Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Sorry but the only bad thing about Immersive Engineering is laying everything out so it's not an enormous mess of wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's probably because so much time with MS2 has mentally broken me, but now that GTNH has stopped crashing long enough for me to tech up a bit, I'm actually enjoying it. I didn't think I'd be that guy, but GTNH has a great quest book with rewards that don't suck to ease you into the tech tree if you're new to Gregtech. I don't quite get why the guy seems to have some kind of severe allergy to shapeless recipes, though. The tech tree is just such a radically different direction for the game I'm enjoying the learning experience. Despite a pretty clear progression for the pack, the book does a good job of pointing you toward miscellaneous paths to start down if you get bored and need something different to do. The sheer size of the tech progression can be mind boggling.

I hear my opinion may be subject to change as I advance into the mid/late game and hit some of the hard time sink walls. We'll see, I guess.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly, having played pretty far into it, my biggest complaint was just the ore distribution. Enormous but sparse ore deposits meant absolute feast or famine balance. Once you find an ore you need you're set almost forever with the size of these deposits, but if you're searching for like, the one metal you don't have, good luck. I installed a noclip/xray pack and blitzed through the world and still spent like an hour trying to find some specific metal to make batteries or whatever.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Serifina posted:

Massive understatement. By default they use 8 rf/T and require only periodic water input to put out moderate paced, massive amounts of output. They crazy powerful. They're balanced against early-game IE, which is a pretty bad idea.

It's also hilarious that you can hook them up with a sink and never have to worry about water again. Cloches are the easiest way to break early Sky Factory 3 and I wish I had known about them sooner. But I tend to forget that IE exists in packs.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I've been tooling around with the new direpubname pack too, but I haven't gotten very far, and I haven't done much with the new Thermal Expansion. However, IIRC there's a machine that can straight up extract sap from trees, and in larger quantities, too. I forget what it's called, though.

Combining the uses of Sap and Resin into one fluid would help solve the balance (although maybe still require too many sap-suckers) - right now though, the renewable tree-sucking machines make Resin, and enriching regular Phytogro into Rich Phytogro requires Sap, and Sap only comes from the Sawmill processing wood blocks into planks.

I don't currently see a way to make a closed-loop automated wood production using only Thermal Expansion. It requires an input of Rich Slag (which I need to process ores to create), or large amounts of Sap which comes from destroying wood (which I'm trying to automate already).

But maybe that's a good thing for balance - if you want infinite wood, be prepared to feed some ores into your system too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Devor posted:

Combining the uses of Sap and Resin into one fluid would help solve the balance (although maybe still require too many sap-suckers) - right now though, the renewable tree-sucking machines make Resin, and enriching regular Phytogro into Rich Phytogro requires Sap, and Sap only comes from the Sawmill processing wood blocks into planks.

According to https://teamcofh.com/docs/arboreal-extractor/ , you can extract sap from Oak and Dark Oak trees using the Arboreal Extractor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, incidentally, KingLemming, nice job on that wiki. Documentation is such a rare thing these days, and even with Thermal Expansion's excellent JEI integration, the wiki is still answering some questions I had. Thanks!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

According to https://teamcofh.com/docs/arboreal-extractor/ , you can extract sap from Oak and Dark Oak trees using the Arboreal Extractor.

Awesome! I didn't realize that different trees would make different things from that, and arboreal extractors production recipes aren't explicitly in the in-game JEI.

I am gonna automate the hell out of some Fluxed Phyto-gro

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Is there a mod that adds just "magnet" mode for items, like what NEI had? It's probably the one thing I miss most about older minecraft.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, incidentally, KingLemming, nice job on that wiki. Documentation is such a rare thing these days, and even with Thermal Expansion's excellent JEI integration, the wiki is still answering some questions I had. Thanks!

I know we all love KingLemming around here, but it is absolutely true that CofH and the Thermal mods are absolutely critical to Minecraft modding.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TwystNeko posted:

Is there a mod that adds just "magnet" mode for items, like what NEI had? It's probably the one thing I miss most about older minecraft.

