Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Agent355 posted:

There is a currency that can give you respec points and you get ~12 or something free in the campaign. The currency isn't the most common currency at all, so it's relatively expensive to buy, so if you have to respec heavily you're going to be in trouble but they give you enough points that you can fix little errors you make along the way.

If money was no object you could completely respec the tree but that will break the bank pretty quickly since each point of currency is only worth 1 skill point and there is something like 117 points possible.

Can't you just Cheatengine an unlimited amount of respec coins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's an online game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like the concept of the item world in the Disgaea games. Hitting a roadblock, need to grind? To the item world, not only is there a bunch of mobs that are actually pretty easy to kill (I've had a level 8 character one shot a level 60 mob) and after everything is said and done the item you used also gets stronger. Level up a character then give them the powered up weapon/armor, two birds with one stone.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Frush posted:

Oh I wouldn't say they're that bad, but I absolutely agree that by modern standards they're a mess. I think overall we're making a similar point; the older games forces you to specialize more. True you can gimp yourself a bit, or allow weird gimmick runs (remember the 3 INT stuff?), but even in endgame you're not going to master science, repair, energy weapons, melee weapons, speech and more all at once (unless you're masochistic like nael I guess). It just keeps the RP in RPG a bit more effectively than 'modern' Fallout games. And bulldozering anything and everything gets kind of boring eventually.

No I agree with everything you said. You can sort of try to do the same thing in the 3D fallouts by reducing the XP gain and going low intelligence so you don't get too many skill points, but you're still accommodated. They're different kinds of games in how they're designed.

I'd argue you can't have that "I broke the game" feeling if the game guides you and teaches you there are no wrong choices. This is sorta good because it means the game's well balanced. But you don't get to feel smart because you gamed the system. If you wanted to go unarmed in Fallout 1&2 it took real commitment because guns > fists so you had to max out those important stats leaving you essentially retarded but stronk. You ran into someone with an automatic gun, you had a bad time until you sent them flying off the map.

In a new Fallout, breaking a game is just "Yeah you just kill everyone with fists instantly now because you maxed out unarmed in 3 levels". If you circlestrafe nobody even hits you because you crippled all their limbs with your guaranteed critical hits. As you said it's fun only for so long because you didn't really sacrifice anything you just picked a skill - the game came pre-broken for you.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Leal posted:

I like the concept of the item world in the Disgaea games. Hitting a roadblock, need to grind? To the item world, not only is there a bunch of mobs that are actually pretty easy to kill (I've had a level 8 character one shot a level 60 mob) and after everything is said and done the item you used also gets stronger. Level up a character then give them the powered up weapon/armor, two birds with one stone.

It's funny because I really got into Disgaea 2 for that reason. After the main campaign if you want to explore the rest the item world becomes the most tedious thing ever imaginable (at least for me). The end game is truly design for people who love to grind/maximize their grind efficiency. Sadly I am not one of those people and now have picked up spidey senses for other games and can detect when it's just gonna be a grind. The weird flip side is Disgaea has a bunch of cool ideas in all their games, and you don't really have to grind/go into the item world for the main campaign.

One interesting design decision is it's one of the few rpg games that does not have enemy drops. Instead you get your loot from either stealing from enemies, or clearing the zone. Another thing is all items have buffs you can transfer to other items. And lastly the dark world is really cool, like I wish the developers didn't make it so hidden as there is a lot of creative puzzles and levels are to be found there. For those who haven't played the game, the dark world is basically an alternative version of the level with some kind of twist. Like one twist could be everyone on the map has a chance of changing into a dragon. Another, healing is damage and damage is healing, etc.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

One thing I really appreciated about Disgaea 2 over the first one was that you could change the settings to automatically skip attack animations. Towards the endgame you’ll almost entirely be using special attacks and some of them can be really long. They’re usually not that bad but once you get to the point where you’re trying to grind thousands of levels, it makes a huge difference

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Breetai posted:

Jinxed 10 luck runs in fallout sync perfectly with an unarmed character. Bonus points for int 3.

Trog am punch good

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Lavender posted:

Superflight is amazing fun. You're a little wingsuit guy who glides around randomly generated, craggy lanscapes. The goal is to fly as fast as possible and as close to tight spots as possible to get a higher score - a similar schema to Sleeping Dogs, if you're familiar, how you'd get bonus points or money or something for prolonged dangerous driving.

