Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Trail runners are fine for trips when I 100% accept my feet are gonna get wet, the heavy boots are fine for snow or with a heavy pack. The goldilocks boots want to be far lighter then the leather boots but will give me wet grass/1" of waterproofing the trail runners lack.

Everywhere I hike is by water or involves bushwhacking, so the trail runners only really see occasional use. My part of the midalantic is so built up that only the lowest and wettest spots escaped development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Bit of a last minute overnight camp at Steep Ravine on Saturday night...pretty nice area/campground. The sites are mostly all spread out away from each other and the views are great.

You could probably see San Francisco in the background if the picture was bigger/better quality:

Campsite

Sunset dinner spot

Was the 2nd attempt to camp with that backpacking tent and our kid. First one didn't work out too well (though we did another trip for several nights with a big tent that we could fit his travel crib in and he did fine), this one he did alright. Fell asleep fine but had a few wakeups at night. Didn't get a ton of sleep myself but all things considered it was a good quick trip.

Things I learned though are that I really need to organize our camping/backpacking stuff so that it's pretty much ready to go when we want to do something because running around trying to get everything together at the last minute sucks.

Oh and also the massive amount of construction they're doing on Hwy 1 near there sucks because we had to wait a couple of hours to even be able to access the campsites because they closed the road temporarily to pour a bunch of cement

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

I don't really get bivys. You can get double walled tents for under 1kg. It is worth every gram to haul a lightweight tent with you.

I think most people who use bivys do so under a tarp. Full weather and bug protection at ~10-12oz and <$150 is attractive to many styles of backpackers.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I give you the sound...of Bushwack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUULD9tQ-98

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bongwizzard posted:

Trail runners are fine for trips when I 100% accept my feet are gonna get wet, the heavy boots are fine for snow or with a heavy pack. The goldilocks boots want to be far lighter then the leather boots but will give me wet grass/1" of waterproofing the trail runners lack.

Everywhere I hike is by water or involves bushwhacking, so the trail runners only really see occasional use. My part of the midalantic is so built up that only the lowest and wettest spots escaped development.

Try a winterized, goretex trail runner, like Innov8 RocLite 305 GTX https://www.inov-8.com/men/shoes/trail-running/roclite-305-gtx-mens-trail-running-shoes-black

Their range probably covers everything in between the two extremes to be honest, and you can get very similar shoes with longer cleats if you need.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
What are some decent but kinda cheap hiking socks? None of that $25 a pair stuff.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Time Cowboy posted:

What are some decent but kinda cheap hiking socks? None of that $25 a pair stuff.

Costco Merino wool socks. 4 pairs for $12. Amazon has them too for nearly as cheap - https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Outdoor-Trail-Merino/dp/B074RM659R/

Cheap, comfortable, warm, lifetime warranty, and I've never worn a hole even in my oldest pair.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Hungryjack posted:

Costco Merino wool socks. 4 pairs for $12. Amazon has them too for nearly as cheap - https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Outdoor-Trail-Merino/dp/B074RM659R/

Cheap, comfortable, warm, lifetime warranty, and I've never worn a hole even in my oldest pair.

Thanks!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Try a winterized, goretex trail runner, like Innov8 RocLite 305 GTX https://www.inov-8.com/men/shoes/trail-running/roclite-305-gtx-mens-trail-running-shoes-black

Their range probably covers everything in between the two extremes to be honest, and you can get very similar shoes with longer cleats if you need.

Thanks!

If I am gonna go waterproof I want a bit higher ankle, but their ROCLITE 325 GTX look like exactly what I am looking for.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Time Cowboy posted:

Just FYI the $20/pair Darn Toughs have a legitimate lifetime warranty. Once they wear out you just exchange them at a retailer that sells them, or ship them to the company in VT.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea with Darn Tough it is actually worth dropping the money for them because it is incredibly easy to replace them and they are infact tough and comfy.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was annoyed that in TYOOL 2017 a backpack doesn't have hydration support. So I hacked my own with some 30D silnylon, a piece of aluminum tube, Velcro, thread and lots of patience. Don't buy seek outside's backpacks if you like to use hydration like source wlps.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Darn Tough socks are great. Other than a few pairs of Injinji toe socks that haven’t worn out yet they’re all I wear anymore.

