Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

#58 The Shop Around the Corner - Hopefully it's funny. 7/15/17

The only one of yours I've seen. Cheers!

Sophie's Choice
With a narrative such as a woman surviving the Holocaust, it's going to immediately be a film I respect moreso than enjoy. But it was great to see that for all the times I've heard the film being her 'Choice' and little else - there's a 2.5hr film to watch! Kevin Kline is great as the manic Nathan Landau, and saviour to Sophie (Meryl Streep) as she looks to distance herself from her past as much as possible. The film's audience surrogate is Stingo (Peter MacNicol) who, as a writer in 1947 Brooklyn, moves in with the couple and watches all the highs and lows unfold before him. The tough watch happens as we see the horrors Sophie experienced, and certainly an Oscar well deserved for Streep who by little tweaks in her speech and body language, transforms into this suffering Polish woman filled with torment. It's a film I'm glad I watched once.

LIST

Avanti! [1972 - 140mins] - (2017.06.07) - keeping a Jack Lemmon film on here with another Billy Wilder collaboration. (Jack Lemmon)

The Big City [1963 - 122mins] - (2017.08.24) - I loved the Apu Trilogy & Charulata.... This is the obvious next film from Satyajit Ray to see. (Criterion)

Born on the Fourth of July [1989 - 145mins] - **NEW** (2017.10.14) - another lengthy 80s film I've held off, but a fantastic Filmspotting Cruise retrospective makes this shameful. (unwatched DVD)

Cactus Flower [1969 - 103mins] - (2017.04.28) - my Walter Matthau choice, and with Ingrid Bergman! (Walter Matthau)

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte [1964 - 133mins] - (2017.04.09) - replacing an early Bette Davis film with a later one - EDIT: and Olivia De Havilland just turned 101! (Bette Davis / Horror pick)

Life Itself [2014 - 120mins] - (2017.09.30) - gonna make a spot for documentaries.. so why haven't I watched this yet, again? (documentary)

My Darling Clementine [1946 - 97mins] - (2017.09.02) - Westerns still aren't a top priority, even after loving just about every one I watch. (western)

Only Yesterday [1991 - 118 mins] - (2017.10.05) - recently re-released and I've enjoyed 'Princess Kaguya from Isao Takahata (animated)

Ordet [1955 - 126mins] - (2017.07.16) - a Trilogy I've long been wanting to dive into. (blind-boxsets)

Watchmen [2009 - 162mins] - **OLDEST** (2017.04.07) - the comic & the film, as I wanted to read the comic before the film since back in '09! (unwatched Bluray)

*Note - Watchmen has already been selected, just finishing up the comic first before watching [I really do need to get around to finishing this!]*

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), [Total:175]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

Ordet [1955 - 126mins] - (2017.07.16) - a Trilogy I've long been wanting to dive into. (blind-boxsets)

The Word.

The Shop Around the Corner - It's always good when a DVD or BD uses yellow subtitles.

This one touches on how people carry a lot of inner thoughts that don't always correspond to their outer displays (focusing on interpersonal relationships). That famous song by Rupert Holmes Escape (The Piña Colada Song) comes to mind.

It's a versatile comedy as it weaves in and out of awkward moments and misdirections. Hugo Matuschek is the familiar dictatorial boss who simultaneously screams at employees and treats customers like an angel. It displays a lot more tension for a comedy than I expected with its references to job loss, infidelity and suicide. Another surprise was in the supporting actors being the most comedic of the bunch. Particularly, William Tracy as Pepi Katona. The dandy named Ferencz Vadas also stood out.

I haven't even delved into the main brunt of the story and I'll just leave it that way as its better to go in blind.

James Bond versus Godzilla (25/64 completed):

Godzilla vs. Gigan - Godzilla XII. Kind of interested to see this one as I've heard very little about it. Only twenty or so to go. 7/27/17

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest American Films (97/100 completed):

#70 The Band Wagon - A musical comedy. 8/22/17

#72 The Shanghai Gesture - I've never seen a Josef von Sternberg film. :doh: 8/14/17

#98 Heaven’s Gate - I've seen Days of Heaven and Gates of Heaven but not this one. 6/27/17

Esquire's 75 Movies Every Man Should See (58/74 completed):

#2 Slap Shot - Paul Newman plays hockey. 10/9/17

#34 Shakes the Clown - Bobcat Goldthwait writes, directs and stars in this one. 9/19/17

#36 Straw Dogs (1971) - I've heard good things. 10/9/17

#40 Fatal Attraction - Something about rabbits. 10/1/17

#53 The Verdict - Paul Newman goes to court. 10/9/17

new #66 Run Silent, Run Deep - Supposedly a premier submarine film. 10/20/17

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Zogo posted:

#36 Straw Dogs (1971) - I've heard good things. 10/9/17

I watched this for the first time when I was 12. That was probably too young.

Finally watched John Carpenter's The Fog and while I wouldn't rank it near the top of his work, I have to say I was into it. Maybe it's because it was a dark and stormy night when I popped it in, but the atmosphere (ha ha) was palpable. It's silly, but I think it has many of Carpenter's tense trademarks and it's easy, for me, to overlook some of the hokeyness. This is especially helped by the opening campfire where an old man tells a group of kids a ghost story setting the whole narrative up. I like that it takes its time, and is more about the town's shady history than anything. Could the characters have been more fleshed out? Probably, but I appreciate what we got, too. The Fog drops you into this place and these people's lives right before poo poo hits the fan, and we're left with a lean, no filler horror movie.

I can only imagine how bad the remake was.

If I were to rank the Carpenter movies I've seen, I'd do it thusly

1) The Thing
2) Big Trouble in Little China
3) Halloween
4) In the Mouth of Madness
5) They Live
6) Prince of Darkness
7) Escape From New York
8) The Fog
9) Assault on Precinct 13
10) Vampires
11) Christine (desperately want to re-watch)
12) Escape From L.A.
13) Memoirs of an Invisible Man
14) The Ward

I'd probably put his Masters of Horror segment Cigarette Burns between NY and The Fog. Didn't see the other one. At any rate, he's one of my favourites.

Still need to see Starman, Dark Star, Village of the Damned (I guess), Ghosts of Mars (or, do I?)

LIST O SHAME

1) Walkabout - One of the first Criterion DVD spine numbers and a hell of a great cover.

2) The White Ribbon - It's taken me a long time to get into Haneke, but I want to keep going.

3) Paprika - Anime from the creator of Perfect Blue, which I was a fan of. Figured I should see another.

4) The Exterminating Angel - I've barely dipped my toe into Bunuel's filmography.

5) A Touch of Zen - It's so long, but apparently an absolute must-watch according to a friend of mine.

6) Harvey - Always thought this looked super hokey...but I like Jimmy Stewart and this is generally beloved, but I need a push.

7) Topsy Turvy - Ahhh Mike Leigh, looks less downtrodden than some of his work, but I'm still generally a novice with him.

8) Joint Security Area - I've seen, and loved, most of Park Chan-wook's movies, but haven't seen this one.

9) All That Jazz - Bob Fosse is a blind spot.