The little things I like I suppose are how ridiculously addictive it is, and that is $3 American. Can't beat that, go buy it.

Well, gently caress, I'm $3 poorer and an hour after my bedtime. Good poo poo. :birddrugs:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Trog am punch good

Trog am punch best. :colbert:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Frush posted:

...the older games forces you to specialize more. True you can gimp yourself a bit, or allow weird gimmick runs (remember the 3 INT stuff?), but even in endgame you're not going to master science, repair, energy weapons, melee weapons, speech and more all at once (unless you're masochistic like nael I guess).

Vic posted:

If you wanted to go unarmed in Fallout 1&2 it took real commitment because guns > fists so you had to max out those important stats leaving you essentially retarded but stronk. You ran into someone with an automatic gun, you had a bad time until you sent them flying off the map.

I sorta agree with what you're saying in general, but these are bad examples. Science and Repair can be raised to 100 (realistically 80ish) just by reading books and you can easily hit 100+ in your 3 tag skills plus 1-2 others unless you're playing low Int.

And unarmed/melee were underdeveloped in 1, but were crazy good in 2. Early on it saves you the cost of ammo, is low AP, and even with mediocre strength and skill you can easily knock enemies out with headshots. Far easier than eyeshotting them with a gun at least. Late game the AP cost drops more and your chance of instant kills goes way way up, not to mention the deathmachine you can become with slayer perk + 2ap powerfist attacks.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mondian posted:

And unarmed/melee were underdeveloped in 1, but were crazy good in 2. Early on it saves you the cost of ammo, is low AP, and even with mediocre strength and skill you can easily knock enemies out with headshots. Far easier than eyeshotting them with a gun at least. Late game the AP cost drops more and your chance of instant kills goes way way up, not to mention the deathmachine you can become with slayer perk + 2ap powerfist attacks.

Nah you'd get your rear end handed to you on the reg from a laser minigun with every critical hit. At least I'm saying I did :smugbert:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been playing the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC (well getting to where it begins!) and I noticed that when I was hanging from one of the ledges for a while, Aloy let go with one hand and started shaking it and her arm around as if she had cramps.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BioEnchanted posted:

I love that Rules of Nature is a song about animals that can't hack it anymore going extinct, as your fighting a once-fearsome robot that has become so outdated that no-one uses it anymore (except for terrorist organisations, because they're cheap robots now.) The Metal Gear Rex is a dinosaur that has no place on the battlefield anymore and should just give up.

What's funny is that the Ray (typo on your part) was never actually effective since the Rex, the weapon they were specifically designed to destroy, can easily overpower them and even Raiden took down an entire battalion on foot by himself precyborgification

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For a laugh I bought the Mummy Returns game based on the movie (clarifying because there was also one based on the cartoon) and it's honestly kind of interesting. The only problem I have with it though besides the atrocious voice-acting is that there is no useful camera control, if they had just made the right stick rotate the camera the game could almost have been actually... good. I'm kind of impressed by this dumb game I bought for 50p.

It even has two campaigns, one playing as Rick, making use of weapons and dynamite and one playing as Imhotep, making use of his own weapons and magic powers. Also the square button is context sensitive, if rick has a shield in that hand he can only guard and cannot pull himself back up a ledge until he puts it away or drops it. The lack of a lockon isn't too bad, because the animation for the basic curved sword that the desert tribe uses, and drops for your own use, hits in a massive arc around the whole body.

Overall, now that I know the trick to navigating a particularly maze like area (pick up a torch that I totally missed, then you can easily use the rub against the left wall trick) I may even give it another go sometime. There was even a small secret area behind a dynamite wall right at the start that got me a shield. Also, if you attack the mummies with swords, they get hacked to pieces and you can pick up their limbs for use as weapons (and maybe torches, not sure).

Also Imhotep on the character select screen is in rotten form, while in the box art he's in human form so it seems like that will either be a mechanic, where the more hurt he is the more rotten he looks and the life-draining spell mentioned in the manual will fix that, or he will gradually look more human as the game progresses, I'm not sure as I've only played around with Rick to see what the game played like.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted... where do you find all this stuff?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Cex. They sell a lot of old games, like PS2 onwards. Sometimes I see something for a few pounds or less that could be bad but seems interesting, and gamble on it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

What's funny is that the Ray (typo on your part) was never actually effective since the Rex, the weapon they were specifically designed to destroy, can easily overpower them

Well, the REX was secretly modified by Otacon with CQC programs, giving it an advantage in melee ranges that the RAY wasn't designed to counteract. And even then, Snake in the REX only barely defeats a single RAY and if he had been up against a pack of them he would have almost certainly died.

