Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Another Person posted:

Things about ottomans

Yea so byz and Serbia(but really just serbia) having a chance of forming so decent alliances has been around since cossacks or mare nostrum. And in case of byz, who really cares. I've seen serbia get alliance with hungary fairly often, but byz os still out of luck unless it's a player.

As for man power, yea you fight a bunch of wars early on as the ottos, but primarily against puny minors. If you lose lots of manpower fighting those you seriously need to step up your military game. The first reasonably large fight you should get into is either serbia with Hungary or aq qoyunlu with whatever they have as friends and those are again entirely manageable without burning through mp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Yea so byz and Serbia(but really just serbia) having a chance of forming so decent alliances has been around since cossacks or mare nostrum. And in case of byz, who really cares. I've seen serbia get alliance with hungary fairly often, but byz os still out of luck unless it's a player.

As for man power, yea you fight a bunch of wars early on as the ottos, but primarily against puny minors. If you lose lots of manpower fighting those you seriously need to step up your military game. The first reasonably large fight you should get into is either serbia with Hungary or aq qoyunlu with whatever they have as friends and those are again entirely manageable without burning through mp.
Most people are complaining that ai ottomans doesn't exist, not sure about that guy in particular.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

Could someone please inform me why this counts as "no adjacent" despite 3 cored provinces right next to it?

Did you try the old standby of deleting the map cache and letting it recalculate?

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Any tips for getting an Ardabil game off the ground? You start with one 9 dev province, a tiny army, Qara Qoyunlu hates your guts and nobody important is willing to ally you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Mamluk government is getting a bit annoying with how it resets my legitimacy to 20 everytime the ruler dies and the new guy takes over. But at least the replacement is young and has +2 admin. I'm not really missing heirs or consorts that much (even though it makes the Sunni bonuses completely worthless).
edit My fourth ruler didn't tank my legitimacy, for some reason. :confused:

Something weird with the decision to form Egypt. It says Mamluk Government with a red X in front meaning I need to have that government to form Egypt but I do have it, I started with it. If you have to have another form of government the tooltip should be fixed to reflect it.

Fintilgin posted:

Did you try the old standby of deleting the map cache and letting it recalculate?
No, I have no idea what that even means. :saddowns:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 20, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Contingency Plan posted:

Any tips for getting an Ardabil game off the ground? You start with one 9 dev province, a tiny army, Qara Qoyunlu hates your guts and nobody important is willing to ally you.

start a war, offer to become their vassal in the peace deal, get your independence supported by their rivals and take land in the peace deal

this might not work but it's worth trying

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

No, I have no idea what that even means. :saddowns:

I don't have the game in front of me, but I think if you go into the game folders you should find something like...

euiv/maps/cache

delete all the poo poo in the cache folder and then start the game. It'll take longer to start and recalculate all the province distances/adjacencies and such. Used to use it when distances got screwed up after patches, but haven't had to do it in a long while.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I don't have the game in front of me, but I think if you go into the game folders you should find something like...

euiv/maps/cache

delete all the poo poo in the cache folder and then start the game. It'll take longer to start and recalculate all the province distances/adjacencies and such. Used to use it when distances got screwed up after patches, but haven't had to do it in a long while.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

I found the map folder but there is no cache folder in it.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 20, 2017

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Poil posted:

The Mamluk government is getting a bit annoying with how it resets my legitimacy to 20 everytime the ruler dies and the new guy takes over. But at least the replacement is young and has +2 admin. I'm not really missing heirs or consorts that much (even though it makes the Sunni bonuses completely worthless).
edit My fourth ruler didn't tank my legitimacy, for some reason. :confused:

Your legitimacy varies based on which successor you pick. The Circassian option gives 100 legitimacy and 15 army tradition.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think if you don't have the DLC, you just get some rando with 20 legitimacy each time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Your legitimacy varies based on which successor you pick. The Circassian option gives 100 legitimacy and 15 army tradition.

