Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's a different situation though, although I do like the comic. Hitler was a bad dude who did bad things, and people who hear someone say positive things about him are justified in assuming that that person is making a lovely statement.

Same can't be said about eugenics, which is a process that is morally and ethically neutral, but situationally and contextually judged. Could be good, could be bad, depends on the person designing and enacting the process and the outcome derived therefrom. I assume most of your support the eugenical process of attempting to cure cancer, but oppose the apartheids attempt to sterilise the native black populations.

Making the statement that "eugenics is good" and drawing a negative connotation is not justified, because you could only reach that position by being misinformed as to what it actually means or the details under discussion. This diverges from the comic in the sense that there is no actual basis equivalent for the (justified and also accurate) anger at hearing someone express a positive sentiment statement about Hitler. Bad dude.

If you feel anger at hearing the statement "Finland's latest experiments in subject population's retroviral penetration indicate increased effectiveness", please see a psychologist. You're getting mad at people curing leukemia, and you would have known that had you bothered to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Like holy poo poo you're digging in at opposition to my cheap and quick educational lol and defending your right to ignorantly take offence to something instead of learning.

You didn't know what it meant, you got gotcha'd, get over it?

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016
I saw a sudden explosion of posts and I thought to myself "Wow, A18 must be out! Everyone must be talking about it!"

And then it turned out it was just a semantics argument.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Actually A18 can be accessed through the beta function on Steam through the unstable branch.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ZearothK posted:

Actually A18 can be accessed through the beta function on Steam through the unstable branch.

Well yeah, but while it's unstable there is limited mod support. Hopefully it is official soon, Tynan said the 11/14 update was the last content and now it's just bug fixing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

McGiggins posted:

You didn't know what it meant, you got gotcha'd, get over it?

Pretty sure that's not where thats going.

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016

ZearothK posted:

I know, but I'm waiting for official release so I can be sure my mods are updated. I might take a look and see what's already updated, but I'm not holding my breath.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Rimworld A18: No Man's Heil

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What the hell, I've got a few minutes.

McGiggins posted:

Y'all need to lighten up and Google.
Ok I googled it. Top result is Wikipedia, which says Eugenics is "a set of beliefs and practices that aims at improving the genetic quality of a human population.". Ok so eugenics is about improving the genetic quality of the human population as a whole, got it. I'm going to use this definition because you specifically told me to. Let's see how your examples stack up!

McGiggins posted:

Last time I castrated an animal: eugenics.

Unless you were specifically castrating that animal because the animal had a genetic trait that you think would be bad if the animal spread it to the general population by way of its offspring, it's not eugenics. As a vet tech, you probably castrated it because the owners didn't want to deal with taking care of puppies.

Also, are you saying castrating people is a good idea? Because the definition you told me to google for specifically said eugenics is about human populations! Also the discussion that brought this whole topic up was about people, not animals.

McGiggins posted:

Last time I helped administered medical intervention to stop a lethal outbreak of Hendra: eugenics.
Vaccine-imparted disease immunity isn't inheritable. Unless your vaccine is a magical one that imparts permanent immunity to Hendra to the recipient and to its offspring, this isn't eugenics, it's just medicine.

McGiggins posted:

a vaccine is eugenics, as is life saving surgery.
Unless the surgery is specifically performed because the surgeon wants the patient to contribute to the gene pool by reproducing, this isn't eugenics, it's just medicine!

McGiggins posted:

Last time I yelled at an autistic friend: eugenics
Unless you were literally yelling at him in an attempt to influence his reproductive behavior out of a concern for the gene pool of generations future, this isn't eugenics either! If you weren't yelling at him for that specific purpose, then I guess me yelling at you right now is considered eugenics, so you should be proud of me!

McGiggins posted:

As I said, most people have absolutely no idea at all about what eugenics is other than Nazis did eugenics therefore eugenics = bad
Eugenics isn't bad because the Nazis did it, the Nazis are bad because they did eugenics. Castrating or otherwise depriving people of their reproductive rights is bad! Eugenics is bad specifically because it subordinates the good of the real present individual to the good of a hypothetical future people. That's bad!

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Rimworld: Eugenics is real and my friend

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks for this. I'm an infectious disease microbiologist and didn't even want to both with explaining why vaccines are not in fact eugenics on top of the whole pile of other stuff.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I regularly send troublesome pawns to their deaths in a way their friends cant see hehe

I also only take the good downed invaders for their indoctrination/re-education in the prison.

gently caress i am a nazi!

