Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Yes, Gigabyte used to include a program in their software suite that auto-run at startup called "emptyproject11.exe". It kept the dGPU permanently engaged to stop the Optimus-switching causing stutters. The thing is, it destroys battery life for obvious reasons.

MSI users were able to work around it by forcing the dGPU to be the primary GPU in the nVidia control panel according to the various MSI owners lounges over at NBR.

What actually confuses me the most is that the first creator's update was supposed to have fixed this issue, and it seems to have for some people and not others.

Edit: That regedit key work around is one I haven't seen before, going to give it a test.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the problem you guys are having is a slight delay where Optimus hands control from the iGPU to the dGPU when Windows calls any sort of 3D effect? If that's indeed the issue, it's probably an unavoidable side effect of Optimus rather than a hardware or software issue. That would explain why you don't see this when only using a single GPU. Would disabling the Aero or related 3D effects in Windows ameliorate the situation?

Pompadour Diamond posted:

Sorry for responding over a month later, lots of bad coincidences.

But yeah, the CPU is i-5 3320M, the RAM is only 4 GB, the boot drive is an HDD, it's still Win 7, and I don't think I've reinstalled the OS since getting it.
However, over the past month, I've also begun having monitor problems over the past month. For example, the upper right screen flickers green when there's black or boarder of a window on it.

So basically what I'm asking now is if I should just upgrade all that stuff, reinstall Win 7, and replace the monitor, or go ahead and get a new laptop?

If you've begun having display issues, it may be time to move on; at the very least those sorts of problems are difficult to diagnose over the Internet, and could be anything from a loose cable to failing hardware. On an old machine like that I'd say "gently caress it" before spending an excessive amount of time trying to diagnose let alone repair some weird monitor hardware problem. You could certainly back up your stuff (always a good idea!) and reinstall an OS, either Win7 or you can give Win10 a try with the same key, to see if maybe there's some driver/software issue. Considering their current prices, I'd hesitate to invest in the RAM/SSD upgrades unless you had another use for them should the laptop be on its way out. You'd end up spending $100+ compared with the few hundred more you could've spent on a newer Thinkpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Was looking through slick deals and came across an upcoming black Friday sale on the HP Spectre 360. Has anyone had any experience with this device?

https://slickdeals.net/f/10767371-h...teSearchV2Algo1

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Was looking through slick deals and came across an upcoming black Friday sale on the HP Spectre 360. Has anyone had any experience with this device?

https://slickdeals.net/f/10767371-h...teSearchV2Algo1

CEO got one a few months ago and she really likes it. Replaced the ASUS 13" MacBook Air knockoff

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Atomizer posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the problem you guys are having is a slight delay where Optimus hands control from the iGPU to the dGPU when Windows calls any sort of 3D effect? If that's indeed the issue, it's probably an unavoidable side effect of Optimus rather than a hardware or software issue. That would explain why you don't see this when only using a single GPU. Would disabling the Aero or related 3D effects in Windows ameliorate the situation?

That is the issue, although I'd call it more than a slight delay. It's avoidable as I had zero issues in the anniversary update but the fall creators update brought them all on. I did try disabling those with no help to the problem. I'm curious Shrimps did the regedit fix help you at all? I am hopeful that at least Intel is supposedly debugging the issue now.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea I had the same problem with a slight delay with right clicking and opening the file explorer of all things. I think what solved it was turning off Windows transparency effects and maybe something else to do with Aero. Glad it's a known issue and not just a hardware thing on my end.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Prescription Combs posted:

Any specific reason you're not using a dedicated workstation for the heavy lifting and then a nice portable laptop?

I do not like to use two machines. I like to carry my work around with me, take it to colleagues, be able to hack stuff up on the fly etc. In case of real heavy lifting, it goes on bigger machines anyway. I am often mobile, and having a workstation and home OR at the office doesn't help me. I am doing research, so if an idea "strikes" then I wanna be able to act on it.
Sounds stupid, and is, but anyway.

