Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Having an image of a dwarf eating at a table and you hear a buncha muffled screaming and footsteps claw scratches and he looks up to see a cheetah chasing the goblin through the ceiling tubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm thinking of falling back into this for the first time in years. I like long games with excessively large and sprawling underground civilisations of grand design and too much population, so

- Are there any major bugs with 43.05 that you have to build in workarounds that I should know about
- Are there any specific strategies right now to maintain my FPS in the long run, things I should avoid or whatnot, ways I should lay things out, stuff I should murder or never open.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 17, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Framerate: Ease pathfinding by keeping the population under control, designate traffic zones, and avoid mining out big open areas. Use quantum stockpiles. Chop all the trees. Turn temperature off.

Train a farmer, cook, and glassmaker up ASAP because Quarry Bush Leaves Roast and Glass Serrated Disc traps are game-breakingly OP.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

verbal enema posted:

Having an image of a dwarf eating at a table and you hear a buncha muffled screaming and footsteps claw scratches and he looks up to see a cheetah chasing the goblin through the ceiling tubes

It is my great dream.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kenning posted:

It is my great dream.

the best bit of DF hopefullness is that it will probably happen

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Of course Toady will rationalize fear by modeling the endocrine system and every creature will have separate adrenaline and cortisol values.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Of course Toady will rationalize fear by modeling the endocrine system and every creature will have separate adrenaline and cortisol values.

If this ever happens dudes ITT are gonna be draining adrenaline from various creatures and slamming it into the veins of their warriors before battle and it's gonna be amazing.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
But...can you harvest the fear from the blood of your enemies?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Big open areas alone are not a problem with pathfinding. As in, if you have some central staircase going right to hell, and mine out a few of the Z levels in between, the cost for the pathfinding code ought to be the exact same. since you're just pathing straight through it, it doesn't add anything in terms of cycles, mostly.

the bigger problem is more lack of direct paths combined with specifically placed, semi enclosed big spaces. more or less, if you see you've got any two points in your fort where trying to move to closer proximity spaces results in the walking distance between the two growing, you probably want to make a more direct option.

the problem also is that "big spaces" can mean "giant rooms", but can also mean stuff like "your housing district of a bunch of tiny rooms and corridors that are inbetween a workshop area and a resource site while not actually linking the two" entire z-levels seperated by a choke point" or other dumb things

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Big open areas alone are not a problem with pathfinding. As in, if you have some central staircase going right to hell, and mine out a few of the Z levels in between, the cost for the pathfinding code ought to be the exact same. since you're just pathing straight through it, it doesn't add anything in terms of cycles, mostly.

I mean you say that, but we are talking Toady One code.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He just uses A* for pathfinding, right?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 17, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

He just uses A* for pathfinding, right?

Vanilla A*? There are a lot of optimised versions that'd be highly applicable to DF, potentially orders of magnitude so. Plus there's caching, shared optimal paths, reusing paths fom last frame after rechecks...

Hell, a straight up implementation of the A*/Jump Point Search would probably be fantastic for DF; it's fantastic at disregarding large open space noise (simple speed comparison)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 17, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't remember the details but it's not vanilla A*. That said I'm sure there are optimizations that could be taken advantage of.

I know it is boring but I wouldn't mind a release cycle of just 'let's go back and optimize things with FPS in mind' because no matter what you do a 15+ year old fort will be down in the 50s-60s at best and it only goes downhill from there.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

I don't remember the details but it's not vanilla A*. That said I'm sure there are optimizations that could be taken advantage of.

I know it is boring but I wouldn't mind a release cycle of just 'let's go back and optimize things with FPS in mind' because no matter what you do a 15+ year old fort will be down in the 50s-60s at best and it only goes downhill from there.

I know Toady is super jealous of his code and doesn’t really feel compelled to cater to his users (his primary “customer” just being himself) but didn’t he once open up some parts of the code with simplified examples, and people provided him with a huge improvement?

I wish he’d do that again, especially have a standard UI package and clean up a lot of other weirdness.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He’s also just a human being with limited time and patience for the unfun part of programming. The guy loves to work on new things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

I know Toady is super jealous of his code and doesn’t really feel compelled to cater to his users (his primary “customer” just being himself) but didn’t he once open up some parts of the code with simplified examples, and people provided him with a huge improvement?