This is silly stop it and post more base pictures pls :)

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Oh a question while im thinking about it, a couple of my top guys are getting pretty old now, in past games they do start getting heart attacks and stuff, can you pre-empt that by giving them an early heart transplant? Does that work?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

Oh a question while im thinking about it, a couple of my top guys are getting pretty old now, in past games they do start getting heart attacks and stuff, can you pre-empt that by giving them an early heart transplant? Does that work?

No, the game randomly triggers age related conditions based on how old the pawn is. It doesn't track the age of individual organs unfortunately. You can only use a transplant to cure an existing condition.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
don't the genemodding mod thingy allow you to make ubermenches anyway or is it just for making exploding chickens

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I started up a base one more time in A17 to give the Tiberium mod a try.

Where's the Tiberium at, yo? I'm going to have to use the dev tools at this rate. Nobody is selling any.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

What the hell, I've got a few minutes.

Ok I googled it. Top result is Wikipedia, which says Eugenics is "a set of beliefs and practices that aims at improving the genetic quality of a human population.". Ok so eugenics is about improving the genetic quality of the human population as a whole, got it. I'm going to use this definition because you specifically told me to. Let's see how your examples stack up!

Unless you were specifically castrating that animal because the animal had a genetic trait that you think would be bad if the animal spread it to the general population by way of its offspring, it's not eugenics. As a vet tech, you probably castrated it because the owners didn't want to deal with taking care of puppies.

Also, are you saying castrating people is a good idea? Because the definition you told me to google for specifically said eugenics is about human populations! Also the discussion that brought this whole topic up was about people, not animals.

Castrating people (preferably chemically) can, in certain cases, be a good idea, even morally required in some cases. An example that helped bring this point to me was a pair of downs syndrome adolescents that had partnered with each other, and according to their own statements, planned to have "at least 10 children" despite the fact that both were judged legally incapable of understanding what that actually entailed, and both were entirely dependant on full-time support staff just to stay alive themselves, especially considering that the partnering of a DS couple has an extremely high chance of passing on the condition to the children as an active trait, and certainly as genetic carriers if it doesn't show as active.

Does the rights of the individual, to self determination, to make widereaching decisions that involve dozens of other people that they are literally not capable of understanding the consequences of supercede the moral right of the society around them to intervene and make a better choice for them that is factually provable to have net less harm?

Mzbundifund posted:

Vaccine-imparted disease immunity isn't inheritable. Unless your vaccine is a magical one that imparts permanent immunity to Hendra to the recipient and to its offspring, this isn't eugenics, it's just medicine.

Unless the surgery is specifically performed because the surgeon wants the patient to contribute to the gene pool by reproducing, this isn't eugenics, it's just medicine!

The Hendra crisis included a some breeding stock, and the application of eugenics in this case was to weed out the affected ones before they contaminate the stud horses. You need not actually pass traits in order for it to be a eugenical act, it merely needs to affect the transmission of traits. Eugenics through culling, which is my favorite kind, as it is the one I am most qualified to do, not being a full rate vet, as it were.

Mzbundifund posted:

Unless you were literally yelling at him in an attempt to influence his reproductive behavior out of a concern for the gene pool of generations future, this isn't eugenics either! If you weren't yelling at him for that specific purpose, then I guess me yelling at you right now is considered eugenics, so you should be proud of me!

Yeah, it is in relation to his potential reproductive efforts, as he needs to stop being such a downer and put himself out there, or he'll never get that big Greek family his mother keeps badgering him about.

Self help advice increases his chances of getting laid instead of paying for hookers, and thus potentially making little greeklings.

Mzbundifund posted:

Eugenics isn't bad because the Nazis did it, the Nazis are bad because they did eugenics.

I disagree with this statement, though it may just be the wording you used. What they did wasn't bad because it was eugenics. What they did was bad because cutting eyes out of twins and swapping them over to see what happens as part of human experimentation is bad. The process of encouraging white mother's and father's to breed together (while stupid) is eugenics, but isn't bad because eugenics itself isn't bad, as I expressed above. It matters what you do, why you do it, and the outcome of the two.

Eugenics is not automatically a -1 to morality.

Mzbundifund posted:

Castrating or otherwise depriving people of their reproductive rights is bad! Eugenics is bad specifically because it subordinates the good of the real present individual to the good of a hypothetical future people. That's bad!

