Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teddybear posted:

Remember that sore loser anti-LGBT delegate who lost to a trans woman and then wrote a bitchy letter about it to the Washington Post? I think it was posted in here. His letter was edited so that it affirmed her gender, and I was 100% sure that it was something he would complain about. Sure enough:

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/932014572160077827

He blindly approves the editor’s changes and it’s their fault?

That’s a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's like the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

:golfclap:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Powaqoatse posted:

and so here are Dschinghis Khan playing their Eurovision 1978? hit Moskau:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTfYKzyRphU

nota bene: no idea if people get killed in this video, so please dont get killed watching it

Did dschingkis khan actually do moskau as a Eurovision entry? I thought their only Eurovision song was the self titled dschingkis khan. Moskau owns as a song though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ilmucche posted:

Did dschingkis khan actually do moskau as a Eurovision entry? I thought their only Eurovision song was the self titled dschingkis khan. Moskau owns as a song though.

yeah that sounds right

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Teddybear posted:

Remember that sore loser anti-LGBT delegate who lost to a trans woman and then wrote a bitchy letter about it to the Washington Post? I think it was posted in here. His letter was edited so that it affirmed her gender, and I was 100% sure that it was something he would complain about. Sure enough:

Ahahaha loving fantastic

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oy.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...past/874905001/

quote:

Democratic Ohio Supreme Court Justice, who is running for governor, shared details of his sexual exploits with "approximately 50 very attractive females" in an attempt to defend Sen. Al Franken against allegations of sexual harassment.

"Now that the dogs of war are calling for the head of Senator Al Franken I believe it is time to speak up on behalf of all heterosexual males," Ohio Supreme Court Justice Bill O'Neill wrote on Facebook Friday. "I am sooooo disappointed by this national feeding frenzy about sexual indiscretions decades ago."

O'Neill, of Chagrin Falls, also detailed his sexual history with approximately 50 women, saying the list included "a gorgeous blonde" with whom he "made passionate love" in a hayloft and a "drop dead gorgeous red head" from Cleveland.

His campaign manager has already quit and Dems and Repubs are both calling for his resignation from the court.

Oddly enough, sitting on the bench while running for public office appears to be prohibited by Ohio's code of judicial conduct, so I don't know what the hell is going on there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

Oy.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...past/874905001/

His campaign manager has already quit and Dems and Repubs are both calling for his resignation from the court.

Oddly enough, sitting on the bench while running for public office appears to be prohibited by Ohio's code of judicial conduct, so I don't know what the hell is going on there.

Not gonna say it. Someone else can say it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Meanwhile, in West Virginia:

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/932137004124405762

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Platystemon posted:

That’s a good one.

To take a very charitable reading of what he said, I think it's not so much that they showed him a proof or anything, just that he marked it "OK to publish" when he mailed it in, per many news companies' policies. He's twisting that to give the impression you came away with.

He's still a whiny pissbaby with an overfull nappy though

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Phanatic posted:

Hell is going on here! There's a Republican judge saying the very same thing publicly.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is awesome and all, but it was also a year and a half ago that it happened. Not sure what good dredging it up now does for anyone.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Warms our cockles in ways that warm milk can't?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Serephina posted:

Warms our cockles in ways that warm milk can't?

Cockles and milk? You got yourself a bisque going!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm here to rockles out with my cockles out.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

To take a very charitable reading of what he said, I think it's not so much that they showed him a proof or anything, just that he marked it "OK to publish" when he mailed it in, per many news companies' policies. He's twisting that to give the impression you came away with.

He's still a whiny pissbaby with an overfull nappy though

If the Post edited his letter without his approval, he'd be accusing them of doing that instead of saying the changes escaped his notice. He approved it to run, it's on him.

e: I mean if he'd caught it he would have sobbed forever about the mean old crooked media putting words in his mouth, so yeah it was an extremely loving cheeky move by the op-ed desk

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Nov 19, 2017

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

As someone who once did a bit of time in the field, a lot of newspapers and publications will have usage rules on courtesy titles like that. For example I believe the New York Times will always refer to a person as "Mr. Smith said..." after the first usage of their name in a story, instead of just as "Smith said..." or "Bob said..."

So they most likely edited his letter to conform with existing style rules. The fact that it made a mad pissbaby even madder is just a side benefit.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Memento posted:

This is awesome and all, but it was also a year and a half ago that it happened. Not sure what good dredging it up now does for anyone.

Those cockles aren't gonna warm themselves, man.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Platystemon posted:

That’s a good one.