I wish he’d do that again, especially have a standard UI package and clean up a lot of other weirdness.

As I recall, it's been a few years, but he never had any formal training or exposure to proper software development and never actually designed or architecture the program or used proper patterns or optimised approaches because they weren't really things he knew, so it's all a chaotic and impossibly inefficient tangle of horror that makes Notch's work on minecraft look like artistry. But it works and it turns out that you can make something great if you just keep piling on it for a decade and don't care much about performance. He has the maths background to let him figure out the generation and interactions, but not the software development skill to do structure it well.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 17, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Toady One posted:

11/15/2017
Toady One That took a while, and there were many deaths, but it seems the infiltrating companions are sorted out now... I manifested with a party of bound companions this time, named "Buddy A", "Buddy B" and "Buddy C". All the same, when confronted by a goblin glassmaker near a watch tower, Buddy A quick-wittedly shouted out "My name is Tode. I'm a human beast hunter from <correct entity name>." And for now, that works. Buddy A held this identity until we made our way out of the site. Your buddies don't yet screw up for any reason. You can screw up, if your identity is chosen very poorly.

Some bugs next!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

COMRADES posted:

This isn't really true. It's possible to maintain an FPS-stable fort indefinitely, it just requires being disciplined about a lot of things that are potentially really drat boring to be disciplined about. (And also not having certain map features, and also turning weather and temperature off, and using the "cleanmap" command periodically, and...)

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This isn't really true. It's possible to maintain an FPS-stable fort indefinitely, it just requires being disciplined about a lot of things that are potentially really drat boring to be disciplined about. (And also not having certain map features, and also turning weather and temperature off, and using the "cleanmap" command periodically, and...)

Biggest thing I've found is to use DF Hack to occasionally teleport all of the broken socks and stuff into magma.

Sucks that it has to be done but, until Toady implements dwarves making the decision to trash stuff themselves, it will have to do.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You're right that you can get it stable in the 30s-50s for a long long time but it still limits the amount of complex contraptions you can have going. Like, I can make a trap room that raises the bridges fills with magma and then resets all automatically based on a logic circuit running on water pressure but that right there is hell on the FPS.

Turning temperature off is too much for me. It breaks a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect it to. I do the other stuff like cleaning with dfhack though.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 17, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah a good FPS requires turning off a lot of the most fun things. Forget about waterfalls and canals and anything with fluid mechanics.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Every great hall I make has to have at least one waterfall and ideally lots.

By the time I succumb to FPS death I'm usually bored of the fort anyway.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

By the time I succumb to FPS death I'm usually bored of the fort anyway.

Live fast, die young, leave a pretty fort; that's what I always say.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Jothan posted:

Live fast, die young, leave a pretty fort; that's what I always say.

See the only problem with this is I don't tend to leave behind pretty forts so much as vomit and miasma ridden hellscapes infested with a few wandering mad dwarfs and 200 elves stuck in a flaming wooden pyramid.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Pharnakes posted:

See the only problem with this is I don't tend to leave behind pretty forts so much as vomit and miasma ridden hellscapes infested with a few wandering mad dwarfs and 200 elves stuck in a flaming wooden pyramid.

Naw that's still pretty
:rock:

PRETTY METAL!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

You fought well . .

She died just outside the hospital. Couldn't breathe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah a good FPS requires turning off a lot of the most fun things. Forget about waterfalls and canals and anything with fluid mechanics.

Waterfalls are a problem, but fluid dynamics are fine as long as you engineer it to be on-demand rather than always-on. I always design my reservoirs with a fill and drain system.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

shame on an IGA posted:

Framerate: Ease pathfinding by keeping the population under control, designate traffic zones, and avoid mining out big open areas. Use quantum stockpiles. Chop all the trees. Turn temperature off.

Train a farmer, cook, and glassmaker up ASAP because Quarry Bush Leaves Roast and Glass Serrated Disc traps are game-breakingly OP.

does temperature off just change weather and stuff or does it gently caress up magma still? and dwarves getting frozen in rivers is extremely important to gameplay

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Verviticus posted:

does temperature off just change weather and stuff or does it gently caress up magma still? and dwarves getting frozen in rivers is extremely important to gameplay

Weather is a separate option. Turning temperature off breaks magma and freeze/thaw cycles and temperature-related damage and also apparently dwarves will refuse to set foot in a cast obsidian tile or any other tiles previously occupied by magma?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Will the dwarfs ever stop re-electing the vampire mayor who has been locked in his room for years after being convicted of three murders?

