Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, doesn't the game outright say "you'll probably die, are you sure?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

"you'll probably die, are you sure?"

It's the only way to get the full roguelike experience

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i had to look up a guide for caves of qud because i thought you have to take the one non-slimy shaft at golgotha and i kept dying instantly

Yeah the non-slimy shaft is the elevator you come back up when you're done with the dungeon.

Technically you can use a rubbergum injector to make your body so bouncy that the fall down that shaft is less lethal but this doesn't actually guarantee survival, it just makes it more likely.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, doesn't the game outright say "you'll probably die, are you sure?"

When I make my roguelike this warning will pop up when you press "New Game"

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Somebody's been making a fork of Sil. There's been a bunch of talent changes, and a recent update did an overhaul to Smithing if anyone's interested in checking it out:

https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Adom Changelog posted:

- Bug 5633 - Drunk dwarf misinformation
- Feature 5658 - Memorial statues looking like molochs is not a good idea

There were other changes but these two are the best (for amusement value).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I can't believe how much fun I'm having with Streets of Rogue. I can't even get past the slums but I don't care because it's just raw chaos.

Hahaha, yeah, after you condition players for decades to start screaming the second they see a yellow or brown &, you need to consider carefully what else that symbol does

. . . & & . & . . .@ . . . & & & & . . .

*THUMB*

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Black August posted:

I can't believe how much fun I'm having with Streets of Rogue. I can't even get past the slums but I don't care because it's just raw chaos.

Streets of rogue has a bit of a random difficulty level in that sometimes you get the best gear and levels completing themselves due to bombs dropping on targets, but it's the kind of game that is USUALLY completely doable if you just play your cards right (you have a lot of cards even when you think you don't). Some classes are traps, though. :D

Heffer
May 1, 2003

In cogmind, what are you supposed to do on the second half of command after the big fight? I might have blown some important things up.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Sproggiwood is 80% off on steam right now, that's a criminally low price, buy it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

SnowblindFatal posted:

Streets of rogue has a bit of a random difficulty level in that sometimes you get the best gear and levels completing themselves due to bombs dropping on targets, but it's the kind of game that is USUALLY completely doable if you just play your cards right (you have a lot of cards even when you think you don't). Some classes are traps, though. :D

No class is a trap. Merely an opportunity to find new ways to destroy society with your creative potential. But yeah I mean Thief and Cannibal is way easier than most classes

As an aside I had forgotten how also embarrassing a lot of the user made boss monsters are in ADOM being waifus with lavish descriptions of how beautiful and tempting they a- WHOOPS they're just a @ and I murdered them in two hits, bye, next monster

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Fondly remembering my SOR investment banker runs where I destroyed entire cities and was literally never not on drugs

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

dylguy90 posted:

Fondly remembering my SOR investment banker runs where I destroyed entire cities and was literally never not on drugs

I had no idea this game was so grounded in reality.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

On the one hand hearing about how other people play SOR makes me feel boring. On the other I'm still punching people in the back of the head so hard they die and mostly never being caught because I'm invisible. Someday I will give the weaker classes a roll, or at least give their specials a try...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/930231920004235264

More fascinating info from Cogmind's sales model. Read his responses for yet more data, and oh yes, there is a long blog post coming at some point about this.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/930231920004235264

More fascinating info from Cogmind's sales model. Read his responses for yet more data, and oh yes, there is a long blog post coming at some point about this.

Are you a CogGoon?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Are you a CogGoon?

I play it, but I'm not a dev. Just an interested audience!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Can anyone comment on NeuroVoider? Specifically in comparison to something like Nuclear Throne or Monolith, which are my current two favorite of this particular genre.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh yeah I just picked up Dead Cells from Fanatical.com, aka what Bundlestars is now. It's 15% off but you can use the code FANATICAL10 to get an extra 10% off. That brings it to its cheapest price yet, 13 bucks. Isthereanydeal.com claims that it once went on sale for $10.50 for only a few seconds, but I don't believe them. It's also 25% off on GOG.com if you would rather do that for some reason. Evidently a huge update is about to drop, and you can access it via a beta branch right now on Steam (not GOG though)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

On the one hand hearing about how other people play SOR makes me feel boring. On the other I'm still punching people in the back of the head so hard they die and mostly never being caught because I'm invisible. Someday I will give the weaker classes a roll, or at least give their specials a try...

