Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Infinitum posted:

What games approach the 100Gb mark?

gears 4 is 150gb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if Darkest Dungeon, Dead Space and a deck builder had a baby together? That would be kind of hosed up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/698640/Deep_Sky_Derelicts/

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Synthbuttrange posted:

What if Darkest Dungeon, Dead Space and a deck builder had a baby together? That would be kind of hosed up.

I see that gif and I can only hear the GET THE D chant from that Nidhogg tournament.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
So I absolutely adore Saints Row and I know it's not the same but is Agents of Mayhem 20€ worth of fun or should I just wait for the inevitable steeper discounts? It looks drat amazing but I am aware of its flaws.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

johntravoltaconfused.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy6iAEi7Ym0

Not that I necessarily object, but kind of a weird direction to take it.

oh my god

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm terrible at Cryptark. I wonder if I would be better or worse at Cryptark 2: Extra dimension.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cuphead got really edgy after beating up the devil huh

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm terrible at Cryptark. I wonder if I would be better or worse at Cryptark 2: Extra dimension.

If they pull it off then maybe there is hope of the devs of Risk of Rain being able to pull off the switch to 3d as well.

Cool art style through.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skit herre posted:

So I absolutely adore Saints Row and I know it's not the same but is Agents of Mayhem 20€ worth of fun or should I just wait for the inevitable steeper discounts? It looks drat amazing but I am aware of its flaws.

Yeah, kinda. It has severe structural issues - the open world is largely perfunctory unless you love collectibles or repetitive, randomly spawned side content that basically just exists to give you something to shoot at and grind XP and other resources. There's a handful of unnecessary mechanics bolted on that give the impression they were scrambling to figure out exactly what the game was and how to bolster its core gameplay. And the first hour or two has really bad writing (mainly surrounding Hollywood). But once you get over the initial hump (via unlocking more interesting characters and digging into the story missions) there's a fun third person action pseudo-loot game thing hiding in there with a fair bit of the Saints Row charm.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 20, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Quick Talos Principle question - should I be trying to enter the tower before clearing all three areas? Does it have an impact on the narrative?

There are some achievements associated with when you enter the tower and what you do there. If you care, you can optimize your playthrough so that you have saves at opportune moments for getting those achievements.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
First person Cryptark seems more up my alley. Dat music.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I dunno, it reminds me of Wasted, and that's not a great thing to be compared to.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh man that looks really awesome, I should probably get- Oh it's Early Access nevermind lemme know when/if it's actually done.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

I dunno, it reminds me of Wasted, and that's not a great thing to be compared to.

I was thinking Mr Podunkian got some production value during the trailer

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wasted is an excellent game to be compared to

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Wasted is good and Podunkian is a good dude do not besmirch.

Anyway, I'm playing Doom on Nightmare again and I so appreciate a game that lets me quit to desktop directly from the death screen.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks to the person who written about the Hunger Clock. I've donated to our local (euro zone) charity a several days before they started but they were okay with that and because I didn't do it for specific game and asked for mystery keys I've got 10 good games:

Resident Evil Revelations + Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1: Penal Colony
A Story About My Uncle
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Phoenix Force
Eron
Mass Effect™ 2
Operation KREEP
She Remembered Caterpillars
Jump Stars
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes

So go donate and enjoy games. And as I already have A Story About My Uncle and Mass Effect 2 (on Origin) quote this with promise to donate something sometimes to get one or both.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, the little story throughline with the enemy idle chatter in TR2013 where they go from taunting and laughing at Lara at the beginning to "Oh poo poo she's got a machine gun" and then to them panicking and wondering if she's going to kill them all was great. Too bad anything like that, or any quality storytelling whatsoever, is completely absent in the second game

This is true, and the entire story of TR2 makes zero sense, BUT I found it much more enjoyable to actually play than the original reboot.

The sequel allows for much freer exploration, there's several different environments that are very distinct, and the big, open hub areas are good. Better puzzle tombs, too, and there's enough of them this time. And as a big bonus: no more bullshit QTEs (there's still some QTEs but they're easy).

But the story? Feel free to mostly ignore it.

