Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

baka kaba posted:

You could get this 8-core thing if you really want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUccVeV4I0

That is loving absurd, and of course Dave2D would review it right after I made my statements yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Those Lenevos screens are just too small at 14” for graphic work.

How’s this laptop?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FLBJV7/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=techneeeq-20&linkId=5e0a46081e10da20efaa8ae07c2622fc

I guess I’d need to add another stick of ram?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I guess this may also be the place to ask this.

Guess who just learned about USB 3.0 and 2.4 GHz interference?

Does anyone know of any well-shielded USB 3.0 hubs, or am I gonna have to make my own?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
What are you running into exactly? I've got a 2.4 GHz wireless mouse on mine and haven't had any issues.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

89 posted:

Those Lenevos screens are just too small at 14” for graphic work.

How’s this laptop?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FLBJV7/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=techneeeq-20&linkId=5e0a46081e10da20efaa8ae07c2622fc

I guess I’d need to add another stick of ram?

I don't hate it. Slightly slower model here for a little cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LD4MGY4/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAJMQ

The main difference is the one you linked has the latest 8th gen processor (not much difference) but it does have the mx150 graphics which should be a significant improvement. Something like 30-40% better graphics performance with video games, depending on setting.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 16, 2017

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
What? No. That 8250U is a 4 core 8 thread chip while the 7200U is 2 core 4 thread. That's a huge difference. It also looks like the MX150 is 30% faster than the 940MX so I'd go with the newer one without a doubt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Notebookcheck benchmarks don't look like a huge improvement. But yeah the laptop page says it's the same battery life so might as well get the newer one.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-8250U-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.242172.0.html

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 16, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

CFox posted:

What? No. That 8250U is a 4 core 8 thread chip while the 7200U is 2 core 4 thread. That's a huge difference. It also looks like the MX150 is 30% faster than the 940MX so I'd go with the newer one without a doubt.

Only thing is, I don’t care about the gaming performance. My gaming is on my console at home or my desktop.

Could I do better than that laptop for 15.6”, SSD, and that CPU?

Also, how important is it to upgrade it to 16GB RAM?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
All of those questions depend on what Photoshop/Illustrator need and what they can take advantage of, personally I don't know that. If those programs take advantage of GPU acceleration then the graphics card in the laptop becomes important, otherwise you can get away with the integrated intel gpu.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

CFox posted:

All of those questions depend on what Photoshop/Illustrator need and what they can take advantage of, personally I don't know that. If those programs take advantage of GPU acceleration then the graphics card in the laptop becomes important, otherwise you can get away with the integrated intel gpu.

Perhaps this is the route I need to go with, then. The files I work with tend to be pretty large and those programs do take advantage of GPU acceleration.

If that’s the best I can do for that whole package, I guess I’ll let it hang out for another week and see if it gets any cheaper for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and then pounce on it along with an extra 8GB RAM.

Is there a cheaper option for that extra 8GB than this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FRP217C/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_

?

89 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 16, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just try it with the default ram first. It might not be too bad.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea, RAM prices are insane right now so just hold off unless you feel you absolutely need it.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Starting a new job in the new year, they work off desktops, so I'm actually having to shell out for laptop for the first time in seven years. Always had a Macbook Pro with maxed specs. The price for one if I bought it myself seems a bit...excessive, so trying to figure out what would be best out of the current crop of good laptops.

- Need something powerful I can cart around that won't absolutely kill my wallet (like a Surface Book looks spot on in many ways, but is ridiculously priced).
- I do programming, and I do graphics/illustration, so something that covers those bases would be good.
- Use a second display at home, so screen size re graphics work not that much of an issue.
- I don't have any issue carrying current 15.6" MacBook around, but slightly smaller form factor would be easier on my shoulders.
- Aiming to do some relatively light game dev stuff over the next couple of years, and I want it to be up for that.
- Dual boot with Linux as I can't face going back to Windows for development; keep Windows for just graphics work & light gaming & probably the gamedev stuff when that comes around. So something that is known to work well, hardware-wise, with Linux is quite important.
- Programming language I do most of my work in leverages multiple cores so more actual cores/hyperthreads == better for testing things out in a realistic environment.
- Also do quite a bit of compiling, so again, more cores == less time waiting for stuff to happen.
- Graphics stuff generally means more RAM the better.
- Thunderbolt port would be v useful.
- I occasionally play games, mainly slightly indieish Steam stuff & 4X stuff (Stellaris, Homeworld, Civ). My Mac tends to crash after an hour or so of play when I've tried to run some of the slightly newer ones (eg Deserts of Kharak, or even older ones like Total War), so something that can at least not crap out would be nice.