I tried the Gorilla and it was pretty great punching my target so hard they flew through a wall and exploded.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh yeah I just picked up Dead Cells from Fanatical.com, aka what Bundlestars is now. It's 15% off but you can use the code FANATICAL10 to get an extra 10% off. That brings it to its cheapest price yet, 13 bucks. Isthereanydeal.com claims that it once went on sale for $10.50 for only a few seconds, but I don't believe them. It's also 25% off on GOG.com if you would rather do that for some reason. Evidently a huge update is about to drop, and you can access it via a beta branch right now on Steam (not GOG though)

OH, that's what Fanatical is! I was wondering if yet another bundle site had popped up. drat, I may need to jump on that deal.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Can anyone comment on NeuroVoider? Specifically in comparison to something like Nuclear Throne or Monolith, which are my current two favorite of this particular genre.

Sure. What do you want to know (as kind of, I guess, the local NeuroVoider fan)?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Samizdata posted:

Sure. What do you want to know (as kind of, I guess, the local NeuroVoider fan)?

I just wanted someones opinion on it. There's a lot of stinkers in this genre.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Dead Cells is a lot of fun for the most part, but I'm really not a fan of them having gone even heavier in the direction of raising difficulty by relentlessly unforgiving reaction windows in this latest content update on the beta branch. Knowing exactly what a monster does and how to dodge it, but still dropping the ball most of the time because the reaction window is just so miniscule is extremely demoralizing. Watcher was always like that, but the retuned Forgotten Sepulchre and Clock Tower are just as bad that way. It's a really lazy way to make a game more challenging. No amount of practice is going to help you when you're paying attention and know exactly what to look for, but still can't pull a dodge off because you're just not fast enough on the trigger. Sucks a lot of the fun out of Clock Tower especially for me. I feel like I get boxed into playing the grenade/turret and wait game all the time.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

I had no idea this game was so grounded in reality.

It's resulted in many deaths, but I can't not love the banker mandatory requirement to be on some kind of drugs at all times, or die.

Poison, nicotine addiction, confusion and weakness all count as some form of drug. Suddenly toxic gasses are a blessing!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Toadsmash posted:

Dead Cells is a lot of fun for the most part, but I'm really not a fan of them having gone even heavier in the direction of raising difficulty by relentlessly unforgiving reaction windows in this latest content update on the beta branch. Knowing exactly what a monster does and how to dodge it, but still dropping the ball most of the time because the reaction window is just so miniscule is extremely demoralizing. Watcher was always like that, but the retuned Forgotten Sepulchre and Clock Tower are just as bad that way. It's a really lazy way to make a game more challenging. No amount of practice is going to help you when you're paying attention and know exactly what to look for, but still can't pull a dodge off because you're just not fast enough on the trigger. Sucks a lot of the fun out of Clock Tower especially for me. I feel like I get boxed into playing the grenade/turret and wait game all the time.

How is requiring actual skill and timing from the player the lazy way of making something challenging? It seems like a natural extension of the kind of game they were looking for.

Anyway, shields are extremely useful now and I think enemies like the Cannibals (the huge two-sword guys in Clock Tower) are much easier to parry than dodge. The window for parrying with your shield is pretty forgiving and the counter bonus is extremely strong, especially when you level up survival a few times. You can try that. I made it through Clock Tower on my first try (and then died to the boss after it) with liberal and aggressive use of the Counter Shield, but you can also use a shield for blocking, take the chip damage, and then hit them to recover the lost HP.

You're definitely not forced into dodging and using cooldown items.

It's alright. The big problem I have with it is the bosses are grossly overtuned compared to the rest of the game, so you'll be doing fine level by level, make it to like the third boss, and then get almost immediately obliterated because of how much harder they are. Meanwhile the rest of the game is kinda easy, but fun if you get some good guns.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 14, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if there's a place to give the devs feedback id suggest telling them its gotten a little bit too hard there, they might even not make it worse out of spite

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tollymain posted:

if there's a place to give the devs feedback id suggest telling them its gotten a little bit too hard there, they might even not make it worse out of spite

They post on the Steam discussion boards for the game and they really don't seem like that kind of dev team.

