Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

Over the last couple years I've made a big effort to not be the "internet argument guy" as much as possible, and there's no overstating how much it's improved my life.

This is an *excellent* and honest post and I will keep it very much in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Was there ever any updates on what Ben has been doing with the 10k he raised?

That white blood cell count increase was just the sepsis which is actually a totally normal thing to get for no reason at all.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He spent it on cheesecakes.

One giant cheesecake actually.
Speaking of doughy sadsacks, have there been any more of those depressing clips of Erin Roberts looking like his soul just exited his corporeal being as a junior dev shares the latest bad news?

I feel legit sorry for him. Dude should have stayed working on Lego games.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And then we laughed about he got jewed in counter-strike

Until he posted on his livejournal and closed it all.

Boy, those 1400+ screenshots of a Philadelphia News Reporter sure isn't creepy or stalker'ish behavior. That sort of creepy attitude is only a thing goons would do! NO, there's no double standard in labelling all goons as criminals when Ben Lesnick clearly is a racist gently caress and therefore that would mean all Star Citizens are racist fucks.

Yeah, a key point in the whole Ben fiasco that his defenders missed is that you might classify something like a racist joke as an unfortunate attempt at edgy comedy by using the concept of racial identity if you really want to be that kind of an rear end in a top hat.

But if you repeatedly make the same kind of racist jokes about the same race repeating every popular stereotype about that race then you are obviously talking directly about that race and are a racist.

It's not like The Unfortunate Edgelord Comedian was cracking wise about racial identity in general in his regrettable phase of using race as a topic for comedy or anything. He specifically called out black people over and over and over.

I like how they phrase it as someone saying some things in the distant past. "Younger" Ben.

Dude was like 25.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Dude was like 25.

Stone?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yeah, a key point in the whole Ben fiasco that his defenders missed is that you might classify something like a racist joke as an unfortunate attempt at edgy comedy by using the concept of racial identity if you really want to be that kind of an rear end in a top hat.

But if you repeatedly make the same kind of racist jokes about the same race repeating every popular stereotype about that race then you are obviously talking directly about that race and are a racist.

It's not like The Unfortunate Edgelord Comedian was cracking wise about racial identity in general in his regrettable phase of using race as a topic for comedy or anything. He specifically called out black people over and over and over.

I like how they phrase it as someone saying some things in the distant past. "Younger" Ben.

Dude was like 25.

HEY! MY LAST JOKE WAS ABOUT JEWS, THIS ONE IS ABOUT BLACKS, THEREFORE I'M NOT A RACIST! :grin: -Ben Lesnick, probably wheezing and out of breath

Glad to see he's almost able to cosplay as the Big Comfy Couch though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, a key point in the whole Ben fiasco

We called it "Ben-ghazi".

Here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772600

Did Ben get fired?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Don't forget his jokes about cancer, dead kids and random shootings.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SomethingJones posted:

Erase your notes. Post free.
:justpost:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
/r/StarWarsBattlefront: "This just appeared in the BF2 store"

Star Citizen is cool and good though. Buying Super Hornets and Carracks and UEC isn't Pay2Win, because it's crowdfunding :smuggo:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I don't understand the whole lootbox outrage. Haven't lootboxes/crates/cases been a thing for years?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

The soul of the project has transformed from passion into deceit. Here’s my general take on the transformation:

My opinion on this is that one of the big drama bombs was Sandi, because she actually believed she was literally the smartest person in the room at all times. There are others as well, but she was a Star because of her attitude.

This ultimately lead to her direct confrontation with Beer4TheBeerGod in a CS case, which ultimately resulted in her looking like a fool.

When all this happened, she pulled out of Twitter, pulled out of customer service, and basically pulled out of everything not related to being on camera or hobnobbing with movie stars.

I firmly believe that up to this point, Star Citizen was very personal to her. She was personally invested in its success because she was making tons of money from it, and up to now had fought tooth and nail to make it what it was. During her come to Beer moment though, she realized being made a fool publicly wasn’t worth it anymore, and she had more than enough money to just do what she wanted to do (be an actress), so has since vanished onto the cutting room floor of indie Hollywood movies. She no longer cares about the game because she already is a millionaire.

So why then is there less drama now than there was before? Well, simply put it’s no longer personal for the head people who couldn’t be trusted with themselves. They’ve made their money, and can just keep “doing what they do” and ignore the people bashing it.

They know Star Citizen is not going to become the game promised. So why defend it to the death like it will? No need. Just keep pimping, keep lying, and keep the narrative mostly positive like it’s real and they’ll keep making money until they want to stop the money train.

When this was a Roberts passion project there was plenty of fun to be had. But since it’s transformed into a very blatant cash grab, the passion is gone, the soul is black, and because of that there is really no excitement going on outside of laughing at the latest video of lies. It’s a soulless project now, and it shows on every level.

They are bored of this poo poo. For a while they thought this was going to be a billion dollar franchise but that dream is long dead

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

thatguy posted:

I don't understand the whole lootbox outrage. Haven't lootboxes/crates/cases been a thing for years?

These ones are very specifically p2w with power boosting your weapons and taking less damage. The other side of it is that if you play normally, it takes forever to get a lootbox. EA super hosed up on what investors needed to be the biggest game of the year. If people actually cancel preorders and stick to not buying the game, EA is going to see financial backlash on both sides.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Sunk more hours than I should've again this weekend into Space Engineers. The game is buggy as all Hell in some ways still, but it's really impressive. And if I wasn't feeling up to hardcore construction, then just copying in some blueprints from the Steam Workshop and crashing them into each other was a blast.

I know we say this about the other games that already do what Star Citizen promises, but why aren't they all clamoring over this game? It's the slow tedious learning curve they're apparently craving. It's takes like ~10mins to launch and fully escape a planet's gravity. Landing from space is hard work, and requires a ship that's not designed by a complete idiot (I am a complete idiot).