Very secondary concern, but I do a lot of illustration, so a screen I could draw on would be a plus (hence Surface book looking attractive), but it's a very secondary concern as my options seem very limited & impact getting a good deal on the above points.

Edit: in the UK as well

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 16, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

RobertKerans posted:

Starting a new job in the new year, they work off desktops, so I'm actually having to shell out for laptop for the first time in seven years. Always had a Macbook Pro with maxed specs. The price for one if I bought it myself seems a bit...excessive, so trying to figure out what would be best out of the current crop of good laptops.

- Need something powerful I can cart around that won't absolutely kill my wallet (like a Surface Book looks spot on in many ways, but is ridiculously priced).
- I do programming, and I do graphics/illustration, so something that covers those bases would be good.
- Use a second display at home, so screen size re graphics work not that much of an issue.
- I don't have any issue carrying current 15.6" MacBook around, but slightly smaller form factor would be easier on my shoulders.
- Aiming to do some relatively light game dev stuff over the next couple of years, and I want it to be up for that.
- Dual boot with Linux as I can't face going back to Windows for development; keep Windows for just graphics work & light gaming & probably the gamedev stuff when that comes around. So something that is known to work well, hardware-wise, with Linux is quite important.
- Programming language I do most of my work in leverages multiple cores so more actual cores/hyperthreads == better for testing things out in a realistic environment.
- Also do quite a bit of compiling, so again, more cores == less time waiting for stuff to happen.
- Graphics stuff generally means more RAM the better.
- Thunderbolt port would be v useful.
- I occasionally play games, mainly slightly indieish Steam stuff & 4X stuff (Stellaris, Homeworld, Civ). My Mac tends to crash after an hour or so of play when I've tried to run some of the slightly newer ones (eg Deserts of Kharak, or even older ones like Total War), so something that can at least not crap out would be nice.

Very secondary concern, but I do a lot of illustration, so a screen I could draw on would be a plus (hence Surface book looking attractive), but it's a very secondary concern as my options seem very limited & impact getting a good deal on the above points.

im pretty sure you are why dell's XPS 15 is a thing

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

89 posted:

Extremely not important for 96% of everyone. Unless you need to run Premiere, Photoshop and 100 browser tabs simultaneously.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Do be aware that for all the solder-job fuckery going on these days, stepping up to 16GB might be the only way to get dual channel.

Also, the new firefox is supposed to be better with RAM usage and takes advantage of extra CPU cores.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I was about to laugh at all of you about how important it is to just suck it up and buy the RAM that lets you have 100 chrome tabs and photoshop and unity all up at the same time, but then I looked up RAM prices and hoooly gently caress. I bought 32GB of RAM a year and a half ago for $150, and the same exact RAM is $300 right now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

anothergod posted:

I was about to laugh at all of you about how important it is to just suck it up and buy the RAM that lets you have 100 chrome tabs and photoshop and unity all up at the same time, but then I looked up RAM prices and hoooly gently caress. I bought 32GB of RAM a year and a half ago for $150, and the same exact RAM is $300 right now.

i'm tentatively building another desktop computer and lol that the RAM i want is going to cost the same as the top-of-the-line (consumer) i7 its getting.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

anothergod posted:

Yeah, my blanket advice forever was "get as much ram as you possibly can" but that's just not reasonable until the supply comes back. It also doesn't make a lot of sense to put 16gb in a 7th gen or earlier machine either, since you're going to want to upgrade in a year or two now that the race is back on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Extremely not important for 96% of everyone. Unless you need to run Premiere, Photoshop and 100 browser tabs simultaneously.
I'd disagree with this. I'm deep in to the 12GB used range and I'm not exactly multitasking like a madman right now. A dozen-ish Chrome tabs. Slack, Discord, and a few other small applications. Chrome is responsible for about a third of that usage.

IMO 8GB is the bare minimum any new PC should be allowed to be specced with now. 16GB is preferable if you actually want to do anything serious with it. 32+ is mostly splurging unless you do big time virtualization/multimedia/database/etc.

Also this:

Seamonster posted:

Do be aware that for all the solder-job fuckery going on these days, stepping up to 16GB might be the only way to get dual channel.
Beyond the dual channel thing, if it's soldered in that means you can't upgrade down the line. Since RAM is one of those things where you either have enough or you don't and the second you don't everything becomes significantly more painful, it's better to buy the RAM and not need it than to need it and not be able to have it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wolrah posted:

I'd disagree with this. I'm deep in to the 12GB used range and I'm not exactly multitasking like a madman right now. A dozen-ish Chrome tabs. Slack, Discord, and a few other small applications. Chrome is responsible for about a third of that usage.