Zat fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 20, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

cuphead got really edgy after beating up the devil huh

Personally I was thinkin

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

Personally I was thinkin

Same, but the comic

cryptark 3d will do though

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

gears 4 is 150gb

I don't think I'm buying this game as I only have a 256gb SSD drive and that's all :regd09:

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Bolivar posted:

I don't think I'm buying this game as I only have a 256gb SSD drive and that's all :regd09:

This surely makes no difference but I got it just a couple days ago and it's only 115, not 150 :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bolivar posted:

Get an external drive, swap games in and out when you intend to play them if you're going to binge.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

quote:

By the laws of the game-o-sphere, a computer made from the marbles and metal of alchemy-based puzzler Opus Magnum almost seems like an inevitability. Alchemy and code fan Peer Backhaus has built a – ahem – “Brainfuck interpreter”, which is a real computing term and not something I expected to see in my emails when I came into work this morning.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/20/opus-magnum-player-makes-computer/#more-495331

Well looks like a term of the day is "Brainfuck Interpreter " and someone had made one in Opus Magnum.

Tl:DR Brainfuck is apparently a basic computer language. And someone has made a computer in game with the language.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Let me know when it's running Doom.

(That's really cool actually.)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

skit herre posted:

It's painfully generic in every conceivable way and has so many different niggling flaws that prevents me from actually getting any fun out of it.

Driving is poo poo but you'll be doing a lot of it, movement feels pretty lousy in this day and age of parkour in most open world games(the movement abilities you get are drat near worthless), enemies are bullet spongey, the humor is amazingly even more infantile than past games... and not in a good way, the open world is pretty at first blush but then when you move more than 20 feet in any direction it's copy pasted buildings and boring architecture everywhere, the loot system is a total after thought, same thing with the leveling and skills you can can mess with... it's all situational as gently caress and feels like it'd be more at home in a MOBA, the HQ you can go to has a super annoying layout... you have to literally go to the bottom of the drat base to change your party loadout every single time you want to do that, and then leaving the HQ puts you through an annoyingly long unskippable cutscene every time, and there's no loving co-op but it totally feels like it was originally meant to have it!

gently caress Agents of Mayhem, it's one of the rare occasions for me where a badly received game is in fact bad for a reason.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Do we expect a Black Friday sale to start tomorrow?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just finished the Life is Strange demo. I think I'm going to get the full game, the first chapter was quite neat. Does it hold up?

I loved the soundtrack! I also felt like an rear end in a top hat since literally NO ONE in my friends list took a picture of Kate while being harassed by Madsen, and worldwide like 80+% of players intervened.

owl_pellet posted:

Do we expect a Black Friday sale to start tomorrow?

I think it starts the 22nd.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Turd Herder posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/20/opus-magnum-player-makes-computer/#more-495331

Well looks like a term of the day is "Brainfuck Interpreter " and someone had made one in Opus Magnum.

Tl:DR Brainfuck is apparently a basic computer language. And someone has made a computer in game with the language.
Brainfuck is really a brain gently caress. To give you an example, here's the classic "Hello World", first in C and then in Brainfuck.
C:
code:
#include <stdio.h>
main( )
{
        printf("hello, world\n");
}
Brainfuck:
code:
++++++++[>++++[>++>+++>+++>+<<<<-]>+>+>->>+[<]<-]>>.>---.+++++++..+++.>>.<-.<.+++.------.--------.>>+.>++.
A commented example can be found on Wikipedia.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Azran posted:

I just finished the Life is Strange demo. I think I'm going to get the full game, the first chapter was quite neat. Does it hold up?

It sure does.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Azran posted:

I loved the soundtrack! I also felt like an rear end in a top hat since literally NO ONE in my friends list took a picture of Kate while being harassed by Madsen, and worldwide like 80+% of players intervened.

Life is Strange is like my favorite game of all time so I can't be rational about this BUT if you liked the first episode enough then this game will make you feel things, intense things. Some people find the ending to be a bit of a downer, but I personally think it's great for a whole lot of reasons it would be spoiling to describe. Just know that LiS starts out like My So-Called Life and ends up becoming Lynchian psychodrama. Yes the soundtrack is amazing, and it's very important that you Protect Kate Marsh.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Azran posted:

Yes, and it gets better. Only the final episode is pretty divisive, but as a whole it's one of the best Telltale-style games.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Azran posted:

Apart from a really dumb twist, a stupid fetch quest and a mandatory stealth section, mostly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The prequel is very good too thus far once you finish the first game (kind of surprisingly, I wasn't expecting it to be)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

DeathChicken posted:

The prequel is very good too thus far once you finish the first game (kind of surprisingly, I wasn't expecting it to be)

I feel kind of bad for being such a huge hater on Before the Storm in the beginning because despite having every reason to be terrible (different developer, prequel story, no time travel gimmick, couldn't get the original voice cast) it's actually been very sweet against all odds. Deck Nine totally "gets" what Life is Strange is about and while I never really thought it had to exist, I'm glad it does now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zat posted:

This is true, and the entire story of TR2 makes zero sense, BUT I found it much more enjoyable to actually play than the original reboot.