As laid out above, I'm not necessarily convinced that true in all cases. Two people who have higher than normal statistics on any tests might agree to breed together for a child. They have willing decided make a eugenical choice of their own volition and pre-plan and construct a human being based on informed understanding of how dna smooshes together and are attempting to influence this for an optimum result by convince what they consider to be superior genetics (regardless of their race, backgrounds or political affiliations).

Doesn't seem inherently evil to me, consenting_adults.exe.

Abortion is eugenics, and everyone seems to agree that's just dandy. So we can use this as a baseline, and judge that if people are allowed to make eugenical decisions for themselves and their offspring, regardless of how well thought out or ill-advised the choice is, it would necessarily follow that in the DS case exampled above, who are legally required to have all decisions of consequence made for them, could then have their progeny quantity, or their being allowed to have any progeny at all, decided by another, nominally their caretaker.

To me, it burns down to outcome:
If you go around randomly punching women in the stomach or castrating people over 6 foot, that's bad eugenics.

If you have to stop people being born who are carriers for Fragile X, and you can mathematically prove that failure to intervene (either through abortion or genetic modification of the embryo) will be a massive problem in 150 years for whatever reason, possibly causing the end of your space colony or whatever, then it seems if the facts are the facts, then that has to be good eugenics. After all, it's not hypothetical if it's properly done, peer-reviewed and tested science.

I support the supremacy of the individual, but don't think that it extends to forcing everyone around you to live with the results of your current (or planned) decisions. I am not free to swing my fists until they hit your face, etc.

However, I do see situations coming about whether the reverse may be true, and where society may need to punch an individual in the face for some reason or another. I would only ever support such interventions when the processes and reasonings are well known and according to strict guidelines (no filtering out genes because you want a white only kid, for example).

Let me know if you want me to clarify any of the points I have made.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

McGiggins posted:

what in the blue gently caress

okay, that's enough guy

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gadzuko posted:

No, the game randomly triggers age related conditions based on how old the pawn is. It doesn't track the age of individual organs unfortunately. You can only use a transplant to cure an existing condition.

This includes a blocked artery, which DOES contribute to heart attacks, but yeah, just transplanting a healthy heart into an old dude won’t help the dude

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Oh hey guys, so 18 must be out? What's up w-

:yikes:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vasudus posted:

I started up a base one more time in A17 to give the Tiberium mod a try.

Where's the Tiberium at, yo? I'm going to have to use the dev tools at this rate. Nobody is selling any.

I think it was year two or three before I got a tiberium event. Stuff's super rare. I end up buying a few crystals from the first trader that has it, placing it where I want the tiberium to spread from and chucking grenades at it. Broken cases create crystals on the ground. The tiberium spreader events I actually give a bit of the old ultra violence now every time I see them. Scorched earth tactics on it too; destroy the spawner, click each and every single tile around it and cut out every last crystal. Once they're all gone, even the invisible 5% ones, it won't spread from that spot and take over your whole drat map. You're just left with some funny colored dirt.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

This is silly stop it and post more base pictures pls :)

Can do!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

There is a whole debating and discussion forum for complex political, moral and philosophical issues if you would like to use it for this matter, this one is about games, please shut up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It would be so good if you did this thing somewhere else.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Whats the red things below the hydroponics bay on the left?

Like the forward thinking massive hospital! Always be beds for everyone hehe :)

e: are those generator things (like the one to the left of the aforementioned hydroponics bay) from a mod? I've finally got sucked into the mod world ...

e2: actually just noticed your proper hospital at top right, what is that room full of beds?

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 17, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Flesh Forge posted:

It would be so good if you did this thing somewhere else.

really puts me talking about manual hunting protocols in perspective doesn't it hombre

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Base time!

Note the artist area off past the farmland - Shay was the first artist and is an abrasive jackass, so he got an area all to himself until he trundled back to the barracks to sleep. He now has two other colonists come join in the art making, but they're not really friends of his...

I also don't have turrets or killboxes - I've actually never had a raid come from the north, which I'd think would be the best place to attack (wooden wall, I'm looking at you). At this point it's staying as a good luck charm. The use of the river and the bridge building implements means I can have lines of fire protected from melee approach by deep water. Missing is the southern wall door, but there's nothing major there other than including the river into the wall so that my sewage outlets can dump into the river.