Something is pretty wrong, then. That shouldn't be happening on a healthy system. Does the same thing happen after a reboot? Do you have Killer ethernet drivers installed?

For reference, I have twice as many chrome tabs open, plus a fairly hefty photoshop file, a PDF or two, OBS, mail, slack, downloading windows updates in the background, plus the various systray stuff one accumulates, and I'm hitting around 8.6gb.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

wolrah posted:

I agree that 8GB is bare minimum, but if you don't do any memory intensive work or play modern video games that 8GB will be plenty. I got 16GB and I rarely go much above 6GB with normal usage without any productivity programs open. When I sometimes happen to open ~50 chrome tabs at once I barely reach 8GB. Your memory usage seems insane to me with that "few" tabs open.

Edit: I normally close tabs and foreground programs after I'm done with them and I don't understand why people hoard them. I had a friend who often had ~150 tabs constantly open. If you are that type of person then you will need 16GB for sure.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 16, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Something is pretty wrong, then. That shouldn't be happening on a healthy system. Does the same thing happen after a reboot? Do you have Killer ethernet drivers installed?

Here's what I have open, sitting at 8.14GB

I'd only have 3 tabs open in Chrome and don't need to use the memory hogging Java-based IBM tools much anymore, I only have 2 of 3 open

Otherwise, I'd be at like 10-12GB

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sininu posted:

I agree that 8GB is bare minimum, but if you don't do any memory intensive work or play modern video games that 8GB will be plenty.

No modern video game will benefit from more than 8gb of ram.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sure, I was more thinking about you having all the other stuff open at the same time. I often go above 12GB of memory usage that way.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RobertKerans posted:

Dunno if there's anything better now, but there's a Yoga 720 with a 1050 in it (2GB instead of the usual 4) which means you get a decent GPU in a convertible you can scribble on. Some of the other convertibles are shipping with MX150s which can play games decently on low settings, but you might want something a bit more capable if you want to actually develop games

Probably some new stuff coming out in the next few months though? There's a surface with a 1060 at least

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Some unoptimized games will. On one of the larger maps Escape From Tarkov uses over 10gb

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i do a lot of really pointless nerdy poo poo so i like RAM, ama

E: this probably came across as mocking the other guy ITT but i actually meant it in the first person

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
PSA since it seems to be topical that a certain amount of RAM being in use doesn't mean it's required or even noticeably beneficial. Modern OSes are happy to buffer things that may or may not be needed again in space that would otherwise be unused; my home server is doing nothing but running Deluge and a couple VNC sessions most of the time and it still keeps the vast majority of its 16GB occupied.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Eletriarnation posted:

PSA since it seems to be topical that a certain amount of RAM being in use doesn't mean it's required or even noticeably beneficial. Modern OSes are happy to buffer things that may or may not be needed again in space that would otherwise be unused; my home server is doing nothing but running Deluge and a couple VNC sessions most of the time and it still keeps the vast majority of its 16GB occupied.

Just want to say that my previous laptop with just 4GB of RAM and SSD was just as usable for web browsing and lighter workloads as my current one is. The programs I use haven't changed and I don't think they've become more memory hungry so I can only point at good memory management.
I was really surprised how much more RAM was in use at all times when I first got my current laptop.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 16, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do I need to buy a optibay caddy to install a second (2.5” SATA?) SSD or can I just buy some kind of cable and call it a day? My laptop (ThinkPad W541) came without a CD/DVD drive so the space where the caddy would go in is an empty void anyway and I don’t see why I can’t just Velcro the SSD in place.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 16, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I last built my desktop in 2013 and wow...those ram prices really did shoot up didn’t they

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

89 posted:

I last built my desktop in 2013 and wow...those ram prices really did shoot up didn’t they

Doubled in a lot of cases

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Doubled in a lot of cases

I assure u, theres no double the RAM in my case!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No idea on the reboot, I generally don't reboot until Windows Update tells me to (or does it on its own) unless something's gone wonky. If I think about it I'll try after work.

Hell no on Killer, gently caress everything about those gimmicky piles of poo poo. Intel across the board here.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'd like to introduce you to GTA V with the settings cranked, or almost any moddable game with a 64 bit game engine once you start piling stuff on.

Eletriarnation posted:

Windows now indicates this. The dark bar and the "In Use" text both show what applications are actively using while there's also a lighter bar showing OS cache and other things. You can see it in my desktop screenshot showing that my truly unused RAM is only like 700MB but pretty much half of it is full of cached data that'll be instantly discarded if something else asks for the memory.

