Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't like making assumptions about the level of passion creators allegedly don't or don't have. It just gets into his really thorny area where people use it to say things about creators that don't really have much corroboration beyond what people interpret.

I mean, I'm not doubting that Hashimoto isn't extremely enthusiastic, but it's more when people talk about other teams or figures involved with Sonic that may or may not have been as vocal or vocal in the same ways as he was. I see it a lot about Kishimoto and Iizuka in particular, and it just doesn't sit well with me.

Iizuka especially, since he's basically spent his whole career associated with this character, and how I've observed him at live events. People really want him to be a man that sees Sonic as "just a job" at best, and like that one parody account in real life at worst.

Yeah I understand, since people can express themselves differently. I just think that seeing genuine enthusiasm, the kind that really feels real and not just generically positive statements, have been missing a lot from the AAA development stories for years. Nowadays, it's the kind of thing I feel like I see only from indie/small studios.

And that kind of enthusiasm can help public perception feel better even when times aren't great. It makes me think of Ono from Capcom during SF4 times; I didn't like SF4 or any of it's revisions and didn't like the direction Capcom was going, but Ono was always so goddamn happy and enthusiastic and crazy and genuine that I couldn't help but root for him and SF4 in general. Then we get to some real poo poo like SF5 where Capcom has been terrible, but Ono can still make me smile with stuff like this which makes me hold onto hope that Capcom will be alright.

I just feel like that kind of enthusiasm can really help in times like this when we have a game like Forces that makes us wonder "what happened"? I hate to parrot fandom arguments, but you really can feel a difference between the way Forces was handled and Mania, and that is what has me worried about where the series is gonna go after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The only thing I personally "feel" on that front is that Mania clearly had much less obstacles to its production and vision. I played Forces and it doesn't feel like a joyless, loveless affair, but rather a very flawed one. But that comes with the disclaimer that I liked it, and the parts about it that people find divisive or bad are things that have always resonated with me as a Sonic fan (like the more serious story).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be honest there are only 2 Sonic games I have never played solely on principle (Sonic Shuffle because I've never really cared for the Mario Party series and from what I've seen this is somehow even worse, and Sonic Free Riders because the Kinect was a terrible idea to begin with and the game just doesn't look fun to play in general) and for the rest the only ones I never got any sort of enjoyment out of were Sonic Labyrinth and Rise of Lyric.

Generally I've always been a bit more lenient with this series than most, there are parts of '06 I liked such as Blaze, some of the boss fights, the concept behind Silver's abilities if not the execution, some of Sonic and Shadow's stages minus the Mach Speed, Snowboarding, and Vehicle segments (though the hovercraft and hang glider weren't quite as bad as the rest to be fair) and I not only had fun playing Black Knight but actually thought it was better than Secret Rings in nearly every aspect.

It's not perfect by any stretch but I don't think Forces was a bad game either (though Mission 25 where you're scaling the tower as the Avatar can go gently caress itself and there are parts in some of Modern Sonic's later stages where you almost have to walk the whole way across as the slightest increase in speed will launch you off the side of the area).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 15, 2017

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jarogue posted:

You can try to buy things with normal Rings that your Chao finds but if you want to raise them right you going to need to buy some Red Rings

5 for $1
10+1 free $3.99
20+5 free $7.99
100 + 25 free & rare egg 39.99 (Best Value!)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Adventures games have a problem reconciling high player movement speed and responsiveness with a 3D movement setting. It's why players are constantly thrown off by camera switches, or the controls cause people to "careen off into space". It's also why games starting with the Adventures series tried to functionally remove an axis from the set they have to work with, either at all (in cases where the axis and camera are locked), or indirectly, using the level design (why many Sonic/Shadow levels in the Adventures series still have a "tube floating in space" feel). All subsequent design approaches to Sonic have struggled with this and related issues (like player perception) in different ways, to varying degrees of success.