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE (PART DEUX): Top Secret!, Yi Yi, New York New York, Rio Bravo, Dogtooth, Song of the Sea, The Fog (Total: 7)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

5) A Touch of Zen - It's so long, but apparently an absolute must-watch according to a friend of mine.
Your friend is right

The Exorcist (Director's Cut) - I can understand the criticism that it's maybe a bit shallow and mostly an excuse to put a bunch of shocking images on screen, and if there's something it's saying about religion that bit missed me. But that imagery worked for me and the performances were great. Not especially shocking at this point but still unsettling, I found it more sad and hopeless than scary. 4/5

List:

Moonlight - hearing Barry Jenkins talk about Wong Kar Wai made me really want to see this in the theater, yet I never got around to it.

Early Summer - watched Late Spring earlier this year and really need to catch up on Ozu

Ran - it's been a while since I've watched any Kurosawa, need to finish off the big ones

Yi Yi - I've realized Edward Yang is the best, and this is his most well-known. I think it is also the only Chinese-language film in the Criterion Collection (a depressingly short list) I haven't seen

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - been watching a lot of Taiwanese films lately, I should probably check out Tsai Ming-liang. Also it's probably not too relevant, but I loved Dragon Inn

Faces - i bought the Criterion Cassavetes set because i loved A Woman Under the Influence, but haven't watched any of the others yet

Rio Bravo - know the song, never saw the film

Cleo from 5 to 7 - haven't seen any yet from Agnes Varda

North by Northwest - more Hitchcock

The Blair Witch Project - horror. I remember the marketing and circus surrounding it from back when it came out, but never watched it

Completed(15): A Nightmare on Elm Street [4/5], Vertigo [5/5], Repulsion [4/5], Last Year at Marienbad [5/5], Blade Runner[4/5], Akira [5/5], Rear Window [5/5], A Brighter Summer Day [5/5], Rosemary's Baby [5/5], Close Encounters of the Third Kind [4/5], The Godfather Part 2 [5/5], Citizen Kane [5/5], Godzilla [5/5], Psycho [5/5], The Exorcist [4/5]
letterboxd

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FancyMike posted:

The Blair Witch Project - horror. I remember the marketing and circus surrounding it from back when it came out, but never watched it

Only choosing this because we're coming up on Halloween... cheers!

Ordet (The Word)
Having liked Vampyr & Passion of Joan of Arc, it feels ridiculous to say Ordet disappointed me. Two farming families with different religious views, a Borgen family's son wanting to marry the other's daughter, an Atheist Borgen son Mikkel with a very pregnant wife Inger, and another young Borgen Johannes thinking he's Jesus Christ himself having gone mad. All this going on and it couldn't have felt more stagey in all the wrong ways - very stilted and glacially paced. It didn't help that all the actors kept facing the camera making things very inauthentic - though the infamous rotating shot of Johannes and his niece Maren is truly spectacular. All in all, and as great and monumental as those final moments were, it was a film I could not get into. I'll have to give this a rewatch down the line.

LIST

Avanti! [1972 - 140mins] - (2017.06.07) - keeping a Jack Lemmon film on here with another Billy Wilder collaboration. (Jack Lemmon)

The Big City [1963 - 122mins] - (2017.08.24) - I loved the Apu Trilogy & Charulata.... This is the obvious next film from Satyajit Ray to see. (Criterion)

Born on the Fourth of July [1989 - 145mins] - **NEW** (2017.10.14) - another lengthy 80s film I've held off, but a fantastic Filmspotting Cruise retrospective makes this shameful. (unwatched DVD)

Cactus Flower [1969 - 103mins] - (2017.04.28) - my Walter Matthau choice, and with Ingrid Bergman! (Walter Matthau)

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte [1964 - 133mins] - (2017.04.09) - replacing an early Bette Davis film with a later one - EDIT: and Olivia De Havilland just turned 101! (Bette Davis / Horror pick)

Life Itself [2014 - 120mins] - (2017.09.30) - gonna make a spot for documentaries.. so why haven't I watched this yet, again? (documentary)

My Darling Clementine [1946 - 97mins] - (2017.09.02) - Westerns still aren't a top priority, even after loving just about every one I watch. (western)

Only Yesterday [1991 - 118 mins] - (2017.10.05) - recently re-released and I've enjoyed 'Princess Kaguya from Isao Takahata (animated)

Watchmen [2009 - 162mins] - **OLDEST** (2017.04.07) - the comic & the film, as I wanted to read the comic before the film since back in '09! (unwatched Bluray)

The Young Girls of Rochefort [1967 - 124mins] - **NEW** (2017.10.25) - I've only watched 'Cherbourg from the Demy boxset.. time to change that. (blind boxsets)

*Note - Watchmen has already been selected, just finishing up the comic first before watching [I really do need to get around to finishing this!]*

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), [Total:176]

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

I watched this for the first time when I was 12. That was probably too young.

That must've been a memorable experience.

friendo55 posted:

Platoon Part II.

Straw Dogs - Like many, many films from the era this one takes a little time before revealing itself fully. Just some ominous foreshadowing at first.

Dustin Hoffman plays a man who's passive in dealing with threats. The main issue being a gaggle of slimy Englishmen who prey upon his wife (and later his castle). These lecherous hypocrites nearly take hooliganism and predation to their limits to say the least. After his wife is raped the civilized, passive beta man metamorphosizes into a wild animal and a long siege in a stone house commences. A microcosm of :911: vs. :britain:.

Rarely will a film have a scene as harrowing as the extended rape segment in this one. It goes on for a decent amount of time and then when it seems over another boorish garage worker appears with a shotgun for his turn. It shares some commonalities with films like Deliverance, The River Wild and The Last House on the Left (1972) but it may surpass all of them in its explicitness at least. It's been a long while since I've seen the 1972 film.

Practical applications: Lock your doors and windows and don't let ruffians murder your pets. Also, guzzling down booze nearby firearms isn't a good idea.

Spoilers: Now this is a shotgun blast!: https://youtu.be/k6AHmkIpjwM?t=1h34m5s

Ultimately it's a brutal film that pulls no punches and leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Particularly regarding the pedophile/murderer who comes across as an unethical and unheroic Boo Radley.

new Octopussy - Something about jewels. 10/28/17

Godzilla vs. Gigan - Godzilla XII. Kind of interested to see this one as I've heard very little about it. Only twenty or so to go. 7/27/17

#72 The Shanghai Gesture - I've never seen a Josef von Sternberg film. :doh: 8/14/17

#98 Heaven’s Gate - I've seen Days of Heaven and Gates of Heaven but not this one. 6/27/17

Esquire's 75 Movies Every Man Should See (59/74 completed):

#34 Shakes the Clown - Bobcat Goldthwait writes, directs and stars in this one. 9/19/17

#53 The Verdict - Paul Newman goes to court. 10/9/17

#66 Run Silent, Run Deep - Supposedly a premier submarine film. 10/20/17

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 28, 2017

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Zogo, random.org is telling you to watch Shakes the Clown.