"Sure, he's killed some folks, but he likes dogs. I say we let him have another term."

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

as a citizen of a democracy, that sounds like a feature

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Basically the dwarf with the most friends and acquaintances will win and since vampires usually have very good social skills they win a lot. Have a dwarf do nothing but hang out in meeting areas and eventually that dwarf will probably be mayor.

When I want to make a Gremlin or other intelligent [CAN_SPEAK] animal my mayor I just pasture them in the tavern and/or dining room and they eventually get elected mayor since all they do is chat with other dwarves. Good mayors since they don't make demands/orders.

On a sidenote if you find a dwarf with no item preferences and make them a noble they'll never issue any orders or make demands either. Can be hard to find one but it's pretty nice when your baron/duke isn't telling you to make 3 tables every other month.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 19, 2017

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

so much vomit everywhere!!!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
New devlog makes NPC companions smarter than quite a few players.

new devlog posted:

That took a while, and there were many deaths, but it seems the infiltrating companions are sorted out now... I manifested with a party of bound companions this time, named "Buddy A", "Buddy B" and "Buddy C". All the same, when confronted by a goblin glassmaker near a watch tower, Buddy A quick-wittedly shouted out "My name is Tode. I'm a human beast hunter from <correct entity name>." And for now, that works. Buddy A held this identity until we made our way out of the site. Your buddies don't yet screw up for any reason. You can screw up, if your identity is chosen very poorly.

Some bugs next!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
According to the bug tracker, Toady fixed tree dwarves and unpulpable zombies yesterday.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol I'm trying out Adventure mode after many years and it's p. weird. I was looking for a specific dwarf because everyone said he'd know where my hunt targets were, and so I'm going around the Hillock shouting in every room asking about this person. One dude is like, I seek death, take me with you. I agree, and we continue looking for this person. By now I've gone inside every room twice. Nobody knows where this person is. Finally, my companion speaks up and says, oh yeah, I'm that person you keep asking about.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lpzie posted:

lol I'm trying out Adventure mode after many years and it's p. weird. I was looking for a specific dwarf because everyone said he'd know where my hunt targets were, and so I'm going around the Hillock shouting in every room asking about this person. One dude is like, I seek death, take me with you. I agree, and we continue looking for this person. By now I've gone inside every room twice. Nobody knows where this person is. Finally, my companion speaks up and says, oh yeah, I'm that person you keep asking about.

One time I recruited the first two people I met. When one of them was mortally wounded by a cyclops I asked him about his family so I could tell them he died in battle. To my horror his wife was the other person I had recruited.

He got better though and killed most of the night beasts we fought even though he was crippled in one leg.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/933541131513507841

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Give thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1gF0uhHsqk

:frog: posted:

This is the artifact release, featuring the ability to send your dwarves off to cause trouble in the world, improved kobold sites, cover identities, artifact questers, and a bit of artifact diplomacy.

In fort mode, the 'c' screen which used to list civilizations still does that as a suboption, but its main purpose now is to show the world map and allow you to interact with it. You can either raid a neighbor generally, or send off squads to recover specific artifacts or rescue particular people (in which case, the squads will still bring back other artifacts and prisoners, but focus on the goal.) A squad questing after an artifact will seek out information if the first site doesn't work out, and this might take several months, so be prepared. Squads can also be captured during raids, though typically someone will return to tell the tale. When squads return, a report will become available; a yellow 'R' will appear over on the left margin, and pressing 'r' will let you see it. Sometimes reports are quite lengthy as squads stumble from tavern to tavern; you can press enter to skip to the end of the path animation.

There are some rough edges here! Be sure not to send off your commander if you are planning to reorganize your military, as they are the only one with the power to assign new squads and cannot do so while off the map. There was a last-minute hiccup with artifacts known to be held by people (rather than stored on sites); these fort-mode missions will be fruitless for the moment; the most common instance here is books authored by people that then hang on to them, so don't try to steal their books! It says on the map screen when an artifact is held by somebody, so it should be easy to avoid. Raids do not bring back non-artifacts or build skills; these issues may or may not be addressed in the short-term depending on difficulties that arise.

