Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The preview for this episode didn't give me high hopes since it looked to be about Barry turning into a paranoid idiot for an episode. I'm disappointed to know that I wasn't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

It's not like Microsoft is propping up The Flash like Chuck literally needed Subway to keep going after Season 2, is it?

No. They've had a marketing deal with the CW since Arrow was in its second season. I remember seeing some ad once that was like "step into the Arrow writer's room, powered by horrible misogyny the Microsoft Surface Pro!" and it was 2 minute promo of various Arrow writers pretending with all their might that "yeah, we totally write and produce this show on Surface Pros. Honest! Hey look over there at all this other cool stuff it can do [smoke bomb]".

TV shows have been doing this for a long while now, usually with cars though. 24's Terrorist Torture Time Power Hour was powered by Ford in its last few years, and Heroes more or less kicked off it's main storyline with Hiro screaming "NISSAN VERSA!!" and pointing at a Versa in a parking lot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ojjeorago posted:

They should try to live up to the gold standard of Chuck’s Subway advertisements.

Smallville has the worst with Stride gum and sex cults

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The preview for this episode didn't give me high hopes since it looked to be about Barry turning into a paranoid idiot for an episode. I'm disappointed to know that I wasn't wrong.

I honestly thought Barry was going to apologize to DeVoe for what a paranoid shithead he'd been to him over the past few days, and you know, actually take Iris's advice to heart. But then DeVoe drops the act and Barry gets away with acting like an rear end in a top hat moron scot-free again.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The thinker feels even more unthreatening than the Flash's usual bad guys, he's only a problem because after going about things the dumbest way possible Barry decides to... just not follow up in any way.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

nine-gear crow posted:

I honestly thought Barry was going to apologize to DeVoe for what a paranoid shithead he'd been to him over the past few days, and you know, actually take Iris's advice to heart. But then DeVoe drops the act and Barry gets away with acting like an rear end in a top hat moron scot-free again.

Yeah this made no sense you've been leading him on the whole episode driving him mad because he knows deep down you're the villain but he can't prove it only for you to just come clean and announce you're the villain, why??

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I kind of want him to be defeated because of something Wally does he didn't prepare for - because he just forgot about him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

6-year plan man posted:

Yeah this made no sense you've been leading him on the whole episode driving him mad because he knows deep down you're the villain but he can't prove it only for you to just come clean and announce you're the villain, why??

Because Barry's always right. Even when wrong. It would have been a much better ending if they just had Barry let go of his paranoia, sincerely apologize to DeVoe and just go like "look, if you're evil, you're evil. If you're not, then good. I'm glad. It's no skin off my back, and you seem like an otherwise decent person from what I've seen of you so far. So I'm just gonna keep plugging away doing my thing like I did before I met you and leave you alone and if we run into each other again, then that's on you I guess."

Avalerion posted:

I kind of want him to be defeated because of something Wally does he didn't prepare for - because he just forgot about him.

Not gonna lie, that would be a great way of making up for Bussing Wally for a couple of weeks so bluntly.

:corsair:: I'm sorry, and who are you again?
:flashfact:: I'm Kid Flash.
:corsair:: Oh. Right. poo poo
:zoomed:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ah yeah, this is the Flash I remember from the last 2 seasons, was worried it would get stupid as soon as episodes started being devoted to the main villain/story.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Ah yeah, this is the Flash I remember from the last 2 seasons, was worried it would get stupid as soon as episodes started being devoted to the main villain/story.
Don't worry, the villain's plan is going to make perfect sense, and definitely not be a bunch of nonsense like the last two villains that summoned or created metahumans for no clear reason.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Anyone got a gif of Wells pointing to himself in confusion after Barry say's Devoe has an intellect beyond anything they can imagine? Because that was outstanding.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

As stupid as the idea of sneaking into Devoe's house was, I was willing to give the episode some credit for once again remembering that Barry can phase through things… until he left his face completely uncovered while he wandered around the house at normal speed. It was such a dumb plan that he almost got caught even without the camera.

I’m liking the concept of the Thinker as a villain, though. Even though I’m sure his definition of saving people will turn out to be horrible, he comes across as a more human character than any of the evil speedsters. That line of his about “2600 people with the meta gene and they use it to rob jewelry stores and summon tornadoes” sounded like an acknowledgement by the writers of how often people with powers end up becoming assholes on this show (or alternatively, how many assholes end up getting powers).

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 22, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't worry, the villain's plan is going to make perfect sense, and definitely not be a bunch of nonsense like the last two villains that summoned or created metahumans for no clear reason.

From this episode I think it's a safe bet that Devoe's end goal is to put his brain in the Flash's body. Which is a sensible goal, unlike Zoom or Savitar. It's not clear how Buffalo Lady helps him there, but maybe they'll tie it all together

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Wait one goddamn minute! Wally fought Starro and we didn't get to see it?
That's some bullshit!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

From this episode I think it's a safe bet that Devoe's end goal is to put his brain in the Flash's body. Which is a sensible goal, unlike Zoom or Savitar. It's not clear how Buffalo Lady helps him there, but maybe they'll tie it all together

Now I hope one of these shows will do the Ultra-Humanite.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

Considering how paranoid he was, I'm surprised he didn't grab DeVoe and toss him into no lunch supermax.

I mean he definitely wanted to do the same thing to Dibny when he thought he was a bad guy and DeVoe even confessed to him.

Avalerion posted:

The thinker feels even more unthreatening than the Flash's usual bad guys, he's only a problem because after going about things the dumbest way possible Barry decides to... just not follow up in any way.

