Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I reached 100 in every skill in New Vegas, it's a good game but the character system is badly thought out garbage (Not really Obsidian's fault, the Fallout character system was always bad and FO3 made it even worse)

Yeah, the systems in the newer Fallout games (3, NV, 4) are all kind of meh. You start out and struggle a little, then get some massively OP perks (or equivalent) and just steamroll the rest of the game via your method of choice. The survival modes do help with that, since you have to diversify a bit to be effective. Seeing your build wreck face sooner rather than later is a thing a lot of people like, and given how long your average person plays a game for (seriously, look at the achievements for most games) it's probably the better way to balance it for the average person. Either way, Fallout games are always worth playing to do the exploring and collect the bobbleheads and such though.

I like the systems in Fallout 1 & 2, partially because you can't ever really overlevel and be a master jack of all trades. You only really get so much XP and can only put it so many places, at least over the course of a normal game. I think this also has to do with the fact that they have a somewhat (arguably) linear path of main story & side quests and relatively difficult skill checks; if you're not focusing hard on a specific skillset when that becomes relevant you're not going to be able to use that strategy. The multiple ways to play the game mean you can do all sorts of crazy builds, but you'll never be expert at everything. That said, it is a little complex and unforgiving.

I suppose what I'm saying is there is a good reason for level caps in RPG style games. It's the same reason you loved the cheat codes as a little kid but rarely use them now; being OP is fun for a little while but you'll lose interest quickly after since there's no real challenge to it after. Leave that to the easy/narrative modes, which are valid for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

It's funny you bring up Diablo because even Blizzard realized that having to build a new character from scratch because you "built it wrong" was loving retarded.

Right but diablo 3 ended up being pretty bad and path of exile is pretty good so.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

SkeletonHero posted:

No, but considering that (spoilers for end of TNO/beginning of TNC) a single hand grenade fucks him up to the point of turning him paraplegic even after getting top-notch medical attention it probably is running on the D&D/Uncharted rule where the only real hit point is the last one and the rest is just BJ's luck/will to fight.

Alternatively, somebody in the Wolfenstein thread did the math and a fully-armored BJ is a lot tougher than the best tanks deployed in the real WWII.

e: adding another Wolfenstein little thing, this time from Old Blood. BJ can interact with a skull at one point, during which he recites Shakespeare to himself, drops it, apologizes to nobody in particular, and awkwardly places it back where he found it. It is the most realistic scene in the series, perhaps in all of gaming.

Yeah, I was under that assumption too but then the final scene in TNC happened like, your creeping up on Frau Engel with just your hatchet. No armor, no guns, nothing. And then she takes one (maybe two) point blank shots at you before you bury your hatchet in her face. I mean, i guess she could have missed but even shrugging off one bullet is typically a no-no in cutscenes

Lechtansi has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Nov 21, 2017

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Lechtansi posted:

Yeah, I was under that assumption too but then the final scene in TNC happened like, your creeping up on Frau Engel with just your hatchet. No armor, no guns, nothing. And then she takes one (maybe two) point blank shots at you before you bury your hatchet in her face. I mean, i guess she could have missed but even shrugging off one bullet is typically a no-no in cutscenes

Don't forget that by this time he has a superhuman body designed by the Nazi's using Dat Tech, stolen from the Nazis for BJ.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lechtansi posted:

Isn't BJ at that point a decapitated head on a super soldier nazi soldier body, how is two piddly gun shots going to hurt him

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

Let’s keep posting our favorite little things in games until people stop complaining about stuff. In Crypt of the Necrodancer: Amplified the way that ice works has been changed. Ice is a terrain that causes you to go uncontrollably sliding across it until you slide off of it. Before Amplified, stepping on ice caused you to immediately lose your combo. Now you can keep it if you don’t press anything while you’re sliding and get right back into it as soon as you slide off the ice.
poo poo, I didn't notice this. That kicks rear end.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Trainmonk posted:

Right but diablo 3 ended up being pretty bad and path of exile is pretty good so.

