Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Shoot bajor into the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Is it just me or did that "Bajor must stand alone" line never really deliver? Like I get it kept them out of the war, kinda? I dunno, just expected a more concrete payoff

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

shadow puppet of a posted:

Yeah, 23rd century humans so tied to religion, clan feuds, dustbowl farm strife, chasing the gubmint off their land, building contraptions out of wood, clinging to memories lost wars and terrible local alcohol.

Totally describing humans there and not say.... loving Bajorans instead.

Honestly that does describe every human who isn't Claire, Vash, Sisko Sr, or in Starfleet.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The General posted:

Ah yes, the humans. Hillbillies of the galaxy.

Robert Picardo as super smug Alarra's dad was fantastic. God he plays an arrogant prick so loving well.

That whole episode was solid actually. I'm incredibly impressed with the quality of writing coming from Orville.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
When Star trek died it's katra went into the Orville

The General
Mar 4, 2007

When is STD coming back? And is the Orville having a a full 20 or so episode season?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Orville has about two episodes left I think

The General
Mar 4, 2007

:negative:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

STD comes back in January I think

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

simplefish posted:

Is it just me or did that "Bajor must stand alone" line never really deliver? Like I get it kept them out of the war, kinda? I dunno, just expected a more concrete payoff

That was a pretty big payoff for the Bajorans. Every time the station went to red alert the hallways were littered waist deep with Bajoran security officers. If they can't handle Quark's replicator malfunctioning a single Jem'Hadar would commit genocide.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

VictorianQueerLit posted:

That was a pretty big payoff for the Bajorans. Every time the station went to red alert the hallways were littered waist deep with Bajoran security officers. If they can't handle Quark's replicator malfunctioning a single Jem'Hadar would commit genocide.

they couldn't stop the single child jem'hadar in that one episode and then in the one where they destroy the gateway we see that a strike team blew up an entire pylon just to steal "photonic amplifiers" i.e., flashlights

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Watched the DS9 episode about the dandruff refugees.

Federation offers to fully set them up on a paradise planet of their own. But they decide Bajor is their promised land and because they "are farmers" it means they have the magical ability to fix up a huge peninsula the cardassians poisoned. Bajor says they can barely feed them selves and are in shambles and don't have the resources to help them once their polluted dust farming from scratch strategy doesn't work out. At no point do these dandruff people ever produce any evidence for their land-reclamation technology, not even an anecdote that they restored a very similar ecosystem. It's just "we're farmers!!" and their pure faith in farming ruined alien soil in an alien ecosystem they know nothing about without any initial crop failures or problems will solve everything.

Bajor says no, go to the federation paradise planet instead, and they do, while shaming Bajor for being paranoid and fearful.

I don't know what the message of this episode was because the provisional government seemed pretty reasonable. Their own planet is in shambles and like 6 million refugees declare they'll do fine and not need anyone's help building up cities and farms from scratch in an area they know to be unfarmable due to cardassians loving it up??

Also how is Bajor still in shambles? Is the Federation not helping them with even the basics? Give them a few dozen industrial replicators and some ready-to-run fusion generators and get their poo poo sorted in like a year tops. They're courting the Bajorans for membership yet don't seem to be offering any aid throughout the show.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Also how is Bajor still in shambles? Is the Federation not helping them with even the basics? Give them a few dozen industrial replicators and some ready-to-run fusion generators and get their poo poo sorted in like a year tops. They're courting the Bajorans for membership yet don't seem to be offering any aid throughout the show.

There are some variables outside of the technology and support available. The Federation gave the Bajorans really advanced farming equipment and they immediately entered a civil war with armed militias roaming the mountains and had a coup attempt all over who gets to use it first.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Baronjutter posted:

1) Because its full of Bajorans.

2) Hard to provide 'the basics' when you first need them to stop killing eachother over women, blankets and soil reclimators

3) They'd be bombed within a week by some faction of the Kohn-ma.

4) Preventing a mental patient from harming themselves is the most difficult form of aid to provide and hard to appreciate from the outside. But it is what must be provided first before you can start on shelter, clothing, water, food, education and industry.

Your problems are twofold. You presume that the class of Bajoran given a permit to travel to the station represents all Bajorans living below. They do not. That is like judging all humans from watching one Miss Universe Pageant.

Secondly, you have swallowed up Bajoran propaganda that Cardassia was an invasion force of occupation, rather than a charity mission of mercy. Gul Dukat had these same problems and was trying every solution he could. Your presumption that the Bajorans are capable of receiving help is preventing you from understanding that the help they did receive was all that could be given. Its the same as how you can't hand out fine silverware to prison inmates, even though it would give a clueless observer the impression that you are increasing their quality of life.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 21, 2017

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Baronjutter posted:

Watched the DS9 episode about the dandruff refugees.