I mean most of those problems are less caused by the controls themselves and moreso caused by the moments when the game elects to take control away from you in one way or the other. The camera is hard to work with because the game is trying to force it to a certain position.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Augus posted:

Has anyone made Pepsiman yet

Done and done.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How do you get the blue version of that bodysuit?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sonic Heroes is older now than Sonic 1 was when Heroes came out

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think a big part of the "automation" problem in Boost Games is how the homing attack behaves. Homing Attacks should feel the way homing into a balloon in Rooftop Run Modern does - you carry your momentum and direction with you as you bounce off. But 90% of the time, the Homing Attack (or even normally bouncing on an enemy) brings you to a total stop.

Compare, say, Spectre of Torment in Shovel Knight. Lock-on-based Homing Attack, complete with reticule, but you have speed coming out of it that you don't have in most cases in the Boost games.

If momentum is conserved through enemy impacts, the game retains its managable pace at low speeds while demanding more intense reactions and/or more precise intent when you crank your speed up.

I have a bunch of ideas for how to make Boost Sonic less automated while retaining its sense of speed and twitch reaction, honestly. I might effortpost about them.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 15, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Xad posted:

Not that I don't like boost gameplay, but couldn't they just...go back to Adventure-style levels and speeds? Wouldn't that let them make smaller levels that still take a decent amount of time to beat?

The whole "they should just go back to the Adventure style... but Do It Good This Time" thing comes up a lot, as if they just weren't trying before, but it ain't that simple: 3D action games are not easy to make, 3D platformers with fast, granular characters are especially difficult to make and Sonic Team has displayed little to no aptitude for that style of game in a long time, if ever.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Larryb posted:

To be honest there are only 2 Sonic games I have never played solely on principle (Sonic Shuffle because I've never really cared for the Mario Party series and from what I've seen this is somehow even worse, and Sonic Free Riders because the Kinect was a terrible idea to begin with and the game just doesn't look fun to play in general) and for the rest the only ones I never got any sort of enjoyment out of were Sonic Labyrinth and Rise of Lyric.

Generally I've always been a bit more lenient with this series than most, there are parts of '06 I liked such as Blaze, some of the boss fights, the concept behind Silver's abilities if not the execution, some of Sonic and Shadow's stages minus the Mach Speed, Snowboarding, and Vehicle segments (though the hovercraft and hang glider weren't quite as bad as the rest to be fair) and I not only had fun playing Black Knight but actually thought it was better than Secret Rings in nearly every aspect.

It's not perfect by any stretch but I don't think Forces was a bad game either (though Mission 25 where you're scaling the tower as the Avatar can go gently caress itself and there are parts in some of Modern Sonic's later stages where you almost have to walk the whole way across as the slightest increase in speed will launch you off the side of the area).

Everyone seems to hate Imperial Tower but I never found it that bad myself, plus it has that kickass anime track. If you really want you can just go in with Hover and skip 99% of the stage.

I also now realize that after all these years I still haven't played or even really seen even a tiny bit of either Secret Rings or Black Knight. I really oughta fix that some day or another.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Everyone seems to hate Imperial Tower but I never found it that bad myself, plus it has that kickass anime track. If you really want you can just go in with Hover and skip 99% of the stage.

I also now realize that after all these years I still haven't played or even really seen even a tiny bit of either Secret Rings or Black Knight. I really oughta fix that some day or another.

Secret Rings is godawful

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

I played Forces and it doesn't feel like a joyless, loveless affair, but rather a very flawed one.

The more I think about, I think the problem for me on this game is that it doesn't have obvious problems or flaws looking at things individually. But when you compare those things to how the rest of the series did things, you see the lack of passion. And that lack of passion carries over to everything about this game. Like everything that should be there is in place, and none of it is really bad, but none of it ever feels right.

There's a lot it has that it shares with the other games. It has a more serious story that's lightened up with occasional comedy (Adventure 2, Unleashed). It has music that's separately stylized per character play style (Adventure 2, Unleashed, Generations). The levels graphically follow a progression of increasing technology and devastation from Eggman (most every 2D sonic, kinda Adventure 2). Revisits familiar zones and areas but done in different ways (Generations, Mania). Boost gameplay with alt paths and all around cool feelings that make think "Yeah, this is a Sonic game" (the boost games obv).