It's funny watching the Bugsmasher or whatever video from last week with it's sad little buggy, then switching over to SE; where I've got a crappy transport I can drive an equally crappy buggy into, strap it down, and blast it into space.

Load up a few of the Star Citizen inspired craft from the Workshop, you'd have a game that is far closer to Star Citizen than the actual Star Citizen.

Zakutambah fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 13, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

BeigeJacket posted:

One giant cheesecake actually.
Speaking of doughy sadsacks, have there been any more of those depressing clips of Erin Roberts looking like his soul just exited his corporeal being as a junior dev shares the latest bad news?

I feel legit sorry for him. Dude should have stayed working on Lego games.

I dont, he actuvely sells the scam now

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

thatguy posted:

It's two things.

The boxes can be bought with real money. Buyable DLC has been a thing since mission packs way back in the day. Then they turned from buying a broad ranging expansion for $20, to buying individual items. When that happened, the individual items were often cosmetic. Then those cosmetic items started becoming functional items.

The boxes are randomized. Now it's a lottery, that you can toss real money at, to get a chance at a functional item.

I draw the line at mission packs/expansion packs. I'll never give a cent to any game that nickels and dimes you for bits and pieces of flair, let alone functional items. Going the step beyond and turning that into a real money game of chance seems to be where a lot of other people are drawing the line.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Holy poo poo pisss

:regd08:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

thatguy posted:

in a free to play game it is ok. In a 60 dollar game with dlc, and deluxe 100 version, 150 super deluxe version - isnt cool.

Then there are the gambling addicts that cant control themselves and keep buying them.

I dont want that poo poo in a game I just bought for 60+ bucks and gently caress no in a 120 game that still has dlc left to buy.

The there is the pay 2 win poo poo that battlefront is.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 13, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Da Mott Man posted:

If people actually cancel preorders and stick to not buying the game, EA is going to see financial backlash on both sides.

On the other hand:

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Kainser posted:

On the other hand:

This is hilarious.

No wonder game development as an industry is hosed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Digital Deluxe Edition's of any game need to die in a fire.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

!Raffle

!Refund

!Rub

The three Rs of Star Citizen, am I right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

The problem is that BF2 hits all the problems regarding lootboxes:

-Required items locked behind lootboxes (and only lootboxes)
-Tedious grind to obtain even 1 lootbox
-Overpriced
-The in-game currency or experience is earned regardless of your own performance within the game.

Its just an obvious cash grab, but hardly unique. DOTA 2 kind of had a similar system? Not sure if its still the case but you could receive loot crates that could only be unlocked by using keys. Generally speaking, they offered mostly cosmetic but I think they also had some items that could give you a minor buff(?). CS GO on the other hand seems to only have skins :shrug:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

lmfao

can't wait to see this used in court, ol' petie gabs is going DOWN

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING, COMMANDO! *chokes on a hotdog*

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I for one, just can't wait until I have to find a hadoken inside a lootbox before Ryu can use it in the next SF.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Space engineers would be cool and good if it were a little more stable and they introduced the inter-server wrap gates people (me) have been suggesting for them to add like that other have I forget the name of.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

2DCAT posted:

Is this game out yet

No, but they're trying to make everyone think that it is. We're all just here to laugh at the inevitable end which will be hilarious. Probably a couple years away still.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I just want to rub along with some hot space court action.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I read that as "painfully employed."

In this stimconomy you take what you can get!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

just lmao if you ever find yourself typing the words "I, on the other hand, can never be wrong about this" and you don't just immediately stand up, unplug your computer, and go outside.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

I for one, just can't wait until I have to find a hadoken inside a lootbox before Ryu can use it in the next SF.

This is unironically how WWE-branded Wrestling games have operated for at least a few years now.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

trucutru posted:

You should watch them a bit if you have the slightest interest in languages. Not only is Xi'an a silly mix of Mandarin and Korean but it is basically further over-complicated for no reason. There are multiple versions of "yes" and "no" that are there for no reason whatsoever. (Besides making it even more derivative of the actual languages it's aping)

Also, two different ways to ask where the toilet is, because that is really loving important

How do you say "where your game is going" in Xi'an in response

Bayonnefrog fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 13, 2017

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

trucutru posted:

Where is the blog Derek? we waiting for it.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wVyAFDx.gif[/url][/img]

Chris has an acting role before his wife?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Can't wait to see the next evolution of early-access, microtransactions and loot boxes that gamers will happily endure and ask for more.

"vote with your wallet" lmfao

e: season passes

notoriousman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 13, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

How do you say "I, on the other hand, can never be wrong about this" in Xian.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Thank you, my friend. It's not easy, for sure, at least not if you're a weirdo brokebrain like me. I can think of at least a handful of recent instances where someone was attacking not just an opinion I had stated but basically me as a person, and those times it's really hard to be like "You know what? Go gently caress yourself, I'm gonna go have dinner with my wife instead of caring about this." but honestly it's incredibly freeing.

XK put it nicely:

XK posted:

When someone makes a dumb response to you, and you've already made your point, tossing aside the impulse to respond, and being comfortable with that, is almost zen like.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dark souls... with lootbox bosses you have to buy and beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Thank you, my friend. It's not easy, for sure, at least not if you're a weirdo brokebrain like me. I can think of at least a handful of recent instances where someone was attacking not just an opinion I had stated but basically me as a person, and those times it's really hard to be like "You know what? Go gently caress yourself, I'm gonna go have dinner with my wife instead of caring about this." but honestly it's incredibly freeing.

XK put it nicely:

There's a place nearby with the best ramen + gyudon in town.

If that combo doesn't make anyone in the world zen, then they are truly brokebrained.