Edit:

Although that entire REX vs RAY fight is one of my favorite little things in games.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Nov 22, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Cex. They sell a lot of old games, like PS2 onwards. Sometimes I see something for a few pounds or less that could be bad but seems interesting, and gamble on it.

Haha I was going to ask if it was Cex. I have no idea how they come by half the poo poo they sell (the old poo poo, anyway, everything recent was probably stolen)

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Calaveron posted:

What's funny is that the Ray (typo on your part) was never actually effective since the Rex, the weapon they were specifically designed to destroy, can easily overpower them and even Raiden took down an entire battalion on foot by himself precyborgification

The Rays were always over-engineered garbage hyped up the impress the brass. Rex is king.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I feel like a walking autonomous nuke launching vehicle shouldn't be judged by its ability to get into what is basically a giant robot fistfight when it comes to determining how effective it is. It wasn't made to fistfight, it was made to nuke.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Slime posted:

I feel like a walking autonomous nuke launching vehicle shouldn't be judged by its ability to get into what is basically a giant robot fistfight when it comes to determining how effective it is. It wasn't made to fistfight, it was made to nuke.

But it's also extremely good at fist fighting so that's a bonus

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

But it can both engage in CQC AND launch a nuke. I think that makes it the single most effective weapons platform ever made, except for its weakness to cyborg ninjas.

Also people forget that while RAY was designed to kill REX, it was specifically designed to kill the REX knockoffs that flooded the black market following Ocelot leaking the plans at the end of MGS1. When you fight RAY in 4, you are using the OG REX, plus Otacon has a few software updates to toss in even more robo-fu.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Now that I know how to wrench the camera, and that there is a Map scene that while angle a little too flat is still helpful, I have completed the first level of Mummy Returns and so far, I'm liking it. Each level gives you an AI partner, in the first level, where you find the Bracelet that is the stories primary McGuffin, you play as Rick with Evy in tow, looking for their idiot son who has got himself stuck falling into the boss room, and in the second level you get Ardeth, that desert warrior dude from the movies, and both of them are actually quite handy, because of course Ardeth has his sword to help fight, but even Evy in the first level has a gun that, even if it doesn't do much, at least stuns enemies quite nicely. I figured out that the shield was actually part of a puzzle that I totally missed the first wander, but the map made it much easier to navigate. It's a 3d render map like in Devil May Cry so you can see how all the areas intersect, although again the projection is too flat as the camera is too low compared to the map, but still useful when needed.

Also while the voice acting isn't great, the dialog can be funny as well, like in the intro to the museum level where three guards are in hiding and Rick asks a guard who is fleeing because all the exhibits have come to life how to get to the basement and gets this string of objectives:

"Well you'll need to speak to Charlie, he's the only one with a key to the basement."
"OK, so where's Charlie?"
"We'll you'll need to ask Frank, the old mule, as he has the key to the second floor."
"Wait, who said anything about the second floor, we need to get to the basement."
"Well Charlie is up on the second floor, he works there you see."
"OK where's Frank then?"
"He's in hiding somewhere on this floor, you'll need to destroy everything, make it totally safe before he'll come out."

Then after the explanation, in which he also calls other characters a "fox" and a "hen" to imply their personality traits, Rick's like "Did you get any of that?" and Ardeth's just like "Something about a Mule, a Fox, and a Hen. It's like an old proverb..."

I thought it was funny. :3:

Edit: Also it has the dumbest, by which I mean best, title drop at the end of the opening narration: "But they must beware, for the Mummy... Returns!"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Nov 22, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Well, the REX was secretly modified by Otacon with CQC programs, giving it an advantage in melee ranges that the RAY wasn't designed to counteract. And even then, Snake in the REX only barely defeats a single RAY and if he had been up against a pack of them he would have almost certainly died.

Edit:

Although that entire REX vs RAY fight is one of my favorite little things in games.