IIRC they stopped counting cache as "in use" in Vista SP1 because people were complaining that Vista was using all their RAM constantly, then it was either 8 or 10 where they gave it the separate indicator in Task Manager where I think you had to dig in to Performance Monitor previously.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do I need to buy a optibay caddy to install a second (2.5" SATA?) SSD or can I just buy some kind of cable and call it a day? My laptop (ThinkPad W541) came without a CD/DVD drive so the space where the caddy would go in is an empty void anyway and I don't see why I can't just Velcro the SSD in place.
Is there a standard SATA connector in the back of the bay or is it some proprietary thing? If it's a standard connector and you can get the drive to seat in it properly there shouldn't be a problem with ghetto-rigging your own mounting solution.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wolrah posted:

Is there a standard SATA connector in the back of the bay or is it some proprietary thing? If it's a standard connector and you can get the drive to seat in it properly there shouldn't be a problem with ghetto-rigging your own mounting solution.

Unclear, but the product images show this on the back end:

I’m not sure if that’s a proprietary thing or not though.

e:

I just counted the pins on the new 850 EVO I wanted to install and it looks like it has a 7 + 15 pin configuration, while that picture above I count a 6 + 7 pin thing.

e2:

It looks like one of these would work maybe?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 16, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CFox posted:

What are you running into exactly? I've got a 2.4 GHz wireless mouse on mine and haven't had any issues.

Not running into anything.... yet. I was poking into getting a stubby little USB 3 hub to tie my mouse, keyboard, and 10key into, with one extra port for flash drives to make switching between two laptops a little less annoying.

Like I said, I just found out about this when reading for reviews of USB 3 hubs.

I mean, I can probably improve one myself... from what I understand, some extra shielding will make it a non-issue. I have conductive copper paint I can spray on the inside of the casing, and I know a company that makes 3:1 and 4:1 heat shrink tubing with an EMI liner and sells them in 1- and 4-foot lengths, but if someone knows where I can get one for less than the cost of doing it myself, that would be cool and good.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 16, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Surface Book 2 report here; OMG I HAVE A KEYBOARD how I missed you friend. I'm not sure I need the whole being a tablet thing, what with still having a Surface but hey whatever.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
How badly does that 1060 throttle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

89 posted:

So, I put this on reddit and got 2 recommendations. Perhaps SA could help?

I need a laptop for school..

ASUS VivoBookF510UA
- Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz
- 15.6”
- 8 GB RAM
- 1 TB HDD
$499
https://shopineer.com/laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-F510UA-FHD-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-8250U-8GB-RAM-1TB-F510UA-AH51

Would need a SSD upgrade.

Acer Swift 3
- Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz
- 15.6”
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 GB SSD
- $699
https://shopineer.com/laptops/Acer-Swift-3-8th-Gen-Intel-Core-i5-8250U-15-6-Full-HD-8GB-DDR4-SF315-51-518S

Not gonna lie. Those $600-$700 prices are intimidating me. And I’m assuming I’ll need to throw another 8GB of ram into it... Don’t plan on gaming on it outside of maybe some Rollercoaster Tycoon 😜

Help? ☹️

My recommendation for both of you. Just add 4 GB of RAM and an m.2 SATA SSD. Neither of you indicated a need for a dGPU, and performance should be sufficient for both.

CFox posted:

The MX150 is definitely the faster dGPU, if they needed it.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Notebookcheck benchmarks don't look like a huge improvement. But yeah the laptop page says it's the same battery life so might as well get the newer one.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-8250U-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.242172.0.html

Yeah, the Kaby Lake-R chips have more cores but a lower clock speed and possibly thermal throttling. Nothing that would turn me off them but they're not going to be outright twice as fast as the previous-gen mobile CPUs.

89 posted:

Only thing is, I don’t care about the gaming performance. My gaming is on my console at home or my desktop.

Could I do better than that laptop for 15.6”, SSD, and that CPU?

You probably don't need 16 GB of RAM; 4 GB is the bare minimum, with 8 being comfortable for most general-purpose use.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Some games do indeed utilize more than that; you can see it in benchmark runs using MSI Afterburner, for instance.

baka kaba posted:

Dunno if there's anything better now, but there's a Yoga 720 with a 1050 in it (2GB instead of the usual 4) which means you get a decent GPU in a convertible you can scribble on. Some of the other convertibles are shipping with MX150s which can play games decently on low settings, but you might want something a bit more capable if you want to actually develop games

Probably some new stuff coming out in the next few months though? There's a surface with a 1060 at least

2 GB VRAM is the correct amount for the 1050. The 1050 Ti should have 4.