Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Some how I read the price wrong. I was looking at humble the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

il_cornuto posted:

I also liked Dragons Dogma a lot, but I will say that I found some of it weirdly repetitive - you fight the same big monsters and trek back and forth through the same areas quite often. The combat is fun enough that it wasn't too big a deal for me, but it's probably the one thing I thought was outright kind of bad rather than acceptably janky.

This is reduced a lot in any version with the expansion pack since your fast travel abilities are way way better in it (foreverial wakestone and you get like 4 port crystals in the course of the game instead now) but you'll still see a ton of cyclopses and can go the whole game without finding the hydra or cockatrice if you don't know what to do to find them.

Also the plot for Dragon's Dogma is a lot more cohesive if you go in to it with the knowledge that the overarching theme is that literally everyone but the arisen and pawns are unequivocally stupid and bad at their jobs. Not a single NPC does what they set out to do without directly asking the player for help, and honestly it seems like an intentional theme given how the Salvation subplot ends and everything involving Valmiro.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Wildtortilla posted:

This is the exact reason I don't like new Doom. When you're shooting demons it's great. The moment that ends it's an unfinished hunt for secrets and the next room in which to shoot demons.

That's exactly why Arcade Mode exists, where you can just say to hell with exploration and you're mechanically incentivized for finding new and creative ways to rip and tear everything in your path as quickly and messily as possible

(this is not exaggeration, if you didn't know arcade mode was a thing and haven't tried it yet, you really should)

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 21, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ThylaStudios/status/932973321452474368

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Baldurs Gate 2 has a really good magic system.

This is not true. A shitload of the late-game is just "Dude is immune to you until you cast spells X, Y and Z on him to strip his protective buffs" or "These guys will one-shot you until you have cast spells X and Y on yourself before the fight".

BG2 is a great RPG, but the actual mechanics in it are very outdated, as you might expect from a game released nearly twenty years ago.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

That's exactly why Arcade Mode exists, where you can just say to hell with exploration and you're mechanically incentivized for finding new and creative ways to rip and tear everything in your path as quickly and messily as possible

(this is not exaggeration, if you didn't know arcade mode was a thing and haven't tried it yet, you really should)

I didn't know arcade mode is a thing. I only played Doom during the free weekend a few months ago. I'll have to check out arcade mode.

Edit: it sounds like arcade mode simply gives you all the weapons, fully upgraded, indicates where to go next time continue your rampage, and grades you on how effectively you kick the rear end of everything in your way? This sounds incredible! I loving hated hunting for secrets in the few levels included in the free weekend.

I have plenty of room remaining in my 2017 gaming budget for video games, maybe I'll get Prey and Doom if the prices are right!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 21, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Nuramor posted:

They got rid of that mechanic. Ever since Spellforce 2 enemy camps (mostly) work the same way yours does. The AI does get the occasional cash injection or storyscripted spawns but it's not really noticeable.

Oh that's cool, I'll take a look at them then

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
The "jank" of Dragon's Dogma as an RPG is massively overstated in a world where Skyrim exists.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Count Uvula posted:

This is reduced a lot in any version with the expansion pack since your fast travel abilities are way way better in it (foreverial wakestone and you get like 4 port crystals in the course of the game instead now) but you'll still see a ton of cyclopses and can go the whole game without finding the hydra or cockatrice if you don't know what to do to find them.

Also the plot for Dragon's Dogma is a lot more cohesive if you go in to it with the knowledge that the overarching theme is that literally everyone but the arisen and pawns are unequivocally stupid and bad at their jobs. Not a single NPC does what they set out to do without directly asking the player for help, and honestly it seems like an intentional theme given how the Salvation subplot ends and everything involving Valmiro.

The story of Dragons Dogma is pretty cohesive you just aren't told outright what's really going on until the very end.