Jay Rust posted:

I think if you don't have the DLC, you just get some rando with 20 legitimacy each time.
Yes. It's just a random new guy.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Oh, then it sounds like Mamluks without the DLC suck balls. With the DLC they are super powerful.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Oh, then it sounds like Mamluks without the DLC suck balls. With the DLC they are super powerful.
So Paradox is dipping explicitly into the "Make existing content worse" way of marketing DLC now?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

That seems like more of a bug or an oversight than an intentional thing. It could probably be fixed with a mod, even.

Anyone with the dlc, is there a good reason to form Egypt or Arabia as Mamluks that I'm missing? You get some claims but the Mamluk government seems to be almost on par with Prussia, that +2 admin bonus is absolutely massive.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 20, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

I found the map folder but there is no cache folder in it.

Huh. Maybe that was just an EU3 thing....? :confused:

Sorry, dude. :(

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Most people are complaining that ai ottomans doesn't exist, not sure about that guy in particular.

yeah im talking only about ai ottomans

player ottomans still works easily enough

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Huh. Maybe that was just an EU3 thing....? :confused:

Sorry, dude. :(
No worries, thanks anyway. :)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Contingency Plan posted:

I had a good one going yesterday but hosed it up due to hubris.

An essential thing to note is that you start off with several core provinces outside your control, if these rebel and are occupied by rebels for a couple of years they will defect to you. Use this. You can support rebels or just wait for Shah Rukh to die and thngs to just kind of break apart, they will also get the safawwiyah event which raises unrest by 5 and should lead to a revolt. If you support rebels you can even declare war to support them, which should net you a nice enough army. It seems that both QQ and Ajam have a tendency to warn you right out of the gate, so keep that in mind.

You have too start off early by collecting a little collection of allies that can help you out defensively and offensively, that means they shouldn't be too large as you want to be able to gain favor from them. I got some good use out of Ak Qoyunlu and the Shiites in southern Iraq, as well as Georgia who even gave me Shirvan which I had claimed when I helped them out in an offensive war.

If, with a bit of luck, you should be able to have your cores under control and control other neighboring provinces like Tabriz and Shirvan and the QQ should be carved up within a couple of decades of old Shah Rukh dying. You have to be careful though, I sadly hosed this one up by becoming overconfident and declaring war on Ajam, who had basically no army at the time, supported only by the Iraqi Shiites (I was too impatient to wait for my other allies) and not considering enough their vassals and the AI tendency to throw together an army in a war. And that basically ended that campaign, which looked poised to see me create Persia by around 1500.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I'm doing a Najd game and the Horde Allegiance gain seems pretty unbalanced. The first few wars I was pretty much constantly at 100 and the ability to make basically your forcelimit in Cav for 0 gold and 0 manpower was pretty ridiculous.

Now that i've expanded a bit I'm constantly on 0 Allegiance because even large wars only seem to get me 5-10 by the time they end since I'm losing ~5 a year. Does anyone know the formula they use to calculate the gain from battles?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
New DLC means the old ones are on sale and it's been a long time since I've played. Are there any super important features in Right of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Third Rome? Rights of Man seems pretty major, but can Mandate or Third Rome be skipped if I don't have any interest in playing in Asia or do they have important game-wide features?

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 20, 2017

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

New Butt Order posted:

New DLC means the old ones are on sale and it's been a long time since I've played. Are there any super important features in Right of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Third Rome? More specifically, can Mandate or Third Rome be skipped if I don't have any interest in playing in Asia or do they have important game-wide features?

The only super important game-wide thing in Mandate is the Diplomatic Macro Builder. It makes your life a lot easier but it isn't really substantive. The ages system is also game-wide I guess, but it's not that important.