The sequel allows for much freer exploration, there's several different environments that are very distinct, and the big, open hub areas are good. Better puzzle tombs, too, and there's enough of them this time. And as a big bonus: no more bullshit QTEs (there's still some QTEs but they're easy).

But the story? Feel free to mostly ignore it.

This is pretty much where I ended up, although I didn't think the story was outright bad. It plays like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade if Indy's dad had died before the movie started, all the way down to the mostly inconsequential side characters and villains who are maybe sympathetic if you squint right. It's overall a better game but with some differences that could put people off, depending on what they liked best about the reboot.

Now here's all of that again in like ten times as many words!

The 2013 Tomb Raider reboot was an unexpected gem for me, being someone who missed the boat entirely on Lara’s adventures in my youth. It was beautiful, brutal, full of mystery and danger, and gave me plenty of random junk to comb over the open world for. My time with the reboot had me looking forward to whatever was next for the risen heroine, and so I turned to the aptly-named Rise of the Tomb Raider with great expectations. I’m pleased to report they were met, fully and with few reservations, though I would note it did not seem so from the onset.

After escaping the crumbling and deadly lost kingdom of Yamatai, Lara Croft completed her evolution into a capable, rough-and-tumble action archaeologist that would make Indy himself proud. But the sudden and mysterious death of her father leaves her obsessed with his life-long obsession, an artifact known as the Divine Source. Lara’s quest leads her to the mountains of Siberia and another lost civilization, and also places her square in the sights of a shadowy cabal known as Trinity. The struggle becomes personal as she learns more about the valley’s inhabitants as well as Trinity’s connection to her departed father.

Right away, Rise has a different hook to it than the reboot did and that may have been part of why I didn’t get into it so quickly. Lara as a shipwreck survivor, forced out of her depth and forged into a monster, was a compelling story to trace from start to finish. Rise tries to up the ante on an emotional level, by sending Lara globe-hopping to redeem her father and outwit a secret society. It’s not something that compels at first because so little time is spent on Lara’s personal life and backstory that I couldn’t really care about redemption. But the Trinity angle has some bite to it, and once their plans were really set in motion I found myself swept along to the finale.

It’ll take you a good long while to get there too, thanks to some changes to the core gameplay. Rise still features plenty of third-person mantling, zip-lining, stealth murdering, and shootouts, but there’s a very conspicuous focus on crafting this time around. After the prologue Lara finds herself stranded in the Siberian wilderness, making the first few hours a struggle to survive and get established in a harsh land. The simple scrap upgrades of the reboot is replaced with an elaborate system of furs, metals, herbs, and oils that must be gathered and applied to improve weapons, carrying capacity, and even ammunition. Early on you may find yourself taking cautious shots with the bow, afraid to waste even one for fear of having to expend more wood and feathers.

This will pass soon enough, though the hunting and gathering can take up a disproportionate amount of your time if you like immediate gratification in your upgrades. Really much more of the game here is spent on upgrades and customization, with a wealth of different weapons to equip and improve in each of your four categories. There are outfits to find and craft as well, and even a shop that’ll trade ancient coins for underbarrel grenade launchers and tactical shotguns. You’ll find parts for new weapons if you scour the world carefully enough, and tombs now award special perks that affect basic gameplay like faster climbing. While there’s certainly no shortage of relics and journals to find, you’ll also be searching for antlers and ores to bolster your arsenal.

Once the game opens up in the larger areas, it begins to show just how fully it has improved the formula the previous game seemed to perfect. Most parts of the game world are absolutely lousy with collectibles and caverns, along with new additions like murals, monoliths, missions, and challenges. The first two can reveal other nearby collectibles if your language skill (raised from finding notes) is high enough to decipher them. Missions are given by friendly characters and have you hunting specific animals or freeing captives. And the challenges consists of fun little things to do around the world like cut down flags and chase chickens. On top of all the time you’ll spend gathering resources, there are enough sights and activities to keep you busy if you don’t feel like speeding the plot along.

You absolutely should, though, because after that initial hump the story takes off just as wildly as it did in the last game. But instead of cultists and Japanese relics, this one has a full-on war between mountain men and private military, with a side of mysticism that’s built up to in a delightfully creepy way. There are plenty of echoes of the reboot in this one but the characters help punch it up, rendered in photo-realistic detail and driven by a lust for the artifact at the center of the plot. Your allies are colorful enough to care about, and your foes are vicious and crazed enough to despise. The only real weak link here is Lara herself, who gets very little characterization other than “woman of action” and “lost her dad”.

