Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Simply by the scale of London, a huge amount of time and resources every day is wasted just moving people around to where they need to be. It is not efficient for people to be travelling multiple hours per day because they can't afford to live closer to their work.

You also end up with situations like in Cambridge, where the direct rail link to London has somewhat turned it into a satellite town. This results in the house prices shooting up, pricing out many people who actually work in Cambridge, meaning that people who work in Cambridge now generally live in the surrounding villages, which then has further knock on effects for people in the rest of the county.

"This is inevitable" is a cry you and ronya have made, but it's clearly not if we look at other major nations. It is an inevitable consequence of the death of UK industry (~25% GVA in the 1970's, ~10% today - compare to Germany's ~30% today), but taking that as read is clearly nonsense.

Centralization has knock on benefits for reducing costs as well. It's really cool and good for the centre to have a well educated and mobile population but it means lifting and shifting an arbitrary company outside of London is a waste. That said, many companies are using Manchester Birmingham and other second cities as back offices.

Really, the odd thing is that britain has so many major cities for such a small population. Some of them are necessarily going to wane. It's sort of like rurals complaining that they don't have good broadband but that's because they're miles away from infrastructure and have to live with the benefits and drawbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

CoolCab posted:

to expand upon this a bit, it's really amazing to me to hear people (justifiably) being terrified of brexit and also then going "no london needs to keep all the money because they make all the money "

these two things are directly correlated - so long as there are more people outside of london then in it and there is ludicrous wealth disparity, you are going to have a huge mass of people who will vote against it literally out of spite. what - are they going to double starve?
I agree with this except, but the last bit bothers me when I see people saying it IRL. Brexiteers in run-down ex-industrial towns say they have nothing to lose but they don't know what they're talking about. Ask the Greeks. They actually have plenty to lose, though (as someone who grew up in the rural South West) it doesn't often feel that way.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Fans posted:

I could take a plane to a London and have a few pints and return and still not hit this figure. Who’s spending £110 on a night out every week?

Cocktails and pub food are all stupidly expensive here. I once got charged 12(!)pounds for a double jack and coke. Nobody should be drinking in central london.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Miftan posted:

Cocktails and pub food are all stupidly expensive here. I once got charged 12(!)pounds for a double jack and coke. Nobody should be drinking in central london.

This is already driving young people out of London and coupled with brexit many businesses have discovered they need to compete for labour by paying people not-poo poo.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ewan posted:

To many, a night out is not "a few pints". At £5 a pint and £8-13 a cocktail (before you even consider nightclub drink prices), it doesn't take long for a night out to hit £100+, and that's before you consider food. London nights out are eye wateringly expensive. I've had many £100+ nights out and if I was more reckless could easily have made it a weekly habit (albeit one that would have bankrupted me).
I cleared most of the raid content in World of Warcraft and its first two expansions in my 20s at least partly because London nightlife was retardedly expensive and £8.99 a month to farm bear anuses with your housemates was much better value by comparison, even if you splashed out on a £12 crate of Tesco's own-brand stubbies cos it was a Saturday night

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Another reason why people moving away from London is good. You can have a pretty decent night out in plenty of Northern towns for £30, plus you can probably afford to live close enough to the bars that you don't need to sell a kidney for the taxi home.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there any way to reverse this? Because at the moment we’re a monoculture economy staring down the financial equivalent of the Irish potato blight.

Hard to say: by definition we don't really notice when states evade this sort of fate. There's no solid point of no return, so if Jam Man gets in he may well succeed if he takes a zero-tolerance approach to corruption and heavily invests in places that aren't London. The zero tolerance part is absolutely necessary though: nobody can get things done whilst external actors can stack committees, buy MPs etc. Essentially GB's problem is that it is eating itself and that it should stop.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Darth Walrus posted:

So that’s what, twelve cocktails or twenty pints? In a night? For you alone?

Are you... sure you don’t want to talk to someone about this? :stare:
I'm not saying it's good or acceptable but 5 cocktails, 5 pints, perhaps a jaegerbomb or two, is a pretty standard night out for a guy working in London in his 20s. And then you have £15 for a kebab and chips and £20 for a taxi.... (and obviously those in the City will perhaps be spending on other goods too, and/or ballin' it with £60 bottles of prosecco).
There's a reason binge drinking among young British adults is considered a genuine health crisis.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ewan posted:

£15 for a kebab and chips

OK this is the most concerning thing I've read so far on the topic of London nights out.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

the secret to a good night out is to never have a kebab

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I know people who drink that much but they always use cheap alcohol from the supermarket rather than buying it all on-site.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Save money on alcohol with this one weird trick discovered by an Irish farmer. Revenuers hate him!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ewan posted:

And then you have £15 for a kebab and chips

Mate. Never have I felt more pity towards Londoner. Struggling to imagine someone paying more than £6 on kebab and chips in Glasgow.

But yeah, pre-gaming seems essential to a London night out.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Save money on alcohol with this one weird trick discovered by an Irish farmer. Revenuers hate him!
Someone in this very thread posted a pretty comprehensive guide to home-brewed beer and wine a few threads back. Pretty good for pre-loading to save money on a London night out. Assuming you can find anywhere in your 78 sq ft executive bedsit to put the tubs.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Just take ecstasy it is cheaper, safer, and also more fun. Just don’t do it all the time.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Zephro posted:

This is the saddest thing I'll read today.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Least liked, least disliked. So least relevant.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Fans posted:

I could take a plane to a London and have a few pints and return and still not hit this figure. Who’s spending £110 on a night out every week?

coke heads

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Good kebabs is one of the only things I miss about London. What have they trebled I price in 10 years? Are overseas investors buying them all up?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ewan posted:

And then you have £15 for a kebab and chips

Hold up I've been living here for about 5 years, where do you even get these artisinal kebabs for 15 pounds?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Miftan posted:

Hold up I've been living here for about 5 years, where do you even get these artisinal kebabs for 15 pounds?

kebab + chips + a can of fizzy something?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Exciting charity news!