Crossposting from the October Horror Movie Challenge thread:

Trash Boat posted:

The Exorcist: I would be remiss if I participated in this thread and didn't use it as an excuse to knock-off this longstanding pick for me from the Shameful thread, and it seemed like a suitable enough movie for number 31. Knowing a chunk of the more iconic setpiece moments going in, I was worried it might be completely dialed up to 11 for a lot of it, but it was actually a much slower burn than I had anticipated, much of the film paced and acted more as a drama than a horror. On that front, I do feel that the film is generally stronger in it's quieter moments where the gravitas of Reagan's situation is gradually built up and nobody (including Reagan) is quite sure what exactly is going on, than it is in it's more over the top moments where the demon inside has taken full control and is shouting/performing obscenities and unnaturally contorting Reagan's body (not to say that I think the latter is necessarily bad mind you, in context it's used sparingly enough as a fine way to escalate the situation). Not one of the scariest films ever made as it's as it's pop-cultural reputation precedes, but an all-around solid horror-drama all the same.

1. Good Morning Vietnam - [strike]Continuing my[/strike] Robin Williams [strike]film spree[/strike] with one of the films that really put him on the map.

2. Requiem for a Dream - A fun-filled romp for the whole family!

3. Plan 9 From Outer Space - The B-movie to define all B-movies?

4. Whiplash - One of my best friends considers this his favourite film of 2014, and J.K. Simmons generally hasn't steered me wrong in the past.

5. The Wolf of Wall Street - My understanding is that this shares a lot of structural and thematic similarities to Goodfellas, so for the sake of contrasting the two, I figured it'd make for a suitable follow-up to the Scorsese slot. At any rate, I had been interested in seeing this one and do love me a good black comedy.

6. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure - The absurdist comedy with a slight tinge of dark comedy seems right up my alley, and with a pseudo-sequel having come out within the last year, it seems as good an excuse as any to finally get around to watching this one.

7. Pan's Labyrinth - Want to start getting into del Toro's work, and with this year marking this film's 10th anniversary, it seems like an ideal time to hit up this one.

8. Barton Fink - I'm gonna go sneak into an R-rated movie.

9. Fantastic Mr. Fox - Never watched a Wes Anderson film but always down for some good animation and stop motion in particular.

10. Blade Runner: I'm not even going to try and make an excuse for this one, especially now that 2049 is out. My understanding is preferably go with the Final Cut, and absolutely stay away from the Theatrical Cut?

Deshamed (61): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Zombieland, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, 21 Jump Street, The Godfather, Jackie Brown, Citizen Kane, Pink Floyd - The Wall, Birdman, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Back to the Future: Part II, Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Zodiac, Princess Mononoke, The Godfather Part II, Halloween, Spirited Away, Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones, Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, UHF, Goodfellas, No Country For Old Men, A Nightmare on Elm Street, A Hard Day's Night, Fargo, Porco Rosso, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Exorcist

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Brute Force

This was...extremely good! Which is a slight surprise, as I'm not a big fan of prison movies in general. They tend to lean too hard on similar tropes, make a big deal out of mawkish masculinity, and assume that the premise and ticking clock of escape is enough to keep your interest while failing to elucidate on the characters or situation in a way that feels creative, original, or emotionally impactful. But Brute Force plays with all the elements, and though it follows a lot of the typical beats, particularly for a noir film, it uses its setting, characters, and situation in the way the best noir (and prison) films do, which is to entertain you with a series of personalities, establish and explicate a theme, and maintain a level of satisfying cynical misanthropy that's both crushing and refreshing. We feel the air in the grasp of the characters, and we feel it rush away in a perfectly Chekhovian series of events.

The real standout here is the battle of wills between the drunk, tired doctor and the prissy, sadistic head guard, who have a dynamic of nearly Shakespearean proportions - crushed, insistent good raising a fist up to a force of prickly, prideful hatred. I can't remember the last time I saw a good, hearty villain like the guard, because you really love to hate him, and that hate is the flywheel for the movie. There are other entertaining dynamics amongst the prisoners, including a clever trick with a rorschach-esque pinup girl that the cellmates project their loves on and who they each, in turn, lapse into a trance over, allowing us into a flashback about the wives and girlfriends they miss. There's an excellent murder scene involving industrial machinery, and a lot of nicely written observations about prison life that provoke a great sense of sadness and loss. We understand and sympathize, and the actors and script do an excellent job of conveying the feeling of a hopeless divide between current life and past life.

Overall, I guess I just wasn't expecting such an earnestly involving and full movie - this is a movie that's like a square meal. It's got a little of everything, and most of it's good for you, and some of it'll keep you up at night.

10/10

shamezone

1) A Poem Is A Naked Person - more les blank!
2) A Room With A View - yeah
3) No End - poland 1
4) The Pillow Book - greenaway
5) The Entertainer - ??
6) Ashes and Diamonds - poland 2
7) The Rite - closing the bergman gap
8) Veronika Voss - plowing forward with fassbinder
9) Meantime - 80s underground
10) The Piano Teacher - hurt me hurt me hurt me hurt me

[full list] Floating Weeds 9/10, Daisies 8/10, Stray Dog 8/10, Victim 6/10, Man Bites Dog 9/10, Night and Fog 10/10, Weekend 8/10, Jubilee 10/10, Sans Soleil 10/10, Candidate 8/10, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 10/10, The Freshman 5/10, Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers 10/10, Branded to Kill 8/10, In Heaven There Is No Beer? 10/10, Blood Simple 10/10, The Marriage of Maria Braun 7/10, A Day In The Country 7/10, A Brief History of Time 10/10, Gates of Heaven 10/10, The Thin Blue Line 10/10, The Fog of War 10/10, My Beautiful Laundrette 10/10, Blind Chance 8/10, My Winnipeg 10/10, The River 7/10, Odd Man Out 8/10, The Passion of Anna 9/10, Brute Force 10/10 (total: 130)

Trash Boat gets Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

MagicHateBall, Haven't seen any on your list. Random Number Generator says to see The Rite.

Just saw The Fast and the Furious. Was pretty sure I probably wouldn't like it, but I started thinking it was OK by the mid-point. The stunt work was pretty impressive, and the camera work during those stunts was good. Seemed to try to hard, though, to be cool and masculine. I'm not against tough guy movies, but this just seemed like they were trying to hard. At first seemed to concerned about being cool. It eased up somewhat halfway through and finally seemed to try to tell a story and develop the characters.

My List:
The Shootist - Feel like it's time for another John Wayne movie.

Lost In Translation NEWEST

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film. OLDEST

Eraserhead - Seen a few Lynch movies, and I like what I've seen of them. This seems to be on a lot of people's lists.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart

Stray Dog - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Oklahoma - Don't know anything about it. Next on my musicals list.

Die Nibelungen - Interested in seeing another Fritz Lang picture.

Shadow of a Doubt - More Hitchcock here.

King Creole - Adding a new slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. Starting with one of Elvis'.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala, Vertigo, Avatar, Gangs of New York, House of Wax, Wall Street, Life of Pi, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari,The Big Lebowski, Dial M for Murder, V For Vendetta, King Kong, Dodesukaden, Labyrinth, Reds,Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,Strangers on a Train,The Fast and the Furious

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 7, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Eraserhead - Seen a few Lynch movies, and I like what I've seen of them. This seems to be on a lot of people's lists.

Next one for you.

Shakes the Clown - Overall it was a very unique experience considering most of the actors are varying kinds of clowns wearing makeup. Bobcat Goldthwait convincingly channels the desperation, dementedness and drunkenness of a struggling clown.