The interactions with heroes and invading armies are more straightforward. There will either be 'P'etitions or a diplomacy popup to handle.

In adventure mode, you can assume a cover identity. You do this from the 'k' conversation menu (if you are already talking to somebody, it'll be hidden in "start new conversation".) If you choose to link your identity to a civilization, you'll be carrying that baggage with you, especially when you are being interrogated by goblin guards, so one should be prudent. To turn off the identity, go back to the "assume an identity" menu and choose the 'x' "no identity" option. You can also reuse existing identities from this menu.

People in adventure mode that are seeking an artifact will list "missing treasure" among their troubles, and you can then inquire further.

In order to name an object, use 'I' to interact with it, and it'll be one of the options for appropriate objects. For example, you can give a name to your spear or waterskin, but not to the water or food you start with.

There are also various adventure rough edges. For instance, if you pick up and then immediately replace a museum piece in adventure mode, and then tell somebody about it, you'll get credit as a Treasure Hunter. It'll be difficult to fix that without additional property information, etc. It's also generally hard right now to find artifact quests, as most things are in their proper place and/or not subject to an outside claim. We'll be working with this a bit as we generally work on stabilizing the release.

Overall, many of the changes occurred under the hood, in preparation for the myth and magic release, but now the magic release will be able to incorporate artifacts of all kinds without additional delay, so hopefully it was time well spent.

As usual, your old saves should work, but please back them up before diving into the new release! It is quite likely that forts will fall into technical ruin as bugs come up and are handled at this early stage. Old forts won't have object additions like the pedestals and display cases, but they should be able to send out raids from the 'c' screen.

We will be focusing on the worst bugs (crashes etc.) at first, and then we'll broaden out into other bugs, old and new, and minor suggestions/usability improvements, as well as a general smoothing out of the new features. We're still working on the design side of the first magic release, so we anticipate we'll be doing smaller releases for a while.

ADDENDUM: My Linux computer died during the release process, so the Linux version will have to be delayed until we figure that out.

New stuff
  • Ability to send out squads to raid sites, rescuing prisoners and recovering artifacts
  • Display cases and pedestals, museum zones, both in forts and other sites
  • Can view the world map w/ rumors from fort mode
  • Artifacts created during worldgen: dwarf moods, named heroic objects, holy relics, heirlooms
  • New artifact events in play and worldgen: questers seek artifacts and ask for or steal them, invaders demand artifacts
  • New historical events associated to the creation of artifacts (used in fort and worldgen)
  • Agents used by civilizations to gather information, can assume cover identities
  • Improved kobold site maps
  • Goblin site denizens demand an identity instead of immediately attacking every stranger
  • More modding control over pets and other animals
  • Adventurer can assume a cover identity at will
  • Adventurer can name their possessions
  • New adventurer reputations related to artifacts
  • New religious activity: monks, pilgrims and prophets
  • Museums and other room types can be added to fort locations like taverns and libraries
  • Various additional data in the XML export

Major bug fixes
  • Fixed weapon trap crash vs. item breakage
  • Fixed bug preventing monster slayers from visiting those forts with monsters to slay
  • Made animated skulls, hair and other bits easier to pulp
  • Made idle and vermin-hunting dwarves come down from trees more successfully
  • Made thirst/hunger and being pushed out of the way less likely to terminate dances

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Alphabetized broad stock screen categories
  • Fixed problem with historical bodies not respecting wounds/processing
  • Fixed bug causing religions to worship too many gods, with duplicates
  • Made simple burrow beasts start in caves as possible
  • Fixed broken historical collection linkage with beast attacks during festivals
  • Fixed one instance of broken animal person greetings
  • Stopped natural animals from w.g. rampaging through sites owned by entities at peace with wildlife
  • Took age into account for w.g. fights vs. body size (e.g. proper dragon size)
  • Stopped people from being enough to satisfy a need to see great beasts
  • Made visitors less nervous about going to neutral locations

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:frogsiren:

Windows: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/df_44_01_win.zip
Mac: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/df_44_01_osx.tar.bz2

EDIT: Ninjaed