But in each of these aspects, they don't reach what those games really tried. A more serious story needs to have some sort of character arc to follow on to show growth or have an impact, but the Avatar only has 1 scene like that which only feels weird, and Infinite doesn't have any resolution at all (even Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes felt like he had something after you beat him). The music has different styles, but the focus on super odd synths for Modern/Classic sonic are downright bizzare compared to the differentiation from other games. The levels progressively show more technology, but the environments are so drab that they often feel similar and lifeless (Death Egg, Chemical Plant, Metropolis, and Eggman Empire Fortress in particular). Nothing felt the same in revisiting the old areas so it felt almost pointless. Gameplay just never feels satisfying due to the short levels, and while alt paths exist they don't feel significant.

There's still a lot I like in all of that. I like Infinite in his dorky way and liked the Illusions stuff. There are lots of good individual songs. Luminous Forest is a cool looking zone. I like playing a bunch of levels like Metropolitan Highway, despite my big problems with them. But when I put it all together, and compare it to what I see from the other games, all these things just feel like they didn't have any similar strong creative vision or heart behind it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The whole "they should just go back to the Adventure style... but Do It Good This Time" thing comes up a lot, as if they just weren't trying before, but it ain't that simple: 3D action games are not easy to make, 3D platformers with fast, granular characters are especially difficult to make and Sonic Team has displayed little to no aptitude for that style of game in a long time, if ever.

Yeah it's not an easy thing to answer, and it's not helped by the Adventure model having a fair amount of rosy-glassed nostalgia by now. Even comparing it to Mario, the portions of Mario people hate/have the most trouble with are...speed sections. Specifically, foot races and sections that require precision platforming while maintaining momentum, the latter of which are usually reserved for super late game or post-game optional content, at least in recent entries.

There isn't any real easy answer for a lot of reasons that have been explored to death by now, so I'm not holding my breath for a "real" solution to the 3D dilemma in the near future. At this point my only real hope is that Sonic Mania performing so comparatively well (review-wise, at least, I don't know if they've dropped sales numbers) tells Sega as a company "No, Sonic 4 didn't fail because people don't want 2D anymore, it was just a really bad game" and they can start throwing people on 2D offerings that focus on good retro-style gameplay and responsive controls over games that look pretty as you hold down the boost button to run past everything.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DoctorWhat posted:

I think a big part of the "automation" problem in Boost Games is how the homing attack behaves. Homing Attacks should feel the way homing into a balloon in Rooftop Run Modern does - you carry your momentum and direction with you as you bounce off. But 90% of the time, the Homing Attack (or even normally bouncing on an enemy) brings you to a total stop.

Compare, say, Spectre of Torment in Shovel Knight. Lock-on-based Homing Attack, complete with reticule, but you have speed coming out of it that you don't have in most cases in the Boost games.

If momentum is conserved through enemy impacts, the game retains its managable pace at low speeds while demanding more intense reactions and/or more precise intent when you crank your speed up.

I have a bunch of ideas for how to make Boost Sonic less automated while retaining its sense of speed and twitch reaction, honestly. I might effortpost about them.

I think you should go ahead with the effort post (cause thinking is fun), but I'm not sure I agree with your first point. At least, I agree about keeping momentum from homing attacks would help, but I don't think they're the main problem with feeling "automated".

It's difficult to diagnose because often people aren't specific about what parts are/aren't feeling automated, but to me I always thought it was the long gimmick running/grinding/etc sections that are everywhere in each of these games. It's stuff like the bobsled in Cool Edge, or the roller coasters in Asteroid Coaster, or the dumb kart riding portion from Seaside Hill in Generations. It's from all the times you get those extended running parts with the 3 flapper enemies that shoot lasers at you, or the various several big robots that chase you because every level needs it's own Orca whale.

All these levels constantly have poo poo like this, and it's almost always the same thing, and it's almost always very minimal involvement or decision making beyond basic reflexes, and those decisions mostly don't lead anywhere new. This is why Terminal Velocity is extremely boring in Colors because it's purely this for the whole level.

