Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, Japan was completely redone with MoH. I ended up having to abandon an MoH Japan run after a series of stupid bugs. The straw that broke the camel's back was when one of my allies ended up not joining the independence war even though they had the green checkmark and were selected.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

New Butt Order posted:

New DLC means the old ones are on sale and it's been a long time since I've played. Are there any super important features in Right of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Third Rome? Rights of Man seems pretty major, but can Mandate or Third Rome be skipped if I don't have any interest in playing in Asia or do they have important game-wide features?

Rights of Man is siiiick, rerolling heirs is ridiculously powerful and I really like the ruler/general traits system

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
1.23 AI and forts status - still hosed:

I noticed Ethiopia moving troops up north toward my capital and activated the forts.
They certainly did not come from the undefended northeast. I took my eyes off them for a minute and they just waltzed past the garrisoned forts and started occupying the ungarrisoned ones.

Here's me tagging over to them to confirm that, yes, the rules of fort ZoC still apply... for players.

It's possible that they ignored the forts because I activated them after they already had that part of the map set as their destination. Still dumb.

But it's okay, Paradox assures me there are no issues with forts whatsoever. :downs:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sckye posted:

1.23 AI and forts status - still hosed:

I noticed Ethiopia moving troops up north toward my capital and activated the forts.
They certainly did not come from the undefended northeast. I took my eyes off them for a minute and they just waltzed past the garrisoned forts and started occupying the ungarrisoned ones.

Here's me tagging over to them to confirm that, yes, the rules of fort ZoC still apply... for players.

It's possible that they ignored the forts because I activated them after they already had that part of the map set as their destination. Still dumb.

But it's okay, Paradox assures me there are no issues with forts whatsoever. :downs:

Did a month rollover happen between when you activated the forts and they entered its zone of control?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, Japan was completely redone with MoH. I ended up having to abandon an MoH Japan run after a series of stupid bugs. The straw that broke the camel's back was when one of my allies ended up not joining the independence war even though they had the green checkmark and were selected.

Yeah, I'm about at this point in my Ayyubid run. Ottomans warning expired, which led to.. the warning not actually expiring, and so a year passed while I was like "what the hell" before the AI re-warned me anyway. :smith:

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did a month rollover happen between when you activated the forts and they entered its zone of control?

I activated the forts as soon as I saw their army heading north. Not sure exactly where they were, but it was at least 2-3 months worth of travel away from the first fort.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
My bet is that they own a single transport ship and that allows them to skip it because technically they could move their army over ship 1 by 1!

The Mamluks start with a fort in Aleppo, I've seen magic happen.
vvvvv

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 21, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

My bet is that they own a single transport ship and that allows them to skip it because technically they could move their army over ship 1 by 1!

That is not a ZoC rule.

It's more likely that they own a fleet of transport ships (because the AI loves building those)

e: Oh, in the absence of transports I think that I spotted another problem: units can travel from Jabbal Shammar to Al Jawf, then to the mothballed fort north of Ma'an. Units on a ZoC province can always move to an adjacent fort province. From there they can basically go wherever, because that mothballed fort isn't creating a Hostile ZoC. Units invading from that direction could have already been on that side of the gulf, so the 6 units on the other side of the gulf are blocked because they don't have military access through the south

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 21, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Can someone confirm if WAD or not?

Am ottomans trying out mysticism/legalism.
Legalism was meant to be high piety and mysticism low piety right? So why are their bonuses reversed? Legalism gives bonus tax and tech bonus and mysticism gives morale

And before you say that they’re just positionally reverses, my dhimmi estate hates high legalism (aka piety) while my umahs Love it and vice versa

Did they just switch it up? Because now legalism Is super buff where warring heretics gets you tech cost reduction and your religious estate loves you for easy easy admin (I got 99 % loyalty from stacking legalism events and donations)

Also re: merchant republics being obsolete. As a MP venice who takes in 400 ducats from trade a month by the end game, I have to agree. The state and absolutism limits gently caress you real hard. You just can’t compete in the late 1700s even if you sit on a bank of20k because your merc caps and manpower are dictated by fl, which are affected by states. SAme with trade power and sailors, leading to a silly situation where you can’t get half the fleet even someone like prussia with the Baltic can muster.

At least this updated patch made it so that your custom created trade cities can’t form alliances. It used to be so loving stupid because it’s make them abandon your trade city relationship with them but you couldn’t make another one.
You know what they REALLY need to fix though? Forbidding trade cities you make fromrandomly leaving...ESPECIALLY FOR TRIBUTARY STATUS! because holy gently caress I couldn’t make a single trade city east of Delhi that wouldn’t ditch my league to join a tributary of ming. It was maddening.

TLDR I really feel like they need to rebalance merchant republics...maybe by giving them buffs for concentrated development? (I.e provinces over 30 dev in a stated republic get extra manpower do multipliers) That way even if you are capped at 20 states, you can get some force multipliers...or change the limit
because 20 is so low, you can’t event state half of italy as venice.

