Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be your champions come Sunday Morning?
This poll is closed.
Bisping/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 51 29.82%
Bisping/Garbrandt/Namajunas 8 4.68%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 16 9.36%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Namajunas 3 1.75%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Namajunas 12 7.02%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 62 36.26%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Namajunas 6 3.51%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 13 7.60%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Other people have done this without loving up the title picture as badly as Conor has. I didn't mention debt. In fact, no one loving did. The only people who mention debt here are the people ironically bagging on non-existent people who constantly loving mention debt, ironically only done by people discounting debt as a discussion topic.

Also, yeah, the belt thing kind of matters. Is it really so unbelievable to you that there are people who want the belt/title picture to be at least semi legitimate? Rather than having the LW belt held by someone who's fought once in the division before loving off for 18 months while the same two guys with massive win streaks keep getting passed over exactly as they have been for 18 months? (closer to two years, since Khabib or Tony should have got the shot before Alvarez.

Not really, though. On the whole, PPVs are down. Sure, people are watching his PPVs (just like they watched Brock's, Ronda's, GSPs) but they're not sticking around to watch anything else. If you need proof, look at UFC 191, just next to two Ronda cards and a Conor card, and it sold exactly as well as you'd expect a Mighty Mouse card to sell.

And it's come at the cost of the LW title picture being hosed beyond recognition.

Defend a loving belt. Or relinquish it. Or just fight. Much as he won't have done for 18 loving months by the time April rolls around.

You're one post away from defending trickle down economics. Conor is good for Conor. No one else is getting any richer unless they're management.

Whats wrong with trickle down economics? :-]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Nate Diaz got loving paid.

Well, that's one. Unfortunately the UFC has four hundred and something fighters.

I.N.R.I posted:

Whats wrong with trickle down economics? :-]

Nothing, if you're the billionaire owner of a company.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Snowman_McK posted:

Other people have done this without loving up the title picture as badly as Conor has. I didn't mention debt. In fact, no one loving did. The only people who mention debt here are the people ironically bagging on non-existent people who constantly loving mention debt, ironically only done by people discounting debt as a discussion topic.

Also, yeah, the belt thing kind of matters. Is it really so unbelievable to you that there are people who want the belt/title picture to be at least semi legitimate? Rather than having the LW belt held by someone who's fought once in the division before loving off for 18 months while the same two guys with massive win streaks keep getting passed over exactly as they have been for 18 months? (closer to two years, since Khabib or Tony should have got the shot before Alvarez.

If you can't get it through your head that there are people annoyed by the belt being held by someone who doesn't fight with any regularity based on any relationship with the actual division's rankings (official or hypothetical) then I don't know what to tell you

Not really, though. On the whole, PPVs are down. Sure, people are watching his PPVs (just like they watched Brock's, Ronda's, GSPs) but they're not sticking around to watch anything else. If you need proof, look at UFC 191, just next to two Ronda cards and a Conor card, and it sold exactly as well as you'd expect a Mighty Mouse card to sell.

And it's come at the cost of the LW title picture being hosed beyond recognition.

Defend a loving belt. Or relinquish it. Or just fight. Much as he won't have done for 18 loving months by the time April rolls around.

You're one post away from defending trickle down economics. Conor is good for Conor. No one else is getting any richer unless they're management.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKDeiMD9a7w

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
im just thinking, like, as an example all the neat stuff we have in cars now, that was developed in formula 1, which in turn benefited from materials developed by nasa. thats what trickle down economics means right? i dont think conor has anything to do with the ufc refusing to pay its undercard fighters a decent wage personally since they were paying them nothing before he ever showed up. i dont think its conors fault that the ufc underpays its fighters either. a sport that has no money in it is awful to compete in, health and safety concerns go out of the window, events are run cheaply and without comfort considerations to the athletes like travel expenses and accomodation, drug testing is nonexistent etc.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I.N.R.I posted:

im just thinking, like, as an example all the neat stuff we have in cars now, that was developed in formula 1, which in turn benefited from materials developed by nasa. thats what trickle down economics means right? i dont think conor has anything to do with the ufc refusing to pay its undercard fighters a decent wage personally since they were paying them nothing before he ever showed up. i dont think its conors fault that the ufc underpays its fighters either. a sport that has no money in it is awful to compete in, health and safety concerns go out of the window, events are run cheaply and without comfort considerations to the athletes like travel expenses and accomodation, drug testing is nonexistent etc.

No, trickle down economics refers to the idea that if you give corporations/billionaires tax cuts, they will spend the money on creating new jobs.

They don't, they just line their pockets.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, that's one. Unfortunately the UFC has four hundred and something fighters.

Nothing, if you're the billionaire owner of a company.

Fighters with PPV points did very well thanks to Conor and Rousey. They had a record PPV year last year, if you think no one else benefited you are nuts. Even if the big shows were bigger and the medium shows smaller, Conor wasn't the only one on the big shows. Without him, who is going to draw those kind of buyrates? This isn't to say the fighters are paid fairly, but you are on the other extreme.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Memento posted:

No, trickle down economics refers to the idea that if you give corporations/billionaires tax cuts, they will spend the money on creating new jobs.

either way i think it undeniable that no athlete wants to compete in a poor sport even if earning millions isnt their personal goal. since sports that cant afford the things i said in my last post, which is unfortunately most of them, cause athletes and organisations involved endless problems. so having a star athlete or two is never a bad thing

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
nice meltdown

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I've always wanted to post that.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK posted:

If you can't get it through your head that there are people annoyed by the belt being held by someone who doesn't fight with any regularity based on any relationship with the actual division's rankings (official or hypothetical) then I don't know what to tell you

I didn’t read this post

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I didn’t read this post

smart, tbqh

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

easy there senator

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Conor causes my otherwise not giving a poo poo about MMA friends to want to enthusiastically talk about and watch the cards he's on so for that I thank him because it's always a great time

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Memento posted:

While money that would have otherwise gone to the government almost certainly won't all go to job creation equally it seems like a nigh unsupportable claim that none will go to new economic activity. Iirc the empirical evidence suggests the most to least economically harmful taxes are corporate, personal income, vat/gst, property. This is way off topic though.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
People who like fighters I don’t like probably voted for politicians I don’t like, and also use the wrong game consoles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fat Twitter Man posted:

People who like fighters I don’t like probably voted for politicians I don’t like, and also use the wrong game consoles.