Tommy Robinson turns philanthropist as he is named charity’s Goodwill Ambassador

https://london-post.co.uk/tommy-robinson-turns-philanthropist-as-he-is-named-charitys-goodwill-ambassador/

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Miftan posted:

Served on the finest hand-stretched sourdough pita, with only hand-turned gyro-heated meat from organic cornfed freerange pig. TBH I plucked the £15 figure out of my arse, but you can easily be north of £10 for a large doner and chips. Also these days people in London often like to get their 2am food hit from places like Five Guys or US-style diners where you will actually easily be paying £15+.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

kebab + chips + a can of fizzy something?

You can get a kebab, chips and soft drink pretty much everywhere in zone 1 for £5/6.

I guess there are bespoke kebab places around, but they're more Mediterranean restaurants tbh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zephro posted:

you don't get to see the kebab shop workers jump the counter and wave the large kebab shaviong knife at someone tryingt o start poo poo if you do that

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You can get a kebab, chips and soft drink pretty much everywhere in zone 1 for £5/6.

I guess there are bespoke kebab places around, but they're more Mediterranean restaurants tbh.
Out of curiosity, where? I lived and played in Zone 1 for several years and one of the things that surprised me having come from a smaller town was how difficult it was to find any sort of kebab place (cheap or expensive) open past midnight in any of the hotspots like Soho, Shoreditch, etc. There was one popular one in Shoreditch near Old St station, but otherwise most other places just didn't seem to have them.

London in general is pretty poo poo for going out out (not just going out, but out out) tbh. The way it is decentralised means you have to plan ahead - bar hopping is pretty difficult and everywhere seems to close stupidly early.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 14, 2017

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Firos posted:

Just take ecstasy it is cheaper, safer, and also more fun. Just don’t do it all the time.

Half a gram of mandy, some rollies and a good breakcore rave is all you need for a good night out.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ewan posted:

London in general is pretty poo poo for going out out (not just going out, but out out) tbh. The way it is decentralised means you have to plan ahead - bar hopping is pretty difficult and everywhere seems to close stupidly early.

My man, we have the night tube now

don't do it, it's not worth it

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That article is ridiculous but some of the posts in this thread almost justified it. If you think nothing of spending £15 on a kebab or a tenner in Pret every day, well, that's your own choice, but then the people saying that aren't the same people complaining about house prices, are they?

Also apparently it's completely normal to buy over a tenner's worth of lottery tickets every single week. Or are they three times the price in London too??

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's classic poisonous conservative garbage logic though. It's OK that young people are earning less, spending more on rent and have to pay vastly more to own a house than previous generations because they buy some luxuries so it's all their fault.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Whoops

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/930401855565455360

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The best bit is the articles math doesn’t come close to the £60,000 it needs over five years and that’s already after getting £30,000 from your parents.

To do it alone you’d have to spend 15 years living on basics with no social life for a deposit and that’s only if you’re already wasting huge amounts of money that can be saved in the first place. No wonder no fucker can be bothered

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My partner was away for the night once so I had an affair thought gently caress it, bought a crate of beers and a doner on the way home from work, ate the whole thing sober, then sat and played videogames and got drunk by myself. It was actually a really good time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I used to live in Bristol (I truly miss it) and there was a small kebab shop near me that did the most amazing chips and cheese for £2.50.

I have never had a nicer one anywhere else in the UK.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's classic poisonous conservative garbage logic though. It's OK that young people are earning less, spending more on rent and have to pay vastly more to own a house than previous generations because they buy some luxuries so it's all their fault.

Let me tell you, these young people are whining because house prices are 20x their salaries when their parents bought for 3x, but have you seen their IPHONES and their POSH COFFEES?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

The best bit is the articles math doesn’t come close to the £60,000 it needs over five years and that’s already after getting £30,000 from your parents.

To do it alone you’d have to spend 15 years living on basics with no social life for a deposit and that’s only if you’re already wasting huge amounts of money that can be saved in the first place. No wonder no fucker can be bothered

Orwell posted:

Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw?
Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots.
And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn't.
Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let's have three pennorth of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and we'll all have a nice cup of tea!
Nothing ever changes.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

VideoGames posted:

I used to live in Bristol (I truly miss it) and there was a small kebab shop near me that did the most amazing chips and cheese for £2.50.

I have never had a nicer one anywhere else in the UK.
Phoenix Pizza in north London (somewhere near the Haringey Ladder, we never actually went to the shop) would do takeout pizzas for £2 on some nights. We never tried to think too much about what went into them, but they had salt and fat and grease so it was all good really.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you do somehow get this deposit in your late thirties isn’t the mortgage going to be pretty loving crippling anyway?

London seems like a bad place to buy a house.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fans posted:

London seems like a bad place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ewan posted:

I'm not saying it's good or acceptable but 5 cocktails, 5 pints, perhaps a jaegerbomb or two, is a pretty standard

twelve loving drinks (presuming the cocktails are on the light side) is a literally dangerous amount of booze for one person to drink.

when I overspend it’s because I’m buying drinks for other people- i’d be puking if I was lucky after that amount

• Locked thread