What do we know about the next generation HQ processors? Is it worth the wait?

Also, how generally do the prices moves if a new generation can be anticipated? Afaik prices for the Blade 14 and the Aero 14 are "normal" now, even though a new generation should be coming early next year.
Will the prices move down shortly before release? Anyone know how these cycles look in the laptop market?

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 14, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The next gen HQ series is pretty much a kaby lake cpu with a stripped down vega in the same package (but not the same die), with a shared 45w envelope for both. It should be interesting, leaked benchmarks put it around the 1050 for gpu performance which is quite good, but nobody knows what the CPU side will look like performance-wise. Also, nobody's even shown a concept machine or reference design with this chip in it yet, so don't expect to see it in a laptop for at least 6 months.

Prices do tend to drop before a new model is released, and deals abound in general this time of year due to black friday.

What is your current computer? It's hard to say what kind of cpu you need without a baseline for comparison.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Currently I have a Dell Latitude with an i7-4800 MQ

edit: after checking some reviews, it seems modern cpus like the 7700qh are barely faster than my 4800mq i have now.
oh

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 14, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

caps on caps on caps posted:

Currently I have a Dell Latitude with an i7-4800 MQ

A 7700HQ is really only going to be a 20% bump, then. Not much has changed performance-wise since Haswell. If you're looking at days-long simulation work, there isn't currently a mobile solution that will do much to help, and I don't really think that's going to change much until Cannon Lake at least.

If your work can be paralellized at all, now is a really good time to build a desktop, for what it's worth. Sticking lots of cores together is all the rage these days.

edit: lol yeah you got it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh no, now is a *terrible* time to build a desktop.

RAM prices are astronomical, GPU prices are still kind of hosed, and CPUs are only just STARTING to show upgrade-worthy improvements over Haswell.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh no, now is a *terrible* time to build a desktop.

RAM prices are astronomical, GPU prices are still kind of hosed, and CPUs are only just STARTING to show upgrade-worthy improvements over Haswell.

It's a terrible time to build a gaming desktop yes, but for massively parallel simulation work, a Threadripper system is a crazy good deal compared to trying to build an equivalent Xeon 6 months ago.

admittedly, you'll still get hosed buying RAM

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It still seems completely insane to me that the RAM I bought for $80 a couple years ago now retails for $160

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pompadour Diamond posted:

Sorry for responding over a month later, lots of bad coincidences.

But yeah, the CPU is i-5 3320M, the RAM is only 4 GB, the boot drive is an HDD, it's still Win 7, and I don't think I've reinstalled the OS since getting it.
However, over the past month, I've also begun having monitor problems over the past month. For example, the upper right screen flickers green when there's black or boarder of a window on it.

So basically what I'm asking now is if I should just upgrade all that stuff, reinstall Win 7, and replace the monitor, or go ahead and get a new laptop?

once you put in a new SSD $100, new monitor $100, more ram $100 you're halfway to a new thinkpad. You probably need a new battery too, so that's $350 to keep it running, vs $800 for a brand new laptop with 3x the battery life.

You're right on the edge of repair vs replace, really its up to you. The x280 doesn't have thunderbolt 3 yet which is why i don't fully recommend it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

It still seems completely insane to me that the RAM I bought for $80 a couple years ago now retails for $160

I sold some ancient DDR3 for $20 more than I paid for it.

