Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why's everything red this time?

One factor is that Japan's Nikkei had a big run recently and people are pulling out of it. They had a bad trading day yesterday (overnight, to us), which probably hurt U.S. markets a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why's everything red this time?

It's a fire! Sale!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yea, just about everything of ETF and other funds I have is taking a dive. Goddamnit! :argh:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'd like to see a nice steep discount, thanks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My portfolio is being discounted. No thanks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

GE is going to stop making light bulbs.

That would explain all the red candles.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've got Square Inc. stock that's crushing it but it feels like it's becoming the new hype stock that a bunch of dummies are latching onto. Love the company and their product, but hate the way the stock is behaving. Hypefest 2018 type poo poo.

Don't break the bloody ship, asswads. Go to TSLA or something.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

It’s the time of year to buy puts and lock in profits

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

It’s the time of year to buy puts and lock in profits
Probably right, but I know nothing about how they work. Time to research this whole thing.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 16, 2017

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

melon cat posted:

I've got Square Inc. stock that's crushing it but it feels like it's becoming the new hype stock that a bunch of dummies are latching onto. Love the company and their product, but hate the way the stock is behaving. Hypefest 2018 type poo poo.

Don't break the bloody ship, asswads. Go to TSLA or something.

I'm in the same boat. My cost is around $16 per share and now I feel like it's super over-valued. It's hard to sell your best performing stock.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kal Torak posted:

I'm in the same boat. My cost is around $16 per share and now I feel like it's super over-valued. It's hard to sell your best performing stock.

You could always play it safe and sell off your cost basis or just take the profit and let it ride.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

melon cat posted:

Probably right, but I know nothing about how they work. Time to research this whole thing.

Nothing crazy. Puts allow you to sell for the put value. You pay for the right to lock in some price. If the price goes up they expire worthless. I want to sell some poo poo today, but I don't want to pay taxes on them this year, I want to defer those taxes until next year. So I buy some puts (and I also sell calls). Dec 31 I sell my puts for a loss (hopefully) book that this year, then Jan 1 I sell my shares and pay taxes in 2018.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

BOught a bunch of pennies

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

Nothing crazy. Puts allow you to sell for the put value. You pay for the right to lock in some price. If the price goes up they expire worthless. I want to sell some poo poo today, but I don't want to pay taxes on them this year, I want to defer those taxes until next year. So I buy some puts (and I also sell calls). Dec 31 I sell my puts for a loss (hopefully) book that this year, then Jan 1 I sell my shares and pay taxes in 2018.
I think I understand. So if I think SQ will slide (and I do), I'd Buy Puts with a strike price of $40. So if the SQ goes down to $20, I can exercise my strike price and sell at $40. But if SQ goes up, I can just eat the tiny cost of buying the Put and not sell my shares. Am I understanding that right?

Also, my trading platform is asking if I want to and "Buy to Open", "Buy to Close", "Sell to Close", or Sell to Open" or "Sell to Open Covered". I tried researching what this meant online and got then got a headache. Tried reading it a second time, but then got a migraine. :suicide:

But, here's my crack at it: since I'd be buying a Put, I would 'Buy to Open', correct?

Sorry to turn this into a Babby's First Options Trade conversation. I really just want to understand this part of gambling trading.

Kal Torak posted:

Yeah I feel ya. And holy poo poo $16/share? Good for you.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 16, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

vaginal facsimile posted:

BOught a bunch of pennies

Did you know copper pennies are worth more then a penny of copper? Sort them out and trade the other ones in for more pennies.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

melon cat posted:

I think I understand. So if I think SQ will slide (and I do), I'd Buy Puts with a strike price of $40. So if the SQ goes down to $20, I can exercise my strike price and sell at $40. But if SQ goes up, I can just eat the tiny cost of buying the Put and not sell my shares. Am I understanding that right?

Also, my trading platform is asking if I want to and "Buy to Open", "Buy to Close", "Sell to Close", or Sell to Open" or "Sell to Open Covered". I tried researching what this meant online and got then got a headache. Tried reading it a second time, but then got a migraine. :suicide:

But, here's my crack at it: since I'd be buying a Put, I would 'Buy to Open', correct?