Edit:phone post, please forgive rambling. I really liked merchant republic especially in MP but lord if they can’t fight in anything post 1600 and this patch with professionalism will just be the final nail because merchant reps rely on mercs more than anyone

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 21, 2017

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

That is not a ZoC rule.

It's more likely that they own a fleet of transport ships (because the AI loves building those)
~snip~

Okay, it turns out I had saved on the exact day I took the screenshots, as well as a week earlier, so I can experiment a bit and go into some detail.

First, Ethiopia is landlocked and no one on their side of the war has any transports. Kaffa has 2 ports, but they only have 2 barques, compared to Hejaz's 7 and my 1.

Second, they have no military access through Aden and Aden have -4 reasons to give it. It doesn't even matter though, because...

Third, even if they had had one, I tagged to Aden and gave Ethiopia military access - you cannot bypass the fort in Tabuk by going the Jabal Shammar - Al Jawf - Al Karak (the mothballed fort) route. Land access blocked by a hostile fort.
The only way that route is viable is if the Al Karak fort projects a zone of control - it doesn't when it's mothballed, so they can't do that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
feast your eyes upon the closest thing you will get to car underlights in euiv. very impressive, but it can't do anything because i can't actually afford to raise maintenance without losing a lot of money each month.

none of this involved the console. i just used the slacken standards button to get the manpower because i realised it gave me 100,000 manpower per press of the button. that is 1520ish units, 1000 over my forcelimit. i would have far more men, but i lost a lot of them just getting them into that pretty position like that to attrition.

slacken standards might need a nerf. you can wage foreverwars with that button by the endgame.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 21, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:stare:

Also how many leaders do you have? :psyduck:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I had like 18. I wasn't gaining any milpoints at all. I was losing 3 per month.

The whole reason I did this was to test the limits of army professionalism. First I wanted to see if there was a cap to the max amount of professionalism you can gain per month. Then I got a further idea. There doesn't seem to be a cap, but it also seems to go up too slowly to be realistically abuse-able.

The second idea was this: I wanted to see if you could set up a manpower battery farm of men drilling endlessly, to get 5% professionalism and then hit the button to get more manpower and just spam a million infantry out every month. Then, you just leave those men drilling in a ringfenced off area, surrounded by forts, while you drown your enemies with low tech but incredibly numerous infantry. Like, if you just stopped teching up at around miltech 27/8 and then just did this. Eventually money becomes no object, especially if you are running a world conquest, so I wanted to see if I could come up with new strats.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 21, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You're right, that doesn't work. But I was able to reproduce an earlier theory: if you queue an army to move to Sina while the forts are mothballed, then it'll just disregard the ZOC after the forts are no longer mothballed. So no AI-only fuckery, just the simple fact that the ZOCs along the army's travel route are only being checked when the route is queued, and not as the army moves from province to province.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So the reason why the AI cheats with forts is because when war is declared they begin their movement before the monthly tick starts up the zones from being mothballed? That would explain a lot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Amazing.

“You sure we can just march past this fort? Looks to me like there’s at least a couple hundred guys in there, they’re gonna shoot the hell out of us!”

“The map says it’s empty.”

“Yeah, but there’s a couple hundred guys in t—“

“THE. MAP. SAYS. IT’S. EMPTY.”

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mothballing forts and losing out on that tiny drip drop sweet army tradition trickle... no thanky

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Poil posted:

So the reason why the AI cheats with forts is because when war is declared they begin their movement before the monthly tick starts up the zones from being mothballed? That would explain a lot.

No; sckye's war was already going, he noted that the AI began moving troops before he decided to unmothball his forts. If his forts hadn't been mothballed when war was declared then everything would have worked normally.

The AI isn't cheating, the ZOC just isn't being checked every time that the army arrives in a new province. The bug only works if you try to move past a mothballed fort that later becomes unmothballed. A player could hypothetically take advantage of the same bug

Also, ZOC ticks are in days; the day after you unmothball a fort a ZOC appears.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah. But does the AI declare war on day 1 and moves on day 1 and forts unmothball on day 1 but don't project zones until day 2?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

here's a cool fort trick for fun and profit: if you start a siege of a fort that was mothballed before the next month tick, it will always treat it as an unfortified province (even if they start paying for it (and they will)) and will only take one siege phase to conquer

so always check for mothballed forts before you go to war, start your wars at the beginning of the month, and beeline for mothballed forts if you can make it in 30 days

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-21st-of-november-2017.1056463/

Looks like the next patch is back to the far east. Maybe things will be all fixed this time?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i hope they're giving us the cinematic camera control. let me adjust the pitch. let me rotate. thank you