Federation offers to fully set them up on a paradise planet of their own. But they decide Bajor is their promised land and because they "are farmers" it means they have the magical ability to fix up a huge peninsula the cardassians poisoned. Bajor says they can barely feed them selves and are in shambles and don't have the resources to help them once their polluted dust farming from scratch strategy doesn't work out. At no point do these dandruff people ever produce any evidence for their land-reclamation technology, not even an anecdote that they restored a very similar ecosystem. It's just "we're farmers!!" and their pure faith in farming ruined alien soil in an alien ecosystem they know nothing about without any initial crop failures or problems will solve everything.

Bajor says no, go to the federation paradise planet instead, and they do, while shaming Bajor for being paranoid and fearful.

I don't know what the message of this episode was because the provisional government seemed pretty reasonable. Their own planet is in shambles and like 6 million refugees declare they'll do fine and not need anyone's help building up cities and farms from scratch in an area they know to be unfarmable due to cardassians loving it up??

At least in DS9, replicators and other high end Federation tech seem to be the carrot in order to get other civilizations to join them. Starfleet is basically looking down at Bajor from their ivory starships saying "you can be post-scarcity too, just as soon as you make your planet arable again and start producing enough food to feed your populace."
I really like the concept that living a nearly conflict-free existence due to technology making post-scarcity possible makes Federation citizens unempathetic to the realities of 'developing' species and I'm glad DS9 explored that even if just a little.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

2) Hard to provide 'the basics' when you first need them to stop killing eachother over women, blankets and soil reclimators

4) Preventing a mental patient from harming themselves is the most difficult form of aid to provide and hard to appreciate from the outside. But it is what must be provided first before you can start on shelter, clothing, water, food, education and industry.

Your problems are twofold. You presume that the class of Bajoran given a permit to travel to the station represents all Bajorans living below. They do not. That is like judging all humans from watching one Miss Universe Pageant.

Secondly, you have swallowed up Bajoran propaganda that Cardassia was an invasion force of occupation, rather than a charity mission of mercy. Gul Dukat had these same problems and was trying every solution he could. Your presumption that the Bajorans are capable of receiving help is preventing you from understanding that the help they did receive was all that could be given. Its the same as how you can't hand out fine silverware to prison inmates, even though it would give a clueless observer the impression that you are increasing their quality of life.

Gul Dukat parachute account spotted.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You give a starving Bajoran wood and brass to build farm tools and they'll instead waste them all trying to create lightships.

You give a thirsty Bajoran clay to line an aqueduct and they'll instead fire up thousands of ceremonial relationship-breakup smashing cups.

You give a cold Bajoran a bolt of cloth to wrap around them in winter and they'll instead plunge a knife through the throat of those not in the cloth-wearer d'jarra.

You give an ignorant Bajoran a mathematical education to allow them to teach their children and they'll instead race off to spin the dabo wheel.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

popewiles posted:

At least in DS9, replicators and other high end Federation tech seem to be the carrot in order to get other civilizations to join them. Starfleet is basically looking down at Bajor from their ivory starships saying "you can be post-scarcity too, just as soon as you make your planet arable again and start producing enough food to feed your populace."
I really like the concept that living a nearly conflict-free existence due to technology making post-scarcity possible makes Federation citizens unempathetic to the realities of 'developing' species and I'm glad DS9 explored that even if just a little.

Their society almost collapsed because some guy fell out of a wormhole and started telling everyone they should be a strict caste based society where your job is based on your family name.

The Federation was right to be wary of including them. How long before the entire Federation is at war because a Bajoran priestess decided to stab a Romulan diplomat in the face because she didn't like how his ears felt?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At least they aren't Bolians

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Their society almost collapsed because some guy fell out of a wormhole and started telling everyone they should be a strict caste based society where your job is based on your family name.

The Federation was right to be wary of including them. How long before the entire Federation is at war because a Bajoran priestess decided to stab a Romulan diplomat in the face because she didn't like how his ears felt?

You make the mistake of assuming I believe the Bajorans deserve to be members of the Federation, when actually I think someone should have slapped a "No Bajorans" sign on the station's exterior (Kira can stay because 'Bajorans' means more than one).

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

popewiles posted:

You make the mistake of assuming I believe the Bajorans deserve to be members of the Federation, when actually I think someone should have slapped a "No Bajorans" sign on the station's exterior (Kira can stay because 'Bajorans' means more than one).

