Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

The Dough Boys (AKA the true "boys" of podcasting) are on the latest how did this get made and it's really good, check it out if you usually dip on hdtgm for the usual reasons (stale format, jason yelling over everyone).

It's right at the beginning, but I think my favorite part of the episode was the ad in the beginning where Paul was quite obviously trying to sound enthusiastic about that dragon war mobile game, and failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Snowmankilla posted:

I am always a few weeks behind, but the whole Harvard vs Second City thing cracks me up every time. I am just confused if they are talking about themselves or each other? Either way I like how much it makes The Boys laugh. :allears:

They are doing each other. In the LA weekly interview they talk about Hayes being a bit jealous of Sean being naturally funny.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Crindee posted:

"I have this really unique specific experience where I was watching all the most popular poo poo back then." I don't think I've ever heard Sean crack himself up that hard
She must have really given him a trademark Lauren-look during that because yeah I've rarely heard him crack up like that, was great

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Seriously though raised by tv is terrible. I'm right in that demo and couldn't make it through the second episode.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm listening to this special Get Up On This where not-Jensen Karp goes to Essen: "I don't know why I'm here, I think I'm going to listen to an hour-long talk in German?" *someone speaking German*

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Unmerciful posted:

Seriously though raised by tv is terrible. I'm right in that demo and couldn't make it through the second episode.

It breaks my heart, I want to love it, but that first ep is pretty awful. *increasingly louder* "ohmygod do you remember the talkboy commercial. OHMYGOD DO YOU REMEMBER DOUG?!?!?!"

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm listening to this special Get Up On This where not-Jensen Karp goes to Essen: "I don't know why I'm here, I think I'm going to listen to an hour-long talk in German?" *someone speaking German*

The one they were advertising the hell outta with Method Man was a thing of beauty.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Raised by TV, less than the topic, is hurt by a no guest format where both hosts are very lazy. Like if the dough boys were Mitch and Evan Susser we'd all be like a fast food podcast? this thing sucks, what a bad topic.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
There's actually no bad podcast topic as long as the hosts have good rapport & they have a good format & ideally have guests. Like I've never watched a real house wives show in my life and Bitch Sesh is probably top 5 for me at the moment. Thread favorite "Holly Wood Hand Book" 's topic is being extremely rude to whoever the hosts can see.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Bitch Sesh is definitely the best show Earwolf has started in the past few years. Nothing else really comes close.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the way lauren lapkus interfaced with the boys' gaslighting really entertained me this week.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I am enjoying Raised By TV so far. I mean, yeah, it's not super structured and probably not going to run for 500 episodes or anything but it's nice to have something light and fluffy once in awhile. Lapkus and Gabrus have great chemistry and are just so darn affable. I'd put it around JJGo in terms of being something to just sort of half listen to during a commute and enjoy the host's company.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Thread favorite "Holly Wood Hand Book" 's topic is being extremely rude to whoever the hosts can see.

Incorrect. It is both the topic and the format

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
Sometimes the guest phones in for some reason and the hosts can't technically see them also.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

I am enjoying Raised By TV so far. I mean, yeah, it's not super structured and probably not going to run for 500 episodes or anything but it's nice to have something light and fluffy once in awhile. Lapkus and Gabrus have great chemistry and are just so darn affable. I'd put it around JJGo in terms of being something to just sort of half listen to during a commute and enjoy the host's company.

It's pleasant background noise from two comedians I like just chilling. I tune in and say "Oh poo poo, yeah! What was that show with Dave Coulier?" or "They aren't purple monkeys, they were the Purple Parrots and the Green Monkeys." So it's a fun nostalgia romp. I agree, though, that they should get some guests to pop in and share in the nostalgia, and I'm sure they're going to eventually get some awesome call-ins.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I finally listened to The Shrimp Off, and man what a ride.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So, the good news is that Wild Horses: The Perspective is back for more episodes on Stitcher, and you can still do the downloading trick without paying for it. The bad news is it's a 250mb mp3 and when I transferred it onto my microsd card, it immediately corrupted it. So that's nice.

I only had 110gb worth of music/podcasts on there. It's going to take days to put all that stuff back in. Very annoying.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Crindee posted:

"I have this really unique specific experience where I was watching all the most popular poo poo back then."

i almost choked to death laughing at this. it's a perfect roast of that lovely rear end podcast

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Same, Sean is the ultimate in being rude and every podcast is a nostalgia podcast.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

R. Guyovich posted:

i almost choked to death laughing at this. it's a perfect roast of that lovely rear end podcast

/ the perpetual nostlagia that people have for 25 years ago. I can't wait for the next generation to get super excited about the same sorta bs, "remember how much kim possible ruled?!"

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
I love Lapkus and Gabrus but yeah the podcast sucks. Definitely needs guests, like others have said. Some Doughboys style reflection and self loathing wouldn't hurt either, but they seem to be going for super high energy and no irony at all, so it's probably not in the cards.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

As soon as they brought up the talking pretzel I knew Lapkus was gonna drop Stick Stickly, like in my bones I knew, and it turned me off...And I'm key demo because hell yeah I memorized that song, but it kinda validated a thought the feeling I had that the podcast is going to be them half remembering stuff all over the place and then me getting annoyed because either a) I won't remember the show and won't care or b) I'll probably remember it BETTER than them and just get annoyed when they get things wrong. Almost like of it was just a reaction video of them watching a 1997 Nickeldodeon Commercials video on YouTube.