Sorry to turn this into a Babby's First Options Trade conversation. I really just want to understand this part of gambling trading.

Bingo Bango on the first part. Buying puts means you think the price will go down. Your downside is only limited to the price of the puts. Worst case they expire worthless. If you buy a $40 strike put and the price drops to $20, then the puts will be worth at least $20, because you have the right to sell at $40 and you can just purchase the stock for the market value of $20.

Buy to Open means that you're opening a new position. If you currently don't own any options, you're opening a position. When you sell, you're closing. So if you buy to open something, later you will sell to close it.

Sell to open is the same, but instead you're selling someone else the contract, so you own negative shares. It will show -5 shares in your account if you sell 5 options to open. When you close this position, you would have to buy to close, because you need to buy 5 shares to get back to 0.

Think real hard about selling. You *should* always be selling covered. Covered means that you own the underlying shares. So if you sell 5 call options, you should have 500 shares of the company. If you don't, your potential loss is unlimited.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

melon cat posted:

You could also consider selling calls at a higher strike price. This allows you to collect some premium if it goes down or stays the same, while still participating in *some* of the upside if there is still some left.

This is what I am considering. I would rather sell premium than buy it.

melon cat posted:

Actually closer to $17. It's not like I bought it that long ago - it was only in April. And I only bought a half position hoping to buy the other half lower but never got the chance...oh well, I'm not complaining.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You ready for the dump after the pump :420:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kal Torak posted:

Actually closer to $17. It's not like I bought it that long ago - it was only in April. And I only bought a half position hoping to buy the other half lower but never got the chance...oh well, I'm not complaining.

Things like this make me wonder if I've squandered my entire investing life by not simply buying midsize tech companies when they IPO'ed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

You ready for the dump after the pump :420:
I'm getting out before I lose my hat. Same with VSLR. Thanks for nothing jerks. :argh:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Square is different in the sense they have a predatory business model that issues loans to small businesses that ensnare them into their ecosystem to pay off said loan. That is the growth sector for their business.

ROKU sells ... cheap hardware?
SNAP burns cash.

If you're long on :420: look into micro caps on the CVE that have licenses from health canada to sell :420: and get ready for the M&A

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 16, 2017

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That would explain all the red candles.

Not letting this get buried. :rimshot:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Not letting this get buried. :rimshot:
There's an additional level of humor because Restoration Hardware killed it, up 25% on earnings.

Freed up some cash to throw a half position at SFIX's IPO tomorrow.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

Bingo Bango on the first part. Buying puts means you think the price will go down. Your downside is only limited to the price of the puts. Worst case they expire worthless. If you buy a $40 strike put and the price drops to $20, then the puts will be worth at least $20, because you have the right to sell at $40 and you can just purchase the stock for the market value of $20.

Buy to Open means that you're opening a new position. If you currently don't own any options, you're opening a position. When you sell, you're closing. So if you buy to open something, later you will sell to close it.

I think I understand, and thanks for typing all of that out. So, let's say I Buy Puts with a $40 strike. Then SQ goes down to $20. Obviously I'd want to cash in on my right to sell for $40. At that point, I'd "Sell To Close". Is that right? My only confusion at this point is how to exercise/use my options if SQ slides. My worst nightmare is Buying Puts and holding my hands out all like, "how do I shot web" once I'm ready to use it.

Kal Torak posted:

You could also consider selling calls at a higher strike price. This allows you to collect some premium if it goes down or stays the same, while still participating in *some* of the upside if there is still some left.

This is what I am considering. I would rather sell premium than buy it.
That sounds worth considering. But holy hell do I feel like a toddler after dipping my toes in options for the first time.

