Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The only companionship Aloy needs in the sequel is a robo-doggie that gathers herbs for you and can pet at any time by pressing triangle.

This. I’m sorta glad they deliberately shut down the romance arcs in HZD. Really excited to see where they go with the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Aloy had a decent rapport with Erend, but her chemistry with Talanah was something else.

The new DLC Carja armor is almost identical to Talanah's so now you can hunt with your favorite sunhawk sis in style.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It'd be weird for one of the first big AAA open world RPG franchises to have a woman as the protagonist not offer romance options when literally every other similar title has done the same thing to some extent or another. It's a matter of "why not?"

How about 'why'? Aloy's busy saving the world, she doesn't need to be in a relationship to be a fully-rounded individual.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

The only thing that struck me as weird about HZD's outfits and character designs was maintaining the same style into the DLC where they go to such lengths to make it clear that it's really loving cold. Aloy is constantly shivering and complaining but there are NPCs running around with no sleeves or shirts and snow caking on their exposed skin :stonk:

I actually think that can be explained using the real world. Places all around the world are of varying temps. When I visited Dubai for work it was sweltering for me as I come from rainy England. However the people who live there wore the regular kind of clothes I could not bear to be in. I assume the people in the new dlc are native to that area and do not think anything of it.

(I have not played the dlc yet so if I am wrong whoops! I cannot wait to play it though!)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Morpheus posted:

she doesn't need to be in a relationship to be a fully-rounded individual.

:goonsay:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sorry, are you saying that she does?

VideoGames posted:

I actually think that can be explained using the real world. Places all around the world are of varying temps. When I visited Dubai for work it was sweltering for me as I come from rainy England. However the people who live there wore the regular kind of clothes I could not bear to be in. I assume the people in the new dlc are native to that area and do not think anything of it.

(I have not played the dlc yet so if I am wrong whoops! I cannot wait to play it though!)

From what I've noticed, most people are covered with furs - the ones that aren't tend to be a little mystical, shamans and such, and are covered with glowing blue, uh, wires, or something, which I assumed were doing something. I might be forgetting others though.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

haveblue posted:

The only thing that struck me as weird about HZD's outfits and character designs was maintaining the same style into the DLC where they go to such lengths to make it clear that it's really loving cold. Aloy is constantly shivering and complaining but there are NPCs running around with no sleeves or shirts and snow caking on their exposed skin :stonk:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You'd think goons would take comfort in the idea that you can lead a meaningful and fulfilling life without being with someone.

:downsrim:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 16, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like the part where Petra flirts with Aloy and she's all confused

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
PS4 Pro Black Friday deal at GameStop for $349. Slim is $199 with a $50 gift card.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I like the part where Petra flirts with Aloy and she's all confused

She catches on pretty quick after that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Morby posted:

PS4 Pro Black Friday deal at GameStop for $349. Slim is $199 with a $50 gift card.

Are you sure that's new and not used?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fuzz posted:

This.

Or even better, it all happened offscreen between games, and it's only mentioned on the side in a non-denominational, "yeah, I have someone waiting for me back home after this. Now let's get back to work..." type of deal.

Her life continued to move like a normal person, but it's just not relevant to the game.

It worked for Raiden in Metal Gear Rising

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That seems expensive for black Friday. I bought mine for 299€ in some random sale over here. Are you lot getting shafted price wise? Weird to see the U.S. prices higher for once.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Morpheus posted:

The amount of goons who seem to want Aloy to shun human companionship ITT is just amusing to me is all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The amount of goons who seem to want Aloy to shun human companionship ITT is just amusing to me is all.

:rolleyes:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Morpheus posted:

No he's saying that most goons are not in relationships and most goons are also fully round

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Are you sure that's new and not used?

It’s new.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When did we start expecting romance options in games about robot dinosaurs and poo poo? I agree that relationship stuff has made pretty much all games except possibly the Witcher 3 worse and I’m definitely mostly talking about bioware games but they also totally ruined GTAIV

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only game with good romance options is Saints Row 4

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

haveblue posted:

The only game with good romance options is Saints Row 4

How can you say that when Dragon's Dogma exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbLL3J0__o

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Renoistic posted:

How can you say that when Dragon's Dogma exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbLL3J0__o
The best thing about DD "romance" is how obtuse it is for first time players. The worst thing is that Symone has voiced lines which means she's intended to be a romance :gonk:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Romance options bolted onto games otherwise wholly not about that are halfassed and dumb at best.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

The worst thing is that Symone has voiced lines which means she's intended to be a romance :gonk:

goddammit dogma :whitewater:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I like seeing video game characters kiss

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Bloodborne has romance. You can even propose!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Motto posted:

Romance options bolted onto games otherwise wholly not about that are halfassed and dumb at best.

Sorry developers but the gamers have spoken, and they say "we're horny af."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Bloodborne has romance.

I'm in love... with the game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Edmond Dantes posted:

Bloodborne has romance. You can even propose!

poo poo, you can get married in Dark Souls III

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Norns posted:

Horizon zero Dawn is better for not having dumb relationships and sex trash

There's no reason it has to be Witcher-level bad :shrug:

Bust Rodd posted:

When did we start expecting romance options in games about robot dinosaurs and poo poo? I agree that relationship stuff has made pretty much all games except possibly the Witcher 3 worse and I’m definitely mostly talking about bioware games but they also totally ruined GTAIV

No, actually Witcher 3's portrayal of women and sexuality in general is embarrassing. It's like watching The Room.

Pablo Gigante posted:

poo poo, you can get married in Dark Souls III

Oh, I definitely "penetrated" Anri of Astora.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The new DLC Carja armor is almost identical to Talanah's so now you can hunt with your favorite sunhawk sis in style.

I didn't notice that until I was running around Meridan to remember when the hell everything was and saw her in it. Gonna be fun in NG+! Speaking of Talanah, it always bummed me out that she doesn't appear in the post final-boss cutscene. I know she's one of those "optional allies" but she helps out with that fight dammit and should show up!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No, actually Witcher 3's portrayal of women and sexuality in general is embarrassing. It's like watching The Room.

Oh, I definitely "penetrated" Anri of Astora.

The relationship between Yennefer and Geralt is probably the best written relationship in any game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I really wanted to tell yennifer to gently caress off lol but my gf got mad at me and made me reload my save cuz she enjoys the romance subplots in these games. She kept nagging me to flirt with the vulnerable French robot lady in fallout 4 but I put my foot down on that one

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

The relationship between Yennefer and Geralt is probably the best written relationship in any game.

Some dreamy daddies would like a word with you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Andrast posted:

Helps though that the game starts off with the characters already having known each other for decades.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

Helps though that the game starts off with the characters already having known each other for decades.

Nothing is stopping other games from having already existing relationships

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Andrast posted:

"best written for a game" is not a particularly high bar to surpass

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Best romantic relationship in any game is Roadhog/Junkrat

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oh, hi Dandelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

fridge corn posted:

"best written for a game" is not a particularly high bar to surpass

True, but I think the Geralt/Yen thing works especially with all the book story.

It's definitely the least bad romance in a game even if it's not exactly Before Sunrise or something