Disclaimer I've only listened a bit but my impressions is that It's kinda like so broad of a concept that it runs out of gas fast. As mentioned, would need some spice like bringing someone in to just add some more depth or someone who actually worked on the project or w/e and can provide insights noone else would've known.

Like UTU2TM worked because Adam Scott Aukerman, although had weaknesses on their knowledge, could talk really loving in depth about the band, the music, the trends at the time, their life, some deeper concepts and observations, and then bring in great guests.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 17, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I haven't listened to Raised by TV yet, but the shining star of UTU2TM is, was, and forever shall be Oliver Subpodcasts.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

drat finally listening to raised by TV and they have an interesting/funny conversation about the reality of being a famous woman for like 2 minutes when Lauren talks about web foot fetish people and then they hard swerve back into things they remember seeing. Think I'm gonna keep this on subscribe for a while & see if they either get a tighter format with some guests or loosen up and actually just have interesting convos.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Raised by TV works for me because its all references five years too early for me and I barely have any idea what they are talking about.

Also the first episode has a bit where Gabrus talks about finding a foot stool outside of his window which is great.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i don't think the problem with the bad nostalgia podcast is that it's occasionally inaccurate in its nostalgia lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

R. Guyovich posted:

i don't think the problem with the bad nostalgia podcast is that it's occasionally inaccurate in its nostalgia lol

But they called the shows Fold House and Trading Sandwiches!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I haven't listened to Raised by TV yet, but the shining star of UTU2TM is, was, and forever shall be Oliver Subpodcasts.

i dont mean to blue turtle over here, but i just gave jerry ferrara a blowjob

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ManoliIsFat posted:

/ the perpetual nostlagia that people have for 25 years ago. I can't wait for the next generation to get super excited about the same sorta bs, "remember how much kim possible ruled?!"

we already are. buzzfeed makes millions off it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Finally getting around to Questions for Lennon, and it is surprisingly good. Lots of repetition, but it's a testament to Mike Hanford's comedic sensibilities that he manages to make stuff like explaining how John Lennon got tired of being dead and decided to come back to life funny every time. His description of his tattoo in the live episode had me laughing for a good 30 seconds - such glorious stupidity, so vividly rendered. ("This Is What It's Like When Worlds Collide - Powerman 5000" put it over the top)

After 2 and a half months of my $1 trial subscritpion, I've come to the opinion that the content provided by Stitcher Premium is very good and well worth the $35/year. If it weren't for the unofficial RSS feeds, though, I'd be very hesitant to renew.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a service with a bunch of fun stuff, but I’ve only found myself listening to Teachers Lounge s1 (which is free on earwolf now anyway) and Andy Dalys CD which I’d heard before anyway. I jumped on that $3/12 months deal so hoping I’ll get into something I couldn’t have elsewhere before it’s up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s a service with a bunch of fun stuff, but I’ve only found myself listening to Teachers Lounge s1 (which is free on earwolf now anyway) and Andy Dalys CD which I’d heard before anyway. I jumped on that $3/12 months deal so hoping I’ll get into something I couldn’t have elsewhere before it’s up.

I've listened to Stolen Idea, which I liked, and all of the CBB 2016 tour (US, AU, UK), so maybe check those out when you find yourself in need of something.

Plus every episode of WTF comes in handy.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I liked Strictly Business too.

Do the old CBBs not download on the rss? I want to relisten to Wompler reading sex scenes from Outlander and crank it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah I do like the CBB lives, and I keep meaning to try this new version of Stolen Idea. I wish I had more time in my life for podcasts, they just never stop coming out!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

mennoknight posted:

I liked Strictly Business too.

Do the old CBBs not download on the rss? I want to relisten to Wompler reading sex scenes from Outlander and crank it

There is/was a paywall but I don't know what's going on with it

A couple days ago I wanted to go back and listen to The Chief's first appearance (gumshoes) but I had to go to some other website where it was hosted because it wasn't on soundcloud anymore

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah yeah I do like the CBB lives, and I keep meaning to try this new version of Stolen Idea. I wish I had more time in my life for podcasts, they just never stop coming out!

Man, back when I had my last lovely job I would just listen to podcasts all day. Now that I actually enjoy my job and am engaged with the work I can't just constantly zone out. It's a bummer.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I used to have a job where I got an hour for lunch, and people would ask me where I got time to listen to so many podcasts. I'd be confused because "it's only an hour what are you talking about"? I now have only a half an hour, and I don't even get it to myself, so now I understand.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I used to do work on grade & would listen to literally 6+ hours of podcasts a day but now I’ve been promoted to office work and it’s much more active and I basically only listen in the gym or on weekends (I can’t focus while listening so I just listen to music.) In nyc I’d get at least an hour a day of subway/waiting around for crap cast time. If I was a big time LA alt comedian and improviser I’d probably listen to a lot of casts due to time driving to all my auditions for insect spray commercials. This is all just my opinions.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Help Im Alive posted:

There is/was a paywall but I don't know what's going on with it

A couple days ago I wanted to go back and listen to The Chief's first appearance (gumshoes) but I had to go to some other website where it was hosted because it wasn't on soundcloud anymore

I pay for stitcher premium... is there a different paywall just for cbb?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Jimmy pardo...but also it’s under an hour. Considering the ads take up twenty minutes will this be short and sweet or short and...sour???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

cams posted:

the idea of jimmy pardo going on hollywood handbook, or even just having to interact with sean out of character, is insanely funny to me and i would donate $20 to make that happen.
holy poo poo it happened, he's on hollywood handbook

there is no way this doesn't end with him earnestly screaming at sean