Can my favourite little thing in MGS be how hilariously the military tech-wanking sits alongside the rest of it? SoL starts with Otacon explaining about the problem in the slide mechanism of the dart gun, in a game with giant robots, a vampire, and a man getting possessed by his own arm. It's utterly incongruous and I love it.

I realise that's not a little thing - that kind of gleefully schizophrenic writing is basically Kojima's whole thing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

"Well you'll need to speak to Charlie, he's the only one with a key to the basement."
"OK, so where's Charlie?"
"We'll you'll need to ask Frank, the old mule, as he has the key to the second floor."
"Wait, who said anything about the second floor, we need to get to the basement."
"Well Charlie is up on the second floor, he works there you see."
"OK where's Frank then?"
"He's in hiding somewhere on this floor, you'll need to destroy everything, make it totally safe before he'll come out."

I've obviously never played this game before but I definitely read that as Dennis Reynolds describing the Gruesome Twosome's latest bar-related escapades to Mac

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

timp posted:

I've obviously never played this game before but I definitely read that as Dennis Reynolds describing the Gruesome Twosome's latest bar-related escapades to Mac

I did too, now I want an Always Sunny game that looks like it was created by the gang :negative:

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Leal posted:

I have extremely mixed feelings about Disgaea 5, but the early game (all of the main story content) is awesome about that kind of thing. It's been a while since I played last, but if I remember right, if you ever get stuck in a mission, you can go to the item world to power up an item you like and maybe get the next tier of the same item. While you're there, you can capture residents and double their power, and once they're captured you can move them to another item if you end up ditching the first one. As you use skills, they level up individually which makes them do more damage, but also changes the size and shape of their AoE. You can send some of your team members on missions which makes them level up and bring back useful items. You can put people in squads and level up those squads to unlock super useful abilites. You can capture and interrogate enemies (I honestly forget what it's good for, but I remember doing it often, so it must have been good). You can unlock new classes by leveling up the first ones, and then you can either create new characters or reincarnate your existing characters into new classes from level one, but with a bonus to their base stats (and reincarnation is so much simpler than I remember it being in Disgaea 1). You can turn enemies (I think?) into items that give a permanent stat boost. All of it works really well to make your characters stronger without it feeling like you HAVE to grind, and is, in my opinion, the smoothest difficulty curve of any Disgaea game.

It completely falls apart in the post-game though.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Nov 22, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've never beaten a Disgaea game because I keep buying them on handhelds with a sleep function and then grinding forever in the Item World instead of advancing the plot.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I did too, now I want an Always Sunny game that looks like it was created by the gang :negative:

The Donkey reference actually made me think of Charlie Rules the World from S.8

e, it's even more similar than I thought

RickRICKETY CRICKET: Did you get any of that?

ArdethARTEMIS: Something about a Mule, a Fox, and a Hen. It's like an old proverb...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

food court bailiff posted:

I've never beaten a Disgaea game because I keep buying them on handhelds with a sleep function and then grinding forever in the Item World instead of advancing the plot.

Likewise, minus the handheld part.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just went through most of the museum level of Mummy Returns, holy poo poo! My desert warrior buddy at some point pulled his projectile weapon instead of his sword. He's sporting an AK assault rifle. :h: that guy. Also there were some cool gimmicks due to the whole museum coming to life thing, I had to fight a pair of sabre-tooth tiger skeletons, and on the second floor a couple of effigies pulled themselves out of a stone relief. This game knows how to introduce a few cool enemy types. There were also guys with shields at one point, the pistol bounced off, but realistically the shotgun powdered them - their shields were good, but there is a reason they are currently in a museum instead of still being in use. Looking forward to the boss, it's probably gonna be a T-Rex skeleton or something standard but it's late so I'll find out in the morning.

Edit: No boss, just a bunch of enemies, but Imhotep has entered the plot, so that's cool. I'm at level 3 now, Cairo, having to find 5 gold coins to bribe a guard at the dock to advance. I like that each level started you with a different loadout - basic pistol in the first level, Shotgun and Dual Pistols in level 2, Dual Pistols and AK in Cairo. Adds some variety to the weapons.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Nov 22, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bloodborne is great all over, but I just beat Lady Maria in the Old Hunters DLC and I think she's one of my favourite ever bosses in any game. BB is full of giant howling monsters that just kind of flail at you, but she's a super precise swordswoman that basically has the same moves as the player. You really feel like you're dancing with her when you fight, carefully swerving around from her lunges and hitting her in the back while saving stamina for your escape. Then she goes bananas and starts firing blood at you. Then that blood catches fire and she gets even faster. I lost one fight because my palms were sweating too much in tension.

