Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Toffee/Ludo confirmed canon.

Also, Holy Hell poor Meteora. From the look of things this is what happened to her:

Her father was killed, her mother was taken away and crystalized, and then (as a child no less) she was forcibly imprisoned and brainwashed into forgetting who she was. She was then enslaved and used as a tool to brainwash other girls like her for hundreds of years. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm thinking that Eclipsa's "dark" magic was probably developed out of Necessity - the way it was put was she "abandoned her kingdom to run away with a monster" - she probably considered that her husband wouldn't be safe anywhere near Mewni capital and decided it wasn't worth staying if it would put him at risk and fled, knowing that she would likely be pursued and made a lot of enemies she probably developed the All-Seeing Eye so that she could see them coming, and in case of an attempt on her or her husband's life by something hard to kill by conventional means, (like a mewberty form Butterfly), developed the Killing Spell as a last resort.

Also, note how Star and Mina reacted to Meteora's true lineage:

Star: She's a Butterfly...
Mina: She's a monster.

Star sees her as one of the family now, no longer the feared headmistress, but a lost great-aunt who doesn't know what to do and needs help. As Miss Heinous she was a great threat, but as Meteora, she looked like a lost child clutching her dolls who'd likely do anything to reunite her family. I wouldn't be surprised if Meteora became a key ally of Star's, as a symbol of Mewman/Monster unity. A girl with her feet in both worlds.

Also it would be cool to see Star start researching Mewni's history via any angle she can find to unravel the mess that was made, and when questioned about some of the more unorthodox avenues she is taking throw out "All knowledge is good knowledge..."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 17, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't see it going any other way then Eclipsa wins her trial with the help of star, who then becomes the rightful queen and then banishes stars family for usurping her and finding out moon's mom caused the monster uprising that eventually led to her death.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I hope it ends up happy :shobon:

Like seriously, I know that apparently Moon and the High Commission are jerks and species-ist but I hope they all don't do some collective heel turn and become outright villains. Maybe Star can work this whole shebang out! :ohdear:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't see it going any other way then Eclipsa wins her trial with the help of star, who then becomes the rightful queen and then banishes stars family for usurping her and finding out moon's mom caused the monster uprising that eventually led to her death.

Although I do kind of like this idea, I admit. I don't think Butterflys on the run is a very sustainable status quo for the show, though, so something would have to give fast. (Plus just in general, a magical princess kicked out of her home does not make for good comedy)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 17, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How long until we find out that Marco is Star's distant cousin through Meteora and Eclipsa? He had the cheek marks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

How long until we find out that Marco is Star's distant cousin through Meteora and Eclipsa? He had the cheek marks.

It's actually possible that just using that sort of magic makes cheek marks appear and the royal family have theirs innately present due to their greater magical ability and potential.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Pretty sure he was channeling Star's magic through the soul bond. The show deliberately references it when he picks up the wand, the cheek marks are crescent (blood) moons, and the first episode established way back when that Earth has no magic. I'm fairly confident that last point means that if Janna had grabbed the wand, nothing would have happened.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Mraagvpeine posted:

I sincerely doubt they would go down that route, considering portraying Star being attracted to a relative, no matter how distant, would be... yikes

In any case, the guide mentions that the cheekmarks aren't inherently a Butterfly family trait-they're the result of long-term magical exposure, and the Butterfly family has been using magic for so long they just all naturally have them. Considering how long Marco's been hanging out with Star, it's reasonable to assume that using her wand was enough to push it over the top into them appearing (Temporarily at least).

Holy poo poo though, I still can't get over that entire sequence. One neat thing I saw pointed out that hadn't even occurred to me is that the episode actually mirrors Running with Scissors in a lot of ways (Which may be why they brought back Adult Marco in Night Life). In both, Star and Marco are offered everything they want-in Marco's case, a life of adventure and excitement, and for Star an existence of peace and contentment far from the stress and worries of Mewni and her future as queen-and in both cases, it takes the pleas of their best friend to bring them back to their senses. A really interesting and well-done parallel, for sure.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I haven't read that guide so I didn't know that detail. And yeah, that sequence was pretty good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Interesting that Marco reverts to his adult form when in Heckapoo's dimension.