I get why this stuff exists, but it feels like it happens way more often than it should, and will never be as cool as when you discover/pull of a trick to get onto an alt pathway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chasing three robots that shoot lasers is a thing I could never see again and he happier for it

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Someone best not be dissing the Gun Truck.

The Gun Truck will find out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I mean, I don't think they've shown a particular level of aptitude for any style of game, at least not recently.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think they just need to spend a year or so experimenting with physics and control models in sandbox levels made of blank cubes and curves they can fiddle with.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Augus posted:

I mean, I don't think they've shown a particular level of aptitude for any style of game, at least not recently.

That's kinda my point - do people really think the team that flubbed the new boost game has the chops to make a good Adventure-style game? The team that made the Adventure games barely knew how to do it and got worse at it with every game, and Sonic Team 2017 ain't poo poo compared to them.

They tried pivoting to a new style of 3D Sonic and it flopped, they let a western team make a new 3D game with their own formula and it mega-flopped, they tried going back to what works and they messed that up too. There's no easy solution to the problem.

I do think they should go back to A/B'ing Sonic Team games with other games every couple years, but even that has problems, not least of all Sega's reluctance/inability to spend a lot of money. Like, they used to have HD games, Wii games, handheld games and spinoffs like Mario & Sonic, Sonic Racing, etc but that's pretty much contracted to consoles/PC and mobile - the dedicated handheld software market's done, Boom seems to be done, they don't seem to be doing spinoff games anymore, etc so there simply isn't a lot of filler for them to put out on the off-years, which means they can't give the 3D games the time they need to be good.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

TFRazorsaw posted:

How do you get the blue version of that bodysuit?

It's one of the speedrun missions for Modern Sonic. I forget which one exactly, though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Augus posted:

They could just give us more puzzle games

edit: check out this cool glitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiBovDWR5Z4

Ventana fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 15, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Emong posted:

It's one of the speedrun missions for Modern Sonic. I forget which one exactly, though.

craaaaap.

Guess my Mecha Sonic facsimile is staying red for the time being.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I want Sonic Amy Mania. A Mania-style game with all new levels that features Blaze, Cream, and Amy instead of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. But you can use Lock-On Technology with Mania to play any of the six characters in any of the stages, clearly. And while we're wishing for the stars, a Chao garden. That comes with patches to let you use it with any of the games on that console. Including being able to raise Chao with the Avatar.

... poo poo that'd be awesome. Just let me pet Chao with Keiya the Cat please.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 15, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sonic Mania 2 with 5 playable characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, SpriteAvatar.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, those are still pretty large. The way he said it doesn't sound like it was something exclusive to just Unleashed.

That makes sense. I'm wondering how much of Colors and Generations' development overlapped, considering they share stuff like badnik designs... at least, if I remember right?
Generations existed first. They thought of doing a Wii port but decided to make that into its own game which led to Colors. The new voice actors and writers were actually originally hired for Generations, not the games they ended up appearing in first.

And yeah, one of the things that makes me angry about Forces is that it's not a horrible game the way Shadow or 2006 were, but it's a step back from everything that immediately proceeded it. The controls and physics, the lack of drift and light dash, the level design, the environments... Add to that the plot hole-ridden story (where was Shadow for 6 months? Where did the Phantom Ruby come from? What the gently caress was up with Mania's Phantom Ruby? Etc) and the false advertising with the returning enemies and it just hits a breaking point.
Oh, and on the subject of automation in the levels: The amount of time it spends completely taking away control from the player is more than any previous Sonic game. There's always been a certain degree of either automation or sections where you feel out of control but they're generally shorter and often give you the illusion of being in control. In Forces' levels you go from boosting at top speed to the game slowing you down and taking away the boost effect to slowly run across a wall for example and then let's you continue boosting.

One idea I've had for a 3D Sonic game is having "gears" you use in separate sections. Smaller levels (or perhaps sections of levels if done right) would have tighter controls at a somewhat slower speed to allow for more exploration or platforming based gameplay, while other sections would shift gears and let you play in a boost style of gameplay. I don't trust Sonic Team to pull that kind of game off though.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 15, 2017

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Skeleton King posted:

It seems to me that they were experimenting with level lengths and asset usage. The levels in generations required literal MILES of assets. Just one stage could use as much space as all of skyrim for a stage that is 3-4 minutes on average. It was even more absurd in Unleashed where the day stages were 4-6 minutes or more.