Third Rome is categorically useless unless you play as a Russian country or Orthodox.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rights of man has ruler/leader traits, consorts (which means almost never having a regency), disinherting bad heirs, special prussia government where all rulers have at least 3 mil, coptic bonuses for good good copttomans play, special ottoman government for normal ottomans play, strengthen government

third rome makes russia super strong and has the orthodox bonuses, which are all pretty good

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Poil posted:

No worries, thanks anyway. :)
Have you checked the documents/Paradox Interactive folder? A few files seem to end up there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

New Butt Order posted:

New DLC means the old ones are on sale and it's been a long time since I've played. Are there any super important features in Right of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Third Rome? Rights of Man seems pretty major, but can Mandate or Third Rome be skipped if I don't have any interest in playing in Asia or do they have important game-wide features?

Third Rome is basically for Russians only, it’s very handy for that but adds little for anyone else. Mandate adds the diplomacy macros which are really useful for just about anyone, but prepared to be annoyed by Ming’s bullshit if you ever go anywhere near east Asia.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Third Rome (lol) is mostly if you play a lot of Russia games and think they're severely underpowered and need a big boost. :v:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Have you checked the documents/Paradox Interactive folder? A few files seem to end up there.
Yup, but I couldn't find anything like it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Hey that's not fair, it's ALSO for custom nation gimmick games to take advantage of siberian frontiers in the new world.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really wish money you get from peace deals wouldn't show up as income in the upper left corner (or in the economy screen I think). It's just a one time thing, unfortunately. The event that gives you 50 pop in a current colony or 200 in a nearby new one popped and I thought I was making enough money to run with the extra colony but the next monthly tick my money started draining like crazy so I had to make giant mothballs to put my forts into.

reignonyourparade posted:

Hey that's not fair, it's ALSO for custom nation gimmick games to take advantage of siberian frontiers in the new world.
Didn't they patch that? Or just nerf it so it's still possible but not quite as insanely broken?

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 20, 2017

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

No matter what I do in the peace treaty short of either surrendering or white peace, Uesugi declares independence. Imagawa only declares independence if I annex Ashigawa. I also can't make Ashigawa a tributary unless I declare independence for some reason. So no matter what happens, I lose a daimyo and likely have to deal with Ming since they will become a tributary. Good poo poo I guess.

Poil posted:

Could someone please inform me why this counts as "no adjacent" despite 3 cored provinces right next to it?

I've got the same thing in the Philippines. Guessing its a worldwide bug.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Japan is all kinds of hosed up and will continue to be so until the 2136 release of Europa Universalis 9: The Wrath of George W. Bush.

Don't bother too much with the Shogunate system, just overthrow and annex Ashikaga last.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I my Korea game last week the shogun got into a civil war and had no supporting subjects so I was able to declare war and snipe a couple of provinces. Naturally the shogun somehow scored a white peace against the overwhelming daiyomo dayi vassals but he couldn't do anything except cry into his sushi despite my small and pathetic army with a lacking navy and no allies. :hurr:

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

bees everywhere posted:

Anyone with the dlc, is there a good reason to form Egypt or Arabia as Mamluks that I'm missing? You get some claims but the Mamluk government seems to be almost on par with Prussia, that +2 admin bonus is absolutely massive.

I've done the Arabia decision as them and it didn't change my government.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Carver posted:

I've done the Arabia decision as them and it didn't change my government.

Kinda makes me feel like that should downgrade over time. So first it's +2, after some years becomes +1, then 0, then goes negative.

Like, there should be a reason you don't keep running medieval slave soldier government into the nineteenth century... :lol:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Kinda makes me feel like that should downgrade over time. So first it's +2, after some years becomes +1, then 0, then goes negative.

Like, there should be a reason you don't keep running medieval slave soldier government into the nineteenth century... :lol:
Um, what happens if you pass the decision to outlaw slavery? :v:

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Poil posted:

Um, what happens if you pass the decision to outlaw slavery? :v:

Nothing, provinces change trade good but you can still sell off your slaves.

e: nevermind its been greyed out cause I would get 0 ducats. Didn't notice because I just stopped caring about gold and hitting another button for more gold.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 21, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Poil posted:

I really wish money you get from peace deals wouldn't show up as income in the upper left corner (or in the economy screen I think). It's just a one time thing, unfortunately. The event that gives you 50 pop in a current colony or 200 in a nearby new one popped and I thought I was making enough money to run with the extra colony but the next monthly tick my money started draining like crazy so I had to make giant mothballs to put my forts into.