I ended up jumping on that Costco deal for the Asus UX430UN. This thing is thinner and lighter than I expected. Fan is definitely a bit louder but so far so good. Got plenty of time to change my mind if I need to but I doubt I will.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

what the gently caress is going on with RAM

i noticed this as well and assumed i was going crazy and misremembering it being cheaper

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

what the gently caress is going on with RAM

i noticed this as well and assumed i was going crazy and misremembering it being cheaper

A little of Column A and a little of Column B between skyrocketing demand from smartphones and collusion between the only 3 manufacturers on the planet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's a terrible time to build a gaming desktop yes, but for massively parallel simulation work, a Threadripper system is a crazy good deal compared to trying to build an equivalent Xeon 6 months ago.

admittedly, you'll still get hosed buying RAM

I mean, if you're going to be building a compute/simulation/ML rig, you're STILL going to get hosed by GPU pricing, and RAM pricing. That Threadripper chip is about the only good thing going for you, which, as I said, CPUs are only just STARTING to show actual improvements that are not just 5% perf bump YOY. i5s are getting Hyperthreading, i7s are going to six cores, and Threadripper gives you cores for days.

But you're still hosed for all the other reasons I mentioned.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm really not arguing any of that. capsoncaps is running giant matlab simulations on a loving 45w haswell laptop, so they should really build a desktop computer. You can build an 8 core, 16 thread ryzen box with a 1050ti and 16gb ram for under a grand.

That's a loving bonkers amount of power compared to what they're using now, and much cheaper than a new workstation laptop that wouldn't solve the problem anyway. And 1050ti's are in decent supply, the only thing over msrp is the ram.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

manwithoutskin posted:

That is the issue, although I'd call it more than a slight delay. It's avoidable as I had zero issues in the anniversary update but the fall creators update brought them all on. I did try disabling those with no help to the problem. I'm curious Shrimps did the regedit fix help you at all? I am hopeful that at least Intel is supposedly debugging the issue now.

The delay didn't look that bad in the linked video, but to be fair it probably feels worse when you're actually the one using the system.

CFox posted:

Yea I had the same problem with a slight delay with right clicking and opening the file explorer of all things. I think what solved it was turning off Windows transparency effects and maybe something else to do with Aero. Glad it's a known issue and not just a hardware thing on my end.

This is what I suggested: turn off any 3D effects to prevent the iGPU->dGPU handoff and there won't be a delay.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

A 7700HQ is really only going to be a 20% bump, then. Not much has changed performance-wise since Haswell. If you're looking at days-long simulation work, there isn't currently a mobile solution that will do much to help, and I don't really think that's going to change much until Cannon Lake at least.

If your work can be paralellized at all, now is a really good time to build a desktop, for what it's worth. Sticking lots of cores together is all the rage these days.

edit: lol yeah you got it

It's not even 20% I think. In the tests, all current CPUs and the 7700 especially seem to be pretty much within like 1-5% of the 4800MQ. I would have to get the top of the line Xeon for much improvement (or am I wrong in this assessment?).

I can't believe how good of a deal my old laptop was then... cooling sucks but otherwise. I mean it's like five years old.
I guess things have gotten more expensive.

So I will hope I can fix my display problems and just stick with this machine until Razer, Gigabyte, Dell or Lenovo bring out their new offerings with the new generation of whatever Intel comes up. Or even AMD?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm really not arguing any of that. capsoncaps is running giant matlab simulations on a loving 45w haswell laptop, so they should really build a desktop computer. You can build an 8 core, 16 thread ryzen box with a 1050ti and 16gb ram for under a grand.

That's a loving bonkers amount of power compared to what they're using now, and much cheaper than a new workstation laptop that wouldn't solve the problem anyway. And 1050ti's are in decent supply, the only thing over msrp is the ram.

Or, you know, I'll do that.

For some reason I thought that 5 years of CPU research would have lead to some fuckton huge improvements in performance. But if Intel sat idle all this time then I guess I have to build a real workstation and just carry it around with me or whatever lol.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 15, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

It's not even 20% I think. In the tests, all current CPUs and the 7700 especially seem to be pretty much within like 1-5% of the 4800MQ. I would have to get the top of the line Xeon for much improvement (or am I wrong in this assessment?).

I can't believe how good of a deal my old laptop was then... cooling sucks but otherwise. I mean it's like five years old.
I guess things have gotten more expensive.