Funnily enough when I did actually beat her I hardly used any healing items as I had her moveset in all three forms memorised and knew what to do and when. Man she's amazing (plus the fight music is kickass).

edit: and I know she's apparently easy to parry, but I couldn't get the timing right and kept eating her attacks

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Nov 23, 2017

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Bloodborne is great all over, but I just beat Lady Maria in the Old Hunters DLC and I think she's one of my favourite ever bosses in any game. BB is full of giant howling monsters that just kind of flail at you, but she's a super precise swordswoman that basically has the same moves as the player. You really feel like you're dancing with her when you fight, carefully swerving around from her lunges and hitting her in the back while saving stamina for your escape. Then she goes bananas and starts firing blood at you. Then that blood catches fire and she gets even faster. I lost one fight because my palms were sweating too much in tension.

Funnily enough when I did actually beat her I hardly used any healing items as I had her moveset in all three forms memorised and knew what to do and when. Man she's amazing (plus the fight music is kickass).

edit: and I know she's apparently easy to parry, but I couldn't get the timing right and kept eating her attacks

I somehow managed to beat Maria on my first try and it's probably the gaming achievement that has given me the most satisfaction. Just going in blind and watching it slowly shift from an even-footed duel to a raging blood death inferno was loving phenomenal. My heart was pounding through my chest.

And then of course I get to the next two bosses and died approximately 700 times to each of them. They were harder but nowhere near as fun or as satisfying to fight

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really love Maria as a boss fight even though she's not that hard. It's just so anime and ridiculous but it's also grossly satisfying once she starts powering herself up. It's still my favorite Soulsborne boss and the music, as per usual for Bloodborne, is insanely good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Tower Unite one of your customization options is different types of backpacks and one of the backpacks you can buy is of the game's mascot Catsack. You can also equip a jetpack to fly around in the plaza, and if you fly around while wearing a Catsack backpack it gets scared until you're back on solid ground.

timp posted:

Always Sunny is the one IP where all the insane criminal poo poo the average classic adventure game protagonist does (breaking and entering, stealing everything that's not nailed down, manipulating and assaulting people for your own goals) would be completely in character.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My friends and I recently got the $5 Steam game Stick Fight as a way to just drink and gently caress around and it has two things I really like.

The first is that the game doesn't keep track of anyone's score. As soon as one player is left the game just moves everyone to the next map and the fight begins again. It really lowers the stress level knowing that you can't 'Win' the game.

The other really nice feature is the fact that you can change the game rules (Like how often, and what kind of, weapons spawn) without having to exit the game. It really helps keep the flow of the game going and it's hilarious to switch all of the weapons so they shoot snakes in the middle of a session.

Oh, and the maps are really inventive and can lead to some absolutely hilarious deaths.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

BioEnchanted posted:

Edit: Also it has the dumbest, by which I mean best, title drop at the end of the opening narration: "But they must beware, for the Mummy... Returns!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zigTx34rpsw

One of my fav little things in The Evil Within 2.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Guy Mann posted:

Always Sunny is the one IP where all the insane criminal poo poo the average classic adventure game protagonist does (breaking and entering, stealing everything that's not nailed down, manipulating and assaulting people for your own goals) would be completely in character.

An adventure game where you play as Charlie loving with the Waitress' life and all the in-game text is incomprehensible would be priceless.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kind of reminds me of a similar thing that got me laughing my rear end off in Get Even, when you go to the graveyard level, the guy running the whole memory exploration program is talking through your objectives using the usual quick-cuts, and at one point he says "And maybe we will find out why you.. were there..." and it flashes to a sign at the cemetery with "YOU ARE HERE" marked on a map of the place. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FELD1 posted:

An adventure game where you play as Charlie loving with the Waitress' life and all the in-game text is incomprehensible would be priceless.

The Gang Breaks Into A Mansion

*chiptune cover of the theme song while you select which two members of the gang are going in to Fred Edison's mansion*