Also, was figuring that most of the Royal High Commission have jobs to do that they aren't very well equipped for. Rhombulus is legitimately good at sealing away dangerous and evil things- he's probably the only thing that can easily deal with Mina at this point- but lacks anything close to the maturity and judgement to do it responsibly. Heckapoo's job is to both create the means of interdimensional travel and close carelessly opened portals (meaning the more she does one job, the more she has to do with the other) and she has to get help for it dealing with something well above her pay grade. Lekmet's powers inherently hastened his death, which reviving the Commission ultimately did. Omnitraxus seems relatively chill and on the ball, though.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

That tofee ludo panel made me lol out loud.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

She's possibly also a Monster in the Mewni sense, too, or at least half of one. It would explain her beast transformation, for one thing, and if she's what happens when Mewmans and Monsters mingle then it would go a long way to explaining why everyone got scared shitless when Eclipsa, powerful even by royal Butterfly standards, had a kid with what sure looks like a powerful Monster.

im highly amused by this possibility mostly because it would make mina almost a direct parallel to othar tryggvassen of girl genius

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Interesting that Marco reverts to his adult form when in Heckapoo's dimension.

We only got like a minute of it the whole episode though rather than what would probably be half and half

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Being around magic gives you cheek marks.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So is there a particular reason why the wand reacted so violently when Marco took it as opposed to when Ludo and Lobster Claws briefly had it in that one episode? Or is this a thing where it was done that way for dramatic purposes as opposed to comedy?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's be amusing if Ludo didn't return for a while, and got really confused when he did to see Star and her friends campaigning for his rights. "Wow. A lot's changed since I've been gone... :stare:"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Venuz Patrol posted:

im highly amused by this possibility mostly because it would make mina almost a direct parallel to othar tryggvassen of girl genius

Actually, it's kind of Toffee in that role, so much that his idea of levelling the playing field in Mewni is/was seemingly to destroy magic altogether.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shitenshi posted:

So is there a particular reason why the wand reacted so violently when Marco took it as opposed to when Ludo and Lobster Claws briefly had it in that one episode? Or is this a thing where it was done that way for dramatic purposes as opposed to comedy?

The design is very odd and looks kinda evil; it might be meant to imply there's something going in with Marco that we don't know about (and likely he doesn't either). Marco is notably the first human (as opposed to mewman) to wield the wand that we know about, and the wand reshapes itself to reflect its wielder. Or maybe Marco's just a bit of a metalhead at heart.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd love for a character to question how the wand changes for them, like if it became something they didn't expect, like if it changed alongside the wielder as they personally changed. A calm Ludo who actually knows what he wants gets it and it just becomes a big pink heart on a stick, and he's just like "Huh... I guess this is me now... :crossarms:"

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So as worried as I was early on during this run of episodes they definitely proved me wrong. So long as we get Janna, and hopefully Marco's parents, I'm good with leaving behind Earth. I've enjoyed all of the revelations and character development that's happened. The only bummer is now there are no more episodes and I'm having flashbacks to Gravity Falls' breaks...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it's because they've finally started doing what they've been building to with Mewni, so it's no longer just a medieval setpiece for the battles. I'm kind of hoping to see Star slowly building support over multiple arcs, not able to do it all at once, but winning hearts and minds initially one by one, then with small icebreakers as she gains support, then eventually having entire villages of Mewmans and Monsters behind her crusade, openly trading with each other, exchanging cultural ideas, and generally starting to build the kind of world that they are looking for with or without the Council's approval. It's going to take a lot of time, but eventually it will start to snowball, and even Mina won't be able to stop it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm starting to like the show more now that we've hit another footing. With Marco moving into Mewni it feels like the show started over, like it's a whole new show, so that was a mistep, but now that things are taking off again I'm digging it.

Deep Dive was a great episode. It's cool to see Janna up to her usual shenanigans and Marco taking control of the wand and using it effectively was a great surprise that feels very warranted.

Also the episode Ponymonium was kind of bad? For a minute there I thought the show was going to recognize how obnoxious and toxic Ponyhead can be but they instead went with the "sisters are even worse copout.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think the point was that the Ponies, all of them, are just insane. To the point that Ponyhead may be the most rational member of her family, and that is terrifying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would not say she is the most rational. But they are all bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ponymonium: FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! Was amazing though. King Ponyhead owns.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
King Ponyhead is probably the most sane. An unfortunate situation for him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, this season took a little while to get going, but once they started hitting their deeper themes and character development it was great, and the final twist really threw me for a loop.

