each round progresses, the teams get chosen at random again. The finals could be the winning team facing each other in a singles match

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 26, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

If you've got a fuckhuge roster it seems like a rad idea which you can get multiple stories out of: established tag teams being forced apart for one night, unusual combinations that work surprisingly well, feuding dudes teaming up, that one heel team who somehow against the odds managed to bribe the officials to stay together etc.

Except it always made for terrible PPVs that no one bought. You can't fit that many matches on one show and random teams with no chemistry lead to no matches. Imagine paying $30 and not knowing what the show will actually be.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

Except it always made for terrible PPVs that no one bought. You can't fit that many matches on one show and random teams with no chemistry lead to no matches. Imagine paying $30 and not knowing what the show will actually be.

It's a great idea for the Network, since we are all paying anyway. Give me a random match generator PPV!

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

It's a great concept for an undercard if you have a strong draw match on top, I think.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

It's a great concept for an undercard if you have a strong draw match on top, I think.

the strong draw match on top is a battle royale where no one knows the participants before buying the match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Except it has never ever been good and as a concept doesn't even sound good. You either get random seeming match ups which exist for no reason or wacky enemies teaming that seem completely contrived. The matches also have almost no heat because who could possibly care about the format.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Except it has never ever been good and as a concept doesn't even sound good. You either get random seeming match ups which exist for no reason or wacky enemies teaming that seem completely contrived. The matches also have almost no heat because who could possibly care about the format.

But enough about the Royal Rumble

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

The final Lethal Lottery (1996) was the latter. They announced the pairings on Nitro and nothing seemed random about it. Almost every pairing had a split tag team or enemies on the same side.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Didn't cyber sunday also draw poor in comparison when WWE ran those random match concepts?

Its always a good idea on paper but people want to know what they're getting into before dropping what was probably 30/60 bucks at the time.

Agree with the network era and the fact we're all in anyway its a concept which could work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Croc posted:

Didn't cyber sunday also draw poor in comparison when WWE ran those random match concepts?

Its always a good idea on paper but people want to know what they're getting into before dropping what was probably 30/60 bucks at the time.

Agree with the network era and the fact we're all in anyway its a concept which could work.

Very poorly.

I've seen bits of this Bagwell interview posted before but here's a couple paragraphs from the 11/6/00 Observer with more details

quote:

Buff Bagwell did an interview before the PPV with Alex Marvez on wrestlingobserver.com which is sure to cause a lot of controversy due to the pointed remarks and also the appraisal of where he and others stand as far as being top talent. He ripped on Vince Russo, saying his tenure has broken everyone down, noting in particular Luger, Page and himself. He complained about the WCW fining system for wrestlers showing up late. Just a few day before the match, he said he had no idea what a DNA match is and that he's never been so confused about wrestling in his entire life. He said that he missed out on a big raise because he had a neck injury in 1998 when Bischoff was giving out all the big raises. He said Bill Busch was going to give him a raise but he was fired (Busch actually quit when Bischoff and Russo were brought back in April). He said, "Out of all the `A' talent, I can say this with confidence. I was the only guy that is up for a raise; definitely underpaid as far as talent goes." He complained about how screwed up the company is, citing that Luger is being paid $1.3 million per year and doing jobs for Hugh Morrus. "Are you kidding me? Hugh is a great guy and all that, but he's not A talent. I love him to death, but he's never going to draw a dime we're talking about drawing money and he's never going to draw a f---in dime. And Luger is putting him over at house shows? Nothing is adding up.

I know for a fact that if they try to get me to job for (David) Flair at Havoc, I'm going to walk out the door. I'm not doing it." These comments no doubt had something to do with the Rection deal on Nitro, and probably Bagwell's quick job to Luger on TV. Regarding his attempt over the summer to go to the WWF, he said that on the New Blood Rising PPV on 8/13, Kanyon was supposed to beat him and take Judy Bagwell as his valet. He said it was Russo's idea, that nobody but Russo liked the idea, but he had no problem doing it even though it wasn't going to help him or hurt him but he thought it could help or hurt Kanyon by having his mother as his valet. He said he asked Kanyon, "Are you sure you want my mother as your f---in valet? It's a pretty big deal here. It could help you or it could crush you. It's got to be your call." They agreed to do the angle as planned and when they got to Vancouver, he was under the impression he would be doing the job and his mother going with Kanyon. That day, he found out he's going over. He said he wanted to lose because it was the only way for the angle to make sense. When he asked why he wasn't losing, they told him plans were changed. Kanyon thought they were going to fire him. So he beat Kanyon and gave David Arquette, who interfered for a $20,000 run-in that meant nothing for the storyline, his finisher. Then, after getting the strong win, Johnny Ace told him he was off the next two TV's.

He was mad about being taken off TV so he called his agent saying he wanted a new contract or a release. They told the agent they were thinking of getting rid of him anyway. They agreed to give Bagwell a release but only if he signed a 30-day non-complete clause. Bagwell turned it down, because 30 days off is $50,000 through his WCW contract. He said that he just figured he'd work till the end of his contract in March, then go to the WWF this coming spring. Two weeks later, WCW came back and changed their tune, now wanting to renegotiate. He said at this point, he hasn't gotten a raise and there is no chance of renegotiating. Needless to say, Bagwell talking about being A level talent and talking about other people that can't draw was met with a lot of humor when it came out, and he also apparently did himself no favors when it comes to potential employment with the WWF by his attitude as it pertained to this interview. On the other hand, there is validity to some of his complaints as it regards lack of planning and common sense in the storylines

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

He's not wrong about Hugh Morris.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

buff bagwell totally had A talent potential when wcw was hot

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Eh, he was kind of a "B+" guy on the cusp for awhile, but they never pulled the trigger on him.