The incredible graphics don’t end with the characters, of course. The Siberian mountains are brought to life with impossibly detailed textures and convincing particle effects, with clear themes and palettes for each region. The tombs in particular can be breathtaking, secreted into cliff faces and situated in ancient cisterns pierced by only the most distant shafts of light. Really the entire presentation, sound and interface included, is top-notch and helps the impression that Rise is a marked improvement even over the majesty that was the 2013 reboot. There are yet more features beyond the 20-hour campaign such as the expeditions that let you replay areas with cards that change up the mission rules, but I found them little more than distractions from the meat of the game. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a rich offering, both visually and mechanically stunning in a way that few games can match.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Deakul posted:

It's painfully generic in every conceivable way and has so many different niggling flaws that prevents me from actually getting any fun out of it.

Driving is poo poo but you'll be doing a lot of it, movement feels pretty lousy in this day and age of parkour in most open world games(the movement abilities you get are drat near worthless), enemies are bullet spongey, the humor is amazingly even more infantile than past games... and not in a good way, the open world is pretty at first blush but then when you move more than 20 feet in any direction it's copy pasted buildings and boring architecture everywhere, the loot system is a total after thought, same thing with the leveling and skills you can can mess with... it's all situational as gently caress and feels like it'd be more at home in a MOBA, the HQ you can go to has a super annoying layout... you have to literally go to the bottom of the drat base to change your party loadout every single time you want to do that, and then leaving the HQ puts you through an annoyingly long unskippable cutscene every time, and there's no loving co-op but it totally feels like it was originally meant to have it!

gently caress Agents of Mayhem, it's one of the rare occasions for me where a badly received game is in fact bad for a reason.

I would disagree with almost everything in that, except that it's criminal that there's no coop mode. AoM is Darkspore the shooter. It's got a more even less lol-random humor and writing than the post-SR2 Saints Row games, a good loot system, great combat, an entirely ignorable open world, good driving (meaning you are near invincible, and get to where you need to be quickly, and there's very little of it required in the game), a decent story and it's decent looking while running okay for it's graphics.

The issues I had with it are: There's not enough of it. The procedural dungeons don't have nearly enough room variations. The stuff you spend hero skill points on is mostly tiny bonuses that don't matter (but that's okay because you get to have all of them at once anyway). It doesn't have loving coop what the gently caress. The characters are a little uneven in terms of design - some have really varied build options and tons of synergy and some of the others are Red Card. Getting to the super special elite loot involves a lot of timers (but it's entirely an optional part of the game anyway, for when you've maxed out all your other stuff)

The bullet sponge complaint I don't get at all - most enemies die in less than a magazine unless you're literally playing at the highest difficulty (which is supposed to be the "end game"). The shotgun characters kill mooks in literally one or two shots.

TLDR: Don't pay full price, but for around 20 bucks you get a really cool Shooter version of Darkspore with great combat and an enjoyable story, with a decent amount of end-game potential of you get hooked.

vvv Yeti freezing and punching everything, Ninjagirl hit-and-running with stealth and Kingpin SMG-with-melee-kill-reload were tons of fun yeah. There were a couple characters that I didn't click with (Navyman was too one-note, Red Card just seemed incredibly poo poo and Joule was kinda boring) but overall there were more hits than misses for me (Rama and Oni also stand out as extremely fun characters to me).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 20, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you think the combat in AoM was good you're a madman

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

This is pretty much where I ended up, although I didn't think the story was outright bad. It plays like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade if Indy's dad had died before the movie started, all the way down to the mostly inconsequential side characters and villains who are maybe sympathetic if you squint right. It's overall a better game but with some differences that could put people off, depending on what they liked best about the reboot.

The 2013 Tomb Raider reboot was an unexpected gem for me, being someone who missed the boat entirely on Lara’s adventures in my youth. It was beautiful, brutal, full of mystery and danger, and gave me plenty of random junk to comb over the open world for. My time with the reboot had me looking forward to whatever was next for the risen heroine, and so I turned to the aptly-named Rise of the Tomb Raider with great expectations. I’m pleased to report they were met, fully and with few reservations, though I would note it did not seem so from the onset.

After escaping the crumbling and deadly lost kingdom of Yamatai, Lara Croft completed her evolution into a capable, rough-and-tumble action archaeologist that would make Indy himself proud. But the sudden and mysterious death of her father leaves her obsessed with his life-long obsession, an artifact known as the Divine Source. Lara’s quest leads her to the mountains of Siberia and another lost civilization, and also places her square in the sights of a shadowy cabal known as Trinity. The struggle becomes personal as she learns more about the valley’s inhabitants as well as Trinity’s connection to her departed father.