The expansion (which the PC version includes) really does make the game easier and more comfortable to play with all the fast travel options, but it does also lose a lot of atmosphere and tension. Without an infinite riftstone going on a mission to a corner of the map was a real quest, where you had to plan for the return journey. Get enough health and stamina refill, and various counter-status consumables to not only get to the target, but also beat the target, and then get back, probably during nighttime when things get real. It was kind of awesome. In Dark Arisen you'll basically never see the night time combat unless you explicitly want to.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MDK free on GOG

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Night time combat in DD is stupid because it's an endless chain of wolves harassing you. I like action RPGs and can tolerate jank, but DD never clicked with me and it's a shame. It looks like something I'd enjoy. :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wildtortilla posted:

Night time combat in DD is stupid because it's an endless chain of wolves harassing you. I like action RPGs and can tolerate jank, but DD never clicked with me and it's a shame. It looks like something I'd enjoy. :(

They hunt in packs

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Am I crazy or do the two trailers for it on the Steam page look very different from each other?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Masterworks all, you can't go wrong!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Surprisingly to me, I'm really getting into Tyranny. So far these sorts of games(isometric? Basically just the style where you scroll around and click to walk) haven't really clicked with me yet. I liked Divinity OS 2 for the most part but it wound up sort of overwhelming me a bit. For some reason I quit playing Pillars about a hour in, can't remember why.

After I finish Tyranny here is my list of somewhat similar games to try that I already have- Baldurs Gate 2 EE, Planescape Torment, Tides of Numenera, Shadowrun games and I can go back to Pillars as well. I know Baldur's Gate is supposed to be a classic but to be honest I really can't stand vancian magic. Is that a common thing in Baldurs Gate? I could just play another class I guess but I'm having fun with the spells in Tyranny. FWIW I don't really have a preference between RTwP or turn based. If there are cool builds, spells, abilities or loot or whatever I seem pretty happy.

edit: Oh yeah I also picked up Wasteland 2 on sale a while back. I heard it's a bit meh but from what I understand people weren't crazy about Tyranny that much so maybe I'll like it.

If you go back to Baldurs Gate, which I suggest you should, I think you should get a mod that lets you rest anywhere. This makes the vancian magic tolerable imo

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also, Dragon's Dogma has the genius design choice of having a rather important side quest line that opens up a whole new area of the map be extremely easily missable by going too far in the story (with absolutely no warning).

Still a very fun game though, would recommend.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It bears the head of a cock!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So how's Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate? The opinions online are WILDLY varying. Depending on where you look both are either very good or both utter poo poo. I'm really impressed by highly detailed worlds so if theres a lot of love given to that aspect I think I would probably be willing to overlook some basic jank. The last AC I played as 4. Don't bother recommending Origins, its already on my list.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the goonsensus was that Unity is poo poo and Syndicate good.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Both have bleh stories but I liked Syndicate's characters better. Both have really fun worlds to explore. Both have different mechanics from eachother.

It really depends on how much you actually like the AC formula cause they're both pretty by the numbers for the franchise and don't do a heck of a lot differently except maybe ACS with the grappling hook and higher focus on guns and gangs.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So how's Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate? The opinions online are WILDLY varying. Depending on where you look both are either very good or both utter poo poo. I'm really impressed by highly detailed worlds so if theres a lot of love given to that aspect I think I would probably be willing to overlook some basic jank. The last AC I played as 4. Don't bother recommending Origins, its already on my list.

Unity is absolutely gorgeous to look at. Still one of the best-looking games ever. If a visually amazing representation of France in revolution sounds cool to you, check it out. If you want decent gameplay, however, wellllll. It's pretty boring overall. They have like a customizable weapons/armor loadout thing and you can go around with a greatsword instead of being fulltime sneakymans if you want, but it's really not as great as it sounds. I rushed the main story once I'd had my fill of the visuals.

Syndicate is also really pretty, but dialed back a bit. Victorian London is my personal fav setting for the series, and the game is a ton of fun to play. Improved stealth, multiple ways to clear out areas, a fun zipline thing that never gets old (complete with overhead dropdown stealth kills), two different characters to customize and swap between. The Jack The Ripper DLC is also pretty good, taking place years later. It stars the female lead now in her late 40s, which is kinda a unique little thing you basically never see in games.

