Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Time to start a #breakyourorigin campaign, it'll be like break your keurig, but you just burn origin.exe onto a cd and break that. That'll show 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
But that would cost me 30 cents!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
would also require physical media and a burner, something that most turbonerds haven't had for a decade at this point

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I still have an optical drive in my tower that gets used maybe once a year.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

My laptop has an optical drive that a copy of dune 2000 is permanently in. I don't know where I got it from lol

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I'm still upset about preordering it. Andromeda that is.

You.

I was dead set on avoiding Andromeda, but you talked it up so much on the launch day that I caved like the undisciplined nerd I am, and forked over full price for that turd of a game.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Never preorder anything. Why is this so hard.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Everyone in the thread: DON'T BUY MASS EFFECT

TWO FINGERS: OK BUYING MASS EFFECT

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Amazon gives me a 12 dollar discount for preorder Games

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Time gives me huge discounts

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm still upset about preordering it. Andromeda that is.

I got it for $12 off Amazon a few weeks ago and haven't bothered starting it up

I'm really close to buying the new rear end Creed and putting it on the top of my backlog

I wish I had more time to play multiplayer games with you guys :( I had a good time chatting on Discord and playing Rising Storm/PUBG but since I started school again my gaming sessions have been pretty sporadic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Time gives me huge discounts

Patience is the ultimate discount code.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Arc Light posted:

You.

I was dead set on avoiding Andromeda, but you talked it up so much on the launch day that I caved like the undisciplined nerd I am, and forked over full price for that turd of a game.

I had over 300 hours in me3 multi and probably a dozen full trilogy playthroughs
I loved the series

:smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had over 300 hours in me3 multi and probably a dozen full trilogy playthroughs
I loved the series

:smith:

You... you did 36 playthroughs?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Probably. I had a hell of a lot. More in me2 than the others but I got all the playthrough achievements in me1 which is like 5 or 6 right there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got 1000/1000 achievements for ME/1/2/3 so yeah same. At least for ME1, those 'play the majority of the story quests with x character' were a loving bastard.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Andromeda was okay to kill some time. It felt Mass Effecty enough in some bits for it to not be a complete waste of money. But it was nowhere near as interesting or fun as ME2/3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vasudus posted:

I got 1000/1000 achievements for ME/1/2/3 so yeah same. At least for ME1, those 'play the majority of the story quests with x character' were a loving bastard.

Yeah I mean no one actually likes Tali. Garrus/Wrex 4 life

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah I mean no one actually likes Tali. Garrus/Wrex 4 life

Truth. Although admittedly in ME2 I went with Grunt/Miranda for the most part. Because you have to have a Krogan, and well, dat rear end.

ME3's biggest downfall was no Krogan squadmate outside of the Citadel DLC.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:sicknasty:

:zaeed:

:colbert:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was Wrex/Garrus for ME1, then Grunt/Garrus and Miranda/Garrus for ME2. I think for 3 I was that prothean + garrus. I only did like 1.5 playthroughs of ME3 and did none of the DLC.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

gently caress PERMADEATH GOD drat IT

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So I wanted to compare how predatory battlefront 2 is. I didn't compare it to phone or asian games since those are super bad but instead picked 3 very grindy f2p games.

Wargaming World of Tanks
Most expensive item right now is a bundle at 133.99 for 3 tanks or a single tank at 100.57 (on sale -20% for 79.99) while the cheapest vehicle is 5.79

Gaijin War Thunder
Most expensive item is a tank at 49.99 and cheapest is a starter pack for 6.99

Digital Extremes Warframe
Most expensive warframe is a bundle for 835 plat (about 50 bucks) and least expensive warframe is 275 plat (about 20 bucks)

Each one of those are f2p and known for being grindy and greedy. Each of these things you buy you can play every match.

EA Battlefront 2
A hero from is approximately 65 dollars worth of credits from loot boxes

You can only play that hero some times. Also the game costs 60 dollars. Also they limit your gains in match by time spent and so prepare for botting.

Capitalism owns.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I don't remember the details but there is some sort of hero limit per round/game or idk so yeah it's even more limited

FrozenVent posted:

Never preorder anything. Why is this so hard.

but then I won't get that lovely non-animated PS4 theme

Amazon pre-order discounts are good for games I only wanna play through once, definitely.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Arcade mode, which I think is off line mode, is limited to 5 times a day.

Online mode has no limit but you don't get gains for doing well, you get gains for time in the hole like an hourly wage.

It will take 72 hours to get the credits in multiplayer to get the 3 epic star cards you need for 1 class. There are multiple classes and ships.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I remain confident that GGG's Path of Exile microtransaction system is the only F2P/freemium system that isn't horrible.

edit: for those unfamilar

Path of Exile is 100% free in that the entire game, every class, every aspect is always available and there's no boosts, loot boxes, auction house, or item shop. You have 24 character slots (thats A LOT, I just hit my cap because I'm lazy with deleting old characters and I've been playing for 4+ years) and there's literally nothing you can't do. You start with 6 stash tabs that are account/league-wide that are unrenamable and are simply labeled 1-6, they store all item types. What they sell are:

Additional character spots (how the gently caress does anybody need this, ever?)
Alternate skill effects (want your fireball spell to be cool dragons instead of, well, a fireball? 3 dollars and you have it forever and only need one)
Armor/weapon skins; sometimes sold as part of a set (including a discount for buying the whole set) or just one-off items. They are applied over whatever equipment you have.
Stash tabs. You can buy more of the default stash tabs, you can buy premium tabs that you can move, rename, change color, and have you items listed on the trade API (this is a big one, but 6 tabs costs like 6 dollars) and you can buy things like the currency stash tab which stores more currency and has dedicated spots for them.
Pets/other misc. cosmetic effects

Their primary moneymakers are stash tabs and "Supporter Packs" which are packs that cost anywhere from 30-450 dollars and rotate every 3 months . These supporter packs come with roughly 90% of the value in store points, plus a limited edition armor skin set. So for 60 bucks you get like 55 bucks in points, a full set of a themed cosmetic armor skin, a forums title and sometimes physical goods like a t-shirt if you want it, otherwise they give more points. During the 3 month pack rotation, any and all purchases you make are totaled up and you can upgrade your pack for whatever the difference is. For example this league I got the 160 dollar pack, then bought some other poo poo, and upgrading to the 240 dollar pack cost me like 30 bucks or something.

There are a considerable amount of people that have played for years and years and spent either no money at all, or maybe 5-10 bucks on some premium stash tabs and a currency tab and that's it.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 15, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

420 punch reporters e'ryday

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I remain confident that GGG's Path of Exile microtransaction system is the only F2P/freemium system that isn't horrible.

edit: for those unfamilar

Path of Exile is 100% free in that the entire game, every class, every aspect is always available and there's no boosts, loot boxes, auction house, or item shop. You have 24 character slots (thats A LOT, I just hit my cap because I'm lazy with deleting old characters and I've been playing for 4+ years) and there's literally nothing you can't do. You start with 6 stash tabs that are account/league-wide that are unrenamable and are simply labeled 1-6, they store all item types. What they sell are:

Additional character spots (how the gently caress does anybody need this, ever?)
Alternate skill effects (want your fireball spell to be cool dragons instead of, well, a fireball? 3 dollars and you have it forever and only need one)
Armor/weapon skins; sometimes sold as part of a set (including a discount for buying the whole set) or just one-off items. They are applied over whatever equipment you have.
Stash tabs. You can buy more of the default stash tabs, you can buy premium tabs that you can move, rename, change color, and have you items listed on the trade API (this is a big one, but 6 tabs costs like 6 dollars) and you can buy things like the currency stash tab which stores more currency and has dedicated spots for them.
Pets/other misc. cosmetic effects

Their primary moneymakers are stash tabs and "Supporter Packs" which are packs that cost anywhere from 30-450 dollars and rotate every 3 months . These supporter packs come with roughly 90% of the value in store points, plus a limited edition armor skin set. So for 60 bucks you get like 55 bucks in points, a full set of a themed cosmetic armor skin, a forums title and sometimes physical goods like a t-shirt if you want it, otherwise they give more points. During the 3 month pack rotation, any and all purchases you make are totaled up and you can upgrade your pack for whatever the difference is. For example this league I got the 160 dollar pack, then bought some other poo poo, and upgrading to the 240 dollar pack cost me like 30 bucks or something.

There are a considerable amount of people that have played for years and years and spent either no money at all, or maybe 5-10 bucks on some premium stash tabs and a currency tab and that's it.

I think I have a frog pet from back before the game came out

Maybe I should get back into it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

God. loving. drat. It.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's right side up and has a low range gear you have nothing to complain about

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i bought a ps vita like a year after it came out not really expecting much game-wise, but basically hopefully being a overpowered PSP in terms of emulating once it got hacked. I missed out on getting a Game Boy Micro when they were on clearance, and i still cant stomach the ebay prices

anyways, ps vita 3.60 firmware got broken enough to run gamedumps downloaded to a memory card. Sony threw the 3.61 firmware update switch for World of Final Fantasy, but the nerds figured it was in name only, and was able to get that working. Not much else came out since then, so you have pretty much the full library of games to download. also they were able to get a persistent jailbreak so you don't have to activate it every time you restart the system

you can run a psp instance as well to run PSP isos and all the emulators/apps made for PSP, and you can run ps1 isos through it

also someone figured out how to use a microSD card in the card port and made $10 pcb's to basically be able to download just about anything ever onto it and use it as the system memory. some other nerds make their own store and you can download pretty much any vita game you want directly to the system, generate a fake license, and get it fully updated by PSN

its pretty loving rad imo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

It's right side up and has a low range gear you have nothing to complain about

loving trees. I tried backing up but I got stuck with the back wheels above the ground. I had the moped in the back so I guess I could have just ridden home to get the tractor, but I ragequit instead.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You'll get out of there. If you're really, truly stuck, use MCSeditor to move the truck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah I don't remember the details but there is some sort of hero limit per round/game or idk so yeah it's even more limited

but then I won't get that lovely non-animated PS4 theme

Amazon pre-order discounts are good for games I only wanna play through once, definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJ00RVgBGw

This is probably the most well done animated theme I've seen for PS4 menu, and it doesn't even cost anything.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

420 punch reporters e'ryday

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I bought a Rez PS4 theme cause Rez is loving sick

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
This is easily the best PS4 theme.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

drat ea got some manchildren real riled up over wookie lootboxes that theyre making facebook memes out of it