Josh Lyman posted:

Things like this make me wonder if I've squandered my entire investing life by not simply buying midsize tech companies when they IPO'ed.
I wouldn't think that. Most IPOs fail. At least for a while. When I bought SQ pretty much every Analyst was bearish and making GBS threads on them, but I bought in pretty much because I saw old farmers at our markets really liking the Square platform, and figured that Dorsey had a nice little niche in the market. The share price even tanked for a while, and when SBUX dropped their Square platform I was getting really uneasy. SQ was a huge risk (and still is).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

melon cat posted:

I think I understand, and thanks for typing all of that out. So, let's say I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJ8mbwuYW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiybniIIvx0&t=5s

Just go on youtube and search options trading and watch an hour or two of videos

e: namaste nasdaq deities for today

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I just sold some NTDOY that I had bought back after it dipped ~10% after earnings. As much as I think that Nintendo will sell a lot over the holidays, we saw earlier this week how an overheated Nikkei can drag it down. Plus, with a potentially bad (for the market) tax bill vote looming it was too drat volatile for my liking. Just look at the violent movement this week. Now that I'm out of it, watch either a China console sales announcement or some kind of acquisition by a big fish like Apple get announced...

Also, SQ longs don't really have a problem here other than my envy for their good decision to buy last year.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

melon cat posted:

I think I understand, and thanks for typing all of that out. So, let's say I Buy Puts with a $40 strike. Then SQ goes down to $20.
That sounds worth considering. But holy hell do I feel like a toddler after dipping my toes in options for the first time.

Dude. Don’t buy puts. Just sell your position if you are that worried

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

fougera posted:

This is bad advice. I'll try to provide better advice:

Do you think SQ is overpriced? If so, sell. If not:

How much of your position could you stand to lose? You may want to buy puts at that strike, if you think that SQ still has room for growth. The puts will protect you against further losses in the event SQ drops. However they'll likely end up worthless at the time of expiry, so you're likely flushing the premium down the toilet to buy those puts.

Also:

Higher strike prices cost more. Strike 40 puts cost more than strike 35 puts.

Longer expiries cost more. Expiring in December 2018 costs more than expiring in December 2017.

Keep track of your profit on the open SQ position and how much you've spent in premium on options. Never let your options insurance start to overtake your profitable position, and close the whole position while you're a head if it starts heading in that direction.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

fougera posted:

Especially late in the year like now, someone in that guy's situation might want to buy puts because he is worried about the stock being overvalued but doesn't want to realize a large capital gain until next year. So January puts could be a perfect tool to use.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Does he even own 100 shares? Did anyone ask about his tax situation? And what’s wrong with paying taxes on gains anyway?

And lol stop it with the risk management. It costs less to just reduce your position.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Yeah buying puts for tax purposes was the initial thing I posted about. It’s a great tool and it gives you flexibility and also lets you maybe wait until you hit LTG if that’s a thing for you.

Don’t buy and sell with no regard for taxes cmon man!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
They might be trading in a roth

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Yeah let's just run Wal-Mart right up. Possibly the most predictable growth trajectory in the whole market and let's run it up to like a 22 FORWARD p/e. Why not, they're selling things on the internet now. That's like, worth more.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
Everything's green today because the tax bill is definitely getting signed by Donny by Xmas, amiright guys???

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Xtronoc posted:

Everything's green today because the tax bill is definitely getting signed by Donny by Xmas, amiright guys???

Good Cisco earnings also helping old tech companies

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

greasyhands posted:

Yeah let's just run Wal-Mart right up. Possibly the most predictable growth trajectory in the whole market and let's run it up to like a 22 FORWARD p/e. Why not, they're selling things on the internet now. That's like, worth more.
Yeah this WMT earnings reaction is insane.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Xtronoc posted:

I know you are being sarcastic but this thing is dead in the Senate with about 90% certainty. The house was never in doubt.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

greasyhands posted:

I know you are being sarcastic but this thing is dead in the Senate with about 90% certainty. The house was never in doubt.

We pay some consultants to give us round the clock updates (not my decision), but they sound more and more optimistic. I’m very confused by the whole thing

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

fougera posted:

We pay some consultants to give us round the clock updates (not my decision), but they sound more and more optimistic. I’m very confused by the whole thing

(if they don't sound optimistic then your company sees less reason to keep them around.)

(consultants are scum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

greasyhands posted:

Yup. It's 52 GOP to 48 Democrats in the Senate. I would consider McCain a likely defector and who knows who else might bail on it over the state tax issue, or over the budget deficits it necessarily produces.