Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

rats, who are against the concept on moral grounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
So an army can lightning strike you with backup? That's stupid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

new phone who dis posted:

So an army can lightning strike you with backup? That's stupid.

What? That's not my understanding. You go one army versus the other in that case. Was it an ambush?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

JBP posted:

What? That's not my understanding. You go one army versus the other in that case. Was it an ambush?

I'm occupying Vaul's Anvil with a Malekith death stack and another death stack standing right there. A High Elf stack moves next to me, then another one comes up and lightning strikes my stack outside the city. I end up have to fight both stacks with no backup.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm occupying Vaul's Anvil with a Malekith death stack and another death stack standing right there. A High Elf stack moves next to me, then another one comes up and lightning strikes my stack outside the city. I end up have to fight both stacks with no backup.

Just read about it and other people say the AI does this. You're not allowed to though. Thanks CA.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

JBP posted:

Just read about it and other people say the AI does this. You're not allowed to though. Thanks CA.

It's infuriating. Especially 175 turns into a ME campaign and this is basically a decapitation of me.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Also, Dark Elves archers should gain enough range from standing on settlement walls to match the high elves. Getting whittled down by their archers as they stand out of range is also infuriating.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Also, Dark Elves archers should gain enough range from standing on settlement walls to match the high elves. Getting whittled down by their archers as they stand out of range is also infuriating.

Gotta pay some tax for tier 1 rapid fire armor piercing archers with shields.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kanos posted:

Gotta pay some tax for tier 1 rapid fire armor piercing archers with shields.

I don't mind paying that tax on the battlefield but having my archers completely nullified in a castle defense scenario is too steep in my opinion.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

JBP posted:

While this resembles a Lightning Strike, it’s a different trick that is player-usable. What’s happening is that if an army is in reinforcement range of a city, but that city is besieged, the city can not reinforce. The enemy stack sieging the city, however, is still able to reinforce. So what the AI is doing is rolling up one army to siege the city, trapping the garrison (and potentially a stationed stack). With the garrison now unable to reinforce, they roll up a second stack to attack your stack outside the city, and their sieging army reinforces this fight. I’ve used this trick myself to dispose of extra stacks near fortified enemy positions (i.e. the Mutinous Gits, who seem to love parking a second stack next to K8P).

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dartonus posted:

While this resembles a Lightning Strike, it’s a different trick that is player-usable. What’s happening is that if an army is in reinforcement range of a city, but that city is besieged, the city can not reinforce. The enemy stack sieging the city, however, is still able to reinforce. So what the AI is doing is rolling up one army to siege the city, trapping the garrison (and potentially a stationed stack). With the garrison now unable to reinforce, they roll up a second stack to attack your stack outside the city, and their sieging army reinforces this fight. I’ve used this trick myself to dispose of extra stacks near fortified enemy positions (i.e. the Mutinous Gits, who seem to love parking a second stack next to K8P).

This actually makes sense in a weird way. I'll look and see if I have any movement left to get my stack out of the city.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

uber_stoat posted:

if I'm someone who really likes Total Warhammer and it's the only Total War I've played, would it be worth it to pick up Attila and some of the DLC in this sale?

If you're interested in other TW, you should consider Shogun II first. It's got a really straightforward, stripped-down design, and some excellent DLC (including a full-scale 1860s campaign, with gatling guns and naval bombardments and so on). Attila is... good, but with caveats. It's badly optimised, the building system is extremely complicated (every building has at least five outputs to manage), the general tone of the campaign is very harsh and unforgiving.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I feel like cornering Tyrion in the Plain of Dogs with an unbeatable seige for as long as possible so I can invade Ulthuan without him bothering me is a very Dark Elf thing to do.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I don't mind paying that tax on the battlefield but having my archers completely nullified in a castle defense scenario is too steep in my opinion.

Literally every other faction's archers are also outranged by HE archers. Generally what you do in that scenario is abandon the walls temporarily to draw them closer in(since they'll try to arc shot over the walls at you), at which point you move up and return fire. Focusing your towers on them also generally reaps enormous casualties because they need to be stationary to shoot, will often be relatively clumped, and have poo poo armor and no shields.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It is a real counter intuitive thing, though, to not gain range when shooting from a higher position to a lower one. Elevation bonuses in general are pretty obscured.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Speaking of ranged shittery, wood elf dlc seems to be on a small discount at the moment. Thinking of getting it, was looking at their unit stats and the ranges on their archers are just utterly ridiculous. I was reading that WE have some kind of amber currency mechanic thing? What's that? Is it gonna make me hate the dlc?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You choose wood ELVES or WOOD elves and you still have access to the full roster for the campaign, but each unit you recruit may cost amber if it isn't your type of unit.

Amber is gained from alliances, conquering territory, and maybe trade deals? I forget.

You will need amber to rank up your main tree as well which is your campaign ender. Some research also requires it.

If a unit or building is destroyed, you will be refunded that amber, but research takes it away for ever. You will have small negatives if you have a lack of amber.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

kingcom posted:

I mean mannfred is pretty dumb but he hasn't voluntarily burn't himself alive yet as far as I know.

All you had to do was stand in the drat fire Malekith, one second longer and you woulda been vindicated.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The Reprisal Update Beta is out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

madmac posted:

So this means anyone can opt in for foundation updates without Norsca immediately, right?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

JBP posted:

So this means anyone can opt in for foundation updates without Norsca immediately, right?