So I will hope I can fix my display problems and just stick with this machine until Razer, Gigabyte, Dell or Lenovo bring out their new offerings with the new generation of whatever Intel comes up. Or even AMD?

Or, you know, I'll do that.

For some reason I thought that 5 years of CPU research would have lead to some fuckton huge improvements in performance. But if Intel sat idle all this time then I guess I have to build a real workstation and just carry it around with me or whatever lol.

AMD does not presently have a high-core-count chip for mobile deployment. I'm not sure that ANYONE wants more than six cores in a mobile SKU, and six cores, we're probably looking workstation laptops, because that's where a six-core part would wind up.

Going forward, I think the mainstream mobile processor market will continue to top out at 4c8t, but Intel will extend HT support down into the i5 line, as a move against the likes of AMD's Ryzen Mobile parts, which will look like this. (Courtesy of TechReport.)

So, in conclusion: Highly-parallelized workloads that aren't GPU-accelerated, in a mobile form factor points to something Xeon-y, because AMD doesn't have a mobile workstation chip yet, if ever.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I put this on reddit and got 2 recommendations. Perhaps SA could help?

I need a laptop for school..

quote:

—Total budget and country of purchase:
$300-$700. USA.

—Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money?
Best specs for the money.

—How important is weight and thinness to you?
It’s a luxury.

—Which OS do you require?
Windows

—Do you have a preferred screen size?
Not too important, but not too small. Perhaps over 15”?

—Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming?

I’ve got a gaming rig, so no gaming really. However I will need it to proficiently run Photoshop and Illustrator for my side work.

— Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices ?

Don’t care too much about all the fancy add ons. Just need it to run well. I’m about more specs & performance than prettiness. Anything beyond that is a bonus. I need it for school and Photoshop/Illustrator work

- Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

I’m really only gonna use this laptop for Photoshop/Illustrator work and taking notes, writing papers. I’m going back to school in January and need the best laptop I can buy. My budget isn’t high. The cheaper the better. Preferably like to keep it around the $500 range.

ASUS VivoBookF510UA
- Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz
- 15.6”
- 8 GB RAM
- 1 TB HDD
$499
https://shopineer.com/laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-F510UA-FHD-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-8250U-8GB-RAM-1TB-F510UA-AH51

Would need a SSD upgrade.

Acer Swift 3
- 15.6”
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 GB SSD
- $699
https://shopineer.com/laptops/Acer-Swift-3-8th-Gen-Intel-Core-i5-8250U-15-6-Full-HD-8GB-DDR4-SF315-51-518S

Not gonna lie. Those $600-$700 prices are intimidating me. And I’m assuming I’ll need to throw another 8GB of ram into it... Don’t plan on gaming on it outside of maybe some Rollercoaster Tycoon 😜

Help? ☹️

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The short story is that AMD wasn't doing well and nobody else can afford an x86 license, so Intel had a complete monopoly and no incentive to innovate. Now that AMD has found some footing, things should get exciting again, but it'll be a year before we see the really good stuff trickle into consumer laptops.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm trying to find a laptop for my boss to use to just go through emails and do basic office tasks while he's away from the office, using gotomypc to access his work computer. He doesn't want to spend over $500, but I don't want to find him a piece of crap. I found a few near the top of the budget that look decent:

$399 - Lenovo Ideapad 310 - 15.6" (1366 x 768), Intel Core i3, 6 GB RAM, 1TB HDD

$399 - Lenovo Ideapad 110 15.6" (1366 x 768), Intel Core i3-6100U 2.3 GHz, 6 GB DDR4 Memory, 1 TB HDD

$468 - Lenovo Business Flagship Laptop PC 17.3" HD+ Display (1600 x 900) Intel i3-7100U Processor 6GB DDR4 RAM 1TB HDD

$499 - ASUS VivoBook F510UA FHD, 15.6" (1920 x 1080) Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD

$499 - ASUS P-Series P2540UA-AB51 business standard Laptop, 15.6" (1920 x 1080), 7th Gen Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz (3M Cache, up to 3.1GHz), 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD

$499 - HP EliteBook 840 G1 14" HD+ TouchScreen (1600 x 900) Business Laptop Computer, Intel Dual Core i7 2.1GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD (Refurbished)

Any suggestions?