I’m really missing something. The original letter said “Danica” rather than “Ms. Roem”? How does the editorial change affirm her gender where using her name didn’t? I assume “Danica” is an inherently female name isn’t it?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Data Graham posted:

I’m really missing something. The original letter said “Danica” rather than “Ms. Roem”? How does the editorial change affirm her gender where using her name didn’t? I assume “Danica” is an inherently female name isn’t it?

I think it's less to do with that and more to do with the fact that referring to her as "Ms. Roem" implies a certain amount of respect.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Data Graham posted:

Ms. Roem conformed to their style guide, and also affirmed her gender as a bonus.

There can only be one Danica in the public eye at any given time. It used to be the race car driver, now it's this lady.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok then, but it’d be a lot funnier if he had intentionally misgendered her in his letter and then they corrected it for him. That would justify the reactions I’m seeing

This is more like "Haha owned by Strunk & White"

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Nov 19, 2017

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Data Graham posted:

Ok then, but it’d be a lot funnier if he had intentionally misgendered her in his letter and then they corrected it for him. That would justify the reactions I’m seeing

This is more like "Haha owned by Strunk & White"

Dude set a pretty low bar is all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh, from the Trumpthread

Groovelord Neato posted:

he wanted her name in quotation marks ("danica") he didn't actually write danica roem. he wrote "danica" roem every time you saw ms. roem.

Well then :lol:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Data Graham posted:

Oh, from the Trumpthread

Well then :lol:

What a childish shitbag. Wow.

Also, "Haha, Owned by Strunk and White" would make a great title for a book about my teaching career.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What a little poo poo. Seriously, can anyone confirm this? That he actually wanted "Danica', quotes and all? Because that sounds like an extraordinarily childish thing to do.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Straight from the Trump playbook.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Nah Trump would call her "Rocketless Man"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

What a little poo poo. Seriously, can anyone confirm this? That he actually wanted "Danica', quotes and all? Because that sounds like an extraordinarily childish thing to do.
It would be completely in line with his character, so it's pretty easy to believe. I don't believe him, however, when he says he didn't notice when approving the letter. He wanted his words in the Post AND he wanted to have a follow-up shitfit ready to go to keep his name out there while he secures a wignut welfare gig.

edit: This dude regularly gets mega-indignant whenever he gets the slightest bit of pressure for misgendering Danica. He's pulled out "Did Danica's DNA change????" as an argument and keeps insisting he holds a "scientific" perspective here

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Nov 19, 2017

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

CommissarMega posted:

Dude's the author of a bill that dictates where people piss, and puts an already at-risk group of people at an even higher risk of being assaulted, because gently caress those people, they're weird and make him uncomfortable. Childish is pretty much his M.O. from start to finish.

As penance for risking a political derail, have some content.

Skate bails.

Bike bails.

Dash cams from Russia.

Dash cams from the United States.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://i.imgur.com/mT6TsZo.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/WdGz1hn.gifv

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hmmmmm wonder where that leg brace came from

Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmm

:thunk:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

This woman is pretty visibly in better shape than I am so I don't want to backseat coach too much, but I feel like this lift is a good way to gently caress up your back.

Also what Renegret said.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

This woman is pretty visibly in better shape than I am so I don't want to backseat coach too much, but I feel like this lift is a good way to gently caress up your back.

Also what Renegret said.

Yeah it’s called CrossFit

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Railing Kill posted:

What a childish shitbag. Wow.

Also, "Haha, Owned by Strunk and White" would make a great title for a book about my teaching career.

I mean, wasn’t his whole campaign just playing her up as some thing that shouldn’t be in power, while she was going for stuff that actually affected voters? Him being a shithead isn’t something new.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Renegret posted:

hmmmmm wonder where that leg brace came from

Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmm

:thunk:

:lol:

Brittle bones due to steroids is a price you got to pay to look swole.

She probably shattered her pelvis here.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Known Lecher posted:

As someone who once did a bit of time in the field, a lot of newspapers and publications will have usage rules on courtesy titles like that. For example I believe the New York Times will always refer to a person as "Mr. Smith said..." after the first usage of their name in a story, instead of just as "Smith said..." or "Bob said..."

So they most likely edited his letter to conform with existing style rules. The fact that it made a mad pissbaby even madder is just a side benefit.

And anyone that DOESN'T realize that and doesn't think that will happen is too stupid to be in politics. I mean, it used to be "Letters to the Editor", am I right?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHXKJqQp-Is&app=desktop

Just some people trying to climb stairs

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Bobby Digital posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHXKJqQp-Is&app=desktop

Just some people trying to climb stairs motherfuckers trying to ice skate uphill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
That doesn't look like ice, and there's two dudes pouring down what looks like this hagfish blubber down the stairs.