Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senf
Nov 12, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Mariners got Ryan Healy from Oakland. I guess our first base problem is solved?

If you don't care about defense or consistency, then yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Senf posted:

If you don't care about defense or consistency, then yep!

A perfect fit for the Mariners

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Poque posted:

I mostly just love that the A's have traded three "first basemen" to the Mariners in the last year (Valencia, Alonso, and Healy). Can't get enough of them, I guess.

Ryon is a cool dude, but I like the package the A's got in return. It also sets the lineup up really well and, most importantly, will allow Davis to DH every day. Game on.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
so you mean to tell me that jerry dipoto...

...made a trade???

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Poque posted:

Rude

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mike Montgomery still has more major league homers than Dan Vogelbach.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Pussy Boss posted:

What did people think about the A-Rod trade at the time?

One part blinding rage that the league and the union conspired against the Sox and let the Yankees swoop in at the last minute, and a little bit of relief that Nomar hadn't been traded, Manny too I suppose.

Also to continue the parallels, A-Rod had an opt-out in his deal as well, didn't he?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah, he opted out which freed the Rangers from having to pay a portion of his remaining years and oh god were Yankees fans salty

I also can't blame the union for not wanting to set a precedent of allowing contracts to be adjusted downward

e:

Astros pitching coach Brent Strom talking about Beltran posted:

He wore me out telling me how my pitchers are tipping. It finally got to the point where I said, 'I know, I know.' He really helped me a great deal with Lance McCullers Jr and Chris Devenski and everybody. It's really frustrating sitting there, watching your pitcher, and he's whispering in my ear that a changeup is coming. And there it was. Or a curveball is coming, and there it was.

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 16, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Beltran confirmed better at identifying pitch tipping than the entire Dodger's coaching staff.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BELTRAN! :doom:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

In an alternate timeline the Cubs offense is anchored by dual-beefy lads Schwarber and Vogelbach hitting 40+ home runs each and OPSing like 1.200.

gently caress the Cubs but that would've been rad.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Intruder posted:

Yeah, he opted out which freed the Rangers from having to pay a portion of his remaining years and oh god were Yankees fans salty

I also can't blame the union for not wanting to set a precedent of allowing contracts to be adjusted downward

e:

lmao i'm super glad beltran got a ring

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Torii Hunter did this too. It's great. He was in the broadcast booth a few times this year for Twins games and was calling pitches constantly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JoeSchmitKSTP/status/930959854713425920

Apparently he has direct ties to Darvish and Otani :tinfoil:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Darvish is going to sign wherever will pay him, he's the best free agent this year. There's no reason to think he's looking for the strongest pitch deck like Ohtani will be.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

They both surpassed 200 IP and Kluber had a 2.25 ERA in the year of the juiced ball which is pretty crazy, but Sale pipped 300 K's for the first time in his career to Kluber's 265 and (I know the writers don't give a gently caress about this) actually had a marginally lower FIP.

It's not a complete robbery like Porcello's was last year, but the fact that it wasn't even close is really weird.

Kluber: ERA, Wins, W%, CG, SHO, ERA+, WHIP, H/9, HR/9, BB/9, K/BB, WAR

Sale: Total K's, FIP, K/9

It's not weird at all.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeSchmitKSTP/status/930959854713425920

Apparently he has direct ties to Darvish and Otani :tinfoil:

The Twins also just freed up $3 million in bonus pool money they can spend on Ohtani: http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/twins-void-3-million-contract-dominican-shortstop-jelfry-marte How convenient for them :tinfoil:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Kluber: ERA, Wins, W%, CG, SHO, ERA+, WHIP, H/9, HR/9, BB/9, K/BB, WAR

Sale: Total K's, FIP, K/9

It's not weird at all.

STAC Goat also made a perfectly cogent point:

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its not weird the way the voting works. If a bunch of writers all came to the same conclusion of "its close but Kluber's the winner" then you have a landslide even if that wasn't the intent. Only way to avoid that is to collude to throw enough 1st place votes to Sale to make it close. No one else got either a 1st or 2nd place vote so that's as "even" as you can guarantee it without manipulating the votes.

No?

Even if you think Sale was 2nd by a hair, it doesn't matter in the voting results.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Twins also just freed up $3 million in bonus pool money they can spend on Ohtani: http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/twins-void-3-million-contract-dominican-shortstop-jelfry-marte How convenient for them :tinfoil:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/931194473513734145

post your GM's likely GIF of choice ITT

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

The Pussy Boss posted:

This happened weeks ago, but was not reported until yesterday. The amount the Twins have available to spend has not changed from the $3.245m previously reported, which means the Rangers and Yankees can still spend more than them. It's not an additional $3m on top of that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sir Didi for GM.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

:shepspends:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Whose the GM who only responds in emoji and gifs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

David Stearns is 32, so he's probably well versed in emoji and GIFs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So don't look now, but the MLBPA are holding up Otani's posting process and are even threatening to block it entirely unless MLB does something about the discrepancy in pay between Otani and the posting fee his NPB team gets. Presumably they don't like the precedent being set by a young super star signing for pennies.

Of course, the irony is that if the MLBPA had shown even a fraction of that spine during the CBA agreements, the age limit on IFA's wouldn't have been raised and Otani would be getting paid what he's worth :downs:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if I'm a rank and file member of the MLBPA I'd be pretty pissed at the union leadership being so loving stupid

like in what world is this hard luxury tax good for the players; the international pools or whatever limit the money amateurs get and the draft is nonsense as well

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I don’t want to stir up poo poo but I’m bored at work: Wasn’t this Pie Week? Did I miss the pie?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
^^^E: Great minds and all that.

The most important event of this week has not happened yet. Intruder - where is the Tuna Jello Pie?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Kirios posted:

Whose the GM who only responds in emoji and gifs

It's Girsch.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Intruder eat the pie

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The people demand the pie

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When the Twins kept asking for Bellinger in a Dozier trade last winter the Dodgers seven-headed GM monster replied:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

if I'm a rank and file member of the MLBPA I'd be pretty pissed at the union leadership being so loving stupid

like in what world is this hard luxury tax good for the players; the international pools or whatever limit the money amateurs get and the draft is nonsense as well

They got uh...the new QO system?

Seriously, the new CBA is loving baffling, make Scott Boras the new MLBPA head, etc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Intruder died eating that pie, have some re2pect.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pie coming soon

If I wasn't going to eat the pie I wouldn't have eaten the bananas

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 16, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners just traded their fireball rookie reliever Thyago Viera to the White Sox for international money too. Looks like they're going after Ohtani too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Michael Hill’s GIF of choice is that image of Mr. Moneybags with his pockets out because he’s broke, but in animated form

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When AJ Preller first asked the Dodgers about Matt Kemp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:wtc:

• Locked thread