I play Randy Some Challenge.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Seaside Loafer posted:

e: are those generator things (like the one to the left of the aforementioned hydroponics bay) from a mod? I've finally got sucked into the mod world ...

e2: actually just noticed your proper hospital at top right, what is that room full of beds?
The red things are fruit trees (probably from vegetable garden mod, but I think there are a couple others that add them as well). Pretty sure the bed room is guest space from the hospitality mod, I don't use it so I'm not 100% sure. Dunno about the generators, it looks like they're just geothermal but I dunno if it's just new art or an upgraded version from a mod.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Coolguye posted:

really puts me talking about manual hunting protocols in perspective doesn't it hombre

A long thorough article of the procedure for manually swapping weapons and queueing hunting jobs would be perfect, please proceed

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I prefer psychopath runs so that morality is not an issue.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

The red things are apple trees, from the vegetable garden mod.

The room full of beds is a guest room for the hospitality mod. Doesn't really need to be that large but I once got caught out by two large groups of guests so now I overdo it on the beds. Plus it's a nice safe area to hide my guests should a raid turn up.

The generators are advanced geothermals from the advanced power generation mod.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
If anyone is thinking about trying the beta but is pausing because of like prepare carefully not being uodated, the random rolls seem more generous and say on a tribal you get five pawns it rolls 8 and you can rubbish 3. Also with caves, the starts are smoother and quicker.

I dare say he tweaked some annoying things related to combat making that less annoying. Multiple llamas have attacked ears without emotion (according to the combat log) and havent fallen off or been destroyed so he may have tweaked that.

Also the positive bonuses change the game if you take advantage so while there are still annoying job tasking an hauling issues etc its a little more balanced overall. Events like inspired to walk 2x as fast today etc pop pretty often.

I mean now loading vanilla and clicking through and accepting the random pawns is totally viable whereas before if you did that 9 times out of 10 it would be worthless pawns. I only loaded a couple of times before i settled on a location but other than swapping around with the extra 3 i didnt have to roll any new pawns. Its a huge improvement imo unless i was bizarrely lucky.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McGiggins posted:

Eugenics through culling, which is my favorite kind

Jesus Christ.

McGiggins posted:

Let me know if you want me to clarify any of the points I have made.

no thank you

I regret everything

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I prefer psychopath runs so that morality is not an issue.

Disgraceful.

DogonCrook posted:

If anyone is thinking about trying the beta but is pausing because of like prepare carefully not being uodated, the random rolls seem more generous and say on a tribal you get five pawns it rolls 8 and you can rubbish 3. Also with caves, the starts are smoother and quicker.

Anything that gets me further away from the insidious temptation offered by Prepare Carefully is good. As I understand it the new caves contain occasional infestations, yeah? Do they act in the same fashion as traditional infestations or do they have a somewhat more docile nature? One of the worst qualities of the classic flavor is in their determination to rush part of your base if the weather goes south, regardless of their position on the map. To say nothing of eternal roof has collapsed messages if a far flung hive has grown out of control.

Also that other conversation needs to go away.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

In one of my base pictures from a couple of pages back, this one https://imgur.com/cAKmd9d , you can see in the bottom right how ive done my hydroponics room, there is a space between everything.

I notice some of you guys just have them stacked together, does that work or is that a mod thing? As in can the pawns walk through them for planting and harvesting?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I don't frequently use hydroponics, but you can close down those gaps a lot if you do truly need gaps. Remember you can access the plants from either side, so you can have 4 bays all touching each other in a large rectangle and each plant will still be accessible. You could even just have a 2x? rectangle(s), but at some point you could use a gap to walk down

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Hydroponics are walkable on, yes.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

That's usually how I set mine up. If I'm running a mountain base I'll place walls, heaters or firefoam poppers in the "open" spaces to prevent infestations from spawning in the room. Usually at least one popper as that's a real material loss if a fire gets into it from a zzt or otherwise.

Pawns have zero issue strolling across and accessing every growing space.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Walking over the hydroponics bay just seems... wrong to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Dusty Lens posted:

Disgraceful.

Anything that gets me further away from the insidious temptation offered by Prepare Carefully is good. As I understand it the new caves contain occasional infestations, yeah? Do they act in the same fashion as traditional infestations or do they have a somewhat more docile nature? One of the worst qualities of the classic flavor is in their determination to rush part of your base if the weather goes south, regardless of their position on the map. To say nothing of eternal roof has collapsed messages if a far flung hive has grown out of control.

Also that other conversation needs to go away.

There is one north of me in a cave system thats open. When a bandit or raid comes they head up there and die. The bugs come out after and head towards me for a bit but they always stop and turn around halfway. I have no idea what thats about but temporarily anyways they are a huge benifit. That cave is just a pile of weapons now lol.