Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I...feel like this Evil Sioux Activist thing is super offensive somehow but can't quite articulate the reasons.

Also this will be the second Big Bad we have who's wheelchair-bound, if we count Thawne-Wells from s1. That's also............iffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKwNIP9OWg

I decided to stop saying "someone should do it" and did it.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Bruceski posted:

This is awesome, wanna know why?

You do, do you?

Too bad cuz

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Bruceski posted:

Highly approve. Now do a cut of Dibny pulling out his balloon animal hand where the little girl screams like any actual kid would.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Elongated man's super-crappy suit is pretty :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Elongated man's super-crappy suit is pretty :allears:

Anyone who's done prototyping knows the horror of a suit like that. Pretty is the last step after everything works.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Looks better than the Iron Fist costume. :hehe:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I...feel like this Evil Sioux Activist thing is super offensive somehow but can't quite articulate the reasons.

Yep. On the one hand, yay cultural awareness and showing some degree of nuance with it, because, you know the lady had a point with how lovely Native American culture, history, and peoples have been treated over the course of US history... But yeah overall that was really lovely and uncomfortable.

Though given what's come out about the Flash writers team and EPs, the cringeyness of certain things lately is starting to make a LOT more sense.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

BrianWilly posted:

Also this will be the second Big Bad we have who's wheelchair-bound, if we count Thawne-Wells from s1. That's also............iffy.

Native Americans and handicapped people are all evil and set out to destroy the world

Oh wait the handicapped person was actually just pretending to be handicapped so its not problematic. Let's do that same thing TWICE This means that you shouldn't trust anyone who appears to be in a wheelchair because they're probably secretly an evil genius and are just faking their condition.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 15, 2017

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
"we have to work as friends"

"friends... with benefits?" :heysexy: "yeah no we're not doing that"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bbf2 posted:

Native Americans and handicapped people are all evil and set out to destroy the world

Oh wait the handicapped person was actually just pretending to be handicapped so its not problematic. Let's do that same thing TWICE This means that you shouldn't trust anyone who appears to be in a wheelchair because they're probably secretly an evil genius and are just faking their condition.

fwiw we’ve never seen DeVoe leave his future chair either so he might actually be a legit paraplegic person. We’ll probably find out the truth soon enough tough.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Ralph Dibny may actually be the best non-Harrison Wells thing this show has ever done. He's the perfect foil to Barry and Cisco.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If it wenre't for that murder the Black Bison would've been unarguably the good guy in this episode

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Guy Goodbody posted:

If it wenre't for that murder the Black Bison would've been unarguably the good guy in this episode
Dibny and Barry seemed to agree, considering what became of the necklace at the end.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I don't know if it would make Wells the Grey better or worse if it was revealed he was cosplaying at a convention at the time.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

Dibny and Barry seemed to agree, considering what became of the necklace at the end.

This is part of the problem. If stealing the artifact to return it to the tribe was something they signed off on, and it was okay when Dibny & Barry did it, then why stop her at all? It's like it's only bad when she does it. The justification being, of course, it's bad when she does it because her ways are savage, and their ways are civilized.

If they're going to recognize her goals as noble, they gotta recognize her as noble, too, or else it comes off as "it's only ok when us civilized types do it". They could have just worked with her, tried to help her do things without killing people. Flash has worked with tons of murderers before, including himself.

edit: Also it continues to be a pretty big problem for me that they're really working hard to show that Dibny's hi-larious quirk is that he is a walking sexual harassment lawsuit who sees women as nothing but physical objects meant for his own pleasure. It was already a pretty bad climate for that, and now with Andrew Kreisberg? Oof.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 15, 2017

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

XboxPants posted:

This is part of the problem. If stealing the artifact to return it to the tribe was something they signed off on, and it was okay when Dibny & Barry did it, then why stop her at all? It's like it's only bad when she does it. The justification being, of course, it's bad when she does it because her ways are savage, and their ways are civilized.

If they're going to recognize her goals as noble, they gotta recognize her as noble, too, or else it comes off as "it's only ok when us civilized types do it". They could have just worked with her, tried to help her do things without killing people. Flash has worked with tons of murderers before, including himself.

It isn’t just that she killed people, it’s that she killed completely innocent people for no reason when all she really wanted was to steal the necklace. Flash & friends have killed before but, unless I’m forgetting something, it’s only been in self-defense or when the villain has left them with no other option. And she had already killed one person by the time they became aware of her existence so it's not like they could just overlook that.

I think they wasted the opportunity to make her a more complex character. Unlike most of the villains-of-the-week on this show who are motivated by greed or petty revenge, she actually claimed to be acting in the name of a worthy cause, but she ruined that by going about it in such a cruel way.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Between pervy Ralph's antics and pervy Mon-El's antics on Supergirl last year, along with the whole Kreisberg thing...I am in fact a bit concerned about what exactly entails these production teams' ideas of "funny" "jokes" to show just how what aw-shucks rapscallions these characters are.