They wanted to make a hard action game, and they did, but they're not assholes about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next update made the game a bit easier though, this update changed and rebalanced pretty much everything and struck a lot of old mechanics and added new ones. But I think it's awesome and I love how hard and aggressive it is. But then again, I also love Bloodborne and this game's combat is very heavily inspired by that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I just wanted someones opinion on it. There's a lot of stinkers in this genre.

I enjoy it quite a bit. The game play tends to be fast and furious. The mechanics are pretty simple to pick up and, as you "level up" by replacing robot body parts, some of your creations can look SO amazingly awkward. In some places, the graphics can be a little frustrating as, rarely, enemies can't be the easiest to see. The energy/overheat mechanic (shooting drains energy, which can be upgradeable with the right body parts. When energy is fully drained, you overheat, which blocks recharge for a second or two, again, depending on your build). There are three starting classes (with overclocked shooting, an invulnerable dash, and an immobile but inpenetrable shield mode, respectively, but, by changing your core, you can switch whenever you want). You also pick a special ability at the beginning which is fixed for that game, and is recharged by crystals dropped by slain enemies. IMO, and no insult to any devs here, the music is amazing, channeling all the best of the shlockly 80's VHS cassettes you used to rent on the weekends.

Also, as of this point, there has still been some ongoing development past release.

Do you want to know more?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

It's alright. The big problem I have with it is the bosses are grossly overtuned compared to the rest of the game, so you'll be doing fine level by level, make it to like the third boss, and then get almost immediately obliterated because of how much harder they are. Meanwhile the rest of the game is kinda easy, but fun if you get some good guns.

Then you aren't building effectively enough. Unlike a lot of roguelikes, I have yet to see anything "cursed" so changing gear should be a regular thing. In addition, ALWAYS hit the hardest levels and side levels. That is where I have found all my "glitched" weapons (aka legendaries, I guess). I usually find using the two gun system with a smaller, less power using weapon (on primary fire) and a huge murder machine power muncher (on secondary) works well for me. It gives you enough to mop up the adds, while still being able to lay some serious pain on the bosses. In fact, I tend to die less on the bosses then I do comparetively in Nuclear Throne, Gungeon, or any other bullet-hellish roguelike. Also, whenever possible, don't be afraid to ditch a trusty old max upgrade item for something with lower stats now, but the potential for more later. I found that was one of the things making my boss deaths happen more often. Also, pick up EVERYTHING, because you can always trash it for materials for upgrades later. Speaking of upgrades, it might be tempting to dump all your upgrade materials into guns, but don't. Make sure to try to spread out among all your parts. You never know when that speed increase or enhanced cooldown (from overheat) upgrade might make all the difference.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm sure you're right, I didn't give the game a whole lot of time. :shrug:

It didn't really stand out to me much at the outset and I picked up that and Dead Cells at about the same time and that game hooked me a lot more effectively. One of these days I'll go back to it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Ok, Karmic Dragon Scale Mail is such a perfect artifact for ADOM though. Get out of here Ring of Immunity. And wtf that dagger is amazing.

I'm both excited for this new content and sad that a ton of it is probably entirely optional. Give me an extended quest mode where there are a dozen orbs or something since the last serious game I had was me trying to purpose do as much as possible to hoover up content I hadn't seen after all my years of playing, and the end result of that was "Yeah not gonna bother doing Minotaur Maze/Ice Queen/Killing the White Unicorn ever again"

Meanwhile, here is a roguelike about being a dog:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/655380/Dig_Dog/

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Appears to have a dedicated 'bark' key. GOTY.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why is that game not available until next year? :(

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
I got cool roguecel swag

This is a boxed copy of Ananias, the guy who made it brought a handful and gave them to other dev types. He goes by Slashie and runs Temple of the Roguelike. He's got a tremendous amount of roguelike enthusiasm that hasn't waned over years and years. I haven't actually tried this game yet, I was always on the fence about phone roguelikes, but I can fire this up on my PC and I will report.