I haven't played Origins yet, but Syndicate is by far my favorite in the series and the first one that truly clicked for me. It's just extremely fun to play in an excellent setting.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Pillars review coming tomorrow, so for now let's talk about one of the best ways to die over and over and over and still have a good time. If anything about N++ looks good to you I encourage you to pick it up during the sale, because it's all that and plenty more.

Despite the enormous glut of platformers out there, you’ll find few as essential to the genre as the N series. Now over twelve years old, N boiled down the platformer genre to its barest essentials and then cranked up the difficulty that could be offered through those mechanics. We’re two generations removed from the original Flash release, and N++ contains all the content, concepts, and challenge you would expect from an evolution of the series. Assuming you can hang with the precipitous difficulty curve, there’s an absurd amount to discover about the game even for fans of N and N+.

You’re a ninja, which is a pretty good plot hook in and of itself. There’s no story offered aside from you loving gold and you needing to escape… wherever the hell you are. This translates into single-screen levels with an exit door and a switch that opens said door. All you have to do is hit the switch and get out before time runs out, and collecting gold helps bump your timer back up. Complicating matters are a vast array of explosives, lasers, drones, clones, zappers, and other traps between you, the gold, and the exit. The further you get into the game the more you’ll need to cheat death as you sprint and wall-jump your way from one level to the next.

It’s a challenge platformer, one that prides itself on giving you simple, solid mechanics and pressing you to master them completely. You have no attacks or special moves, just a brisk run, a floaty jump, and the ability to cling to and leap from walls. Everything in your way kills you instantly with just a touch, even walls and ceilings if you get your momentum up high enough. The controls are impossibly tight so you have full command of your ninja in weaving through minefields and springing from narrow ledges, and they even hide a few clever mechanics like being able to reach high ascent speeds through quick wall jumps or getting extra air from leaping perpendicularly from inclines.

There’s always going to be a frustration factor with instant death platformers but N++ handles this aspect with an expert level of wisdom. Respawns are near-instant, and with levels being only one screen large there’s a general limit on how long they can be. However, levels are grouped together in sets of five that must be beaten in a single sitting. You can always quit a level if it’s too hard and come back to it later but sets must be started from the beginning, so if you’re stuck on the last of the five there’s a very real pressure on you to power through it. Late in the game this subtle goading is used to great effect in sets that have multiple problem levels, keeping you chipping away at the latter ones just because the former ones were such a pain.

The levels themselves are exquisite works of minimalist art, living squarely in that space of clean lines and smooth animations that REZ, Lumines, and EDGE occupy. Most have some resemblance or pattern or meaning in their structure, supported by clever titles always shown in the lower right corner. You’ll also unlock color schemes as you play, allowing you to change the simple grays to vibrant mixes of every hue imaginable. Some even introduce their own challenges by making certain traps blend together, but can certainly be avoided in favor of more practical, high-contrast palettes.

With such a simple gameplay concept it’s the traps that give this one life, and it’s also the traps that fans of N and N+ will be most concerned with. Most of the design is based around mines, explodey things that will kill you instantly. Levels often have these dotted along walls, laid in patches on floors, protruding from corners, and assembled into aesthetically-pleasing clusters all to threaten you with death if you flub a wall jump. N++ introduces a major new mechanic here with inactive mines that arm after touching them once. This allows for entirely new styles of levels where you have to choose your paths carefully lest you render them impossibly lethal for the return trip.

While mines will be your primary nemesis, there are plenty more ways to end your very swift and mobile life. Electrified drones and seekers will trace walls or home in on you to kill you with a touch. Turrets of all types, machine gun, laser, and the dreaded homing missile, will track you if you dare poke your head out of cover. Moving platforms, one-way floors, trap doors, and powerful springs can all help or hinder your progress depending on how they’re used. A few notable additions here include accelerators that boost your momentum when you pass them, used to launch you over gaps or crush you against walls. Then there are the clones, ominous swirls that form into copies of you that follow your moves exactly and kill you if they catch up to you. The new additions for this version in particular are used to set up some very clever and unique challenges, keeping the game fresh even for long-time veterans of the series.