Doing things that way is pretty hard, so I can understand their use of shorter levels with reused assets, especially if they had a lower budget. Personally I liked the way Colors did things, with each world having 2 full 3-4 minute stages and a bunch of 1-2 minute stages.

I liked that Sonic Colors only had one gameplay style and stuck to it but I wish the stages were longer. While it was consistent, the highest points of Colors are still lower than the ones in Unleashed and Generations. Also something like 2/3 of Colors were 2D and a lot of the platforming was blocky and didn't seem especially tailored to Sonic's movement. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't Sonic-y enough.

Anyway, I know it would take a lot of time to make, but here's how my ideal boost game would be structured:

• A minimum of 12 long levels (Unleashed/Generations length) consisting of no more than 1/3 of the time spent in 2D (I'll also count chase sequences as 2D, they do too many of those). This could be done as two acts with the same theme, so then they only have to create assets for six themed levels, but both these acts would be about 4 minutes long. I chose 12 as a minimum since Sonic Colors only has six full levels, the least of the boost games. (I haven't played Forces so I don't know how many "levels" it really has but I know there's like 50 acts.)
  • A minimum of 3 unique bosses, plus a final boss. I know Unleashed and Colors did some recycling with their bosses but Generations managed to include 6 unique bosses before the final boss. You know what, it should have 6 bosses.
  • Maybe some shorter missions like Colors had, but when added up these should take up less time than the 12+ long acts combined.
So ideally 6+ zones with 2 acts and a boss each, or it could be structured like Colors, but there are longer acts and the majority of the game takes place in 3D.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't want an explanation for the Phantom Ruby for the same reasons I don't want an explanation for the Chaos Emeralds or Power Rings. It being this weird eldritch artifact that just found its way into both Eggmans' hands that they messed around with to differing degrees is an aspect of the story I don't mind.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't like making assumptions about the level of passion creators allegedly don't or don't have. It just gets into his really thorny area where people use it to say things about creators that don't really have much corroboration beyond what people interpret.

I mean, I'm not doubting that Hashimoto isn't extremely enthusiastic, but it's more when people talk about other teams or figures involved with Sonic that may or may not have been as vocal or vocal in the same ways as he was. I see it a lot about Kishimoto and Iizuka in particular, and it just doesn't sit well with me.

Iizuka especially, since he's basically spent his whole career associated with this character, and how I've observed him at live events. People really want him to be a man that sees Sonic as "just a job" at best, and like that one parody account in real life at worst.

It's not exactly the same since he didn't create the series, but it seems like Sonic fans talk about Iizuka like he's George Lucas.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't want an explanation for the Phantom Ruby for the same reasons I don't want an explanation for the Chaos Emeralds or Power Rings.

I don't think he meant it like that. I think he just wants a better set up than dr.robotnik found it laying on the ground (possibly in Angel island) somewhere. In sonic adventure he finds some stone tablets and in sa2 it's his grandpa's diary.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pomplamoose posted:

It's not exactly the same since he didn't create the series, but it seems like Sonic fans talk about Iizuka like he's George Lucas.

Izuka gets poo poo on so thoroughly and he's been with the series since Sonic 3. People like to blame him for everything bad and act like Mania being good was a thumb to the nose against Izuka and made him angry or upset.

Truth is, people need someone to hate, and Izuka's name is always there. It's a Tetsuya Nomura situation. except Nomua gets blamed for games where his only actual involvement is doing a few doodles.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

I don't think he meant it like that. I think he just wants a better set up than dr.robotnik found it laying on the ground (possibly in Angel island) somewhere. In sonic adventure he finds some stone tablets and in sa2 it's his grandpa's diary.

Okay, I can see that.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah. I totally get what you're saying TFR, but wouldn't you at least like to know a bit more? Not like an origin story, but clarification on how Eggman got it and what he did with it.