Varg fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 15, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'd only bother with the two Asus models. But they need an SSD instead of that 1TB HDD.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
An SSD is required for a laptop to not be a piece of crap.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CFox posted:

An SSD is required for a laptop to not be a piece of crap.

I mean, really, any computer in 2017.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
My Gigabyte Aero 14 came today, and while it powers up, the display remains black. I called tech support, and they essentially told my that I'm out of luck and should just get a new one. I'm really on the fence about getting a replacement, because if the quality is this bad out of the box I'm not optimistic about the next couple years.

On a related note, does anyone know how to force a reset on this model? The battery isn't removable, which is usually my go-to.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
When you say remains black do you mean the screen turns on but it's nothing but black or that the screen never turns on at all? If it's the latter I'd wager it's a loose connection within the laptop and a forced reset wouldn't solve anything.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

CFox posted:

When you say remains black do you mean the screen turns on but it's nothing but black or that the screen never turns on at all? If it's the latter I'd wager it's a loose connection within the laptop and a forced reset wouldn't solve anything.

It looks like it never turns on, but I didn't get anything from an external monitor either.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

MoreLikeTen posted:

My Gigabyte Aero 14 came today, and while it powers up, the display remains black. I called tech support, and they essentially told my that I'm out of luck and should just get a new one. I'm really on the fence about getting a replacement, because if the quality is this bad out of the box I'm not optimistic about the next couple years.

On a related note, does anyone know how to force a reset on this model? The battery isn't removable, which is usually my go-to.

this is silly, btw

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A certain percentage of electronics are DoA but that's why they get replaced

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You could get this 8-core thing if you really want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUccVeV4I0

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MoreLikeTen posted:

There’s a non-zero chance any product will be broken out of the box, whether it’s a Gigabyte or an Apple.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Delivery companies don't exactly arrange and pack their cargo with loving care either. Someone might have hurled your laptop from the end of a conveyor belt and then thrown a few more boxes after it, stuff might come loose if you're unlucky

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

89 posted:

So, I put this on reddit and got 2 recommendations. Perhaps SA could help?

I need a laptop for school that'll adequately run Photoshop and most of the Adobe Suite.

ASUS VivoBookF510UA
- 15.6”
- 8 GB RAM
- 1 TB HDD
$499
https://shopineer.com/laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-F510UA-FHD-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-8250U-8GB-RAM-1TB-F510UA-AH51

Would need a SSD upgrade.

Acer Swift 3
- 15.6”
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 GB SSD
- $699
https://shopineer.com/laptops/Acer-Swift-3-8th-Gen-Intel-Core-i5-8250U-15-6-Full-HD-8GB-DDR4-SF315-51-518S

Not gonna lie. Those $600-$700 prices are intimidating me. And I’m assuming I’ll need to throw another 8GB of ram into it... Don’t plan on gaming on it outside of maybe some Rollercoaster Tycoon 😜

Help? ☹️

? :(

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

this is silly, btw

Fair enough. I decided to give it another shot, in no small part because amazon made return/re-order so easy

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The VivoBook has a decent IPS display but everything else is bad. The hard drive is a no no and I would only buy that if you plan to replace it with an SSD. The Acer has decent specs but the display is really bad and dim and the battery life sucks.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Mu Zeta posted:

The VivoBook has a decent IPS display but everything else is bad. The hard drive is a no no and I would only buy that if you plan to replace it with an SSD. The Acer has decent specs but the display is really bad and dim and the battery life sucks.

Thank you! That’s what i need to hear :)

So, what would be a better direction to go in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The vivo book with SSD add on

Though I would look at the OP and get a Thinkpad.