Diablo 3 was quite successful and good? (after loot 2.0 and the leveling fixes (and also putting aside that I no longer play it because I'm bored of it))

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I feel like I've been Malibu Stacy'd by Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, it's the same game as always but this time with a grappling hook!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Trainmonk posted:

Original D3 was bad because the loot was really goddamn boring in a game based around loot, not because you could respec your character on the fly.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Original D3 was bad because the loot was really goddamn boring in a game based around loot, not because you could respec your character on the fly.

Not saying it's bad because you can respec, it's just a game full of problems and not really a good game to use as an example of design done right. If you were going to hold something as a standard of excellence in click games, you'd probably be better off with like grim dawn or something.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BJ is invincible because Ravens weird 2008 Wolfenstein is still canon and he got superpowers in that one

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ariong posted:

shuuuuuuut uuuupppp everyone go post in the other thread this one is about the opposite of this!

Let’s keep posting our favorite little things in games until people stop complaining about stuff. In Crypt of the Necrodancer: Amplified the way that ice works has been changed. Ice is a terrain that causes you to go uncontrollably sliding across it until you slide off of it. Before Amplified, stepping on ice caused you to immediately lose your combo. Now you can keep it if you don’t press anything while you’re sliding and get right back into it as soon as you slide off the ice.

Being able to incorporate the ice into your movement instead of goving it a wide berth makes Zone 3 a lot more interesting to navigate, even though ice is still an obstacle at the end of the day.

This is 100% how ice has always worked.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Samuringa posted:

I feel like I've been Malibu Stacy'd by Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, it's the same game as always but this time with a grappling hook!

I mean yeah its still assassin's creed and if you didnt like any of the others you wont like this one. But unity was such a poo poo show it looks great by comparison, and the Frye siblings are actually pretty likeable.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean yeah its still assassin's creed and if you didnt like any of the others you wont like this one. But unity was such a poo poo show it looks great by comparison, and the Frye siblings are actually pretty likeable.

I found myself 30 hours into that game before I realized I couldn't figure out why I liked it so much. The storyline was fairly meh, the parkouring is the same as always, london wasn't especially exciting. But I finished it. My desire to complete all the missions though vanished as soon as I beat the game, so maybe I was just hoping for some story closure? I dunno.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Frush posted:

Yeah, the systems in the newer Fallout games (3, NV, 4) are all kind of meh. You start out and struggle a little, then get some massively OP perks (or equivalent) and just steamroll the rest of the game via your method of choice. The survival modes do help with that, since you have to diversify a bit to be effective. Seeing your build wreck face sooner rather than later is a thing a lot of people like, and given how long your average person plays a game for (seriously, look at the achievements for most games) it's probably the better way to balance it for the average person. Either way, Fallout games are always worth playing to do the exploring and collect the bobbleheads and such though.

I like the systems in Fallout 1 & 2, partially because you can't ever really overlevel and be a master jack of all trades. You only really get so much XP and can only put it so many places, at least over the course of a normal game. I think this also has to do with the fact that they have a somewhat (arguably) linear path of main story & side quests and relatively difficult skill checks; if you're not focusing hard on a specific skillset when that becomes relevant you're not going to be able to use that strategy. The multiple ways to play the game mean you can do all sorts of crazy builds, but you'll never be expert at everything. That said, it is a little complex and unforgiving.

I suppose what I'm saying is there is a good reason for level caps in RPG style games. It's the same reason you loved the cheat codes as a little kid but rarely use them now; being OP is fun for a little while but you'll lose interest quickly after since there's no real challenge to it after. Leave that to the easy/narrative modes, which are valid for some people.

Fallout 1 & 2 are definitely poo poo by today's standard. I mean there are game breaking bugs present to this day [GOG version] unless you mod it. But here's what they still do that the 3D fallouts don't: The player isn't the priority. Like if you max out traps in F1&2 it won't mean you'll by proxy be some kind of supergod in explosives. No it just means you can disarm traps. It's pen and paper rules applied to a specific setting and written down. You have plenty of choices its just some are not really as viable as others. That's how you can get good at the game by not making the numbers go up, but deciding the most effective/interesting way of doing that.

Go ahead and try luck 10 / jinxed character in F1&2. It's a terrible slog where your cripple abuses quicksaves so they can just watch a whole gang of raiders shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly until they bleed out. It's super fun the first few fights but watching yourself accidentally burst fire your party member's extremities off due to them standing withing 180 radius of your gun, gets old. With the 3D fallouts you're supposed to make whatever choice and it still being interesting and viable. That's a poo poo long order but whatever you're trying to do it's probably been accounted for. Means less fun.

In conclusion Path of Exile is probably a lovely game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

On replaying the Ezio games I immediately missed the zip line from Syndicate. At least climbing in Origins is relatively painless.

Favourite little thing from Assassin's Creed Origins: I love the fact that side missions are a lot more varied and now have their own mini stories, Witcher 3 style (which admittedly it steals a lot of elements from).
The combat finishers are also wonderfully brutal.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

The post about ice breaking your streak confused me because I could swear it never did if you played right, thank you for confirming.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The good news is it means that person is probably getting better at the game if they can do it with regularity enough to notice now :)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

path of exile looks like crap

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Frush posted:

I tried to do a run in fallout 2 where I would grind on random encounters until I leveled enough to get a new perk every time I got to a new settlement. It was the least fun I ever had playing that game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You could easily break the gently caress out of fallout 2 and to a lesser extent 1 if you knew what you were doing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Slime posted:

The post about ice breaking your streak confused me because I could swear it never did if you played right, thank you for confirming.

Huh, that's odd. I've been playing this game for years. To be fair, there is literally no other situation in which you have to not press a button on the beat except the King Conga boss fight, and there is is made very clear what you have to do.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Wasn't the power armor actually super close to the starting point if you knew where you were going and could avoid all the high level monsters on the way?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really like the dynamic music in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, basically the bosses have their own music and when you do certain moves or get to certain points the music changes in certain ways and it's super fun even if the music is super dorky and cheesy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

EmmyOk posted:

I really like the dynamic music in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, basically the bosses have their own music and when you do certain moves or get to certain points the music changes in certain ways and it's super fun even if the music is super dorky and cheesy.

It has to be this way.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

nael posted:

Wasn't the power armor actually super close to the starting point if you knew where you were going and could avoid all the high level monsters on the way?

You had to savescum around navarro because there is just no way to survive an enclave patrol, but yeah, you could be level 1 with high end gear if you knew where to go.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Simply Simon posted:

It has to be this way.

Also, it inverts for the Jetstream Sam boss fight, instead of the music playing lyrics when things kick up a notch he starts with the lyrics playing and they stop if you knock his sword away - however this actually makes him harder to fight due to his CQC moves being much harder to predict.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BioEnchanted posted:

Also, it inverts for the Jetstream Sam boss fight, instead of the music playing lyrics when things kick up a notch he starts with the lyrics playing and they stop if you knock his sword away - however this actually makes him harder to fight due to his CQC moves being much harder to predict.

Also with the last boss when Raiden loses the sword

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I took the plunge with path of exile. I figure I'll see how far I get just by splitting upgrade points between defense and stuff that helps the attack skill I went with. To what extent will respec points save my rear end when things go wrong?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There is a currency that can give you respec points and you get ~12 or something free in the campaign. The currency isn't the most common currency at all, so it's relatively expensive to buy, so if you have to respec heavily you're going to be in trouble but they give you enough points that you can fix little errors you make along the way.

If money was no object you could completely respec the tree but that will break the bank pretty quickly since each point of currency is only worth 1 skill point and there is something like 117 points possible.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Agent355 posted:

There is a currency that can give you respec points and you get ~12 or something free in the campaign. The currency isn't the most common currency at all, so it's relatively expensive to buy, so if you have to respec heavily you're going to be in trouble but they give you enough points that you can fix little errors you make along the way.

If money was no object you could completely respec the tree but that will break the bank pretty quickly since each point of currency is only worth 1 skill point and there is something like 117 points possible.

Agent, youre a cool dude, but i think its best if we all let this go.

That reminds me, the way the rooms are laid out in La Mulana is so loving cool and confusing at the same time.

e: oh god, you were responding to a normal post. anyone trying poe, go poke your head in the thread in games, and join the guild for a shitload of help(sometimes too much help)

funmanguy has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Nov 22, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

funmanguy posted:

Agent, youre a cool dude, but i think its best if we all let this go.

That reminds me, the way the rooms are laid out in La Mulana is so loving cool and confusing at the same time.

e: oh god, you were responding to a normal post. anyone trying poe, go poke your head in the thread in games, and join the guild for a shitload of help(sometimes too much help)

:colbert:

La mulana is cool and good tho.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agent355 posted:

Counterpoint: it is neither of those things

:goonsay:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

EmmyOk posted:

Additionally the lyrics actually do relate to the characters and give the bosses characterisation. It's such a neat thing going on for it and I wish more action games would do something like it also.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If there's anything that could be said about the boss tracks in MGR:R it's that they put the best one first.

RULES OF NATUUUUUUURE

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Agent355 posted:

it may not have come through well, but i agree. except the hell levels.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Superflight is amazing fun. You're a little wingsuit guy who glides around randomly generated, craggy lanscapes. The goal is to fly as fast as possible and as close to tight spots as possible to get a higher score - a similar schema to Sleeping Dogs, if you're familiar, how you'd get bonus points or money or something for prolonged dangerous driving.

The little things I like I suppose are how ridiculously addictive it is, and that is $3 American. Can't beat that, go buy it.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Vic posted:

Fallout 1 & 2 are definitely poo poo by today's standard. I mean there are game breaking bugs present to this day [GOG version] unless you mod it. But here's what they still do that the 3D fallouts don't: The player isn't the priority. Like if you max out traps in F1&2 it won't mean you'll by proxy be some kind of supergod in explosives. No it just means you can disarm traps. It's pen and paper rules applied to a specific setting and written down. You have plenty of choices its just some are not really as viable as others. That's how you can get good at the game by not making the numbers go up, but deciding the most effective/interesting way of doing that.

Go ahead and try luck 10 / jinxed character in F1&2. It's a terrible slog where your cripple abuses quicksaves so they can just watch a whole gang of raiders shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly until they bleed out. It's super fun the first few fights but watching yourself accidentally burst fire your party member's extremities off due to them standing withing 180 radius of your gun, gets old. With the 3D fallouts you're supposed to make whatever choice and it still being interesting and viable. That's a poo poo long order but whatever you're trying to do it's probably been accounted for. Means less fun.

Oh I wouldn't say they're that bad, but I absolutely agree that by modern standards they're a mess. I think overall we're making a similar point; the older games forces you to specialize more. True you can gimp yourself a bit, or allow weird gimmick runs (remember the 3 INT stuff?), but even in endgame you're not going to master science, repair, energy weapons, melee weapons, speech and more all at once (unless you're masochistic like nael I guess). It just keeps the RP in RPG a bit more effectively than 'modern' Fallout games. And bulldozering anything and everything gets kind of boring eventually.

nael posted:

I tried to do a run in fallout 2 where I would grind on random encounters until I leveled enough to get a new perk every time I got to a new settlement. It was the least fun I ever had playing that game.

Why would you do that to yourself?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Jinxed 10 luck runs in fallout sync perfectly with an unarmed character. Bonus points for int 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love that Rules of Nature is a song about animals that can't hack it anymore going extinct, as your fighting a once-fearsome robot that has become so outdated that no-one uses it anymore (except for terrorist organisations, because they're cheap robots now.) The Metal Gear Rex is a dinosaur that has no place on the battlefield anymore and should just give up.