Actually Additions and Botania both have magnet items.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

TwystNeko posted:

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/simple-magnet

I'm partial to Botania's magnet ring, since it's fairly easy to get, doesn't cost anything to operate, and is clever with drops/sneaking. There's also Actually Additions' magnet ring, but it needs to be charged.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Didn't Ender IO or Extra Utilities have a magnet at some point, too?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
GTNH is my favorite modpack ever because I am a crazy person. To anyone trying it, do yourself a favor and cheat the best version of the prospector's scanner. It shows you every ore cluster in something like a 17x17 chunk grid. Looking for the thirty different types of randomly spawned vein types is the single worst part of the gameplay, and if you give yourself that scanner you can get on with the excellent and stupidly long progression path.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

TwystNeko posted:

EnderIO has a magnet that goes into your bauble slot.

It does require RF tho, and while it's not a massive power drain the power requirement might be something you want to consider.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There was a modpack I found a year or so ago built around nature and exploration. It had a bunch of harvest stuff and came with Sildur's shaders. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Life in the Woods?

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, oftentimes comedy falls flat when you're really, really down. While not something on Steam(of course), in regards to that, when I went through some...bad poo poo, I had just installed the Minecraft: Life In The Woods modpack. It adds thousands of new items, recipes, foods, buffs, animals and monsters, and over a hundred new biomes to the game, as well as more robust villages and villagers with quests and poo poo. It is absolutely less about building absurd machines to automate everything, and more about exploring, farming, and building. If you have a good PC, it also has an optional shader pack that adds dynamic lighting, shadows, water, etc and makes the game look just really great. I put hundreds of hours into it, it really helped me out during a particularly rough time.

The modmaker created a launcher and such that basically does all the modding work for you, which is REALLY HELPFUL. http://www.lifeinthewoods.ca/

There's also Renaissance, a newer version of LITW that changes a ton of stuff, I think I prefer the original but it's up to you.
trailers for the original and Renaissance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8kOt2T1HM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXgt_k6v4c

And some screenshots I took

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yes! Thank you! It's the only time I've ever really liked Minecraft. That pack just works for me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I went back to SF3 after a bit playing around with direwolf's new pack/lp series (oh man I never knew Thermal Dynamics was so easy), and I need some more advice on things.

First: my mob grinder collector:

Is there a way to filter out the bows or just destroy them?

Second, still trying to get my auto-hammer-sieve setup working even remotely efficiently.

Lava isn't going into the closest generator. If I can set up some more crucibles, will that increase the lava flow into more generators? I've seen people setting up rows of crucibles so I assume that's the case.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a way to filter out the bows or just destroy them?

Most item insertion methods will let you set a blacklist that ignores damage and/or NBT data. Additionally, make a drawer key to lock the drawers, so empty spaces don't get filled with whatever random trash happens by.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Most item insertion methods will let you set a blacklist that ignores damage and/or NBT data. Additionally, make a drawer key to lock the drawers, so empty spaces don't get filled with whatever random trash happens by.

My insertion method is a XU2 item transfer node.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

My insertion method is a XU2 item transfer node.

Make an XU2 filter then? Also, sounds slow as hell.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I honestly don't know if it's "slow" or not. It seems to be grabbing things pretty well from a chest and putting them into the drawer controller.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Evil Mastermind posted:

Second, still trying to get my auto-hammer-sieve setup working even remotely efficiently.

Lava isn't going into the closest generator. If I can set up some more crucibles, will that increase the lava flow into more generators? I've seen people setting up rows of crucibles so I assume that's the case.