The film constantly pits different clown factions against each other. Mainly rodeo vs. party vs. mime. The highlights occur when he's in his element and performing at parties and attacking kids and making disturbing faces and grunting etc. These moments when he nears a psychotic break are memorable. However, the crime/drama aspects came across as superficial and underdeveloped. Basically he's fired due to his alcoholism and then framed for murder by another drug addicted clown. These parts just weren't very compelling.

PS There are a lot of famous people wearing clown makeup. Robin Williams, Adam Sandler and Milton Berle to name a few.

Also watched:

The Verdict - Another courtroom drama with a lowly lawyer fighting against an armada of a defense team. Paul Newman plays a giant mess of a lawyer whose days are determined by how he fares during his morning pinball games. He's kind of a conman as he goes after the bereaved and tries to cash in on their misfortunes. Similarly to Ryan O'Neal's character in the film Paper Moon.

The main conflict concerns a famous doctor who's erred in giving an anesthetic prematurely to a patient. This mistake ends up turning her into a vegetable (figuratively at least). I won't go into all the details but there are the typical dirty lawyers, twists and scandals along the way. Ultimately the film plays out like an episode of that TV series Matlock.

The cast is memorable. Lindsay Crouse, a disheveled Jack Warden and Charlotte Rampling to name a few.

Octopussy - Something about jewels. 10/28/17

Esquire's 75 Movies Every Man Should See (61/74 completed):

new #50 Gone Baby Gone - Sounds somewhat similar to Mystic River. 11/6/17

#66 Run Silent, Run Deep - Supposedly a premier submarine film. 10/20/17

new #70 Hud - Another film starring Paul Newman. 11/6/17

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Octopussy - Something about jewels. 10/28/17

Lucky for you, this just got added to Amazon Prime again! I also chose it because I plan on rewatching it very soon (I'm going through the Bonds chronologically.)

After a long break and an October challenge, I'm ready to watch some classics again!

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948; J. Huston)

Not a western! Not really, anyway, but it does take place out west. Gold does evil to a man's soul! Lies, betrayal, paranoia, all in the name of greed. It's interesting to see how they handled stories in the 1940's. The drama isn't in finding gold, they spend maybe 20 minutes with that as a goal. As soon as they get to work, the gold appears and they've turned a profit. This leaves the second half of the film completely open to the growing rivalries and deception among the men. Bogart was amazing again, and I'm happy I've been able to watch more movies with him in it (thanks to this thread).

My List

Monsier Hulot's Holiday (1953; J. Tati; Criterion) - (11.7.17) A lot of my favorite director's love this little comedy, and I needed something on this list from the 50's

Akira (1988; Katsuhiro Ōtomo) - (8.31.17) I wanted to add some classic animated movies I haven't seen, this being the BIG one I've missed out on.

Stranger Than Paradise (1984; J. Jarmusch; Criterion) - (8.25.17) I love everything I've seen of Jim Jarmusch, which only amounts to 5 films. This is his first film. I've only seen the first 15 minutes.

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences.

Tootsie (1982; S. Pollack; Criterion) - (8.1.17) A comedy classic(?) I've never seen. I like Dustin Hoffman in everything I've seen him in, but he's not someone I seek out.

The French Connection (1971; W. Friedkin) - (7.2.17) I have only seen William Friedkin's The Exorcist and The Hunted; I've been excited to watch this since his appearance on WTF podcast. I own it on DVD.

In Cold Blood (1967; R. Brooks; Criterion) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

The Thin Red Line (1998; T. Malick; Criterion) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

Fitzcarraldo (1982; W. Herzog; Criterion) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962; D. Lean;) - (6.22.17) It's looooong and sounds kinda boring.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Letterboxd

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Trap sprung motherfucker! I've been lying in wait...

Franchescanado posted:

Lawrence of Arabia (1962; D. Lean;) - (6.22.17) It's looooong and sounds kinda boring.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to like it, but also be open to having your mind blown. Your pre-Lawrence era will soon be over, get ready for the post-Lawrence era.

I watched Bronson, which was really about a performance more than anything else. Well, Hardy's performance combined with the creative and innovative direction of Refn I think is what makes the film unique. The haphazard way the story is told fits really well with the character study that it is, you really feel like you're finding out what it's like to know Bronson, who is like the physical embodiment of chaos. I like the look of some of Refn's other work more, like Valhalla Rising, Drive, and Neon Demon, but there's obviously still a lot of style in this.

Remaining list:

A Man For All Seasons: Robert Shaw as Henry VIII? Yes please!

Bottle Rocket: I love Wes Anderson, and I've never seen his debut. Shameful.

The Mechanic: I've seen Bronson in his old westerns, and also the Death Wish series, so this is one that I missed along the way that stands out.

Chappie: I got kinda sick of Blomkamp but I should probably still check this one out at some point

How to Steal A Million: Peter O'toole, so that's all I really need to know.

Stoker: I absolutely loved The Handmaiden, this seems like a good one to go to next.

Speed Racer: In the real world there's no shame in not having Speed Racer, but I've heard people talk about it very positively here. And I'm one of those weirdos who loves Cloud Atlas so...

The Fury: Not really shameful, but I am trying to go through more of De Palma and this one is available on Netflix.

The Rainmaker: I've seen the Godfather films, Apocalypse Now, and Dracula. Apparently Coppola made a few other good movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Trap sprung motherfucker! I've been lying in wait...

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to like it, but also be open to having your mind blown. Your pre-Lawrence era will soon be over, get ready for the post-Lawrence era.

:argh: Got me good, fucker! I knew this day would come!

It's still streaming on Starz through Prime, so I'll probably knock this out this weekend!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Stoker: I absolutely loved The Handmaiden, this seems like a good one to go to next.
This because I just watched it recently myself

The Blair Witch Project - This is actually the first found footage horror movie I've watched and it's easy to see how it launched a genre. The pacing is impressive and it creates so much tension out of basically nothing. No budget, just two cameras and three amazing performances. That ending is so good. 4/5

List:

Moonlight - hearing Barry Jenkins talk about Wong Kar Wai made me really want to see this in the theater, yet I never got around to it.

Early Summer - watched Late Spring earlier this year and really need to catch up on Ozu

Ran - it's been a while since I've watched any Kurosawa, need to finish off the big ones

Yi Yi - I've realized Edward Yang is the best, and this is his most well-known. I think it is also the only Chinese-language film in the Criterion Collection (a depressingly short list) I haven't seen

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - been watching a lot of Taiwanese films lately, I should probably check out Tsai Ming-liang. Also it's probably not too relevant, but I loved Dragon Inn

Faces - i bought the Criterion Cassavetes set because i loved A Woman Under the Influence, but haven't watched any of the others yet

Blood and Black Lace - horror

Completed(16): A Nightmare on Elm Street [4/5], Vertigo [5/5], Repulsion [4/5], Last Year at Marienbad [5/5], Blade Runner[4/5], Akira [5/5], Rear Window [5/5], A Brighter Summer Day [5/5], Rosemary's Baby [5/5], Close Encounters of the Third Kind [4/5], The Godfather Part 2 [5/5], Citizen Kane [5/5], Godzilla [5/5], Psycho [5/5], The Exorcist [4/5], The Blair Witch Project [4/5]
letterboxd

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

FancyMike posted:

Enjoy!

You, FancyMike, picked this one for me about two months ago:
Seven Samurai (1954)
And I'm really glad you did. I was a little apprehensive about watching a three hour long movie, but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Epic scale is usually something I don't appreciate, but the flow of the story was incredible. The recruitment scenes in the beginning were excellent, Toshiro Mifune/ Kikuchiyo had about ten scenes that would be the best scene of any lesser movie, and final battles and conclusion were powerful.

I really loved it.

LIST:

1. Sunrise (1927): This is one of those silent movies, like Battleship Potemkin or The General, that I see on every 'Greatest Films' list but don't know anything about. I'm not really a fan of the few silent movies I've seen, but I'm super open to having my horizons expanded.

2. City Lights (1931): Never seen a Chaplin.

3. Bicycle Thieves (1948): My buddy tells me it's good, so I'm really hoping to hate this film hard, so I can say he has poo poo taste. (jk I hope it's good)

4. Tokyo Story (1953): Never seen an Ozu.

5. 8 1/2 (1963): It's a movie about a guy who makes movies?

6. The Godfather (1972): Al Pacino's 2nd best performance, after the breathtaking yet subtle Carlito's Way.

7. Blade Runner (1982): Saw 2049, only seen bits and pieces of the original.

8. Goodfellas (1990): Shameful!

9. A History of Violence (2005): Late period Cronenberg. I loved Eastern Promises with my whole heart. I think I'll like this one, too.

10. Melancholia (2011): Here's my experience with Lars Von Trier. The year was 2014. Scrolling through Netflix, I decided to put on Antichrist. I saw a black & white huge hog just railing out somebody in close up. I made a face and put on the Office.

(note: I rebooted this list with movies that I really want to see as opposed to kind of want to see.)

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954)
(16)

the_tasman_series fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 13, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Here you go:

the_tasman_series posted:

6. The Godfather (1972): Al Pacino's 2nd best performance, after the breathtaking yet subtle Carlito's Way.

My Neighbour Totoro
I've seen a couple other Ghibli films and this did not disappoint. It has warmth and charm.
It's much smaller in scale than the later films I've seen; the children's problems are all real life ones that are scary as a child, like having a sick parent or getting lost. It's also more gentle in tone, without much peril or conflict and none from the magical creatures themselves, who are all benign.
I wanna ride the catbus.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Life is Beautiful

2) (classic comedy) Duck Soup I've never seen a Marx Brothers film

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

4) (Academy Award winner) Birdman Last Michael Keaton film I saw was Jack Frost.

5) (foreign language) Rashomon I like the premise

6) (war) Das Boot A war seen from the other side

7) (Horror) Friday 13th One of the most famous horror franchises and I've never seen any of them

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Time Bandits I understand Gilliam considered this the first in a thematic trilogy, and the only one that didn't bomb at the box office, so I'll start here

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

10) (wildcard) Deliverance :banjo:

Watched (7): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017
How's this for a turnaround, bitterandtwisted. Godfather came in on hold from the library, the same day you picked it for me. Uncanny timing.
And as for your movie,

bitterandtwisted posted:

5) (foreign language) Rashomon I like the premise

and I can't wait for your review! I'm considering watching Rashomon myself.

The Godfather (1972) Review:

I liked the movie. It felt almost immediately familiar to me, since I went in knowing the gist, having seen a couple scenes on TV or parodies of those scenes, knowing the famous lines, and having seen plenty of post-Godfather gangster pictures that take influence from it. Brando killed it as the title character (as you probably know.) Pacino was good, even great some of the time, but I’m used to really loving him, and here he just seemed mostly alright.
And another thing: I’m sure this is a pretty surface-level analysis, but drat, does the film really drive home that the Corleone men hate & disregard women. Both the opening and closing scenes make a point out of the Corleone women getting mistreated or ignored by either the new or old Don. Wasn’t expecting that particular theme to get prime real estate, but there we are.
I’t’s good folks.

LIST:

1. Sunrise (1927): This is one of those silent movies, like Battleship Potemkin or The General, that I see on every 'Greatest Films' list but don't know anything about. I'm not really a fan of the few silent movies I've seen, but I'm super open to having my horizons expanded.

3. Bicycle Thieves (1948): My buddy tells me it's good, so I'm really hoping to hate this film hard, so I can say he has poo poo taste. (jk I hope it's good)

6. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975): For whatever reason, I have a special place for films that delve into brutality. The first time I saw Irreversible, for example, it blew my mind - I never knew that a movie could or would go that far. It seems to me that Salò is something like the originator of that genre. I’m interested.

7. Blade Runner (1982): Saw 2049, only seen bits and pieces of the original.

9. A History of Violence (2005): Late period Cronenberg. I loved Eastern Promises with my whole heart. I think I'll like this one, too.

10. Hell or High Water (2016): Never bothered to see this one (despite a couple of recommendations), but after watching Sicario and seeing that they shared the same writer, I’m trying to take a go at this “Neo-Western”

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972)
(17)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

this.

Cléo from 5 to 7 - Wow. I need to see more from her but on first viewing this might just put Varda ahead of her French New Wave contemporaries for me. Cléo is one of the most fully realized characters I've ever seen on film and there is an emotional depth to it all that I've been missing in other New Wave works. That shot of Cléo and Antoine walking at the end is perfect. 5/5

List:

The Act of Killing - need a documentary slot on here and this one has been on my list since it came out. Pick this and I'll do a double feature with The Look of Silence

Completed(17): A Nightmare on Elm Street [4/5], Vertigo [5/5], Repulsion [4/5], Last Year at Marienbad [5/5], Blade Runner[4/5], Akira [5/5], Rear Window [5/5], A Brighter Summer Day [5/5], Rosemary's Baby [5/5], Close Encounters of the Third Kind [4/5], The Godfather Part 2 [5/5], Citizen Kane [5/5], Godzilla [5/5], Psycho [5/5], The Exorcist [4/5], The Blair Witch Project [4/5], Cléo from 5 to 7 [5/5]
letterboxd

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Rite

This was extremely middling Bergman. When he made it, he'd ended his intensely invigorating run of 60s films with the absolute firebomb of fury that is Shame, and would soon stumble into his later period of more organic and emotional color films, starting with Passion of Anna, which I reviewed upthread and enjoyed. His 60s run was, at its best, like a slap of cold water, particularly in my personal favorite, Winter Light, which is a slim, ascetic film that deploys his semi-essayistic style of exploring a thesis while nimbly dancing across a series of deeply realized and engaging characters without stumbling over the headier and occasionally swampy tropes of self-consciously artistic cinema that were so prevalent at the time. Unfortunately, The Rite falls into those art cinema traps.

It's a spare, frequently beautiful film, shot on simple sets and mostly in close-ups. The design of the script is cute - each scene is preceded by a title card that reads something like "SCENE ONE - AN INTERROGATION ROOM", and occasionally interrupted by clattering music - and the overall arc, wending its way through different pairings of characters towards the revelation of the Rite itself, provides narrative momentum. In a moment-to-moment way, Bergman doesn't fail to give his characters interesting things to say, which is great. So many movies have trouble creating dialogue that doesn't sound like filler, but every word out of a Bergman character's mouth is vibrant, enlightening, and new. But there's something about it that doesn't hold together. The characters are too ornery and uncomposed, taking brash turns of mood that frequently seem inexplicable, as if there were big gaps of elided dialogue, and the thesis is hazy, maybe because it was too close to home for Bergman, being a reflection (and even exorcism) of his troubled theatrical career.

Thankfully, it's only an hour and twelve minutes, and it's really not bad. It's just subpar, like eating a beef sandwich in the kitchen while a big roast is in the oven.

5/10

shamezone

1) A Poem Is A Naked Person - more les blank!
2) A Room With A View - yeah
3) No End - poland 1
4) The Pillow Book - greenaway
5) The Entertainer - ??
6) Ashes and Diamonds - poland 2
7) The Act Of Killing - recently acclaimed
8) Veronika Voss - plowing forward with fassbinder
9) Meantime - 80s underground

[full list] Floating Weeds 9/10, Daisies 8/10, Stray Dog 8/10, Victim 6/10, Man Bites Dog 9/10, Night and Fog 10/10, Weekend 8/10, Jubilee 10/10, Sans Soleil 10/10, Candidate 8/10, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 10/10, The Freshman 5/10, Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers 10/10, Branded to Kill 8/10, In Heaven There Is No Beer? 10/10, Blood Simple 10/10, The Marriage of Maria Braun 7/10, A Day In The Country 7/10, A Brief History of Time 10/10, Gates of Heaven 10/10, The Thin Blue Line 10/10, The Fog of War 10/10, My Beautiful Laundrette 10/10, Blind Chance 8/10, My Winnipeg 10/10, The River 7/10, Odd Man Out 8/10, The Passion of Anna 9/10, Brute Force 10/10, The Rite 5/10 (total: 131)

FancyMike gets Faces

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't wanna hurt you TOO bad, but it is a pretty intense watch. Cheers!

Born on the Fourth of July
Along with the fantastic Tom Cruise retrospective on Filmspotting 5-6 weeks ago, this was the film they reviewed - one I had yet to watch. Similar to someone like Denzel Washington, where we just brush them off as big Hollywood stars, yet never take a real close look at the consistent work they deliver. Cruise here as Vietnam vet Ron Kovic is another strong performance - a man looking to find worth in his life, even while the war itself is under debate & scrutiny. While the movie gets bogged down by the all-too-present score and Oscar-bait type of visuals, those are also symptoms of the Hollywood patterns at that time, so they can be forgiven. And when it's another iconic John Williams score being repeated, it can certainly be forgiven, bringing a melancholy to the narrative that counter-acts the confidence and swagger in Kovic's mind.

LIST

Patton [1970 - 172mins] - **NEW** (2017.11.14) - replaced a lengthy war film with another.. and I've enjoyed George C Scott in many other films. This may be his best? (unwatched DVD)

The Young Girls of Rochefort [1967 - 124mins] - **NEW** (2017.10.25) - I've only watched 'Cherbourg from the Demy boxset.. time to change that. (blind boxsets)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), [Total:177]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 16, 2017

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

friendo55 posted:

This is one of my favorite filmed musicals, for sure. The fashion by itself puts Rochefort squarely in camp territory. Enjoy!

City Lights (1931):

I like this style of comedy a lot - every scene is its own, complete bit with a build-up, variations, and a climax. Any plot or B-plot is sort of loosely fit in between comedic scenes that could easily exist on its own. The boxing scene, in particular, was so far removed from the main plot, comes to nothing, and is still one of the best parts.
Despite that, Chaplin still manages to create a satisfying A-plot. The last scene, when the blind girl discovers that the ‘gentlemen’ had been a vagrant all along, almost made me tear up. That’s more than I can say for most movies, period.

I also saw…

Blade Runner (1982):

Iconic sci-fi movie about robots that are too human, humans that are too robotic, the commodification of people, and death. This was a dope film, with incredible dystopian atmosphere, a lovely protagonist, a surprising amount of purely meditative shots that don’t advance the film, and, of course, an amazing horror-infused climax where selfless mercy is granted to our boy Decker/Harrison. Loved it. And Rutger Hauer gets a lot of mileage out of looking weird.

One other thing - the version I saw was, I think, the theatrical version with narration, cut and edited for TV broadcast. I know some people swear by another cut (Director’s? Final?). Is that one worth tracking down? Does it add much to the film?

LIST:

2. Modern Times (1936): Chaplin v. Gears & Levers, judging by the criterion cover.

6. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975): For whatever reason, I have a special place for films that delve into brutality. The first time I saw Irreversible, for example, it blew my mind - I never knew that a movie could or would go that far. It seems to me that Salò is something like the originator of that genre. I’m interested.

7. Scanners (1981): Two hours of good movie wrapped around one of the top GIFs of all time.

10. Hell or High Water (2016): Never bothered to see this one (despite a couple of recommendations), but after watching Sicario and seeing that they shared the same writer, I’m trying to take a go at this “Neo-Western”

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982)
(19)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

One other thing - the version I saw was, I think, the theatrical version with narration, cut and edited for TV broadcast. I know some people swear by another cut (Director’s? Final?). Is that one worth tracking down? Does it add much to the film?

yes, basically. If you liked theatrical, the final (or director's) cut will be worth watching at some point.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Tasman, you get to watch Sunrise. Hope you like it.

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Jurgan, It's almost Halloween. See Frankenstein.

Well, I missed the timeframe for that one. There was a long waitlist at the library.

Honestly, Frankenstein kind of bored me. There was a lot of characters talking about ethics and the old Romantic cliche of scientists trespassing on God's domain. There was about twenty solid minutes in there, mostly the stuff with Karloff stumbling around as the misunderstood creature. His first appearance is built up very well (it reminds me of Cesare waking up in Cabinet of Dr. Caligari), and I can see how it would have a big effect if not for eighty years of parody. But none of the human characters have the depth they did in Shelley's novel (Frankenstein himself was a one-dimensional mad scientist who switched sides only because he lost control, not because of any moral decision), and the monster doesn't get much screentime so it never gets past "naive brute." The movie was clearly made on a very low budget, as it's mostly people sitting in small rooms talking to each other. I gather most of the iconic scenes people remember, like the monster meeting a blind man, are from Bride of Frankenstein. They'd have to be, because there's really not enough substance here for it to be worthwhile.

Rating: 2/4

P.S. "Henry" Frankenstein? Why the name-switch, only to name a different character "Victor?" And why is the hunchbacked character called "Fritz" and not "Igor?" I'm guessing "Igor" is from the sequel.

116. Boogie Nights- Uh, porn is bad. You shouldn't watch porn, m'kay?

120. The Straight Story- Doug Walker described this as "a movie that seems really slow and tedious until you get to the end, and then you realize everything that happened was for a reason." So that interested me. Also, it's by David Lynch, who ranges from excellent (Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks Season One) to pretty good (Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks Season Two). No, I've never seen Dune, why do you ask?

124. The Rules of the Game- I opened the They Shoot Pictures list, and this is number five. I've never even heard of it.

132. Five Easy Pieces- Continuing the Ebert list, I somehow skipped over this one.

133. The Stepford Wives- I recently saw Get Out, and I highly recommend it. I've seen a lot of comparisons to The Stepford Wives, and while I basically know what it's about I still think I should see it.

135. Man with a Movie Camera- Fourth wall? Never heard of it.

139. Birth of a Nation: Oh, boy, this is the big one. This is not a movie you watch for fun, but it's a movie that needs to be seen by anyone who cares about film history.

140. Inland Empire: Want some more David Lynch.

141. Drag Me to Hell: A horror film by Sam Raimi. I like both of those things!

143. Dracula (1931): Call this the Universal Monsters slot.

Okay, tell me what I'm watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God: 4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4, Top Gun: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Bleu: 3.5/4, The Hidden Fortess: 3/4, First Blood: 4/4, The Ten Commandments:3.5/4, Patton: 3.5/4, The Bourne Supremacy:3.5/4, King Lear (1983): 2.5/4, Repo Man: 2.5/4, King Kong: 3.5/4, Wall Street: 3/4, The Blues Brothers: 2/4, Trois Couleurs: Blanc: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Rouge: 3.5/4, Animal House: 1.5/4, Ben-Hur: 3.5/4, Gojira: 4/4, Sunset Boulevard: 3.5/4, Falling Down: 4/4, The Night of the Hunter: 3.5/4, Ran: 4/4, The Battle of Algiers: 4/4, Z: 3/4, The Great Escape: 2.5/4, Cries and Whispers: 4/4, Enchanted: 3.5/4, Judgment at Nuremberg: 4/4, Cool Hand Luke:3/4, Scenes from a Marriage: 4/4, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956): 4/4, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): 3.5/4, The Bourne Ultimatum: 3.5/4, F for Fake: 4/4, Spartacus: 4/4, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: 4/4, Sunrise: 3.5/4, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer: 1.5/4, Cloud Atlas: 4/4, Throne of Blood: 2.5/4, Forbidden Planet: 3/4, The Day the Earth Stood Still: 2/4, Frankenstein (1931): 2/4

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

120. The Straight Story- Doug Walker described this as "a movie that seems really slow and tedious until you get to the end, and then you realize everything that happened was for a reason." So that interested me. Also, it's by David Lynch, who ranges from excellent (Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks Season One) to pretty good (Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks Season Two). No, I've never seen Dune, why do you ask?

I can't believe you're making me pick between Boogie Nights and The Straight Story, but since you're own description is the best setup for the movie (and to honor the recently deceased Harry Dean Stanton), you're going on a existential road trip on a John Deer.

It took me all day but I finally watched

Lawrence of Arabia (1962; D. Lean;)

Certainly not what I expected. I was expecting this to be more heroic, and the almost 4 hour run-time made me expect...a story more epic in action than depth with characterization. Something closer to Sparticus than Barry Lyndon. I don't mean this to be a knock against the movie at all; I'm a big fan of The Rise and Fall of "____" stories with murky characters with selfish morality, much like what Scorsese has made a career out of, as well as There Will Be Blood, Scarface, etc. While not as violent as those movies, Lawrence is certainly as dark. Lawrence is an outsider, understood by no one though he's praised as a Messiah figure. He can't fulfill the claim of being a hero, nor is he capable of refuting it; he does in fact want to be this godly force everyone says he is. His hands are filled with much blood as his journey in the desert seems to go on and on without end, with innumerable sacrifices to pay to survive. In all honesty, I couldn't understand much of the British army's strategies and machinations, and felt lost during a few of the feuds within Lawrence's allies. Not that I really had anyone to root for in this film.

Aesthetically, this movie is indeed a masterpiece. Some of the setups are equally gorgeous and fascinating. A lot of time and work went into this film's look and feel--which is massive and intimidating, especially with the vastness of the the desert fueling a sense of isolation.

This is certainly deserving of a classic, and it's a visual masterpiece; but it's run time is a huge undertaking, that if I were to revisit it, it would be over multiple viewings. Though I don't really count that against the film. I am very happy to have finally experienced this epic story.

My List

Sideways (2004; A. Payne) - (11.19.17) Can it really be as good as everyone says it is? I liked Nebraska and About Schmidt

Monsier Hulot's Holiday (1953; J. Tati; Criterion) - (11.7.17) A lot of my favorite director's love this little comedy, and I needed something on this list from the 50's

Akira (1988; Katsuhiro Ōtomo) - (8.31.17) I wanted to add some classic animated movies I haven't seen, this being the BIG one I've missed out on.

Stranger Than Paradise (1984; J. Jarmusch; Criterion) - (8.25.17) I love everything I've seen of Jim Jarmusch, which only amounts to 5 films. This is his first film. I've only seen the first 15 minutes.

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences. (Currently on Prime)

Tootsie (1982; S. Pollack; Criterion) - (8.1.17) A comedy classic(?) I've never seen. I like Dustin Hoffman in everything I've seen him in, but he's not someone I seek out.

The French Connection (1971; W. Friedkin) - (7.2.17) I have only seen William Friedkin's The Exorcist and The Hunted; I've been excited to watch this since his appearance on WTF podcast. I own it on DVD.

In Cold Blood (1967; R. Brooks; Criterion) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

The Thin Red Line (1998; T. Malick; Criterion) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

Fitzcarraldo (1982; W. Herzog; Criterion) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia
Letterboxd

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Franchescanado posted:

This is certainly deserving of a classic, and it's a visual masterpiece; but it's run time is a huge undertaking, that if I were to revisit it, it would be over multiple viewings.

If you ever get a chance to see this on the big screen, please do so - it's great at home but in the cinema it takes on a scope and range that's almost hypnotic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If you ever get a chance to see this on the big screen, please do so - it's great at home but in the cinema it takes on a scope and range that's almost hypnotic.

I had this exact thought as soon as they do the reveal of him on the camel in the first 10 minutes. If I get the chance, I'll see it in theaters (if there's an intermission).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Franchescanado posted:

I had this exact thought as soon as they do the reveal of him on the camel in the first 10 minutes. If I get the chance, I'll see it in theaters (if there's an intermission).

Every theater screening of it that I've been to has had one, even the one at the big 21-screen ultraplex.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Franchescanado posted:

This for you.

Sunrise (1927) was a really, really good film and I liked it a heck of a lot. It’s basically structured as a comic sequence sandwiched in between a more dramatic story - In the first third, a man nearly drowns his wife but recants at the last second, and the movie is in full ‘M’-style dark expressionist mode - crazy, haunted eyes as the man considers what he’s going to do, rowing a boat like he’s possessed, and really dope surreal visuals of his vision of a city. After he decides to not murder his wife, they go inland, she’s calmed down from the near-murder by watching a wedding and them playacting a honeymoon, and the comic sequence begins - funny situations in a big city.

There’s a traffic pileup, a runaway dog, a defaced (beheaded?) statue, a drunk cook, and an incredible bit about a flapper’s dress straps coming down and an OCD-style gentleman fixing them for her. It’s such a mood whiplash that I was off-kilter for a second, but I think it makes sense - who wouldn’t want to blow off some steam after nearly murdering/getting murdered?

In the last third of the film, the mood returns to desperate drama when the boat capsizes on the way back from the city, and the wife, ironically, seems to drown, this time unintended by the man. He’s granted a reprieve from the tragedy in the very end, but before the wife is returned, he works the hell out of his face, acting-wise. The bulging-eyeball look of horror and desperation that all the German expressionists seem to love on their actors makes a couple of great appearances.

Anyways, I liked Sunrise a lot. It’s definitely the oldest movie I’ve seen that really grabs me. However, I still felt like I wasn’t connecting fully, just because the thing’s black and white, a little bit blurry, you can see the technical seams in some places, etc. Which is very unfortunate, but I guess that’s just what to expect with movies from nine decades ago.

LIST:

1. Metropolis (1927): It’s been on my to-watch list forever, but I just never seem to be in the mood for a long and silent sci-fi.

2. Modern Times (1936): Chaplin v. Gears & Levers, judging by the criterion cover.

7. Scanners (1981): Two hours of good movie wrapped around one of the top GIFs of all time.

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Sure, I'll pick another Chaplin for you

Faces - Faces is two hours of despair and uncomfortable laughter. There's not a pleasant moment to be found, Cassevetes is relentless in forcing the viewer to confront the darkness of human emotion in extreme closeup. Every scene is very long while ratcheting up the discomfort and denying any sort of satisfying end or closure. It was very good, but also a tough watch that left me feeling pretty hopeless at the end. 4/5

List:

The Act of Killing - need a documentary slot on here and this one has been on my list since it came out. Pick this and I'll do a double feature with The Look of Silence

The Music Room - probably not the recommended place to start with Satyajit Ray, but I bought it and should really watch it

Completed(18): A Nightmare on Elm Street [4/5], Vertigo [5/5], Repulsion [4/5], Last Year at Marienbad [5/5], Blade Runner[4/5], Akira [5/5], Rear Window [5/5], A Brighter Summer Day [5/5], Rosemary's Baby [5/5], Close Encounters of the Third Kind [4/5], The Godfather Part 2 [5/5], Citizen Kane [5/5], Godzilla [5/5], Psycho [5/5], The Exorcist [4/5], The Blair Witch Project [4/5], Cléo from 5 to 7 [5/5], Faces [4/5]
letterboxd

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FancyMike posted:

Faces - Faces is two hours of despair and uncomfortable laughter. There's not a pleasant moment to be found, Cassevetes is relentless in forcing the viewer to confront the darkness of human emotion in extreme closeup. Every scene is very long while ratcheting up the discomfort and denying any sort of satisfying end or closure. It was very good, but also a tough watch that left me feeling pretty hopeless at the end. 4/5

yaaaaay

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Fancymike gets this:

FancyMike posted:

Rashomon
Four witnesses give different accounts of a crime: a bandit, a samurai, his wife and a woodcutter.

Self perception is a key theme in this film. The first three witnesses are not motivated by a desire to prove their innocence; quite the opposite in fact as each of them claims to be the one who kills the Samurai, but instead to promote their own internal image of themselves.
Toshiro Mifune gives the standout performance as the Bandit, fearless and brash - at least in his own account. The Bandit wishes to be known as a fierce warrior so makes a point of bigging up the Samurai's fighting skills, who in turn ascribed an honourable (of sorts) attitude to the Bandit, demonising his own wife while he does so. The Samurai cares about his own honour, not hers.
The Woodcutter's account has an unskilled bandit who wins out of luck and a samurai without courage or honour.

As a neutral observer, it seems like his version is likely to be the truth. However, the Woodcutter is no bastion of honesty: he never gave his account at the trial because he stole a dagger from the scene.

The Samurai giving his account via a medium had the potential to be very hokey, but it was played straight and was strangely effective.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Life is Beautiful

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

4) (Academy Award winner) Birdman Last Michael Keaton film I saw was Jack Frost.

5) (foreign language) Bicycle Thieves It's been kind of on my radar for a while

6) (war) Das Boot A war seen from the other side

7) (Horror) Friday 13th (1980) One of the most famous horror franchises and I've never seen any of them

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Time Bandits I understand Gilliam considered this the first in a thematic trilogy, and the only one that didn't bomb at the box office, so I'll start here

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

10) (wildcard) Deliverance :banjo:

Watched (8): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

This, for you, bitter and twisted.

Modern Times (1936):
Chaplin’s last (mostly) silent movie. A bungling factory worker gets a variety of jobs, comically fucks up, causes a lot of destruction, and serves some time in jail. The opening factory job/nervous breakdown scene was standout among those. I laughed a few times, and there’s some pretty overt anti-industrial, anti-police sentiment that I happened to agree with.
It’s good.

LIST:

1. Metropolis (1927): It’s been on my to-watch list forever, but I just never seem to be in the mood for a long and silent sci-fi.

2. The Wizard of Oz (1939): I wanna see what technicolor was like before WWII.

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think it was possible for someone in CineD to have never seen The Wizard of Oz, but here we are.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was born with The Wizard of Oz embedded in my DNA so I've never really had a good read on how other people saw it(is it an essential classic? to my family it definitely is). In my family it was THE go-to holiday movie and we're talking about full extended family of like 20 people all gathered around the t.v. I'd probably seen the movie 25 times before I was out of grade school.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Franchescanado posted:

I didn't think it was possible for someone in CineD to have never seen The Wizard of Oz, but here we are.

I beat the odds! I think my siblings and all the cousins I grew up with all saw it when they were kids, but I somehow slipped through the cracks.

the_tasman_series fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 22, 2017

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

2. The Wizard of Oz (1939): I wanna see what technicolor was like before WWII.

I feel obligated to pick this for you now. Cheers!

The Young Girls of Rochefort
From the cold opening sequence of dancers, setting up a fair in the town square of Rochefort in southwestern France, it was clear where Damien Chazelle got his inspiration from in making La La Land. Certainly not a bad choice either! Deneuve returns, after collaborating on Demy's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, as ballet teacher Delphine - along with her pianist twin sister Solange (Francoise Dorleac) - as they look for long-lasting love. The song & dance is great as expected, even if the opening "sisters" song is borderline creepy with how they stared blankly into the camera, and the rapidly-sung back & forth between Delphine and Maxence is impressive to the point of exhaustion (especially while trying to read the subtitles). Gene Kelly is charming as always, and I'm certain he must've had a hand in some of the routines here.

LIST

Mon Oncle [1958 - 110mins] - **NEW** (2017.11.22) - needing a push to dive further into the Jacques Tati boxset (blind boxsets)

Patton [1970 - 172mins] - (2017.11.14) - replaced a lengthy war film with another.. and I've enjoyed George C Scott in many other films. This may be his best? (unwatched DVD)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), [Total:178]

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You're never gonna watch Watchmen, huh?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watchmen feels so much more relevant now than it did at the time, Snyder missed to boat on that one by like 10 years. We're so inundated with super hero media these days, the way Watchmen takes apart the genre and shines a different light on it stands out even more today than it did then. Moore's comic is obviously even more ahead of it's time than that, hard to believe he wrote it in 1986.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I agree. No worries, they're doing a Watchmen mini-series remake now.

(They should have made it a mini-series to begin with.)

(It will probably continue after the story proper and drive the story into the ground)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

(It will probably continue after the story proper and drive the story into the ground)

If they went that route they'd almost certainly figure out a (dumb)way to bring Rorschach back from the dead so yea, I can't imagine that being anything other than a disaster.