His closest shot at breaking through was in Spring 99' during his feud with Piper at which it seemed like he was going to breakthrough, but they never followed through their push to the next level like they did for Booker T and Scott Steiner in 2000.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Eh, he was kind of a "B+" guy on the cusp for awhile, but they never pulled the trigger on him.

His closest shot at breaking through was in Spring 99' during his feud with Piper at which it seemed like he was going to breakthrough, but they never followed through their push to the next level like they did for Booker T and Scott Steiner in 2000.

Uh, what?

His closest shot was coming back from his neck injury in 98, he was going to be The Rock.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Favorite Buff Bagwell moments.

- Bagwell gets beaten up for real by Ernest Miller
- Bagwell gets beaten up for real by Scott Steiner
- Bagwell gets beaten up for real by Shane Helms

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Buff was the stuff

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Say Nothing posted:

Favorite Buff Bagwell moments.

- Bagwell gets beaten up for real by Ernest Miller
- Bagwell gets beaten up for real by Scott Steiner
- Bagwell gets beaten up for real by Shane Helms

-Buff Bagwell sucks so bad that Vince flushes his entire Invasion plan

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

MassRafTer posted:

Uh, what?

His closest shot was coming back from his neck injury in 98, he was going to be The Rock.

I will never understand why they turned him heel when he returned. It was a Russo turn before Russo even joined the company.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Max Coveri posted:

I will never understand why they turned him heel when he returned. It was a Russo turn before Russo even joined the company.

Maybe they thought a face couldn't pull off his entrance ramp dance

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That stupid dance was big enough I remember NFL mascots doing it

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
i went to the Thunder where Buff broke his neck and they kept replaying it on the tron like the drat zapruder film

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Max Coveri posted:

This is a company that loving loves its heels. It's like inverse WWE where the bad guys are cool and dominant and the faces are total idiots.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think I've posted this before but I've been kind of following this in the back of my head during Tuesday Nitro and tonight was an important night in the chronology.

WCW debuted the Big Gold Belt in 86. It cost about $12,000 and featured fake jewels that the wrestlers apparently kept trying to steal and sell, which had to be replaced. It had one distinctive feature later on, a bend in the top of the belt. This first appeared in 89 when Muta used it as a weapon but got much worse as time wore on. By 98-99 the belt was looking pretty worn. Around the filming of Ready to Rumble WCW had some casts of the belt made. They went to Nash, DDP, Scott Steiner, the movie and one later to Jeff Jarrett. This becomes important later on.

At Bash at the Beach 2000 the bent belt is switched with the cast Jeff Jarrett has. Hogan wins it after Jarrett lays down for him and then both sides work themselves into a shoot. Hogan thinks he has the original belt, but he doesn't. The original belt is awarded to the winner of Booker vs Jarrett on that show, you can tell because Hogan's looks new and Booker's doesn't.

So that belt gets swapped around until the final Nitro when Scott Steiner, then the champion switches the original belt for his cast and Booker T wins that one to take to the WWF. Scott Steiner then keeps the original and has it in his personal collection.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Scott Steiner you crafty bastard.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is a company that loving loves its heels. It's like inverse WWE where the bad guys are cool and dominant and the faces are total idiots.

But that's WWE right now

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jerusalem posted:

Scott Steiner you crafty bastard.

For as insane and carny Steiner appears to be, he's actually a pretty intelligent bastard

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I don't think anyone underestimates Big Poppa Pump's intelligence other than the fact that we're more scared of the steroids.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I think I've posted this before but I've been kind of following this in the back of my head during Tuesday Nitro and tonight was an important night in the chronology.

WCW debuted the Big Gold Belt in 86. It cost about $12,000 and featured fake jewels that the wrestlers apparently kept trying to steal and sell, which had to be replaced. It had one distinctive feature later on, a bend in the top of the belt. This first appeared in 89 when Muta used it as a weapon but got much worse as time wore on. By 98-99 the belt was looking pretty worn. Around the filming of Ready to Rumble WCW had some casts of the belt made. They went to Nash, DDP, Scott Steiner, the movie and one later to Jeff Jarrett. This becomes important later on.

At Bash at the Beach 2000 the bent belt is switched with the cast Jeff Jarrett has. Hogan wins it after Jarrett lays down for him and then both sides work themselves into a shoot. Hogan thinks he has the original belt, but he doesn't. The original belt is awarded to the winner of Booker vs Jarrett on that show, you can tell because Hogan's looks new and Booker's doesn't.

So that belt gets swapped around until the final Nitro when Scott Steiner, then the champion switches the original belt for his cast and Booker T wins that one to take to the WWF. Scott Steiner then keeps the original and has it in his personal collection.

Do you have any good pictures of them?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wow like I needed another reason that Scott Steiner kicked rear end.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

stab posted:

For as insane and carny Steiner appears to be, he's actually a pretty intelligent bastard

I can't tell if Steiner is crazy or crazy like a fox.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I can't tell if Steiner is crazy or crazy like a fox.

Yes

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So ok, Scott Steiner moments of legitimate brilliance.

1) The drug test gambit with HHH.
2) The belt switcharoo.
3) Reinventing himself a decade into his career when he came to realize that he couldn't rely on his athleticism anymore.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Don't forget Steiner realized his value as a meme and got paid by TNA in 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ChrisBTY posted:

So ok, Scott Steiner moments of legitimate brilliance.

1) The drug test gambit with HHH.
2) The belt switcharoo.
3) Reinventing himself a decade into his career when he came to realize that he couldn't rely on his athleticism anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI