Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I was aware of doing lots of short-range whirling blades to speed around the map (its a very smooth playstyle with a high attack speed raider, a la old howa ranger).

I was not aware of leap slam working in a box within the screen, making diagonal pythagorean movement more optimal (a la Civ/SMAC movement).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

I was aware of doing lots of short-range whirling blades to speed around the map (its a very smooth playstyle with a high attack speed raider, a la old howa ranger).

I was not aware of leap slam working in a box within the screen, making diagonal pythagorean movement more optimal (a la Civ/SMAC movement).

Yeah I figured out the WB thing a while ago just through spamming the skill, but kinda just assumed a lot of people did the same. The only thing I knew with leap was that using it with 'attack in place' made it feel better to use.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Since he didn't talk about flame dash I can mention that shift-attacking gives you slightly greater range. This sometimes lets you cross gaps that you can't cross without shift-attacking (most obvious examples are the act 2 broken bridges).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Kinda weird that he did all his wb demonstrations with faster attacks and none of the other attack skills with it. Also neither of his claims for base wb attack speed match what GGG has shown in patch notes.

Lines up with testing, tho. I wonder what GGG changed in 2.3 that went from 2.2 seconds to 2.6 when nothing about the skill is that long.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TheRat posted:

Since he didn't talk about flame dash I can mention that shift-attacking gives you slightly greater range. This sometimes lets you cross gaps that you can't cross without shift-attacking (most obvious examples are the act 2 broken bridges).

The same is true of leap slam, but then I can't think of any skill in the game that doesn't work slightly better with shift held. I even do it for namelocking attacks most of the time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
shift click doesnt work for golem skills

its a pain when all your buttons are taken up by active skills, and you put golem on your left click, and when you num lock attack in place, it means you can no longer move with left click

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I figured out the diagonal Leap Slam through play just from how much different straight vertical vs diagonal movement is with that skill, had no idea about the Whirling Blades modes though.

Also how is Lightning Warp so bad? I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where I wouldn't just rather get a level 1 Flame Dash for gap-crossing and relying on Quicksilver and other movement speed increases for running around instead.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
LW is good in lab and while levelling (to cross the oriath river), but yeah dash with faster casting is way better

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Blink Arrow is one of the most underappreciated skills, because it lets you cross a lot of stuff that other movement skills can't do at all, like jump up the ledges in Kaom's Dream if you find the right spot, or cross the chasm in Act 5 Ascent where you run to the Oriath teleporter.

Actually traveling with the skill is balls, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

I figured out the diagonal Leap Slam through play just from how much different straight vertical vs diagonal movement is with that skill, had no idea about the Whirling Blades modes though.

Also how is Lightning Warp so bad? I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where I wouldn't just rather get a level 1 Flame Dash for gap-crossing and relying on Quicksilver and other movement speed increases for running around instead.

Lightning warp has a hard cap on delay, requires a 4 link and a helm enchant to get there, and has a long cast time that requires a lot of investment to get down. It's pretty comfortable on my dual apep's berserker but without that kind of cast speed investment it's just kinda trash. You can't even stick an arcane surge in it because all the -duration applies to the buff. And that's not even getting into the fact that the melee move skills give you access to fortify.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

shift click doesnt work for golem skills

its a pain when all your buttons are taken up by active skills, and you put golem on your left click, and when you num lock attack in place, it means you can no longer move with left click

Ha, didn't think of that. They really should add an option to invert the shift behaviour. Not that I could use it, holding shift half the time is ingrained in my muscle memory at this point.

I usually stack all auras on a single button, then reassign it to golem once they're cast.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

..btt posted:

I usually stack all auras on a single button, then reassign it to golem once they're cast.

Same. Has the added benefit of stopping me from accidentally uncasting the auras mid-battle

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

TheRat posted:

Having said that, I really loved pre 1.1 DD+Cloak of Defiance+Arctic Armour FeelsBadMan

Yeah this build was amazing. I think I pathed all around the tree to get EB/MoM/IR and was just insanely tanky.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I put all my skills on the same overall control scheme.

Left click for primary skill, middle mouse for totem, right click for movement skill. Q gets my secondary skill, W gets a utility skill like OoS, E is for active buffs like blood rage, R and T for auras. If I have more than two auras I reassign them after casting. I don't run builds that have more than three active skills.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vasudus posted:

Left click for primary skill,

:staredog:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well a few exceptions apply, like RF. That gets click to move.

I just hit shift for 99% of the skills I have bound to left click and it's fine.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheRat posted:

Charan has spent a LOT of money on PoE. Other than the Godess swords, he paid for them to put plummeting ursa in the game. He bought a Ruler of Wraeclast supporter pack ($12,500) in beta. And probably lots more.