:agreed:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Am I the only one who agrees with Barry that it was completely obvious that this guy was the DeVoe they were looking for, and that nothing he was doing was particularly crazy? He should have put on the mask to check out his house, but other than that. Like come on, it's not like he was putting cameras in the guys breakfast cereal or something. It's a villain named DeVoe who was named with 92% certainty by a multiversal think-tank of genuises. Who then just so coincidentally had a wife specializing in robotics and a painting that looked almost identical to the robot that attacked them. Yes, they're coincidences, but coincidence enough to raise some pretty freakin' big red flags.

Wasn't it literally last week that Caitlin or Iris or something said that "in our world, nothing is a coincidence"?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
When Joe and Barry were interviewing DeVoe he described Black Bison as "animated". Barry should have just stood up and

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Guy A. Person posted:

What is the deal with the surface pro "commercials" that are apparently still supposed to be canonical scenes? Those are weird and obnoxious. Do they do this in any other shows? Is this the next big thing in advertising?

Hawaii 5-0 whored out to everyone, including prominent shots in the pilot where they use Bing and talk about how it's better and Bing is TOTALLY a verb that folks will use. Bones also did a lot of car ads with hands-free calling or cooing over auto-park.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
New Girl did a couple car ads in show. One where there was a modeling shoot that goes comically awry. One where a character gets a new car and they take a minute to talk about all it's great features.

People lost their poo poo at the first one but it didn't bother me that much because the character is a model and that's the sort of thing models do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

30 Rock had an episode where a character purchases, and is satisfied with, a new GE washer and dryer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FactsAreUseless posted:

30 Rock had an episode where a character purchases, and is satisfied with, a new GE washer and dryer.

30 Rocks hanging a lantern on all the product placement stuff was fantastic.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

30 Rocks hanging a lantern on all the product placement stuff was fantastic.
It's called racial integration.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

The worst part about 30 Rock was that the the Funcooker pocket microwave wasn't real :( I never watched the pilot when it came out, so I didn't realize the Trivection oven was even real until I heard about people losing their minds because NBC aired ads for the Trivection oven with the episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I literally just found out from that post that the Trivection oven was real. "Third kind of heat" still seems like a joke.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think you mean vertical integration.

Which is literally a buzzword I stole from 30Rock and said to my boss and he loved it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lets get you two coffee cups, maybe then you'll feel better.

Autism Sneaks posted:

The worst part about 30 Rock was that the the Funcooker pocket microwave wasn't real :( I never watched the pilot when it came out, so I didn't realize the Trivection oven was even real until I heard about people losing their minds because NBC aired ads for the Trivection oven with the episode.

The bit where they're trying to figure out the name of the product with the scrabble blocks is one of my favorite comedy bits ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5onC93dc0cE

Franks face as Jack is pulling out V...A....G is priceless. 30 Rock, the last great network sitcom.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 22, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Caught up with the latest episode. Plot-mandated skepticism in the lead figure is kind of annoying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that I had the hardest time with this episode is the idea of what DeVoe is even doing? Like, what exactly is his plan in regards to the Flash? Nobody seemed to be asking that question.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The end of the episode kinda felt like it was telegraphing an attempt of bodysnatching.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barry remains the worst part of the show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

The thing that I had the hardest time with this episode is the idea of what DeVoe is even doing? Like, what exactly is his plan in regards to the Flash? Nobody seemed to be asking that question.

1: his motivation is that his body isn't strong enough for his super brain
2: his plan required the existence of the Flash
3: he already got his dang brain halfway out his dang skull

He's going to put his brain in Flash's body.

If your question is, in-universe, why is nobody asking that question, think about their recent lives. They just had two year long conflicts with villains who wanted to gently caress with the flash whose end goals made no sense. They probably don't think "why are you doing this?" is a question worth asking anymore.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

everybody knows that the most egregious product placement was the Friends episode centered around Pottery Barn

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

1: his motivation is that his body isn't strong enough for his super brain
2: his plan required the existence of the Flash
3: he already got his dang brain halfway out his dang skull

He's going to put his brain in Flash's body.

If your question is, in-universe, why is nobody asking that question, think about their recent lives. They just had two year long conflicts with villains who wanted to gently caress with the flash whose end goals made no sense. They probably don't think "why are you doing this?" is a question worth asking anymore.

Actually, you'll notice Wally returned just in time for the DeFoe nonsense. Get Out! Wally :ohdear:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
At minimum, he needs Barry's access to the Speed Force. Beyond that, who knows? If he's as benign as he thinks he is, it may be a matter of him assembling those metas and convincing/coercing them to play their part. Weeper and the luck person seem obvious writhe the former's years used to synthesize a drug and the other basically make sure things go perfectly.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I love every single time they show Hazard’s photo. That clueless look on her face gets me every single time.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"It wouldn't be the first time someone played nice and turned out to be a bad guy." :v:

itt Barry harasses a crippled dude.

I'm guessing they don't "beat" DeVoe but he just ends up dying because he burns himself out.

The Thinker's downfall will be his heart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The Thinker's downfall will be his heart.

If anything, this episode showed that DeVoe's ego is going to be his downfall. The dude's ambition has already hosed him up as seen in the flashbacks, and it'll be his undoing too. And if so then that would be quite thematic, because ego is the supposed antithesis of intellect.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Given the scene where DeVoe said something about wishing he could go back and undo what happened to him, I thought maybe he was going to try and use the Flash for time travel, but wanting to put his brain in the Flash's body probably makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

For someone whose a super genius, Devoe is as dumb as a bag of rocks. Let's let the heroes know who you are. When they are about ready to give up let's confirm how dangerous you are and, while your at it, brag to a man who can move 90 miles before you can blink how much of a threat you are to him. Barry should have taken him for a ride out into the the desert and then asked him "How smart are You now?"