I mean, Eggman gets it from what's presumably some kind of dimensional warp in the prequel comic, and it seems to work how he wants it to. So what was the deal with the prototypes? Why did he make them? Couldn't he use the original? What happened to the original? How did they get to random places around the world? Was the ruby in Mania a prototype and if so how did it end up in another world? Was it just another Phantom Ruby? What happened to it? Why did destroying the Phantom Ruby that he created return Classic Sonic to his own time?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah. I totally get what you're saying TFR, but wouldn't you at least like to know a bit more? Not like an origin story, but clarification on how Eggman got it and what he did with it.

I mean, Eggman gets it from what's presumably some kind of dimensional warp in the prequel comic, and it seems to work how he wants it to. So what was the deal with the prototypes? Why did he make them? Couldn't he use the original? What happened to the original? How did they get to random places around the world? Was the ruby in Mania a prototype and if so how did it end up in another world? Was it just another Phantom Ruby? What happened to it? Why did destroying the Phantom Ruby that he created return Classic Sonic to his own time?

I would assume he attempted to replicate and integrate it with Infinite. After all, he got the Ruby when he first met Infinite, but didn't go after Sonic until he was damned sure he was going to win. So I would say all the prototypes are his attempt at mass-producing the Phantom Ruby and testing everything it can do.

Like how the Avatar's Prototype was destroyed dispelling the sun. Think of MP Ruby's like Fake Chaos Emeralds. It's a created thing replicating an eldritch object that you don't understand.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ok, but what about the original? Where is it now?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m where Onmi is. The prequel comic helps a bit too; that’s how he found it and from there Eggman took it in his own direction in the same way Tails did with the fake Emerald once upon a time.

The one thing I’m not really decided on is if the Ruby started in Mania, it’s a prototype or fragment that got sent there as per Tails’ guess about Eggman affecting other dimensions, or if it’s a stable time loop thing.

Honestly that last one feels most fun.

But I dunno, I guess I’m just used to this. Back in SA2 there were some unanswered questions I just shrugged at too, but then I guess that has nothing to do with ancient artifacts.

But the original is probably the thing inside Infinite’s chest, refined and enhanced by knowledge gleaned from the prototypes, or Eggman modified and refined it into the “power source” he uses to energize Infinite. There WERE what looked like modified Rubies in the tubes you destroy in Final Judgement.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 15, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So here's how I'd tweak the boost formula without doing a Lost World-esque backpedal away from the successes of the Boost games.

In the Genesis games, Sonic's max speed while running was higher than his max speed while rolling. This is part of why spin-to-win wasn't a reliable, braindead option. You had a mode that was faster, but vulnerable; and a safer form that could not achieve the speed necessary for many shortcuts and acrobatic maneuvers.

Therefore, "Boost Mode" will be split into two modes Sonic can enter aside from his "standard" movement suite, mapped to opposite Trigger buttons:

The Spin Dash (LT) will actually CAP Sonic's speed significantly below his maximum base-mode land speed. The animation will be replaced with a gnarly, spiky-looking Spin Attack that visibly shreds the environment, slowing Sonic down. During a Spin Dash, Sonic is invulnerable to impacts, like a traditional Boost.

This doubles as a "drift mode", akin to Sonic Generations and Unleashed, and if you turn cleanly, you can perform a Mario Kart-esque Mini Turbo and rapidly accellerate as you uncurl, provided you had enough speed going into the turn.

In contrast, the Peel Out (RT) more resembles traditional Boost gameplay. While in Peel Out, the bumpers enable Quick Stepping (in 3D) and Sonic accelerates forward without analogue stick input, allowing you to use the full horizontal range of the stick to perform minute adjustments. Peel Out does not instantly accelerate Sonic to maximum speed, however; it simply increases his rate of acceleration and removes the speed cap while altering his handling. Sonic can also charge a Peel Out from a standstill, but this is sluggish in the long run. While Peeling Out, Sonic has no invulnerability of any kind... except...

At Mach Speed (not a hard maximum but beyond a certain threshold), Sonic creates a pressure wall in front of him that can break through destructable physics objects, and which can absorb one (1) impact from a Badnik or significant projectile. Once this barrier is broken, Sonic rapidly decelerates to his default "full" running speed and has like 15 frames of invulnerability. Once vulnerable, impacts from Badniks will bring Sonic to a complete stop. Even in Mach Speed mode, Sonic can be injured by spikes and other environmental hazards.