Rounding out this solid offering is the fact that it is absurdly huge in scope. There are, and I’m not making this up, over 1500 single-player levels to complete. Sets of levels are arranged in a huge grid with the top row unlocked, and beating one of those sets unlocks the set below it which gives some much-needed flexibility in level selection. Then if you beat a set of five sets it becomes unlocked in Hardcore mode, where your retries are limited and tied to your timer. You’ve also got hundreds of Co-op and Race levels for local multiplayer, and then the vast oceans of user-created levels to choose from. All this makes N++ not just the definitive entry in the N series but one of the definitive challenge platformers in the genre. Near-flawless mechanics, clever level design, and massive amounts of content make it a must-have for any fan of platformers.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone here try the new titan quest expansion. I opened up steam today and for some reason they made a DLC for it?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

The "jank" of Dragon's Dogma as an RPG is massively overstated in a world where Skyrim exists.

Jank is something of a misnomer, the annoying parts of DD (dogshit UI, endless trekking) were deliberately put into the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Unity was boring imo and underused its setting to a criminal degree, everything was lukewarm about the game despite having a cool city. Syndicate is a lot better, has actually fun missions, a grappling hook, brutal finishers and the protagonists are fun to play as.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

Jank is something of a misnomer, the annoying parts of DD (dogshit UI, endless trekking) were deliberately put into the game.

Yeah, the "Jank" in DD is completely different to the kind you'd find in Skyrim. It's not really comparable.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Skyrim's still the better game though, but DD is also very good.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Unity is the definition of ambitious ideas but pisspoor execution. Unlike Assassins Creed 3 where Connor was the Forest Gump of the American Revolution and was involved in everything that led up to it, Arno is barely involved with the events of the French Revolution and so much of the setting is wasted on telling a really bland personal love story which I didn't care about. It also isn't optimized brilliantly even though most of the major technical problems were patched. But what I do like about Unity is how it goes back to the roots with regards to Assassination missions and gives you multiple options to go about assassinating your targets. It's almost like Hitman-lite.

Syndicate on the other hand is the much safer Assassins Creed game. It doesn't do anything particularly noteworthy or special and its ambitions were much lower than Unity's but what is there is competent at worst. I tend to rank it around the same level as Revelations in the series, a good if kinda forgettable game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I will say that liberating the neighborhoods in Syndicate suuuuuuuuucks

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

il_cornuto posted:

Skyrim's still the better game though, but DD is also very good.
Yeah, no. Skyrim is blandness finelly distilled into the most boring poo poo imaginable. DD can and will screw up bit it is always hilarious when it does. And its postgame DLC is basically a character action game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Skyrim is good and DD is good also in addition. Many things are good, and enjoying things are enjoyable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know much about dragon's dogma but i think the distinction is skyrim is glitchy. dragon's dogma is janky.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't like Skyrim very much but I like Dragon's Dogma a whole lot. It's also cool if you don't feel the same way! Hooray for video games.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just checking in to say that Hollow Knight is loving huge, jesus. I don't even know if I'm anywhere close to endgame. I just got to the second Hornet fight.

It feels like I must be reaching the end as I've got a lot of movement options and more specifically I've defeated two Dreamers. But that's just a guess, I really can't tell how far in I am.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I saw a picture of the map and it kind of just murdered any attempt to play the game. Don't look at it just focus.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I took a break from Hollow Knight while I was in the middle of Deepnest. Yikes, what a momentum killer for trying to pick it back up...

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Games are good

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I think Dragon's Dogma is my Deus Ex.

Now I'm sitting here waiting for 5:00 so I can go home and be the dangan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Skyrim is boring as hell, DD is amazing and fun