I liked Heinous, but always saw her as a joke villain who's fun to have around without really being a threat. Suddenly shifting her to a sympathetic character as Meteora was a bold move, and I'm fascinated to see how that plays out. I guess Mina is gonna be the real villain of this season?

Also we need more Eclipsa, but I repeat myself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I see Meteora as being a villain even after this revelation, although she probably won't be the only villain and might not stay evil forever. After all, while we don't know what circumstances led Meteora to become Miss Heinous, we do know her character, and she is not a woman who lets a grudge die easy. And wouldn't you know it, but she just remembered she has the biggest grudge ever to hold against the ruling branch of the Butterfly family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ponymonium was a bit too real. We've known families like that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Inescapable Duck posted:

Ponymonium was a bit too real. We've known families like that.

If my sister and I were royalty we almost certainly would have murdered each other over succession. And we usually get along!

Benne posted:

Yeah, this season took a little while to get going, but once they started hitting their deeper themes and character development it was great, and the final twist really threw me for a loop.

I liked Heinous, but always saw her as a joke villain who's fun to have around without really being a threat. Suddenly shifting her to a sympathetic character as Meteora was a bold move, and I'm fascinated to see how that plays out. I guess Mina is gonna be the real villain of this season?

Also we need more Eclipsa, but I repeat myself.

It really says a lot about the show that the the villain of the season could turn out to be Moon, the High Commission, Eclipsa, Meteora, or any combination of the above. If there's one thing the show's good at, it's defying expectations, and at this point I honestly have no idea how it's going to go. (edit: though I did finally get around to adding Heinous to the OP)

Also, here's a neat thing: boarder Zach Marcus released a deleted scene from Lava Lake Beach

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 19, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I see Meteora as being a villain even after this revelation, although she probably won't be the only villain and might not stay evil forever. After all, while we don't know what circumstances led Meteora to become Miss Heinous, we do know her character, and she is not a woman who lets a grudge die easy. And wouldn't you know it, but she just remembered she has the biggest grudge ever to hold against the ruling branch of the Butterfly family.

I would love if even after regaining her memory and possibly gaining magic and monster powers, she still just nursed a big hate-on for Marco instead of the Butterflys.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

TwoPair posted:

I would love if even after regaining her memory and possibly gaining magic and monster powers, she still just nursed a big hate-on for Marco instead of the Butterflys.

I hope the next epic battle involves Metalhead Half-Monster Meteora vs. Beefy Adult Marco in Hekapoo's dimension*

*--I'm so glad they revisited this angle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was just thinking that Meteora seems like someone likely to be Marco's specific nemesis... ESPECIALLY given it turns out Marco's had the choice to be a princess and stop doing it any time he wants, which certainly is more choice than she ever had. Kinda funny that Miss Heinous is becoming her own antithesis. And I do wonder if they had heavy metal back when she was a kid or she's rediscovering her adolescence.

While there's some rumblings of Moon and the Magic High Commission becoming the villains, I don't think that's likely; we've seen that Moon, while stuck in the old ways, isn't stupid and isn't stubborn. Her distrust of Eclipsa is probably as much because of how she's literally permanently scarred by a spell that Eclipsa taught her, and utterly disturbed by her approach to magic all the more because she was forced to use it. Moon seems to actually respect Star more nowadays, and Star respects her in turn; some time apart has given them a lot of time to reflect and get a new perspective on one another, albeit at great cost. I get the feeling that while Moon still holds the old prejudices towards monsters- and given what she went through as a child, it's hard to blame her- but is open to Star working to improve things.

Kinda funny that Marco running with Heckapoo was basically played like two-timing girlfriends or cheating. The sexual tension in this show is all over the drat place, man.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

That was my favorite scene in that episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not Super Star?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda funny that Marco running with Heckapoo was basically played like two-timing girlfriends or cheating. The sexual tension in this show is all over the drat place, man.

Yeah, it's episodes like this that make me wonder why people are worried about Marco and Star's dynamic changing if/when they make it official. They're already close enough to support an episode with a clear "cheating boyfriend" subtext, plus people around them have been assuming they're together since season 2. Plus the show has a big enough same-age supporting cast that the shipping wars never have to end; I know folks have been waiting to see what happens when Janna and Tom finally share a scene.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure they're taking great glee in baiting the shippers every which way.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm the guy who threw bottles at you in highschool and I support Starco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/934241769759354880