You can go directly from Peel-Out or Mach Speed into a Spin Dash, but unless you perform a drift mini-turbo (or possibly some kind of Perfect Strike using a strict timing window before colliding with a Badnik), Sonic will lose speed during the Spin Dash according to a formula based on his pre-Spin speed.

In addition, all "Speed Boosters" used to abruptly change Sonic's direction will be replaced by "flagpoles" that Sonic can Clu Clu Land himself around to make sharp turns without losing speed. With good timing and quick reflexes, you can let go of the poles at the first opportunity and launch off without losing speed; each orbit around the poles will burn through any excess speed Sonic had going in.

Sonic's Homing Attack will be revised to retain more momentum on the off-bounce, and its lock-on range will be dynamic, dependent on the speed and direction Sonic has going in. Sonic will have a seperately-mapped Double Jump that behaves similarly to the Spin in Mario Galaxy, allowing Sonic to gain a smidge of extra height, or reset his air momentum to precisely land on a platform in 3D. Sonic will also retain a Stomp move, which will borrow from SA2 and Mario Odyssey in that jumping out of the impact of a Stomp will launch you higher than a standard jump. Pressing the Stomp button on the ground will perform a Generations-style slide that does not deal damage or grant invulnerability, but does let Sonic duck under obstacles without losing speed the way Spin Dashing would.

Light Dash is mapped to the remaining face button, to avoid any and all context-sensitive prompts. Sonic's moves are all bespoke and discreet.

To polish this all off, the HUD will feature a no-bullshit, completely honest, actual-numbers speedometer that also tracks Sonic's speed over time, allowing you to see where and when you're wasting valuable momentum. This will replace the Boost Meter because there's NO BOOST ENERGY ANYMORE.

Level design would retain the Unleashed/Generations style of interpolating racetrack experiences with 2D platforming with an emphasis on never being a bummer. Any relatively-automated setpieces would also include opportunities for expressive play and risk/reward management. A "perfect run", maintaining maximum speeds without getting hit or falling in pits, would be PlatinumGames levels of demanding, but at safer, less vulnerable speeds, anyone should be able to beat a level without making major mistakes with a little practice. The replay value would lie in maximizing your time spent fast and vulnerable and weighing those shaved-off frames against the always-available option to slow down instantly and gain resistance to damage.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 15, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've only played it once so far, but is there any rhyme or reason to Titanic Monarch 2? Lots of teleporting, and I'm not quite sure if it's just "go into every glowy bit".

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

MisterBibs posted:

I've only played it once so far, but is there any rhyme or reason to Titanic Monarch 2? Lots of teleporting, and I'm not quite sure if it's just "go into every glowy bit".

most the teleporters send you backwards, the goal is to clear the 4 different "sections" of the level that are always bookended by entering a small room with one of those lovely purple ball things

avoid the glowshit unless you are explicitly flinging yourself into it off a ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I’m where Onmi is. The prequel comic helps a bit too; that’s how he found it and from there Eggman took it in his own direction in the same way Tails did with the fake Emerald once upon a time.

The one thing I’m not really decided on is if the Ruby started in Mania, it’s a prototype or fragment that got sent there as per Tails’ guess about Eggman affecting other dimensions, or if it’s a stable time loop thing.

Honestly that last one feels most fun.

But I dunno, I guess I’m just used to this. Back in SA2 there were some unanswered questions I just shrugged at too, but then I guess that has nothing to do with ancient artifacts.

But the original is probably the thing inside Infinite’s chest, refined and enhanced by knowledge gleaned from the prototypes, or Eggman modified and refined it into the “power source” he uses to energize Infinite. There WERE what looked like modified Rubies in the tubes you destroy in Final Judgement.

Oh right, I forgot the rubies in the tubes were still there. Those all could be possible but I dunno if there's much to go on aside from head canon. I think we've put more thought into it in these past few posts than the scenario writer did.