I'm like 45% sure that Ralph and Barry won't be having incredibly problematic sex drama like Kara and Mon-El did, but it still sucks because Ralph is frankly a really awesome character (as was Mon-El, at first) and I'm definitely wary of them going too far down a "let's make him really skeevy about women 'cuz that's relatable, right?" route.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Want to visit the Flash writers room to meet the folks who think being an social justice activist is a good back story for a villain and that trafficking in stolen cultural artifacts is not a crime.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why didn't Barry go after her since it took him like 2 seconds to destroy the suit? Dibny was right.

Barry has the object permanence of an infant so when he can't see the villain's face anymore he thinks they are gone.

That's why bad guys constantly just straight walk away while he isn't looking or go out of doors right in front of him and get away over and over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Proposition Joe posted:

Want to visit the Flash writers room to meet the folks who think being an social justice activist is a good back story for a villain and that trafficking in stolen cultural artifacts is not a crime.

Uhh... Have you heard the recent stories about the Arrowverse writers rooms? I'd say that's your answer right there.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Proposition Joe posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

Uhh... Have you heard the recent stories about the Arrowverse writers rooms? I'd say that's your answer right there.

Yeah it was easy to miss this in the news because there was over a dozen more famous men working in entertainment who were also implicated, but the showrunner/head writer for this show (Andrew Kreisberg) was one of the people outed in the sexual harassment/attempted rape allegation train. He's been fired now but would have still been the head writer when this episode was created.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

bbf2 posted:

Yeah it was easy to miss this in the news because there was over a dozen more famous men working in entertainment who were also implicated, but the showrunner/head writer for this show (Andrew Kreisberg) was one of the people outed in the sexual harassment/attempted rape allegation train. He's been fired now but would have still been the head writer when this episode was created.

Luckily, Guggenheim is free and clear of all suspi

https://twitter.com/offtothegraces/status/930228958355849216

Oh, nuts.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It’s organic misogyny.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

XboxPants posted:

Oh, nuts.

He uses "reverse sexism" unironically

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/929815593624014849

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Darn, when Guggenheim is inevitably taken down and fired for this I'm going to miss his insane tumblr page where he has meltdowns trying to respond and cater to anonymous Olicity shippers.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Arrow is going to do a black lives matter episode this season and I'm anticipating that dumpster fire to occur already

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know Flash is basically the most powerful superhero and is hard to write dangerous situations for, but don't just pretend someone walking out the loving door is a good escape. It's kind of insulting. He can search the whole city within minutes, if it's not a speedster there's no excuse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Invalid Validation posted:

I know Flash is basically the most powerful superhero and is hard to write dangerous situations for, but don't just pretend someone walking out the loving door is a good escape. It's kind of insulting. He can search the whole city within minutes, if it's not a speedster there's no excuse.

He needs someone in his ear telling him to try going faster or he can't accomplish anything.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

And why did the caveman give him so much trouble when he was able disintegrate the suit of armor just by walking through it?

Still not a bad episode, though. The Council of Wells stuff was great.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bakeneko posted:

And why did the caveman give him so much trouble when he was able disintegrate the suit of armor just by walking through it?

Still not a bad episode, though. The Council of Wells stuff was great.

haha how dumb was it when he just stood with his back to the caveman like "I'm sure this won't come into play in a minute here"

I liked this episode alright although my biggest complaint was that the monsters of the week are getting a little bottom of the barrel. Hoping we get some of the recurring villain/Rogue cameos worked in soon. I like the comic booky/Batman '66 vibe of the first season where you had these guys showing up every few episodes and having more of a cat and mouse thing happening. Plus we need to see like a big Iron Heights breakout at some point.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Bring back Spartacus as Weather Wizard, drat it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think the key takeaway from the Council of Wells is that, if it came to it, Wells would totally punch a baby :stare:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I liked the joke but mad max wells seemed like a joke they couldn't quite execute and still left in there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

No Butt Stuff posted:

I liked the joke but mad max wells seemed like a joke they couldn't quite execute and still left in there.

I was waiting for the reveal that he wasn't actually a cyborg at all.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

XboxPants posted:

Oh, nuts.
I mean after what happened to Laurel, are we really that shocked about this?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah, kind of wish they'd kept Wells the Grey, instead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want Dibny to show up next episode improving his costume by adding a big 4 on the chest and going "because i have 4 limbs!", that or dyed it red and is wearing sunglasses.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

I want Dibny to show up next episode improving his costume by adding a big 4 on the chest and going "because i have 4 limbs!", that or dyed it red and is wearing sunglasses.

I don't care how many times they call him Ralph, that is Eel goddamn O'Brien in everything but name and costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't care how many times they call him Ralph, that is Eel goddamn O'Brien in everything but name and costume.

The more I see this guy, the more I wonder why they didn't just go all in with Plastic Man.