Yeah, crucibles are fairly slow but infinately scalable. Make 2 rows of crucibles with your extraction pipe down the middle, and extend it as you need more lava.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, cool, thought so. I'm not so much worrying about efficiency as getting a steady stream of redstone and diamonds without spending a bunch of time doing it by hand. Then I guess I can move on to the farming/mystic agriculture/chickens stuff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, cool, thought so. I'm not so much worrying about efficiency as getting a steady stream of redstone and diamonds without spending a bunch of time doing it by hand. Then I guess I can move on to the farming/mystic agriculture/chickens stuff.

I don't know if you have big reactors in that pack, but if you do you can sift Sand. You can make Yellorium Blocks out of the Yellorium Dust, putting the block under a crucible melts cobblestone 50X faster than lava.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Anyone have any hints on how to get Simple Life 2 working without continual lag and freezing? I have a pretty beefy machine, and haven't had this problem with any other modern game, or mod pack.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

yegods posted:

Anyone have any hints on how to get Simple Life 2 working without continual lag and freezing? I have a pretty beefy machine, and haven't had this problem with any other modern game, or mod pack.

Make sure Mipmaps are off.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Black Pants posted:

It doesn't really feel like a graphics problem, but I tried it anyways, and it made no difference. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

And i think i bumped my ram up to 6gig before it became playable.

Seems to be a new thing where packs need 6gig even though i hear its inefficient?

I havent been playing much at all recently. After about 10 minutes of any MC my pc shuts down :(
I have now got a totally new one that i need to put win10 onto. But i hate win10....

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Has to do with changes that happened to base MC from 1.10 onward, but yeah. Pretty much all 1.10+ modpacks need 5-6 gigs of RAM. The big ones will use even more than that if you let them.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I would think hosting the server on a separate computer would massively help with playing minecraft as well, but that would require another decent computer.

What the gently caress happened to my stupid baby avatar?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toadsmash posted:

Has to do with changes that happened to base MC from 1.10 onward, but yeah. Pretty much all 1.10+ modpacks need 5-6 gigs of RAM. The big ones will use even more than that if you let them.

No wonder all the packs I tried newer than 1.7.10 ran like poo poo. I give everything 4gigs of RAM and I assumed that was enough for anything! How the hell has Minecraft modding become so bloated? There are no HD textures here this is Minecraft, what is taking up all that RAM?! :psyduck:

1.7.10, the best version.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Rutibex circa 2019 posted:

No wonder all the packs I tried newer than 1.12 ran like poo poo. I give everything 6 gigs of RAM and I assumed that was enough for anything! How the hell has Minecraft modding become so bloated? There are no HD textures here this is Minecraft, what is taking up all that RAM?! :psyduck:

1.12, the best version.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

just download more ram you scrubs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can only assume when they bought the company Microsoft instructed Mojang to incrementally make the JAVA version of Mincraft shittier over time, until it is a bloated mess when you want to run mods. This would be to encourage sales of Microsofts new Minecraft 2, written in C++ with many of the features of modded Minecraft built in as default.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I can only assume when they bought the company Microsoft instructed Mojang to incrementally make the JAVA version of Mincraft shittier over time, until it is a bloated mess when you want to run mods. This would be to encourage sales of Microsofts new Minecraft 2, written in C++ with many of the features of modded Minecraft built in as default.

Yeah it really has nothing at all to do with lots of mods being written and maintained by people with about as much passing Java knowledge as Notch

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I play the Simple Life 2 with 4 gigs, but adding foamfix anarchy was the biggest thing that made it playable for me.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

SugarAddict posted:

I would think hosting the server on a separate computer would massively help with playing minecraft as well, but that would require another decent computer.

What the gently caress happened to my stupid baby avatar?

That’s the new baby avatar. Enjoy your demented mango.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I don't know if you have big reactors in that pack, but if you do you can sift Sand. You can make Yellorium Blocks out of the Yellorium Dust, putting the block under a crucible melts cobblestone 50X faster than lava.

Doesn't work in skyfactory 3. Best option is Firewater, which you can get by pumping water into a barrel on a lava block (made with 4 magma creams - not the fluid block!)