Those anti-skub bastards.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
fights are good, accounting and tmz chat is bad

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/JustinBuchholz/status/932757929517760512

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SquirrelGrip posted:

fights are good, accounting and tmz chat is bad

They signed a bunch of new Chinese guys for Bisping vs Gastelum and booked them against total bottom feeder UFC fighters. that kind of thing will either be really good or really bad and either way I look forward to it

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Conor brought a ton of eyeballs and raised the ceiling for fighter pay. We won’t ever know the full impact but I’m gonna trust the dozens of top name fighters that have come out and thanked or given him props for “what he has done for the sport.” Overall fighters are asking for and getting more. Joanna makes more money than B.J. used to.

His lack of fighting in the ufc sucks tho, he’s getting nearly as bad as that Russian dude

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

They signed a bunch of new Chinese guys for Bisping vs Gastelum and booked them against total bottom feeder UFC fighters. that kind of thing will either be really good or really bad and either way I look forward to it

Hometown fighters getting wrecked and the complete silence that follows is always nice.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Local sports radio had their MMA/Boxing show on and they were discussing how Woodley called out Diaz and Diaz is refusing. Another coward revealed.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
I bid $200,000,001

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbsqLtwgOTQ/?hl=en&taken-by=markhuntfighter

Hunt is either going to fix things or is going to do something utterly insane

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbsqLtwgOTQ/?hl=en&taken-by=markhuntfighter

Hunt is either going to fix things or is going to do something utterly insane

Why not both?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Because if he gets what he wants he is momentarily placated

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

it's so cool that a group called "team alpha male" is at all times utterly consumed by internecine teen girl conflict

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I know he's one of their idiot coaches who needed to have all the attention on themselves this past season of TUF but what is the info behind this? I am guessing he left Team Alpha Male?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

I know he's one of their idiot coaches who needed to have all the attention on themselves this past season of TUF but what is the info behind this? I am guessing he left Team Alpha Male?

He's been sending pictures to Sage even though he knew Chet was crushing on him and everybody was already pissed off at him for using Brad's bronzer

mewse
May 2, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it's so cool that a group called "team alpha male" is at all times utterly consumed by internecine teen girl conflict

True

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Danny said that Chad said that Cody said that Justin said that Urijah said...

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
bucholz sucked . not ufc level

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Because if he gets what he wants he is momentarily placated

What if the utterly insane thing he does fixes it, rather than he fixes it then does something utterly insane.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

CommonShore posted:

They just did a casting call for "undefeated male fighters." The only other signal is that they seem to have quietly abandoned the "TUF around the world" campaign. The TUF Latin America 3 finale was over a year ago, and I've seen no buzz about any continuation of that series.

IMO they should split the difference on TUF and DW'sTNCS: ditch the house and run a steady flow of four-fighter tournaments for UFC shots.

The Fertitta's were pushing for global expansion and TUF *insert region* was their first step towards that. From memory Lorenzo's last words on the subject before the sale was that he envisioned different countries having their own UFC 'league' which then fed into the UFC itself.

WME dropped those plans with the purchase as they felt it was better to focus on the North American market.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nibbles! posted:

The Fertitta's were pushing for global expansion and TUF *insert region* was their first step towards that. From memory Lorenzo's last words on the subject before the sale was that he envisioned different countries having their own UFC 'league' which then fed into the UFC itself.

WME dropped those plans with the purchase as they felt it was better to focus on the North American market.

Yep.

:byodood: Total Fukken World Fukken Domination :hellyeah:

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CommonShore posted:

They just did a casting call for "undefeated male fighters." The only other signal is that they seem to have quietly abandoned the "TUF around the world" campaign. The TUF Latin America 3 finale was over a year ago, and I've seen no buzz about any continuation of that series.

IMO they should split the difference on TUF and DW'sTNCS: ditch the house and run a steady flow of four-fighter tournaments for UFC shots.

I suggested a while back that the best format for TUF would be the old Tapout show (which I guess is the same as the Dana/Serra fight pass show) mixed with TNCS. Send a crew to with some retired UFC fighters to these guys’ gyms/homes, catch some footage of them training so you know and care who they are, then show their fights. It might be tough to get Embedded-style footage of them arriving in Vegas and weighing in the day prior ready to show on fight night, but that would be good too.

Works for foreign TUF too. Just let guys train for a couple weeks in the US prior to their fights, then show that on Phillipine/Mexican/Indian TV before they go fight an American on TNCS

Fat Twitter Man fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 21, 2017

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
At the very least we can all agree that the live season of TUF was a waste of time.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nierbo posted:

At the very least we can all agree that the live season of TUF was a waste of time.

It was an okay season but the live part added nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah it really didn't add anything. I still think rashad/rampage was the best season due to the constant tension between those two. And Danas hate for Roy Nelson helped.

• Locked thread