Didn't they patch that? Or just nerf it so it's still possible but not quite as insanely broken?

I think it's 200, so it's just BARELY possible if you don't get any other useful ideas for the 200 point achievements but fully an option for Ideas Guy.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ok I think I figured out why uesugi kept declaring independence. Apparently they changed government to feudal monarchy? Looked through my old saves and they got knocked out and brought back through rebels, so I guess the rebels made them a feudal monarchy instead of daiymo. It doesn’t explain why the other ally would declare independence when I annexed the shogun, but at least there’s some explanation.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

Ok I think I figured out why uesugi kept declaring independence. Apparently they changed government to feudal monarchy? Looked through my old saves and they got knocked out and brought back through rebels, so I guess the rebels made them a feudal monarchy instead of daiymo. It doesn’t explain why the other ally would declare independence when I annexed the shogun, but at least there’s some explanation.

merchant republics and japan are great examples of old mechanics being totally hosed and underbalanced by more recent patches

can we have EU5 already

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

I'm wrapping up an Ardabil to Persia game and I'm about two wars with the Ottomans away from getting This Is Persia. I just kept restarting the game if Qara didn't start friendly towards me. Even then, I screwed up two attempts in risky wars. For the one that finally worked, I allied Qara straight away and got allies when I could, but Mushasha was the only one I was able to stick with for awhile. Got lucky with Ajam stumbling into a war with Timurids within the first five years of the game. I jumped on them with Qara and Mushasha's help to get my cores back. Took most of Shirvan's provinces but for most of the early game I just tried to wait till I could get that first national idea that gives you morale and monthly progress towards mysticism. Got it at the same time as the morale boost from defensive ideas which made a huge difference in fights.

Started one war with Ajam and joined Qara in another till they got reduced to one province. Qara ended up giving a bunch of their land to the Timurids in that peace deal which kept them strong for awhile, but later I jumped Timurids when they were bogged down in a war and cut them in half. That gave me enough development to where I could rival Qara and leave them with no allies just in time for the Mamluks to attack. I took what was left of Qara when the truce was up and formed Persia about a decade into the age of reformation. I had been careful not to take any land that the Ottomans had claimed or wanted through missions so I got them as an ally fairly quickly.

From then it was smooth sailing. Got all my permanent claims, ate what was left of Timurids and just expanded everywhere I could till the Ottomans broke their alliance with Russia that they'd had for most of the game. When they did I rivaled them which let me instantly ally Austria near the start of the age of absolutism. I went all in on military ideas so with Austria's help we've been grinding down the Ottomans to the point where they really can't defend themselves anymore, I'm stack wiping them every battle now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

really queer Christmas posted:

I wish that re-forming states had at least a chance to become their original govt type, because that doesn't seem to be the case. It's real annoying when you play in the HRE and oops, free cities just start disappearing, never to return or be replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

merchant republics and japan are great examples of old mechanics being totally hosed and underbalanced by more recent patches

can we have EU5 already

I don’t disagree, but wasn’t Japan overhauled with Mandate of Heaven? That kinda makes it more glaring there’s so many issues with it;
just feels saddening that there’s been two expansions since then and it’s still broken after 1444.

Mr. Fowl posted:

I wish that re-forming states had at least a chance to become their original govt type, because that doesn't seem to be the case. It's real annoying when you play in the HRE and oops, free cities just start disappearing, never to return or be replaced.
:agreed:

Free cities are basically impossible to resestablish which is weird considering the emperor gets great bonuses from them existing. Also, saw another country beat up a daimyo who freed former daimyos and they also had feudal monarchy for government type. So I guess once you lose it, it’s gone forever.