I feel like Costco recommendations aren’t that useful unless you can already justify the annual membership fee by buying your food by the pallet load. Maybe there’s One Weird Trick to get a free membership. I’d love one of those cheap down quilts they’re selling to make a summerweight underquilt, but after adding the membership fee I could order a nice one from a cottage vendor for less.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Loucks posted:

Darn Tough socks are great. Other than a few pairs of Injinji toe socks that haven’t worn out yet they’re all I wear anymore.

I feel like Costco recommendations aren’t that useful unless you can already justify the annual membership fee by buying your food by the pallet load. Maybe there’s One Weird Trick to get a free membership. I’d love one of those cheap down quilts they’re selling to make a summerweight underquilt, but after adding the membership fee I could order a nice one from a cottage vendor for less.

I refer to them as Costco socks, but you can get them on Amazon as well.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ihmemies posted:

I was annoyed that in TYOOL 2017 a backpack doesn't have hydration support. So I hacked my own with some 30D silnylon, a piece of aluminum tube, Velcro, thread and lots of patience. Don't buy seek outside's backpacks if you like to use hydration like source wlps.

I dislike hydration bladders and that stuff, blah.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Levitate posted:

I dislike hydration bladders and that stuff, blah.

You just haven't used a good one yet :) I personally like https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008S9DYLC/

Quite lightweight, easy to clean, you can swap to a bite valve if you like them more etc.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Loucks posted:

Costco has great budget stuff. I don't see why its not useful. Consider the costco carbon fiber hiking poles. A typical "cheap" set of poles at REI will run you $75-100. For $100, you can buy the carbon poles (30) and a membership (60) for the same price, and a slice of pizza on your way out and still have money left over.

The costco membership ($60) pays for itself multiple times over especially if you buy their gas. Here in Seattle, their gas is often cheaper than other gas stations (by 50 cents or more per gallon). My car has a 23 gallon tank. I save $11 every time I fill my tank. If I average 1 tank per week, thats about $600 savings at the end of the year. Even with the $60 membership fee, we still end up saving more than $500 in our fuel costs for the year. If costco gas is only 5 cents cheaper per gallon than your usual place, you're still breaking even on the membership fee.

My wife and I buy some stuff there, especially the toilet paper and paper towel, dog food, wine, some food stuff but we don't need 5 gallons of fresh mozzarella. Their hiking socks are great as are their "32 degree" baselayers which are usually between $4-8. I've also seen Marmot, Orvis, Patagonia, etc stuff at random times. They sell Klymit bags and pads now. They often have boxes of the mountain house meals for pretty cheap. They have ski passes for cheaper than you would pay at the resort. I don't see how costco recommendations are not useful at this point. Those poles make up more than half of the hiking poles I see on the trail.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ihmemies posted:

You just haven't used a good one yet :) I personally like https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008S9DYLC/

Quite lightweight, easy to clean, you can swap to a bite valve if you like them more etc.

Nope, just really don't like them. Don't like carrying water like that, don't like the tubes, don't like the method. Dunno just annoys me. At least for backpacking, I can see the use for mountain biking or something.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Phone posting so excuse the Instagram filters...

Hiked up Grandfather Mountain on the Profile Trail yesterday, and the Babel Tower trail in Linville Gorge today. I was hoping to do the Grandfather trail as I did it a long time ago when I was a kid, but couldn't justify $40 for the two of us when there's a free trail up the mountain to a different peak.

Highly recommend the Babel Tower trail of anyone's in that area. It's only 3-4 miles but the elevation change makes it fairly tough. Looks like there's decent camping there, too. The track to get there probably wasn't meant for 2wd rentals, but we made it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rime posted:

I give you the sound...of Bushwack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUULD9tQ-98

This is absolutely amazing 😂

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ihmemies posted:

Hydration bladders are a terrible thing. A few years back during a winter backpacking trip, the hose froze on my buddies bladder which broke a seal, and leaked water all over his pack and sleeping bag. Later that night in camp, he tried to dry his bag out over the fire, but instead just set the corner on fire.