Right away, Rise has a different hook to it than the reboot did and that may have been part of why I didn’t get into it so quickly. Lara as a shipwreck survivor, forced out of her depth and forged into a monster, was a compelling story to trace from start to finish. Rise tries to up the ante on an emotional level, by sending Lara globe-hopping to redeem her father and outwit a secret society. It’s not something that compels at first because so little time is spent on Lara’s personal life and backstory that I couldn’t really care about redemption. But the Trinity angle has some bite to it, and once their plans were really set in motion I found myself swept along to the finale.

It’ll take you a good long while to get there too, thanks to some changes to the core gameplay. Rise still features plenty of third-person mantling, zip-lining, stealth murdering, and shootouts, but there’s a very conspicuous focus on crafting this time around. After the prologue Lara finds herself stranded in the Siberian wilderness, making the first few hours a struggle to survive and get established in a harsh land. The simple scrap upgrades of the reboot is replaced with an elaborate system of furs, metals, herbs, and oils that must be gathered and applied to improve weapons, carrying capacity, and even ammunition. Early on you may find yourself taking cautious shots with the bow, afraid to waste even one for fear of having to expend more wood and feathers.

This will pass soon enough, though the hunting and gathering can take up a disproportionate amount of your time if you like immediate gratification in your upgrades. Really much more of the game here is spent on upgrades and customization, with a wealth of different weapons to equip and improve in each of your four categories. There are outfits to find and craft as well, and even a shop that’ll trade ancient coins for underbarrel grenade launchers and tactical shotguns. You’ll find parts for new weapons if you scour the world carefully enough, and tombs now award special perks that affect basic gameplay like faster climbing. While there’s certainly no shortage of relics and journals to find, you’ll also be searching for antlers and ores to bolster your arsenal.

Once the game opens up in the larger areas, it begins to show just how fully it has improved the formula the previous game seemed to perfect. Most parts of the game world are absolutely lousy with collectibles and caverns, along with new additions like murals, monoliths, missions, and challenges. The first two can reveal other nearby collectibles if your language skill (raised from finding notes) is high enough to decipher them. Missions are given by friendly characters and have you hunting specific animals or freeing captives. And the challenges consists of fun little things to do around the world like cut down flags and chase chickens. On top of all the time you’ll spend gathering resources, there are enough sights and activities to keep you busy if you don’t feel like speeding the plot along.

You absolutely should, though, because after that initial hump the story takes off just as wildly as it did in the last game. But instead of cultists and Japanese relics, this one has a full-on war between mountain men and private military, with a side of mysticism that’s built up to in a delightfully creepy way. There are plenty of echoes of the reboot in this one but the characters help punch it up, rendered in photo-realistic detail and driven by a lust for the artifact at the center of the plot. Your allies are colorful enough to care about, and your foes are vicious and crazed enough to despise. The only real weak link here is Lara herself, who gets very little characterization other than “woman of action” and “lost her dad”.

The incredible graphics don’t end with the characters, of course. The Siberian mountains are brought to life with impossibly detailed textures and convincing particle effects, with clear themes and palettes for each region. The tombs in particular can be breathtaking, secreted into cliff faces and situated in ancient cisterns pierced by only the most distant shafts of light. Really the entire presentation, sound and interface included, is top-notch and helps the impression that Rise is a marked improvement even over the majesty that was the 2013 reboot. There are yet more features beyond the 20-hour campaign such as the expeditions that let you replay areas with cards that change up the mission rules, but I found them little more than distractions from the meat of the game. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a rich offering, both visually and mechanically stunning in a way that few games can match.

I always say this when Rise comes up, but the Endurance Mode DLC is awesome and well worth the purchase price alone if you bought the complete edition or season pass. It takes all the finicky crafting mechanics that felt ancillary to the main gameplay and pits Lara on a procedurally generated Siberian tileset where you have to raid tombs and survive managing both hunger and warmth, fighting off bears and Trinity agents alike. It's punishing, unforgiving, and highly addictive. Really the best part about that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Too Shy Guy posted:

Like you, I only came into Tomb Raider with the 2013 reboot and I've recently started with Rise. I'm really enjoying the eponymous tombs this time around, since they're much involved than the mini-puzzles that they were in the last game. Something I like about the series is that they're really exploring more off-beat mythologies than a lot of games do. Bloody, tribalistic, early-Japan in the first one, Eastern Orthodox cults in this.