Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

yes but what mechanisms does it have that javascript lacks? can you do x in wasm but not in javascript? what do you gain from wasm that you can’t gain by transpiling?
Right now it literally has no features whatsoever that javascript doesn't, and it can't even talk to the DOM without going through javascript. So in that sense, the answer is really that no, there's nothing it can do that javascript can't.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's a lot of hype around vue.js and not a lot of actual traction as far as i can tell.

i've looked at it several times, it's definitely a step backwards from react, not forwards. it's the exact same MVCrap as the literal hundred other templating languages exactly like it, except idk it kind of half-asses react's shadow dom without actually taking any of the other concepts on board. so i guess a prima donna who turns their nose up at jsx would be the sort of person who thinks vue is a good idea. unless there is something really fundamental that i'm missing from the introductory docs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

static html ftw

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Powaqoatse posted:

static html ftw

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

the execution model and type system is still the same: you get a giant gently caress-off array full of floats and ints, and anything else is bolted on top of that.

if it has ints, it's at least an improvement over js. numeric handling in js is my number 1 least favorite thing in the language

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

asm.html didn't really catch on

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vanadium posted:

asm.html didn't really catch on
If asm.html is like asm.js but for static sites I'm not surprised.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

WebAssembly is allegedly getting thread support, a bit useless otherwise.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

you: please... you can't just make everything a web app
me: *points at passing seagull* web app

mystes
May 31, 2006

MrMoo posted:

WebAssembly is allegedly getting thread support, a bit useless otherwise.
Not true! It's also useful for exploiting Chromebooks!

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=766253

But seriously, I'm interested in seeing people try to make photo editing software and stuff like that in webassembly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't been following webassembly too much, but I don't think anyone is really supposed to make anything in webassembly, it's just supposed to be a compilation target...right? (maybe thats what you meant and i'm just reading too much into your words)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

this guy is really excited about webassembly but I don't know enough to know how accurate his claims are

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't been following webassembly too much, but I don't think anyone is really supposed to make anything in webassembly, it's just supposed to be a compilation target...right? (maybe thats what you meant and i'm just reading too much into your words)
Compilation target yes, but it seems like it's different enough that it will probably be worth targeting directly rather than just using something like emscripten, and so I suspect people will be writing for it specifically.

Once you don't need to go through JavaScript to access the dom, I suspect there will be languages that will only compile to webassembly.

Honestly, seems it seems like JavaScript had just started to get decent I feel a little bit ambivalent about this, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 16, 2017

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

this guy is really excited about webassembly but I don't know enough to know how accurate his claims are

quote:

Right now, Steve’s proof of concept .NET Runtime is a 4MB download for any .NET app. That’s clearly not going to work. As Steve mentions, there are lots of optimizations to do that’ll bring down the size, but the real optimization win is going to be when the next version of WebAssembly comes out, including two big features: plugging into the browser’s VM and access to the DOM. The WebAssembly working group are already discussing both of these (e.g. here’re the notes from a recent meeting discussing garbage collection).

With access to the browser’s VM, a .NET app won’t need to ship it’s own runtime for every app — it’ll just plug .NET objects into the one provided by the browser. Now the .NET runtime for the browser can be trimmed to a bridge to what the browser provides as well as the .NET Framework base libraries. Combine that with “tree shaking” (removing the IL your code never uses), code splitting and on-demand loading and you’ve got a .NET WebAssembly app that even anyone on just their phone can love.

yeah the gc spec is on pause until after host-bindings happens. womp womp. i dont think its going to happen. also "tree shaking" isn't a loving webassembly feature, it's literally dead code elimination and every compiler has had it for years. why do people keep talking about "tree shaking"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
steve sanderson owns.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah the gc spec is on pause until after host-bindings happens. womp womp. i dont think its going to happen. also "tree shaking" isn't a loving webassembly feature, it's literally dead code elimination and every compiler has had it for years. why do people keep talking about "tree shaking"

I think he brought it up in the context of bringing down the size of distributing the. NET runtime, not that it was some exclusive feature that webass was revealing to the world.

(Also, typing. NET correctly is not worth the trouble with SwiftKey)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
sure, and all of the things he mentioned are available with asm.js as well. what did webassembly actually enable?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
better performance and, most importantly, absolutely no javascript.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

better performance and, most importantly, absolutely no javascript.

neither of those are true

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk how you're gonna defend javascript performance vs c, but ok i'll let you die on that hill.

also web assembly is not javascript at all.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Javascript, like lead or syphilis, eventually leads to derangement in those exposed to it over long periods of time. Of course someone is going to defend it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

idk how you're gonna defend javascript performance vs c, but ok i'll let you die on that hill.

webassembly does not give you the performance of c. you bought snake oil.