Fine, but only if it also requires that Kira has to board the Yangtzee Kiang and wait it out in orbit should Ensign Ro ever choose to visit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That Bajoran arbiter who was the same actress as Kevin Uxbridge's wife can stay. As can Kai Opaca. And Kai Risdoll.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Notice that in the early seasons of DS9 you actually still see plenty of bajorans without earrings? As if there's some actual secular bajorans out there? They all but vanish in the later seasons, every single bajoran extra gets an earing. Wonder if this becomes a sort of "flag pin" issue where non-observant bajorans get shamed to hell.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I thought STD was ok, I liked Michael, Tilly and Stamets. I would hardly call it grimdark, though it gets a bit more up-beat. And I'm a bit intrigued where they are going with this. Was the whole of S1 just a setup for Voyager 2? :neckbeard:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

And I'm a bit intrigued where they are going with this. Was the whole of S1 just a setup for Voyager 2? :neckbeard:

If so, they missed a trick by not going out of their way to state a specific, finite number of shuttles and torpedoes on and-- that they go on to ignore with flagrant abandon in the rest of the series.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Continuity is WAY too confusing!!!!!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Why don't you have a seat over there. Would you like a glass of K'narr, Legate?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If so, they missed a trick by not going out of their way to state a specific, finite number of shuttles and torpedoes on and-- that they go on to ignore with flagrant abandon in the rest of the series.

True, but that could yet be. Like the number of jumps Stamets is forced to make, now that he can't go to the opera with his boyfriend.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

S2E8-

Lily: He can't possibly make 958 jumps while we're inside a quasar nebula, it'll kill him!
Lorca: It's not a suggestion, it's an order! *fiddles with pad behind his back*

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Maybe you should have just killed them all?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Just watched the ds9 episode where Dr Bashir is triggered while playing darts with potato man because he knows he's not going to win some award. Anyway, this guy:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bennet_Guillory

Is credited as Medical Big Shot, which is a hell of a thing to have on your business card. Later

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cardassian Man's Burden.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MA-Horus posted:

Why don't you have a seat over there. Would you like a glass of K'narr, Legate?

I'm more of a lecherous "She needs disciplining!" prison-camp guard-type Cardassian.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Its the same as how you can't hand out fine silverware to prison inmates
On the one hand, you're defending Cardassian rule. On the other, you're dropping some dog-whistle hints about the 's' word.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

popewiles posted:

The problem is two-fold: For one, even having Starfleet just sitting in orbit was seen as an insult by pretty much the entirety of the Bajoran military (which was mostly formed from cobbled-together militias by necessity from how the occupation went down, so there's no proper unity of command). Maybe a necessary one for the cooler heads amongst them, but still a real problem they wanted to solve by... I don't know. Rolling over for another occupation in all but name once the Dominion came along?

The second issue is that Bajorans now base their entire identity around two things: Occupation and Religious/National Identity. They can't get out of that mindset to the point they actively refuse aid for fear of it leading to another occupation or their identities being removed, something one can see parallels to in the real world. Which leads to them being unable to rejuvenate themselves and unable to advance into their own stable identity or place in the galaxy, preferring to stay a single planet devastated by war with only some smaller satellites rather than growing up and not letting a group of space ghosts that can't figure out what the hell they're doing anyway dictate their lives. They actively refuse aid from other cultures no matter how benevolent to the point there are still starving families and outright fighting over resources when the solution is sitting literally over their heads.

It also leads to them being considered stubborn morons by anyone but the Federation who are too polite to tell them to stop being that way. Even Sisko doesn't push the point too much and he isn't known to be courteous. Kira eventually figuring all this out is probably one of the better arcs of DS9 if only because the rest of the Bajorans being so drat frustrating every time they appear on screen. Cardassians at least have the faux affably evil status and a few of their soldiers obviously just being too afraid of the people higher up the food chain to act independently, making them if not sympathetic then not outright hated. They have regrets, some of them even realizing they were monsters but don't know how to handle that or bring redemption, whereas Bajorans can barely stop actively sabotaging themselves into starvation and inner strife. The only people with more inner strife are Klingons and that's because they designed their way of life that way by design. It leads them to being stubborn morons too with massive corruption issues, but they very obviously don't starve or lack in what they need.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Their starving is a moral one, they lack proper character

:guldukatsad:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I unironically love the Bajorans. They're the most "human" of all species in Trek in just how insanely loving stupid assholes they are.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also you can give silverware to prisoners, they do in many Scandinavian prisons and give them full kitchen supplies and private rooms. Treating people like humans gets them to act like humans. Bajorans all have PTSD after the occupation so I'll cut them a little slack. The US has basically a cardassian outlook on prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

The US has basically a cardassian outlook on prison.