He also will always make sure it's well known how much money he is thrown down when he gives his terrible opinions on stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
My wrist-issue-laden setup: Move on left click, auras/heralds on middle click, golems on right click

Buffs/cast-and-forget poo poo on Q (totems, Blood Rage, Orb of Storms, whatever). Primary skill on W and E so I can fatfinger whatever I want unless I need the extra keybind, which hasn't really happened so far. Movement skill on R. T is whatever's left.

If I'm not using any of these I just leave them blank.

Spam-clicking or hold-clicking with my mouse hand is bad for me but I can move fine without feeling anything. However anything to do with heavy inventory management or spamming currency is basically a no-go (I use my left hand for jewel/fuse spamming and keep it to a minimum). I can't clear out my standard stash at this point unless I want to kill my wrist.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
i use spacebar for moving because it's what I used in diablo 3 under force to move. gently caress holding down your left mouse button to move. And then I use a side button on my mmo mouse to open my inventory and then another mouse button for the shift attack since I do that a lot and hitting shift is annoying vs a side button on the mouse. For my left click I try to put a skill there that doesn't go off unless you hold shift click. Golems are one of those skills.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I use space instead of shift to hold position and it's way more comfy.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I use space for movement skill and use the num lock trick for force attack

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i still play entirely using my mouse only

wheel up pots 1/2, wheel down pots 4/5, three thumb buttons for pot 3/q/inventory, two more index buttons e/r (two skills blank)

J
Jun 10, 2001

LMB - golem if the build is self casting one, force move if not
RMB - main clear skill
Side mouse button 1 - spammable movement skill
Side mouse button 2 - utility skill (totem, orb of storms, etc)
QWER - everything else
ASDFG - flasks
spacebar - hold position

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I bind every single possible keybind to mouseup/mousedown.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Default keybinds :hehe:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
If you remap spacebar to force move or hold position how do you jump?

MMF Freeway posted:

Default keybinds :hehe:

This is me in every game basically

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Bought a Vaal Pathways, accidentally triggered it in the wrong area. Bought another Vaal Pathways, triggered it in a correct area that had multiple vaal areas possible :suicide:

Any kind goons wanna carry me through shaper and uber atziri in the couple of days after Thanksgiving? You can have all my remaining currency in the league but I'll need to spend both my exalts on the Mortal Hope fragment.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

LMB - force move
Middleclick - movement skill that can jump gaps
RMB - main skill
Q - secondary skill
W - spammable movement skill
E - utility token
R - whatever
T - golem/auras
Space - hold position

Andy Dufresne posted:

If you remap spacebar to force move or hold position how do you jump?

Spacebar-middleclick

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think the most important thing is to always have flasks and movement on the same buttons. You 100% depend on those being musclememory. The rest isn't really that big of a deal.

These are my personal "locked in" keybinds:

LMB - Force move
MB4 - Enduring cry if available, else secondary movement
RMB - Primary offensive skill

Q - Main movement

1 - Instant healpot if available, else utility flask
2-4 utility flasks
5 - quicksilver if available, else utility flask

TheRat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 22, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
just lol if you dont use a flask macro if you aren't a streamer.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

yeah, i try to always have my movement skill on space, quicksilvers are always on 5, instant health are on 1, utilities in the middle.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

just lol if you dont use a flask macro if you aren't a streamer.

Why would I give up control of my flasks like that?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheRat posted:

Why would I give up control of my flasks like that?

Use the mmo mouse side buttons if you need to hit them individually.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Use the mmo mouse side buttons if you need to hit them individually.

I have much finer control of my mouse movement when I'm not clicking side buttons, and in the situations where you need good flask control you will most likely also need good movement control.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Just only play Pathfinder and bind all flasks to a single button besides a life flask if you have one.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cinara posted:

Just only play Pathfinder and bind all flasks to a single button besides a life flask if you have one.

That's the definition of a flask macro

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yes... but if you're Pathfinder you don't need control over your flasks cause they are always up.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
lol if you're not accidentally cycling through the performance graphs from open-palming the numrow

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I've had the same ARPG keybinds for 5+ years, like hell am I gonna redo muscle memory just for POE.

Right Click = Primary Skill
A = secondary skill
D = movement skill
S/F = buffs
Shift = hold still

I can't figure out why games have defaulted to something other than left hand on ASDF. Like, do people not use the home row for keyboard anymore?

This past league i rebound my last skill slot to spacebar, so i don't have to move my hands from asdf. I only use it for stuff like vaal buffs or golems anyways.

Edit: relevant to this discussion

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I refuse to use LMB as my main force move as long as it’s also a “click on things to loot/activate” button. Misclicks sink ships. But then since LMB is worthless for any skill other than golems, I generally have two force moves: W for general use, LMB for lazy one hand gaming.