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I love playing in southeast Asia / Malaya, so I'm stoked.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
How common is it for colonial nations to break away? I don't play much and I'm not very good but I'm playing the Commonwealth and thought it'd be interesting in the end game to get at least some of them independent but you can't support independence because you're too far away. France's big USA analogue colony has been through 2 independence wars but they've been beaten each time - I tried to declare an independent war on France to help them 2nd time when I noticed but they peaced out before I could do anything. Just curious if they pretty much always stay subjects till the end of the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It hardly ever happens, unless it's a really big CN of a small nation with independence supported by a strong nation.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Unless they can get major powers in Europe to assist them or their colonial overlord is very weak to begin with, colonial nations rarely break away. The overlords tend to keep their liberty desire low by developing, so they only lose control on their own if the colonials have a superior army or they have more colonial nations than they can keep up with, and both of those are rare. As Commonwealth, you probably can’t do too much besides keep warring on the French so they’re distracted and under pressure. If you were a major colonial player yourself you’d have a better chance at it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

tombom posted:

How common is it for colonial nations to break away? I don't play much and I'm not very good but I'm playing the Commonwealth and thought it'd be interesting in the end game to get at least some of them independent but you can't support independence because you're too far away. France's big USA analogue colony has been through 2 independence wars but they've been beaten each time - I tried to declare an independent war on France to help them 2nd time when I noticed but they peaced out before I could do anything. Just curious if they pretty much always stay subjects till the end of the game.

USA I only seem to see if I cause it to happen, but Brazil, Mexico, Haiti, and occasionally Columbia seem to pop out all the drat time on their own for me. It's annoying as hell because for some reason every single nation I attack will always decide it's of vital loving importance to ally Brazil and Iceland, thereby making them a giant pain in the rear end to 100%.

Anyway, if you want them to pop out, just destroy/conquer France on your own and they'll usually pull off the independence war on their own eventually, usually with some support from one of France's rivals.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Huh. So after the patch killed my Castile run (no big loss, was almost done), and I failed hard at timurids, I decided to do a Poland run to fool around and try to contain the russian behemoth.

Then I get randomly elected HRE out of the blue in 1499.

What do I do? Add all my provinces to the empire? Take advantage and eat as much of the Empire as I can? This has never happened before! Hell, even when I actively tried to become emperor as Castile it never happened!

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Sephyr posted:

Huh. So after the patch killed my Castile run (no big loss, was almost done), and I failed hard at timurids, I decided to do a Poland run to fool around and try to contain the russian behemoth.

Couldn't you just roll back to a previous patch if you wanted to continue the Castile run?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well yeah you can. But then you miss all the cool new trade goods and provinces and stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I haven’t been keeping track of the changes to it, is Aristocratic a decent pick now or are Defensive/Offensive/Quality still way better?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it still sucks and offensive/quantity/quality are way better

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Aristocratic is a great 5th military ideas pick.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

skasion posted:

I haven’t been keeping track of the changes to it, is Aristocratic a decent pick now or are Defensive/Offensive/Quality still way better?

oddium posted:

it still sucks and offensive/quantity/quality are way better

Yes but it has a little merit now. +1 siege pips as a finisher is good, extra manpower and diplomats never hurt. I would rank it as fourth choice after offensive, defensive and quality, and take it if you don't particularly need extra pips, combat ability or morale (Prussia, Commonwealth or France spring to mind)

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

skasion posted:

Take Aristocratic if you have a surplus of mil points and want to get some not-mil benefits from them. The yearly absolutism and extra diplomat aren't going to completely change the game but they're still helpful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-21st-of-november-2017.1056463/

Looks like the next patch is back to the far east. Maybe things will be all fixed this time?

I can't wait for the Ryukyu flavor expansion.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I hope that they'll expand Taiwan to a few provinces, so we can simulate the fun stuff that happened there between the Portuguese / Dutch / Spanish.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jeoh posted:

I hope that they'll expand Taiwan to a few provinces, so we can simulate the fun stuff that happened there between the Portuguese / Dutch / Spanish.

Isn't it already 3?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So whats the strat for Najd these days? I took over Haasa but they spawned more rebels than my standing army :histdowns:

I'm guessing I vassal the surrounding countries so I can build up a critical mass vassal swarm to start taking out some of the bigger dogs on the peninsula (I.E. Hormuz), and maybe push north into Mesopotamia to grab centers of trade for cash. Ally Mamluks (and other enemies of enemies) and go defensive / offensive mil ideas to beef up the army, and eventually go religious ideas for the CB and to convert everything for the achievement. Make sure to take a province or two early for feudalism so you don't get to far behind in tech costs.

Also I love taking out loans for 5 ducats and then paying all of them back with a bigger loan made later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing I really want them to change is the battle formation algorithms. As it is, there's no way to take advantage of having lots of cavalry without stupid fiddly micromanagement. Let's say you're attacking an army that has a width of 10, and your army has 10 infantry and 10 cavalry. What will happen is that your 10 infantry will line up in front of the enemy's line, four of your cavalry regiments will go on the flanks, and the other six cavalry regiments will do literally nothing. To make matters worse, if you have a 50% inf/cav ration, you'll instantly get the tactics penalty when your infantry take damage. If you actually want your army to fight effectively, you need to split your infantry and cavalry and make sure the cavalry arrive a day before the infantry. It's really dumb and it makes cavalry bonuses a lot less useful than they should be.