And then,

Thomas handed me this and I was delighted, I thought at first it was just a fancy german engineered business card, but actually

It's a USB stick that contains the two oldest ADOM executables he could find, both from 1993, one that's linux only and another that is windows. Wow.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

How is requiring actual skill and timing from the player the lazy way of making something challenging? It seems like a natural extension of the kind of game they were looking for.

Anyway, shields are extremely useful now and I think enemies like the Cannibals (the huge two-sword guys in Clock Tower) are much easier to parry than dodge. The window for parrying with your shield is pretty forgiving and the counter bonus is extremely strong, especially when you level up survival a few times. You can try that. I made it through Clock Tower on my first try (and then died to the boss after it) with liberal and aggressive use of the Counter Shield, but you can also use a shield for blocking, take the chip damage, and then hit them to recover the lost HP.

You're definitely not forced into dodging and using cooldown items.

Reflexes != skill. I've done Watcher enough times to know exactly what he does (I've killed him already multiple times, for the record), but I still screw up dodging his charge over half the time because I'm looking for it, I see it coming, I know EXACTLY how I need to dodge it, but I screw it up anyway just because the time between the warning he's about to do it and when it actually executes is so tiny I just can't react fast enough. That doesn't have anything to do with skill. Your reflexes are either fast enough to get it done in time or they're not. That is terrible design to me. It's the brute force approach to raising difficulty. For the vast majority of the game, when I take a hit, it's because of some combination of screwing up my own attack timing/positioning or just not paying attention, and if I die in those situations, I know exactly what I should've done differently. "Sorry, you just can't react fast enough" is not a problem I can do anything about, and I have a frustratingly high number of late game deaths now that feel that way.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

madjackmcmad posted:

It's a USB stick that contains the two oldest ADOM executables he could find, both from 1993, one that's linux only and another that is windows. Wow.

You lucky gently caress

Dr. Dos posted:

Ok, Karmic Dragon Scale Mail is such a perfect artifact for ADOM though. Get out of here Ring of Immunity. And wtf that dagger is amazing.

I'm both excited for this new content and sad that a ton of it is probably entirely optional. Give me an extended quest mode where there are a dozen orbs or something since the last serious game I had was me trying to purpose do as much as possible to hoover up content I hadn't seen after all my years of playing, and the end result of that was "Yeah not gonna bother doing Minotaur Maze/Ice Queen/Killing the White Unicorn ever again"

Meanwhile, here is a roguelike about being a dog:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/655380/Dig_Dog/

I feel the same way. A lot of ADOM's optional content is just useless dead ends or traps that drain resources, often ones you need an enormous amount of, for little return. He made the Maze worth it for a bit, and then nerfed the rewards down again, meaning I will never visit it after that one time I did! Plus half the content ends with you corrupted, which is a death clock, and so you never have ANY REASON TO DO IT. Even as a Chaos Knight, who still dies to corruption. Some kind of Ultimate End mode where you have to complete everything as part of the main quest would be really great.

I mean poo poo. The angel quest sounds awesome but it will only be done once, ever, because the rewards is a bunch of cursed corrupting trash and you need to kill valuable allies to get it.

Black August fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 14, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mentioning a dog roguelike without bringing up Fidel, c'mon thread!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Toadsmash posted:

Reflexes != skill.

How on earth do you reach this conclusion?

I do better now at games like Dead Cells and Bloodborne than I did when I first started playing them, is it because my reflexes got faster or is it because I got better at the game? :thunk:

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Champion athletes have no skills this is a well established fact.

With that said, I find that the more mental skills that turn based games require you to develop are more satisfying to hone. Then again, I am a lazy piece of poo poo who sits in a chair all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

How on earth do you reach this conclusion?

I do better now at games like Dead Cells and Bloodborne than I did when I first started playing them, is it because my reflexes got faster or is it because I got better at the game? :thunk:

Bloodborne or any other Souls game is quite possibly one of the worst examples you could use to make that argument. I've probably put over a thousand hours into the Souls games combined and even early on never felt like "you didn't react fast enough" was why I was failing at something, even in PVP. I never said you can't get better at the game. I think reaction times to an extent are a learnable skill in the early going when you're trying to learn the basic muscle memory for a game, but that only goes so far.

Shrug. It's still subjective. I just think there are far better ways to ratchet up difficulty tuning, even in a platformer/quasi fighting game.