Shaggar posted:

also web assembly is not javascript at all.

no but it requires javascript to do anything worthwhile.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it may not be totally c level, but its orders of magnitude faster than javascript. and the whole point of web assembly is to remove any need for javascript and since all you ever use javascript for is hacking the dom and web assembly allows this, you no longer need javascript for anything.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

sure, and all of the things he mentioned are available with asm.js as well. what did webassembly actually enable?

i mean, I'm not defending his points about webass because I don't know enough about the subject, I'm just saying I dont understand why you criticized him for bringing up tree-shaking. seems like a valid thing for him to bring up when talking about the fact that, currently, the .NET runtime is too big in webassembly.

maybe compiling the .NET runtime to webassembly already tree-shakes out all the dead code, i dunno. if thats the case then yeah gently caress that guy to hell for saying it

imagine hes talking about asm.js and he said tree-shaking would bring down the size of the .NET runtime, whats the problem?

also, you may be the first person i've seen to say that webassembly doesn't bring higher performance

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

i mean, I'm not defending his points about webass because I don't know enough about the subject, I'm just saying I dont understand why you criticized him for bringing up tree-shaking. seems like a valid thing for him to bring up when talking about the fact that, currently, the .NET runtime is too big in webassembly.

maybe compiling the .NET runtime to webassembly already tree-shakes out all the dead code, i dunno. if thats the case then yeah gently caress that guy to hell for saying it

imagine hes talking about asm.js and he said tree-shaking would bring down the size of the .NET runtime, whats the problem?

because "tree shaking" isn't actually a thing that you can do on c++ code. you can do "dead code elimination", "gc-sections", all that other fun jazz. to me it means that guy has no clue what on earth he's talking about and doesn't know what a compiler is or how webassembly works

Thermopyle posted:

also, you may be the first person i've seen to say that webassembly doesn't bring higher performance

right now webassembly is fast because it doesn't do anything and you need a giant pile of js alongside it that actually does the heavy lifting. i'm less optimistic it will be fast once they add gc, host bindings, etc., because the execution model is much, much worse for generating good code.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

it may not be totally c level, but its orders of magnitude faster than javascript

heavy citation needed. show me webassembly code that's fast and i can show you equivalent javascript that's faster.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Suspicious Dish posted:

"tree shaking"

the term originates with lisps, I believe. It's generally distinct from dead code elimination because it's a whole-program analysis that also removes unused symbols (kinda like 'gc-sections' on a statically linked binary).

some lisp people imported it to the javascript community to describe what things like the closure compiler would do: normally you can't remove symbols in javascript because you can't track what's used, but these tools enforced certain constraints and managed to do it anyway

so a lot of javascripty people have adopted the term because that's how they first learned it

I was surprised the first time I heard it too, but I just give up on fighting people's choices of terminology like this

transpiler ah well

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i first read about tree-shaking in some paper about how nasa made their common lisp image fit into the memory of their sat elite

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

yes but what mechanisms does it have that javascript lacks? can you do x in wasm but not in javascript? what do you gain from wasm that you can’t gain by transpiling?

it has 64-bit integers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

maybe dont write code that wont run????

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
my code always runs
one day i will catch it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If your code runs and your feet smell, you might be upside-down.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
vue is knockoutjs 2016 w/o old browser support. it doesn't do anything new, but it looks like it does what it does well

which isn't saying that what it does is good. vue is all about two-way binding, which is a fundamental mistake

at least it provides a first-party flux-/redux-alike state management lib in the form of the awfully-named vuex, which is a step in the right direction at least

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah, the addition of int64 is honestly really good. i'm going to spend some time in the wasm group and hopefully push good ideas through because boy howdy does this thing need some destinkifying

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah, the addition of int64 is honestly really good. i'm going to spend some time in the wasm group and hopefully push good ideas through because boy howdy does this thing need some destinkifying

does int64 in webasm mean we can use integers in regular js and get sane results

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
no, because it only applies to wasm. any int64 going to javascript goes through as a pair of int32's

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mystes posted:

Blah blah blah turing completeness. But in reality it will make it a lot more practical to replace desktop applications for a lot of stuff.

no it won’t because a web page isn’t a replacement for a desktop (or mobile) application

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

they’re pretending to be Lisp hackers

“tree shaking” is what dead code elimination was called in Lisp environments, because you worked in an image based environment that included the development tools; to build a standalone distribution for your application, you had to grab it by the roots and shake all the tools and stuff out of it

these days Lisp people still work in image based environments, but they build up applications using system definitions so they can get dependency handling, reproducible builds, and so on

and by “these days” I mean “since the introduction of defsystem in the early 1980s”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

if only Brendan Eich had said “only a week? gently caress it, you’re getting Scheme-48 and you’ll like it”

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i mean javascript is not a great language but the biggest problem with javascript is not the actual programming language, it's the dom and everything that goes with it, and lol if you think that would actually have been better with a lisp as the scripting environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
imagine web programmers if they had defmacro