Another friend of mine would always fastidiously dry his bladder out by hanging it upside down on his closet door. After one trip, he left it to drip dry and the sunbeam hit it while he was at work, and by the time he came back home, the pouch was solid green.

As for me personally, my girlfriend and I went to Southern Colorado/Moab a few months ago, and she bought a cheap hydration pouch pack for hiking in the desert. Well, the first time it worked ok when hiking around Animus Forks, but then we left the pack in the car one day while we did other stuff. It got hot enough to permanently leach petrochemical flavoring into the water, and despite dumping and refilling, anything out of that bladder was undrinkable from there on out.

Zero problems with the Gatorade bottles full of water in my daypack though. Luckily I packed enough for the both of us while hiking around Arches.

I like the idea of the weight distribution against your back, or if you're running/cycling, but they utterly suck in every other way and are guaranteed to leave you in a bad spot when they inevitably gently caress up. Not to mention that poo poo just nasty.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Phone posting so excuse the Instagram filters...

Hiked up Grandfather Mountain on the Profile Trail yesterday, and the Babel Tower trail in Linville Gorge today. I was hoping to do the Grandfather trail as I did it a long time ago when I was a kid, but couldn't justify $40 for the two of us when there's a free trail up the mountain to a different peak.

Highly recommend the Babel Tower trail of anyone's in that area. It's only 3-4 miles but the elevation change makes it fairly tough. Looks like there's decent camping there, too. The track to get there probably wasn't meant for 2wd rentals, but we made it.

Love Western NC. Are you located near by?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Love Western NC. Are you located near by?

I'm UK based, but my parents have a place on Beech. We came over for a wedding and decided to spend a few days up in the mountains. I'll be back over for Christmas but I doubt the weather will be as nice!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I'm UK based, but my parents have a place on Beech. We came over for a wedding and decided to spend a few days up in the mountains. I'll be back over for Christmas but I doubt the weather will be as nice!

Oh yes I remember your earlier post.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Oh yes I remember your earlier post.

Thanks for your recommendations! We hit Linville Falls too today. We are considering doing Roan Mountain tomorrow but may just chill out as my legs are a bit sore. I've never really had my calves cramp up before.

It's been awesome hiking as we have barely seen anyone on the trails, I guess as it's off-season.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hydration bladders are a terrible thing.
[…]
Zero problems with the Gatorade bottles full of water in my daypack though. Luckily I packed enough for the both of us while hiking around Arches.

Hydration bladders are just so convenient. So are soft water battles. I like to carry a couple of those rolled up at the start of the journey.

But I do carry at least one rigid bottle in the desert.

Speaking of water, how unusual is it to boil water as a primary treatment method?

I feel like it has fallen out of favour, but when it’s a viable option, I take it.

If I’m carrying a stove and pot anyway the extra fuel requirement isn’t onerous over a weekend.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I have a ragged old platypus 3l bladder that I've had for 6-7 years that keeps on trucking. Great to treat 3l of water, drop the pills in and go. Never leaks. I also carry a 1l water bottle on me as a backup depending on what I am doing for length, but...bladders are good. That being said there was one that came with this cheap day pack I bought from costco that just seems to leak randomly and so on, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah, neither Platypus nor Camelbak has ever done me wrong. I've even hiked with one in a compartment of my camera bag and had zero issues.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

gohuskies posted:

No gloves really stay warm and dry in tough conditions. Eventually everything wets through. The answer is to get multiple pairs and rotate them. I have brought as many as three or four pairs of gloves for a day trip during winter conditions - I don't use most of them but two pairs for the climb and a pair or two as backup makes sense.