Right.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm gonna need a longer weekend.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Helman Ghorsts new skill tree for anyone who is interested:

Path to Ruin: +10% Speed, +10% Campaign Movement

Unholy Fury: +7/+15 Melee Attack/Defense

Unnatural Toughness: +12/+25 Armor and +10%/20% Missile Resist

Uncanny Resiliance: +12%/25% HP and +5%/10% Physical Resist

Ever Onward: +300% cooldown for Dance Macabre, but also -2/-3 Wind Cost and -50% Miscast for the same spell.

Basically it gives him a pseudo-combat tree so you can actually use him as a decent melee character instead of just a wheelbarrow with aura effects. The Capstone skill doesn't sound that great, but it means he can overcast Dance Macabre for 3 winds and no miscast chance, which is basically free.

It's a decent improvement for him all around, given that he already got a few perks from the upgraded Caster Skills/Items in Warhammer 2.

Aside from Ghorst it looks like everything else is exactly the same as it was in Warhammer 1, including the nerfed Foundation Skills for guys like Thorgrim and Gelt, and Khazrak is still rocking that sweet -4% recruitment cost for Bestigors, so everything's looking good for old One Eye.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
These vikings breed like loving rats I'm sure glad a Teclis plus militia stack can kill basically infinity of them.

Half a stack plus small garrison when I set sail, upon landing I'm fighting 40+ units with lots of horsemen and trolls.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

These vikings breed like loving rats I'm sure glad a Teclis plus militia stack can kill basically infinity of them.

Half a stack plus small garrison when I set sail, upon landing I'm fighting 40+ units with lots of horsemen and trolls.

The harsh lands breed the savage, says it right in their trailer. Popping up right out of the ground.

Fewd posted:

Speaking of ranged shittery, wood elf dlc seems to be on a small discount at the moment. Thinking of getting it, was looking at their unit stats and the ranges on their archers are just utterly ridiculous. I was reading that WE have some kind of amber currency mechanic thing? What's that? Is it gonna make me hate the dlc?

Welves own. Their heroes and lords can get a trait that gives all ranged units +10% range and it stacks with itself. Stack a few of those and your archers get close to challenging lesser artillery.

If you go Durthu you can run treekin as your main line for no Amber cost - they're 100 armour, ~60 defense monstrous infantry. Generic tree lords have Life access and can get a skill that gives them 20% ward saves. Earth blood + life bloom makes your tree kin immortal.

Their red line has a skill that gives all units in an army +8/8 atk/defence. Bramchwraiths are like slightly shittier vampires with weirder spell choices. You can stack replenishment to disgusting levels, easily bouncing back from ~50% losses in a turn.

Welves own, angry trees powerslamming beastmen forever.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Welch Shiptaker is dead. Had to kill him 6 or 7 times in ~20 turns but it's finally over.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

madmac posted:

Is that the one called mortal_empires_pte?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

Is that the one called mortal_empires_pte?

Yeah.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still think they should just get rid of chariots. They're so annoying and they're too bothersome for a player to use effectively. I'd rather use cavalry in 100% of the situations a chariot would be useful.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The high elf chariots and DOOMWHEELS are actually pretty fun to use

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

jokes posted:

I still think they should just get rid of chariots. They're so annoying and they're too bothersome for a player to use effectively. I'd rather use cavalry in 100% of the situations a chariot would be useful.

The world agrees with you, chariots fell in military disuse in the 1st century because there's not much a point for them when you've got a competently made saddle and strong horses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pendent posted:

The high elf chariots and DOOMWHEELS are actually pretty fun to use

The doomwheel p much the only notable exception but that's mostly because it's not a group of 4 chariots. It's just one big wheely boi. I'd prefer it if chariots (in the form of a doomwheel) was a unique thing that only Skaven get.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Back when chariot warfare was actually a thing guys would have to go clean the battlefield to remove big stones and debris first.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
This beta is perfectly timed just as my Dwarven campaign starts to run out of steam due to a lack of credible opponents.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I’m torn, I’m also in the “meh” camp on chariots. Problem is I’m totally pumped about Tomb Kings and those guys love chariots.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Chariots own, you just have to git gud. :smug:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Chariots are cool and good. (and also really micro intensive)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kainser posted:

The issue is that the computer is SO good at micro intensive poo poo and chariots are really not that devastating they're mostly just annoying. I can use chariots effectively too but they just straight up aren't gonna be as devastating as cavalry, and you're gonna have to work harder to use them effectively.

The concept is fine, but chariots really should just be single-model units with some support features and not used as a fighting thing. I'd rather a wizard or Lord be on a chariot than have a fleet of Surtha Ek chariots running around being generally annoying before ultimately dying with 30 kills each. Compared to a unit of cavalry that can rack up hundreds of kills in like 2 or 3 charges.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't like facing them because they've got buckets of health and armour and glide through my lines to harass archers etc.

But they never actually do much damage if they try to stick around and fight so w/e.

I've never faced a doomwheel. Maybe one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kainser posted:

Chariots are great as a line breaker to disrupt enemy formations before your lines clash. I tried using them like cavalry, the hammer against my line's anvil, and it didn't work that well. Once I started keeping a few to punch holes in the lines and cause some disorder I like them a lot more. Very micro intensive. You need a fighting core that you can just put in a locked group and right click on the enemy without any further management from you to make chariots work that way. But I definitely suffered less casualties in my infantry corp using them.