Ended up getting these for a good price at $40 on Amazon. Going to Tahoe National Forest for Thanksgiving weekend so they'll come in handy. I'll probably mostly use my other less warm pair and bust these out when it gets bad.

https://m.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/ski-gloves/gordini-gtx-storm-trooper-ii

Also went to REI with my 20% off coupon but walked out empty handed. Almost got an Outdoor Research Foray rain jacket, but meh...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Tsyni posted:

I have a ragged old platypus 3l bladder that I've had for 6-7 years that keeps on trucking. Great to treat 3l of water, drop the pills in and go. Never leaks. I also carry a 1l water bottle on me as a backup depending on what I am doing for length, but...bladders are good. That being said there was one that came with this cheap day pack I bought from costco that just seems to leak randomly and so on, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Same here. Platypus and camel back are tried and true for me. I only use platypus now though. No weird taste, no mold or mildew issues, no leaks. They just work.

I've had cheap bladders and no name brands that developed issues or taste like plastic. Personally, prefer bladders over bottles any day. I carry 1 Gatorade bottle on every trip though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think I don’t like the water delivery method. I like drinking from a bottle one way or another

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I think I am gonna just get Atlas 25" snowshoes for $100. You can get MSR Evo plastic ones for that price, but I'm at the weight limit (180 lbs) without a pack on and I don't think using the add-on fins all the time would be great.

Lots of the cheap snowshoes come in a pack with poles. Is there any advantage to using those instead of my usual hiking poles, which are probably lighter and better-made?

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Maybe there's a difference in the tip and the flared base (no idea what it's actually called) that make them better suited for snow? Trail poles don't usually have that round snow "cup" on the bottom, for lack of a better word, like ski poles do.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Most hiking poles should work for snowshoeing as well. Most should have threaded basket mounts near the tips. Snow baskets are usually bigger so that the pole floats on top of the snow versus plunging in. Depending on your poles, the baskets may or may not be interchangeable, or not have any mounts at all. If your poles are just straight sticks with no basket at the bottom, they will likely plunge into the snow. Most pole manufacturers sell the baskets separately but they're pretty cheap.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I've used the snow baskets all of zero times and generally snowshoe without poles unless the trail is remarkably narrow and steep and in the trees. If it's just steep, that's ice axe territory, typically. Atlas and your hiking poles should serve, unless you intend to be flinging yourself bodily upon your poles sideways.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

The bladder is almost 1/2 a pound! Not very r/ultralight :viggo:

I used a bladder for a long time but now just carry two 1L smartwater bottles and a Sawyer Squeeze for filtration. If I'm doing a big desert hike that requires more carrying capacity, I'll throw the bladder back into the mix.

Platystemon posted:

Speaking of water, how unusual is it to boil water as a primary treatment method?

I feel like it has fallen out of favour, but when it’s a viable option, I take it.

If I’m carrying a stove and pot anyway the extra fuel requirement isn’t onerous over a weekend.

I don't think it's very popular at all. A 3oz Sawyer Squeeze or Katadyn BeFree is going to do the same job, much faster, for way less weight. I only boil if there are quality restrictions in place that require it.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 20, 2017

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Boiling take a long time for the amount of water you get after said time. Increase that time with elevation.

The other thing is if you have to use your stove to boil water, you'll burn through fuel just purifying water. Filters or tablets are the way to go.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Verman posted:

Boiling take a long time for the amount of water you get after said time. Increase that time with elevation.

The other thing is if you have to use your stove to boil water, you'll burn through fuel just purifying water. Filters or tablets are the way to go.

Not to mention you're left with hot water after. And there are so many differing opinions about how long to boil the water.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

khysanth posted:

The bladder is almost 1/2 a pound! Not very r/ultralight :viggo:

I used a bladder for a long time but now just carry two 1L smartwater bottles and a Sawyer Squeeze for filtration. If I'm doing a big desert hike that requires more carrying capacity, I'll throw the bladder back into the mix.

Tube 85g, bladder 115g. My nalgene is 180g and it's 1/3 of the capacity. I also carry both, always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I carry a pot of boiling water at all times.